2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

3 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

They're going to return 16 starters next year. They will be as experienced team as we've had in a while. 

The question the becomes, will that matter, what development do we expect over the next 9 months, who steps up more on both lines?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, timeout! said:

We have seen this movie a million times and know how it ends. Lufkin in a competitive district prob misses the playoffs next year. I know this staff all too well. Green is losing his workhorse back, that he has leaned on for 3 years now. And still was unable to crack a playoff spot. So he won't have a get out of jail card. And I suspect will struggle getting the offense moving. Despite some of his flaws, TJ was a 3 year starter and worked hard at the position. Just wasn't always put in the best position to be successful. Johnson will have to take his lumps early on. I would feel better about him, if he had more meaningful playing time this year. In retrospect, he prob should've spent another year on JV getting some reps. A great off season could set him up for good year. I think it will take some time though. 

Breaking in those two positions alone will be a challenge. I think Lufkin could get a spot in a really weak district. Which really wouldn't mean much. If you facing a team from a really competitive district like the one we are in now. Best case scenario is prob one and done next year. I think the defense will be much improved. But you have to be able to score points at some point. Not sure the OL problems get fixed over the next year.

I think they will 100% make the playoffs next season. In reality a lot of good teams would have struggled to make the playoffs in this district. Of course the district is going to be weaker next season because there will be nothing close to this that would geographically be able to put together. They return a ton of starters and I think not having Kedren may actually open things up for the offense. I think we got carried away trying to feed him. They played toe to toe with some really good teams this year. Forney, Lancaster are Top 10 caliber teams and McKinney North was Top 15. I looking forward to next season. I think they will definitely be a factor to make a run.

4 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

The question the becomes, will that matter, what development do we expect over the next 9 months, who steps up more on both lines?

That will be up to the kids at the end of the day. Put in what you get out. The off season workouts are tough from what my kid tells me. I really think it's up to the individual kid to put in the extra extra work. I'm really excited about this group next season. I think they have a chance to be really good next season. They're returning a bunch of kids that have done nothing but win in their class. 

One thing that gets lost with all of the bytching and complaining is the fact that there were seniors who played their very last football game ever last night. So good luck to those kids with their futures. 

We can’t do anything about the staff so like PN said, 16 returning starters next season is a little something to look forward to. If we can put 10 games together like the one we played last night we can win a bunch of football games. 26 rushing yards from Kedren and a terrible O-line and we still almost beat Lancaster in their house. Let that sink in. That’s a team that took Guyer down to the wire, and put 35 points on Longviews defense. 

18 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

That will be up to the kids at the end of the day. Put in what you get out. The off season workouts are tough from what my kid tells me. I really think it's up to the individual kid to put in the extra extra work. I'm really excited about this group next season. I think they have a chance to be really good next season. They're returning a bunch of kids that have done nothing but win in their class. 

I do believe you are right. It is up to the athlete. Tough workouts and effective aren’t always the same thing. I just hope the kids grow and we can have a good season next year. Every football player deserves a chance to get playoff football. 

I do want to add thanks for the insight into what’s happening. 

52 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think they will 100% make the playoffs next season. In reality a lot of good teams would have struggled to make the playoffs in this district. Of course the district is going to be weaker next season because there will be nothing close to this that would geographically be able to put together. They return a ton of starters and I think not having Kedren may actually open things up for the offense. I think we got carried away trying to feed him. They played toe to toe with some really good teams this year. Forney, Lancaster are Top 10 caliber teams and McKinney North was Top 15. I looking forward to next season. I think they will definitely be a factor to make a run.

I'm in all on the defense. I would like to see them switch to a 4-3 next year. Alexander is too good to be playing backup to Zion. Still don't understand why the Murphy kid at LB didn't get more playing time. He made plays every time he was on the field. Reminds me of Mandela Roberts with that quick burst to the ball. I don't know what Quick plans are for next year. But I would have Murphy starting at one of the LB positions, Hoop in the middle, and I would like to see Carson Jones get a shot at a spot. I keep telling people that kid is head hunter. I believe the entire secondary returns and now you can move Hood into the starting lineup at DE. Lufkin isn't lacking for any talent on defense. 

We had opportunities to win all of our games in the 4th qtr, except Longview. Nothing we could've done to walk out of that place with a win. The other games were winnable. We just need better OL play and play calling. McNorth was the only game outside of Longview our defense just fell apart. 

I hope the kids do well next season. I'm not holding my breathe though. We will be entering year 13 with Quick and not much has changed in most of those years. My guess is we will still have OL issues. 

Hey, I went to the game, stayed overnight in Denton with a close friend who was my Panther traveling buddy for many years, then returned this evening. Since he left here he has been watching Denton Guyer football, his daughter teaches there.

