2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I hate to be this guy but if we can beat Lancaster by what 8 or 6 points that would put us in the playoffs 😂

They don’t deserve it. Horrible coaching and passing game…mostly because we don’t have a Qb and OC. We definitely have good receivers…

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Im just saying why else would he stay this long. I think Quick stays one more year because they will return a lot next season and I think he believes they can win with that group. This year was a major disappointment.

What the heck is he going to do diffetent than what he did this year. Keeping Inadequate coaching on staff. If he can't win with these last two groups, he won't win with next year's group. You can bank money on it.

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

Am I the only one that think Green intentionally sabotages games sometimes? I'm probably wrong, but it sure feels like it.

Either that or the worst OC in East Texas

51 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I hate to be this guy but if we can beat Lancaster by what 8 or 6 points that would put us in the playoffs 😂

I can hear the spin from Quick now. 

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

What the heck is he going to do diffetent than what he did this year. Keeping Inadequate coaching on staff. If he can't win with these last two groups, he won't win with next year's group. You can bank money on it.

I don't think we will be in a nearly as challenging district. Maybe it will be smoke and mirror wins until we play a team with equal talent but we will see that's for sure lol

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I can hear the spin from Quick now. 

Honestly the Tyler coach is an idiot for not trying to score a TD. He essentially eliminated them from the playoffs because they're not going to beat Longview or Forney. Tyler is at a -4 right now. A Lufkin 6 point win would put us at +3 and Lancaster +1. Matter in fact we could probably beat them by 5 and get in because the tie breaker then would go to head to head. So everyone praising the Tyler coach when he obviously failed at mathematics. I couldn't believe they kneeled the ball. That's just not being aware of the situation.

35 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

They don’t deserve it. Horrible coaching and passing game…mostly because we don’t have a Qb and OC. We definitely have good receivers…

But I'm just saying that was a dumb decision to kneel the ball. If Quick did something like that you guys would come unglued lol. That just wasn't smart. I guess they could beat Longview or Forney but good luck with that. That's just not being aware of the situation. 

30 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

But I'm just saying that was a dumb decision to kneel the ball. If Quick did something like that you guys would come unglued lol. That just wasn't smart. I guess they could beat Longview or Forney but good luck with that. That's just not being aware of the situation. 

Probably wasn’t aware of the situation but foolish regardless if true. 

The Lufkin Panthers hit the road to Rose Stadium knowing their room for error was gone. After another close loss, their playoff chances are virtually done as well.

Ashton Arriaga ran for 112 yards on 28 carries, UCLA commit Derrick McFall hauled in 3 passes for 97 yards, including a 70-yard touchdown, and the Tyler Lions handed the Panthers a devastating 23-20 loss in District 7-5A DI action Friday night.

The loss doesn’t officially eliminate Lufkin from the playoff chase, although it would need back-to-back wins and a ton of unlikely help from the rest of the district in order to snap a two-game stretch of not making the playoffs.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/tyler-holds-off-panthers-23-20/article_06158a17-4396-5481-a853-29dcb89f8c0e.html

Kedren Young had another big night for Lufkin, finishing with 138 yards and two scores on 20 carries. He moved within 24 yards of Jorvorskie Lane for the school’s all-time career rushing record.

Unfortunately for the Pack, it wasn’t quite enough on a night Lufkin sorely needed a win.

“The kids played hard,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “They fought their tails off. That’s hard to handle.”

T.J. Hammond finished the night completing 12-of-31 passes for 118 yards. Brayden Murphy had another nice night with five receptions for 63 yards.

A week after a first-half offensive explosion between Lufkin and McKinney North, the defenses controlled the first two quarters with the teams combining for 237 yards and 16 points.

Tyler had its longest drive of the half on the opening possession when it drove 63 yards on 13 plays before settling for a Marvin Espinal 25-yard field goal that made it 3-0 with 6:45 left in the first quarter.

Lufkin finally got its offense going on its first drive of the second quarter. The Panthers were sparked by a 35-yard pass from Hammond to Murphy before Krisean Preston hauled in a 12-yard pass to get to the Tyler 1. After a Lufkin false start, Young ran the option out of the shotgun and kept the ball for a 6-yard touchdown run that put the Panthers on top 7-3.

Lufkin’s defense led to offense later in the first half when Isaiah Menefee made a perfect read and picked it off before returning it deep in Tyler territory.

The drive stalled before Nolan Hansard knocked through a 26-yard field goal that made it 10-3 with 4:15 left in the half.

Tyler put together another sustained drive before the half with Espinal booting through a 27-yard field goal that made it 10-6 just 14 seconds before the teams went to the locker room.

Tyler’s offense used the big play to get back on the board when Caden Granberry hit UCLA commit Derrick McFall on a deep ball that made it 13-10 with 8:32 left in the third quarter.

Granberry finished the night with 185 passing yards and two touchdowns on 9-of-19 passing.

A stagnant Lufkin offense got a spark from a familiar face when Young took a handoff and found a huge hole before shaking off a pair of late tackles on a 70-yard touchdown run that gave Lufkin the lead back at 17-13 with 5:41 left in the third quarter.

Tyler regained the lead late in the third quarter when Keondre’ Powers caught a 3-yard touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone from Granberry, putting the Lions on top 20-17.

Lufkin responded with a time-consuming drive that culminated with a Hansard 28-yard field goal, tying it at 20-20 with 8:44 remaining.

