2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I’ll be ok because I know what to expect lol… Don’t forget, last years team started out 3-0 blowing out Nac and AMC. I’m willing to bet last years consolidated team was better than this years. Only sputter was the opener with legacy. So, we’ll see how Longview and Forney go. Are we 50 points better this time? We didn’t compete with Longview at all last year 

Anyone knows that going into Longview to play is a mountain to climb, and they are a confident bunch at home. All I know is I like what has transpired so far with this 2023 Panther group. This year is different, they are a better team, and yes it is hard to gauge things against so so competition. The difference this year is they are winning by multiple scores while playing their starters about 2 1/2 quarters a game.  Not going to get into anymore discussion of that, that's all past now. That won't be a part of any discussion against AMC, Longview, Forney or Lancaster, even Tyler.

I know where some people's faith does not lie, and maybe some are just waiting for the I told you so moment.  Not leaving myself out of that discussion for I've been on that train before too. I was wrong to be there. My perspectives have changed quite a bit in the last several months, sometimes you find your focus is in the wrong circle. Things can happen to you in your life, or the right people speak in your ear to show one the light. This has nothing to do with how this season will turn out, it has everything to do with how I will accept to enjoy these short seasons, and appreciate more watching the effort our kids put out there each Friday night. We do not see the work that's put in by those kids in the off season to get them to the Friday nights we watch, and then evaluate, sometime harshly, and that is not fair to those kids putting in that work.  Let me emphasize that nothing is perfect in life,  none of us here are perfect , nor can we play football like these current Panther players, or did we ever?  Teams can't be winners all the time, programs are not going to stay on top forever, and coaching football is a darn hard and thankless job.  Some may say it's the nature of their job, however would you be willing to be scrutinized in your job as much as we have our coaches?  I venture to say probably not.

My career was an Electrical Projects Field Engineer, not a HS football coach. I knew and know my trade well, so I wouldn't want a Frito Route salesman to tell me how to do my work, cause I sure don't know his. You get the point, a new perspective that takes a load off my mind, to just support these Panther kids, to enjoy the football season for however it turns out. I have no doubt these 2023 kids will give it their best shot. 

Too much negativity will kill our souls, doesn't matter what it is in life. My change?, life is too short now, can't afford the time for negative thinking. Go Pack!

8 hours ago, Jackedup said:

Today you can catch a couple Angelina county boys on the same field when Boise State takes on Washington.  Former Diboll Lumberjack Herbert Gums #98 for BS will be on field with former Lufkin Panther Ja’Lynn Polk.  Washington is ranked #10

Polk had a touchdown catch today

10 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Lukkin needs to get that O line playing better  or LV will have their behinds, Nac had their way for a while in  the first half loading the box on  our running game.

The amount of run plays I watched with our lineman two yards behind the line of scrimmage is embarrassing. If kedren Young wasn’t out running back we’d be doomed 

8 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

The amount of run plays I watched with our lineman two yards behind the line of scrimmage is embarrassing. If kedren Young wasn’t out running back we’d be doomed 

Yep. Been calling that since before the season started. They aren’t the worst line we’ve had, especially as of recent, but they are average. Teams like Longview will camp out in our backfield. We won’t be able to score enough to keep up. Secondary is very suspect through 2 games as well. At what point do people start becoming concerned about them? 

TJ is playing really well this season so far though. I’ll give him props. He’s hitting throws he would miss last season. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Yep. Been calling that since before the season started. They aren’t the worst line we’ve had, especially as of recent, but they are average. Teams like Longview will camp out in our backfield. We won’t be able to score enough to keep up. Secondary is very suspect through 2 games as well. At what point do people start becoming concerned about them? 

TJ is playing really well this season so far though. I’ll give him props. He’s hitting throws he would miss last season. 

Gavin in the lineup should help the OL blocking. Then again it should not need to be that way. Teams are loading up their D fronts early, hopefully as the passing success continues, teams will need to play us differently on defense. The OL have pass protected well for T.J.

Our secondary has been playing well over all.   That one handed catch by NAC last night was well covered, there was no other way to catch the ball than the way he did, a phenomenal play on his part.  Our secondary has 3 INTs on the year so far.