I'm tired, haven't joined in with your discussion much because it doesn't matter to me right now. I hear you PN, I heard you before this year too. You said 2025 was the big year, I know this district has been a tough one the past two years, but even with some good young talent we are not making the playoffs any more. Don't believe it matters if we have 15 DI prospects coming back next year. You will never convince me otherwise at this moment in time. Why would it, we had a 4 Star RB for the last three years, and finished in 6th place the last two.  It's going to take a lot more than telling me we have 15 returning starters to make me think the results will be better. I'm always pissed off when we miss the playoffs. I lay the gaunlet at Coach Quick's feet.

11 minutes ago, Webleedpurple said:

I am ready to put my Purple shades back on. I can't wait for next season.

Why is that??   We miss the playoffs three years in a row. I need to see proof.

Thankfully this will be the last Panther football game results discussion of the year.  

LANCASTER – The Lufkin Panthers used a ton of heart to send their season from the brink of disaster to the verge of a playoff spot.

Unfortunately, just four minutes from pulling off a near miracle, that effort simply ended in heartbreak.

Emmanuel Choice hauled in a 9-yard touchdown pass from Carter Jones with 3:50 remaining, and the Lancaster Tigers punched their own playoff ticket with a 28-27 win at Tiger Stadium on Friday night.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/lufkin-s-playoff-bid-falls-just-short/article_df9c5e68-e2d7-5d8b-a28c-761165836b88.html

The loss ended Lufkin’s season shy of the playoffs for the third-straight season, ending an improbable run that saw the Panthers start district 1-4 before falling just short.

Lufkin entered the night needing a win by at least five points mixed with a Tyler loss to Forney.

Both parts of the equation were in play.

After Tyler fell to Forney, 53-29, Kedren Young scored on an 8-yard run with 7:09 remaining to put the Panthers on top 27-21, a result that would have put the Pack back in the playoffs.

However, a talented Lancaster that opened the season ranked fourth in the state had just enough answers to turn away a determined Lufkin squad.

Kewan Lacy led the Tigers with 200 yards and a touchdown on 30 carries.

With the Tigers keying on Young most the night, big nights from T.J. Hammond and Krisean Preston gave the Panthers a shot.

Hammond finished the night with 258 yards and a pair of scores on 19-of-31 passing. His top target was Krisean Preston, who had five catches for 124 yards and a touchdown.

The Panthers spent the first half looking like they had some final-night magic.

Lancaster started the game with a strong drive of its own when Amontia Hatton made an interception to end the threat.

The Panthers immediately responded with Hammond hitting Ke’Vondrick Taylor for a 30-yard pass. The drive stalled, but Nolan Hansard pinned the Tigers at their own 2 with a 57-yard punt.

Desmen Hood came up with another big play for Lufkin with a sack that ended a drive, giving the Panthers outstanding field position.

However, Lancaster got a big defensive play of its own from Jerbrandin Henderson when he picked off a pass in the end zone.

The Tigers responded with a Mark’kel Porter 51-yard run that set up a Zyon Stewart 18-yard touchdown run, giving the home team a 7-0 lead with 12 seconds left in the first quarter.

What had been a stagnant Lufkin offense got a shot in the arm from the special teams when BacQuari Murphy converted a fake punt for a first down.

That was eventually the catalyst for a 10-play, 70-yard drive that culminated with an 11-yard touchdown pass from Hammond to Murphy, knotting it up at 7-7 with 7:18 left before the break.

The Tigers eventually had a chance to regain the lead, but a 26-yard field goal was off the mark with 47 seconds left.

That allowed the Panthers one final chance for some late fireworks.

Using Hammond’s arm to move the ball down the field, the Panthers advanced to the Lancaster 34 with one second remaining on the clock.

Hammond dropped back and unleashed a deep pass that seemed destined for the arms of a Lancaster defender. However, the pass went right through his hands and Brayden Murphy was there to make the 34-yard touchdown grab, sending the Panthers into the break with a 14-7 lead and 24 minutes from ending a two-year playoff drought.

With Young held to 14 yards on his first 11 carries in the first half, it was Hammond who carried the Pack in the opening half. He finished the first two quarters with 157 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 10-of-14 passing.

Lancaster’s Lacy had 103 rushing yards before the break.

It didn’t take Lancaster long to steal the momentum after the break with Kameron Robinson intercepting a pass near midfield.

Lacy went to work from there as he carried the Tigers down the field. With Lufkin keyed on the run game, Lancaster used playaction with Carter Jones hitting Zyon Stewart for a nine-yard touchdown that tied it at 14-14 with 7:43 left in the third quarter.

Lufkin responded on the following drive. After being pushed back to its own 5-yard line, Krisean Preston hauled in a nice 28-yard reception.