The battle of field goals continued on Tyler’s next possession, which culminated with a 22-yard boot from Espinal, putting the Lions on top 23-20 with 5:13 remaining.

Tyler had a chance to run out the clock after forcing a quick three and out, but Lufkin’s defense held strong, setting up the offense for one final chance.

But Tyler’s Aidan Keyes intercepted a pass to end any Lufkin hopes.

Lufkin returns to action Friday when it hosts West Mesquite for Senior Night.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I think it was more him just wanting to secure the win. And playing the numbers game. What are the chances of Lufkin beating Lancaster vs them potentially turning the ball over and Lufkin possibly scoring. When it's all said and done, neither will be moving on. Unless Forney decides to rest most of their players the last game and give Tyler a shot. 

Tyler coaches aren't perfect. I did see some head scratching moments. McFalls should be more involved in that offense. He's too dynamic of a player not to have more touches. But of course it's hard to out bad Lufkin when it comes to coaching. Lol

The only team we have managed to beat. Is the bottom dweller. And we struggled with them well into the second half of that game. It's just a bad look for this program.

7 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I think it was more him just wanting to secure the win. And playing the numbers game. What are the chances of Lufkin beating Lancaster vs them potentially turning the ball over and Lufkin possibly scoring. When it's all said and done, neither will be moving on. Unless Forney decides to rest most of their players the last game and give Tyler a shot. 

Tyler coaches aren't perfect. I did see some head scratching moments. McFalls should be more involved in that offense. He's too dynamic of a player not to have more touches. But of course it's hard to out bad Lufkin when it comes to coaching. Lol

The only team we have managed to beat. Is the bottom dweller. And we struggled with them well into the second half of that game. It's just a bad look for this program.

I think the statistical probability would of favored them trying to score and us beating Lancaster. Because they're not beating Longview or Forney. It was just dumb no way around it. That TD would of at least given them a chance. Now they have to beat Longview or Forney when they didn't have to.

Literally every other 5A district is weaker then this. We had 3 teams that were in the top 10 this year at some point and another that's around the top 15 and 2 of the 4 teams had been in the top 3 at some point. I don't won't to hear anything about being in a weaker district mind set next season is why they're winning. 3 of the 4 playoff teams in this district will be in 6A next year. Lufkin would have made the Playoffs literally in every other district in 5A this year. Some of you guys are acting like they're losing to bad teams and that's not the case. Longview has boat raced everyone except Forney. Lufkin has been in every game this year except Longview. So yeah they're going to absolutely benefit next season not being in a district like this. I'm going to take those wins just the same. I don't care. I'll enjoy beating up on Baytown Goose Greek idgaf. We earned an easy district after being stuck in this that made absolutely 0 sense from the beginning.

27 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Lancaster is gonna kick Lufkins a$$. They are starting to roll and a lot will be on the line for them that night. We are done, as we always are with this staff. We’re gonna have to bank on being in a “weaker” district in order to make the playoffs. What a mind set 🙄

Did you even play in HS? Serious question and not the kid you pretended to be.

8 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Literally every other 5A district is weaker then this. We had 3 teams that were in the top 10 this year at some point and another that's around the top 15 and 2 of the 4 teams had been in the top 3 at some point. I don't won't to hear anything about being in a weaker district mind set next season is why they're winning. 3 of the 4 playoff teams in this district will be in 6A next year. Lufkin would have made the Playoffs literally in every other district in 5A this year. Some of you guys are acting like they're losing to bad teams and that's not the case. Longview has boat raced everyone except Forney. Lufkin has been in every game this year except Longview. So yeah they're going to absolutely benefit next season not being in a district like this. I'm going to take those wins just the same. I don't care. I'll enjoy beating up on Baytown Goose Greek idgaf. We earned an easy district after being stuck in this that made absolutely 0 sense from the beginning.

I agree Lufkin has been in some games. I also agree they are talented. The problem is they still play bad football. Good district or not you can’t watch these games and tell me it’s good football. The only team I’ve seen play worse football might be Legacy and Nac. I see a team that honestly should be 7-1 but they are what their record says they are. 

18 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Probably agree with what your saying, except if your going to be a good program (Longview), you have to beat good teams. I think it's a failure on our coaches part not to be able to coach theses kids to win big games and finish at least 4th place the last two years. Especially on the offense side with a kid like Kedren. For them not to do a better job of building a really goof OL around him to highlight his abilities is a failure, even if you must play some guys both ways. The OC ability to be creative limits any really good talent IMO, that is the loadstone of this program right now.

Last night I watched Lufkin has a few issues. Once again we couldn’t block to save our lives. On the final drive our best offensive weapon was left in to pass protect. Qb had no time. The entire offense scheme makes no sense. On defense we have no pass rush. Our line is getting worn down because they are absorbing blocks the whole time. Team speed isn’t there. The Tyler team was fast. We are not. It showed. They are strong. We are not. It showed. 

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Probably agree with what your saying, except if your going to be a good program (Longview), you have to beat good teams. I think it's a failure on our coaches part not to be able to coach theses kids to win big games and finish at least 4th place the last two years. Especially on the offense side with a kid like Kedren. For them not to do a better job of building a really goof OL around him to highlight his abilities is a failure, even if you must play some guys both ways. The OC ability to be creative limits any really good talent IMO, that is the loadstone of this program right now.

I agree. We should have definitely had a better showing but I'm just being real about the situation next season. Lufkin won't be in a district remotely close to this and I don't think we need to hold that against them.