2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

I get the whole 6A schools having bigger enrollment. But those won't be large 6A schools next year. The fact is Lufkin has run out of excuses. The being stuck in a district with larger schools excuse was started when Outlaw was still present. We drop in classification and it's still an excuse. There is nothing Lufkin can do about that. There will always be a few schools who enrollment on snapshot day will not be the same during district play. It's the price we pay when being place in  DFW/GHA districts. Those areas are growing, and as a result, so are the schools. It's funny, because Lufkin hasn't done anything at the 5A level. I think we have won a total of 2 district championships while being in 5A? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. All of Lufkin playoff success has come at the higher classification. We even failed to anything when we where one of the larger schools in our old 5A district with JT and Ennis. The cause of most of Lufkin failures, can be pointed at in one direction.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I think about 5A DIl South Oak Cliff playing 6A Duncanville and Desoto  in non district.  Yea, they get beat, but it sure gets them ready any 5A Dll competition that comes along. They beat Lancaster 42-21 this year too.  They might be able to beat Longview and Forney.

4 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Could you imagine a creative mind with that talent at WR and a stud D1 RB like Kedren in the backfield? Holy opportunity. 

All it would take is to move the two quick inside recievers  to a wing position close to the tackles. Numerous option plays, sweeps, counters, and reverses could be used. Plus the power plays and sweeps with Kedron and you can bet Preston and the other big reciever would get alot of one on one coverage on the option and play action passes. You do not need a huge line to do this utilizing trap and option gap blocking

7 hours ago, purplehaze said:

All it would take is to move the two quick inside recievers  to a wing position close to the tackles. Numerous option plays, sweeps, counters, and reverses could be used. Plus the power plays and sweeps with Kedron and you can bet Preston and the other big reciever would get alot of one on one coverage on the option and play action passes. You do not need a huge line to do this utilizing trap and option gap blocking

Lufkin needs to have to ability to play 21 personal 12 personal. All we ever see is 11 and 20. I've been saying going double tight to help out the offensive line. We could do other things to. Like I was saying earlier. Green needs a stud QB who can make plays off script like Kordell was doing. 

Here is an update on Lufkin's 2023 non-district opponents record in their district play to date:

Huntsville   4-3, 3-0  (2nd place)

Tyler Legacy  2-5, 2-1   (2nd place)

Nacogdoches  3-5, 1-3  (6th place)

A&M Consolidated  5-2, 3-1  (3rd place)

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers fell to 4-3 overall and 1-3 in district with a 43-36 loss to the McKinney North Bulldogs at home Friday night. Lufkin returns to action at 7 Friday night when it travels to Tyler’s Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium to take on the Tyler Lions.

Q What was the overall impression of the offense on a night it scored 39 points but came up a little short?

A There was a part of the second half where we slowed down a little and it cost us. We have to eliminate those lulls and play throughout. For the most part, I thought we moved the ball and stuck with the game plan. When they packed the box, we were able to make some plays in the air. When they laid back, we got the ground game going. For most of the night, we took what they gave us. Now we have to focus on taking advantage of every possession.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_0b345d61-6fc8-5bde-8849-a5dcf7f95324.html

Q What were some of the defensive areas that can improve after the McKinney North game?

A There were a bunch of times the defense was in the right position to make plays and we didn’t make them. We’ve got to do a better job of finishing plays. We got them in four different third and longs and didn’t get off the field. That led to two scores. We fought our tail off to get them in the spots we want to put them in then didn’t finish the play when we had a chance.

Q How important is it to get all three phases of the game going over the final three weeks?

A We gave up one long return where we weren’t in the right spots. Other than that, I thought our special teams gave us good opportunities. We punted well and our extra points and field goals were good. At this state of the season, you have to have all three phases working well. You need to be efficient. You shouldn’t have to be working on the same thing every week. We have to finish plays in every phases of the game.

Q What is the focus going into the final three weeks of the regular season?

A It’s all still there for us if we win. The kids know that. But it all starts with taking care of the next snap, the next series, the next quarter. You’ve got to take care of the moment and everything else will take care of itself.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

3 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers fell to 4-3 overall and 1-3 in district with a 43-36 loss to the McKinney North Bulldogs at home Friday night. Lufkin returns to action at 7 Friday night when it travels to Tyler’s Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium to take on the Tyler Lions.

Q What was the overall impression of the offense on a night it scored 39 points but came up a little short?

A There was a part of the second half where we slowed down a little and it cost us. We have to eliminate those lulls and play throughout. For the most part, I thought we moved the ball and stuck with the game plan. When they packed the box, we were able to make some plays in the air. When they laid back, we got the ground game going. For most of the night, we took what they gave us. Now we have to focus on taking advantage of every possession.

Q What were some of the defensive areas that can improve after the McKinney North game?

A There were a bunch of times the defense was in the right position to make plays and we didn’t make them. We’ve got to do a better job of finishing plays. We got them in four different third and longs and didn’t get off the field. That led to two scores. We fought our tail off to get them in the spots we want to put them in then didn’t finish the play when we had a chance.