An offsides on Lancaster kept the drive alive and Lufkin went to its bag of trick plays with Young taking a pitch from Hammond before hitting Preston for a 41-yard touchdown pass that made it 21-14 with 4:11 left in the third quarter.

Lufkin got the defensive play that looked like it would finally give it some breathing room when it forced a turnover on downs just before the end of the third quarter.

However, disaster struck one play later when a fumble turned into a long return, setting Lancaster up at the Lufkin 2.

Two plays later, Lacy scored on a 3-yard run, tying the game again at 21-21 one play into the third quarter.

Lufkin responded with an 11-play, 72-yard drive that finished with Young’s 8-yard touchdown run, putting the Panthers back on top 27-21 with 7:09 remaining after the snap was mishandled on the extra point.

Lancaster still wasn’t done as Jones hit Emmanuel Choice for a 9-yard touchdown in the left corner of the end zone, putting the Tigers on top 28-27 with 3:50 remaining.

Lancaster followed that up by forcing a turnover on downs on four plays. They ran out the clock from there to secure the win and a postseason berth.

Lufkin finished the year with a 5-5 record.

Josh Havard's email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Kedren Young had 17 rushes for 26 yards, a 1.53 YPC average in his last game as a Lufkin Panther.  He finishes with 3936 total yards rushing in his 3 years as a Panther starter.

Lufkin's record is 21-20 the last 4 years (6-5, 4-6, 6-4, 5-5). 

District 7-5A DI FINAL 2023 STANDINGS:

School Name *W-L *Pct. *PF *PA W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
Longview 7-0 1.000 283 67 9-1 0.900 380 104 9 W
Forney 6-1 0.875 331 103 9-1 0.909 510 113 5 W
McKinney North 5-2 0.714 214 204 7-3 0.700 343 244 1 W
Lancaster 4-3 0.625 263 189 5-5 0.545 332 273 4 W
Tyler 3-4 0.429 183 192 6-4 0.600 276 254 2 L
Lufkin 2-6 0.250 206 234 5-6 0.455 308 286 2 L
West Mesquite 1-6 0.143 78 336 3-7 0.300 147 385 5 L
North Mesquite 0-8 0.000 72 305 1-10 0.091 123 393 10 L

District 7-5A vs District 8-5A DI Playoff schedule.

#3 McKinney North at #2 Barbers Hill

#4 Lancaster at #1 La Porte

#4 New Caney Porter at #1 Longview 

#3 Port Arthur Memorial at #2 Forney

22 hours ago, mr. b said:

I still say lots of purple kool-aid here.  I went back and read posts from earlier in the year.  We were going to have 7-3, 8-2 year.  I read our QB better than Tutt at Longview and how we are loaded with talent.   Sorry to say but without Young we probably lose 3 more games this year at least.  Next year we still have no QB that can consistently get the ball downfield to some talented receivers.  Still won’t have an OL to open any holes for a new unproven RB.  Maybe will get some move ins?   Defense will be returning lots of starters.  This year I think their talent was pretty much over estimated also.  Big Hooper did impress me though.  The big guy up front needs to play with some of his intensity and be more dominant next year.   Needs to be an everydown player instead every other or even less.   I guess long time until next season but look forward to all the posts about how we will dominate the new district.  

I agree with a lot of what you said. Our defense was slightly over rated in my opinion. Zion needs some  conditioning because I watched him and he seems to get tired. Also I seen times where  O-linemen handle him. Just maybe he was not 100 % healthy all year. Menefee and Hooper are for real, they were the glue on the defense, and I sure hope Menefee is ok.Next year will really expose those coaches, with a young QB and running backs. I don't expect a lot of change.

25 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I agree with a lot of what you said. Our defense was slightly over rated in my opinion. Zion needs some  conditioning because I watched him and he seems to get tired. Also I seen times where  O-linemen handle him. Just maybe he was not 100 % healthy all year. Menefee and Hooper are for real, they were the glue on the defense, and I sure hope Menefee is ok.Next year will really expose those coaches, with a young QB and running backs. I don't expect a lot of change.