10 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Anyone knows that going into Longview to play is a mountain to climb, and they are a confident bunch at home. All I know is I like what has transpired so far with this 2023 Panther group. This year is different, they are a better team, and yes it is hard to gauge things against so so competition. The difference this year is they are winning by multiple scores while playing their starters about 2 1/2 quarters a game.  Not going to get into anymore discussion of that, that's all past now. That won't be a part of any discussion against AMC, Longview, Forney or Lancaster, even Tyler.

I know where some people's faith does not lie, and maybe some are just waiting for the I told you so moment.  Not leaving myself out of that discussion for I've been on that train before too. I was wrong. to be there. My perspectives have changed quite a bit in the last several months, sometimes you find your focus is in the wrong circle. Things can happen to you in your life, or the right people speak in your ear to show one the light. This has nothing to do with how this season will turn out, it has everything to do with how I will accept to enjoy these short seasons, and appreciate more watching the effort our kids put out there each Friday night. We do not see the work that's put in by those kids in the off season to get them to the Friday nights we watch, and then evaluate, sometime harshly, and that is not fair to those kids putting in that work.  Let me emphasize that nothing is perfect in life,  none of us here are perfect , nor can we play football like these current Panther players, or did we ever?  Teams can't be winners all the time, programs are not going to stay on top forever, and coaching football is a darn hard and thankless job.  Some may say it's the nature of their job, however would you be willing to be scrutinized in your job as much as we have our coaches?  I venture to say probably not.

My career was an Electrical Projects Field Engineer, not a HS football coach. I knew and know my trade well, so I wouldn't want a Frito Route salesman to tell me how to do my work, cause I sure don't know his. You get the point, a new perspective that takes a load off my mind, to just support these Panther kids, to enjoy the football season for however it turns out. I have no doubt these 2023 kids will give it their best shot. 

Too much negativity will kill our souls, doesn't matter what it is in life. My change?, life is too short now, can't afford the time for negative thinking. Go Pack!

Well Said 

10 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Gavin in the lineup should help the OL blocking. Then again it should not need to be that way. Teams are loading up their D fronts early, hopefully as the passing success continues, teams will need to play us differently on defense. The OL have pass protected well for T.J.

Our secondary has been playing well over all.   That one handed catch by NAC last night was well covered, there was no other way to catch the ball than the way he did, a phenomenal play on his part.  Our secondary has 3 INTs on the year so far.

I think run blocking has to improve but honestly Nac had 7 in the box and at the snap of the ball another LB or S was coming on a stunt. Nac did the same thing to Jorvorskie back in the day. They will sale out to stop the run and Timothy James made them pay Friday night.. Although in the second half credit Cook and the line for making whatever adjustments to get it going. As for the secondary they made 2 ints giving them 3 through 2 games. So not bad. I think we have to credit the Nacogdoches WR he is a future FBS/P5 talent. It's hard asking a CB to guard a high level WR 1 on 1. Outside of QB it's probably the toughest position on the field. How about Lufkin's WRs arguably the deepest group of any team in district. Had it not been for the refs TJ was well on his way to over 400 yards. In 2 weeks we can put all the talking to rest. 

11 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Had it not been for the refs TJ was well on his way to over 400 yards. In 2 weeks we can put all the talking to rest. 

I like how you think 😎 , and I agree.

If the problem running was just a loaded box I wouldn’t be worried. It’s the losing the line of scrimmage that bothers me. Lineman blown backwards off the line. We know better defenses are coming. That’s what has me worried. What happens when normal Dlineman move our guys back and division 1 level linebackers are free to flow. That being said love seeing the pass game take advantage of the box. That was something we struggled with last year. I also think the DBs have played great with the first unit. 

I saw several positives Friday night and few things that concern me. Most of if has already been discussed. Lufkin passing game looked good for most of the night. The Qb and Wrs already look in rhythm. Great confidence booster heading into the thick of our schedule.

Not sure what happened to Gavin though? He didn't play many snaps this game and I only counted one carry for him. I wrote it off as him being banged up a little the game script calling for something else. I hope this was just an outlier. Would hate to see him reduced to just 10-15 snaps a game. 