Q How important is it to get all three phases of the game going over the final three weeks?

A We gave up one long return where we weren’t in the right spots. Other than that, I thought our special teams gave us good opportunities. We punted well and our extra points and field goals were good. At this state of the season, you have to have all three phases working well. You need to be efficient. You shouldn’t have to be working on the same thing every week. We have to finish plays in every phases of the game.

Q What is the focus going into the final three weeks of the regular season?

A It’s all still there for us if we win. The kids know that. But it all starts with taking care of the next snap, the next series, the next quarter. You’ve got to take care of the moment and everything else will take care of itself.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Same old answer's

I'm not saying much more. Things will play out just as I have already figured.  In defense of Josh Havard/LDN, he knows the truth, he has his own private thoughts about the state of the football program here. The fact is that he is not allowed, the school district owns the media in Lufkin. So, softball questions is all that is allowed or they get nothing. Josh is a good guy he has been around long enough to know the real deal. Hey, even Gary Ivins is frustrated with the Pack losing.  I'm sure Caleb Beames is a good guy too, and as much as he knows about reporting sports, seems blinded by the difference between the Outlaw led program and Quick led program. There's no comparison.

We have a three peat staring us in the face, and not in a good way for a football program.  The results tell us everything, there is no way to skirt the truth or say enough words to cover up the facts you see.  Spin it, try to scrub it or cause a diversion, whatever you want to try, but these coaches have this program again in this position, the need to win three games in a row to make the playoffs, to make 4th place.  ????, how do the LISD people ignore ?   Same thing happen in 2022 and in 2021, we already know how that worked out. I'm not saying this is impossible, because I know what talent is on this team, and you have to hope the trend is broken.  If they do make the playoffs, does this stem the tide of frustration temporarily?  What are your odds?  

There is one decision that Lufkin made. That has altered the trajectory of this program every season since. Yet nobody ever talks about it. Sure coaching is an issue and honestly talent has been at times. But if you cannot see. The negative impact. That switching to the gray face masks. Has made on this program as a whole. Then you honestly have your head in the sand and quite frankly hate this team and town. #bebetter #bringbackthepurple #🎱 #einhornisaman

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Tyler throws the ball about 75% of the time, your thought on Panther D defending?

WR McFall is their deep threat. Tyler Soph QB Granberry is a small guy (5'7" - 150) with a big arm.

There offense is just as bad as ours. They're pretty good against the run. They do struggle in the back end a little bit. It's going to be interesting because both teams have to have this one. Lufkin is probably the slight favorite and should win it but Tyler is more then capable. I'm expecting a close game.

2 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

There is one decision that Lufkin made. That has altered the trajectory of this program every season since. Yet nobody ever talks about it. Sure coaching is an issue and honestly talent has been at times. But if you cannot see. The negative impact. That switching to the gray face masks. Has made on this program as a whole. Then you honestly have your head in the sand and quite frankly hate this team and town. #bebetter #bringbackthepurple #🎱 #einhornisaman

LOL, that could be it. Thanks for the laugh.

On 10/17/2023 at 8:35 PM, LufkinPack said:

As dumb and lazy minded green is, the guy that coaches the O-line might be the laziest SOB I’ve ever seen. Straight bum. Someone needs to send his a$$ to the tire shop with the rest of the family. 

------!!!

The visitor side crowd at the NM game was decent size. Not sure how many made the trip from Lufkin, or ex-Lufkin folks stopping by from the DFW area? Maybe some locals just came to watch a game. 

There was not much traffic headed back to Lufkin, which tells me at least half of those visitors did not drive from Lufkin.  Tyler is an easier and closer trip. Football parents, and the band and drill team folks will always travel. 

This game is a make or break game for both teams, loser is out of the playoff race. There will be a few fans who travel to see it. If Pack loses, there will be no reason to travel to Lancaster, and thankfully my game streak will end. It was going to anyway, the next time we went to Longview, never going back there again, after the stupid ticket and phone, almost arrested incident. I'm still pissed.

These are desperate times for Panther football fans. One last gasp ahead.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

If Pack loses, there will be no reason to travel to Lancaster, and thankfully my game streak will end.

If the Lancaster game is pointless, you’re gonna skip out? That’s one heck of a streak but I don’t blame ya one bit. I think from 1999-2019 I missed maybe 15 games. But haven’t been back since that 19 season. 

This last little bit ahead of us feels like the end of that titanic movie, you just kinda hold your breath and stay afloat as long as you can until the inevitable happens. The inevitable is coming. 

4 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

If the Lancaster game is pointless, you’re gonna skip out? That’s one heck of a streak but I don’t blame ya one bit. I think from 1999-2019 I missed maybe 15 games. But haven’t been back since that 19 season. 

This last little bit ahead of us feels like the end of that titanic movie, you just kinda hold your breath and stay afloat as long as you can until the inevitable happens. The inevitable is coming. 

As B.B. King sang it, "The thrill is gone". You know, I'm free, free now, baby I'm free from your spell, Oh, free, free, free now, baby, I'm free from your spell And now that it's all over, All that I can do is wish you well. LOL