Next year will really expose those coaches?? They, at least the big three have been exposed for years now.  Good grief, look how Green runs that offense?  He just got through with a 4 Star RB and still no playoffs. Why has the OL not been good the last 6 years, players are not physical, it's bad training, bad coaching.  Exposed????  Already been there a while.  Sorry PN, I'm off the train, these guys could be 15 DI P5 players next year. Quick, Green and Cook will still be there, nothing will change. Results will again be disappointing cause they all think what they do is great. I believe Soderquist gives it a hard go on the D side, he believes in his kids, and you can see the effort there. We are just not as physical a program as many of the teams we play. Outlaw use to make sure we were smashing folks in the mouth on both sides of the ball, Quick has forgotten those days, we no longer are that program, especially on the offensive side. Exposed???? Longview has beat us 41-5, 56-7 and 42-0 consecutively, how much more exposed do we need to be?  People say, O but Longview is really good now. Well crap, that's where the Lufkin program used to be ALL the time, and now they are kicking our ass every year.  That's how far this program has fallen.  Then there are those folks out there who have only watched Lufkin in the last 10 or 15 years, they can never understand what I'm talking about. They don't know what great Panther football really is, because the only place they may have seen it is on some old video. We are just an average football program today. Better next year?, not falling for that. Will still not be a Longview, Aledo, or name any elite 5A program. Those are the guys we used to compete with or beat all the time. Tired of all the excuses, false hope, no playoffs and waiting for the better that will never come. We no longer have the staff here who want to do what it takes to build a Longview or College Station type program here. It's not all staff, not going to put them all in one pile as they say, but there are two for sure that should have been gone long ago. Anyway, that's all on Quick and not any of us. I'm not the one getting paid $130K a year to not make the playoffs three years in a row.  That is a tough evaluation.

Sorry, to miss Honor America Night at the stadium.  I was coming back into town from Denton and could see the fireworks going up coming around the loop, pulled over for a minute. It was loud and long, Band Booster put on a great fireworks show.  Hardly ever miss it. Maybe next year!

At least the band is pulling in some State Championships, I think 3 in the last 4 years.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Next year will really expose those coaches?? They, at least the big three have been exposed for years now.  Good grief, look how Green runs that offense?  He just got through with a 4 Star RB and still no playoffs. Why has the OL not been good the last 6 years, players are not physical, it's bad training, bad coaching.  Exposed????  Already been there a while.  Sorry PN, I'm off the train, these guys could be 15 DI P5 players next year. Quick, Green and Cook will still be there, nothing will change. Results will again be disappointing cause they all think what they do is great. I believe Soderquist gives it a hard go on the D side, he believes in his kids, and you can see the effort there. We are just not as physical a program as many of the teams we play. Outlaw use to make sure we were smashing folks in the mouth on both sides of the ball, Quick has forgotten those days, we no longer are that program, especially on the offensive side. Exposed???? Longview has beat us 41-5, 56-7 and 42-0 consecutively, how much more exposed do we need to be?  People say, O but Longview is really good now. Well crap, that's where the Lufkin program used to be ALL the time, and now they are kicking our every year.  That's how far this program has fallen.  Then there are those folks out there who have only watched Lufkin in the last 10 or 15 years, they can never understand what I'm talking about. They don't know what great Panther football really is, because the only place they may have seen it is on some old video. We are just an average football program today. Better next year?, not falling for that. Will still not be a Longview, Aledo, or name any elite 5A program. Those are the guys we used to compete with or beat all the time. Tired of all the excuses, false hope, no playoffs and waiting for the better that will never come. We no longer have the staff here who want to do what it takes to build a Longview or College Station type program here. It's not all staff, not going to put them all in one pile as they say, but there are two for sure that should have been gone long ago. Anyway, that's all on Quick and not any of us. I'm not the one getting paid $130K a year to not make the playoffs three years in a row.  That is a tough evaluation.

Well said PA. Nothing will change until the program is under new leadership. The fans will just be forced to put up with this staff.

What can we do? Sad we can't move our kids most not getting developed to even get a chance at college.everyone comments are right.coaches stand around unconcerned.because they know they still getting paid.and if a parent says anything they take it out on the kids.i watched Green in practice giving baseball signals to the offense with no scheme.12 in the box kedren up the middle my God man at least get him the ball in space.defesive backs out of position.not looking for the ball .not enough space to talk about o line. Worst part about it.Quick sees the same and doesn't try to adjust. Durham secondary coach needs to coach track only .hate our kids will never experience true panther pride like the days of Coach Outlaw 

48 minutes ago, Lennie said:

What can we do? Sad we can't move our kids most not getting developed to even get a chance at college.everyone comments are right.coaches stand around unconcerned.because they know they still getting paid.and if a parent says anything they take it out on the kids.i watched Green in practice giving baseball signals to the offense with no scheme.12 in the box kedren up the middle my God man at least get him the ball in space.defesive backs out of position.not looking for the ball .not enough space to talk about o line. Worst part about it.Quick sees the same and doesn't try to adjust. Durham secondary coach needs to coach track only .hate our kids will never experience true panther pride like the days of Coach Outlaw 

Yeah Durham needs to stay at track for sure. He's got more experience at the Paper Mill ,than with secondaries....🤣🤣 what classes does he teach. ??