This marks the 3rd straight week we have mixed an extra point. We did it in the scrimmage and it's still hasn't been fixed 2 games into the season. Thats the type of thing that will bite you against better teams. Lufkin will be operating on thin margins come district. Every point counts in highly contested games. 

Thought the secondary played well.  Despite Lufkin subbing guys in and out. Waters, Timmons and Evan Young are all solid. Nac earned 14 of those points. Our guys were in position to make a play, the WR for Nac just made some great catches. All you can do is tip your hat and try to get him the next play.

Preparation will be key for Lufkin from this point forward. We will be underdogs this week and most of our district games. The Mesquite schools and Tyler are the only games we will not be picked to lose. Great opportunity for the kids to go out and show they are different bunch from past Lufkin teams. 

25 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I saw several positives Friday night and few things that concern me. Most of if has already been discussed. Lufkin passing game looked good for most of the night. The Qb and Wrs already look in rhythm. Great confidence booster heading into the thick of our schedule.

Not sure what happened to Gavin though? He didn't play many snaps this game and I only counted one carry for him. I wrote it off as him being banged up a little the game script calling for something else. I hope this was just an outlier. Would hate to see him reduced to just 10-15 snaps a game. 

This marks the 3rd straight week we have mixed an extra point. We did it in the scrimmage and it's still hasn't been fixed 2 games into the season. Thats the type of thing that will bite you against better teams. Lufkin will be operating on thin margins come district. Every point counts in highly contested games. 

Thought the secondary played well.  Despite Lufkin subbing guys in and out. Waters, Timmons and Evan Young are all solid. Nac earned 14 of those points. Our guys were in position to make a play, the WR for Nac just made some great catches. All you can do is tip your hat and try to get him the next play.

Preparation will be key for Lufkin from this point forward. We will be underdogs this week and most of our district games. The Mesquite schools and Tyler are the only games we will not be picked to lose. Great opportunity for the kids to go out and show they are different bunch from past Lufkin teams. 

I don't think Lufkin will be an underdog or shouldn't be against AMC. They should be able to put it on them if they come to play.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't think Lufkin will be an underdog or shouldn't be against AMC. They should be able to put it on them if they come to play.

I think we win by at least 2-3 TD's from what I saw. The pundits will have us as underdogs. I know DCTF had them ranked much higher than us. Will be interesting to see how much they have them favored. 

Happy Labor Day all. Have taken a little break the past couple says from Panther talk.  There are some things we can now see going into the 3rd and final games of non-district.  Like I said this district looked top heavy on paper in all the main HS discussions.  As I stated, this district is not as cut and dried as everyone thought, it's amazing some of these poll people do not take some factors into consideration.  Lots of it is tradition, what they did last year and certain players coming back, so they can't always be perfect with their calls.

Forney through two games, looks the part of a possible district leader, they have blasted their first two opponents by large margins, then again both Crandall and Frisco Memorial are 5A DII and not ranked. Lancaster won 28-14 against an average 6A Skyline  Ranked #108, then did not hold up well in a 42-21 loss against a very good the #2 ranked 5A DII SOC team.  There may be some questions there?, or is SOC way just better than anyone in 5A DII or maybe 5A DI except for someone named Aledo. 

Lufkin is 2-0 and in the same boat as Forney, beating two less than average programs 6A Legacy and 5A DII Nacogdoches, while playing their starters just over a half. AMC will be a better test this week.  McKinney North was sort of upset by Justin Northwest this past week who was a 6 point underdog, MN did soundly defeat 6A Garland ranked #182.

Tyler won over 5A DII Marshall in 5 OT, then came from behind to beat cross town rival Legacy last week 28-14. We know the quality of Legacy.  West Mesquite lost to 5A DII Kimball, then won 17-14 over 5A DII Mesquite Poteet. North Mesquite is 1-1, defeated a bad North Garland team, and then losing big to Mesquite(1-1), ranked #109 in 6A.  

As I have said, non district play does not count, teams play their rosters differently getting ready for the district run that will make or break their playoff hopes.  There are some teams out there who are not playing as strong as some thought going into the season, and some who are maybe playing a little stronger than some were thinking. Could mean an interesting district race?,  or things just turn out as predicted.  We will see. That's the beauty of playing the games. As for Lufkin, they are going to make it interesting for some folks who don't expect it.  ;)

More later, and your input here would be appreciated.  

This is the schedule this week for 7-5A DI:  DCTF point spreads.

5A DI  A&M Consolidated (2-0) at Lufkin (2-0)   -  Lufkin  - 7

6A Tyler Legacy (0-2) at Longview (1-1)    -   Longview  +36

Forney (2-0) at  5A DII  Mesquite Poteet (0-2)   -   Forney  +23

6A  Chisholm Trail (1-1) at West Mesquite (1-1)  -  Chisolm Trail  +8

North Mesquite (1-1) at 6A North Forney (2-0)  -  North Forney  +16

6A Mesquite Horn (2-0) at Tyler (2-0)  -   Mesquite Horn  +32

McKinney North (1-1) at 5A DII   Frisco Memorial (0-2)   -  McKinney North  +16

6A Denton Guyer  (1-1) at Lancaster (1-1)   -  Denton Guyer  +9   

In this weeks 5A DI Top 10, Lancaster dropped out of the Top 10 after losing to South Oak Cliff 42-21.  Aledo retained their #1 position defeating 6A Denton Guyer 48-45. Longview moved back to # 2 defeating the Marshall Mavericks.

1. Aledo (2-0)

2. Longview  (1-1)

3.  Mansfield Timberview  (2-0)

4. Port Arthur Memorial  (2-0)

5.  Flushear (2-0)

6. Frisco Reedy (2-0)

7. Denton Ryan  (1-0)

8. Smithson Valley  (1-1)

9.  Abilene  (2-0)

10.  PSJA North  (2-0)

42 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

This is the schedule this week for 7-5A DI:  DCTF point spreads.

5A DI  A&M Consolidated (2-0) at Lufkin (2-0)   -  Lufkin  - 7

6A Tyler Legacy (0-2) at Longview (1-1)    -   Longview  +36

Forney (2-0) at  5A DII  Mesquite Poteet (0-2)   -   Forney  +23

6A  Chisholm Trail (1-1) at West Mesquite (1-1)  -  Chisolm Trail  +8

North Mesquite (1-1) at 6A North Forney (2-0)  -  North Forney  +16

6A Mesquite Horn (2-0) at Tyler (2-0)  -   Mesquite Horn  +32

McKinney North (1-1) at 5A DII   Frisco Memorial (0-2)   -  McKinney North  +16

6A Denton Guyer  (1-1) at Lancaster (1-1)   -  Denton Guyer  +9   

As I mentioned earlier. Lufkin will be the underdog from here on out. With the exception of about 3 opponents. The Mesquite schools and maybe Tyler High. Great opportunity for our guys to go out earn some respect. 

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

As I mentioned earlier. Lufkin will be the underdog from here on out. With the exception of about 3 opponents. The Mesquite schools and maybe Tyler High. Great opportunity for our guys to go out earn some respect. 

Not sure this weeks non district schedule will help tell us anything about 7-5A DI district play.  Everything is different when district begins.

Lancaster will play by far the strongest non district, playing Duncanville, South Oak Cliff and Denton Guyer. After that schedule, it's frankly a toss up with the rest of 7-5A DI, however Forney may end up playing the weakest non district playing three 5A DII teams.   Don't believe that negates in any way how good they will be in district. Regardless of Lancaster's record coming into district play, those guys have seen more talent than they will see in 7-5A DI and that includes Longview.  Longview is working through their own specific adjustments.  McKinney North doesn't seem be meeting expectations. Lufkin could be headed into the same scenario as last season, headed into district against Longview at 3-0.  What a task to play @ Longview and and then Forney at home two weeks in a row. 

This season is racing now, only have one more week to test all the components and fix the things that need improvement. Panthers have a few things to still correct, overall I like what I've seen so far, so let it continue.  Go Pack!

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

This season is racing now, only have one more week to test all the components and fix the things that need improvement. Panthers have a few things to still correct, overall I like what I've seen so far, so let it continue.  Go Pack!

How did you feel after last years 3-0 start? Serious question, not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything.