2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

Ralph just getting started. He will have other opportunities open up for him. Not sure Lufkin would be on his radar if it came about. Too many other places with better resources and pay.

I’d disagree with this. Quick makes $130k. Money is there. Staff size is pretty large compared to some schools. The resources can easily be there but people believe Lufkin has pretty dated football facilities while if you look around we are probably bottom half of 5A schools. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

I’d disagree with this. Quick makes $130k. Money is there. Staff size is pretty large compared to some schools. The resources can easily be there but people believe Lufkin has pretty dated football facilities while if you look around we are probably bottom half of 5A schools. 

Not disagreeing with this. But they won't offer Ralph that much money.  And the facilities are pretty outdated. Honestly a lot 4A schools have better facilities than Lufkin. There was a time Lufkin was somewhat ahead of the curve. I believe we were one of the first to have a jumbotron out this way. Along with the indoor workout facility. 

20 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Not disagreeing with this. But they won't offer Ralph that much money.  And the facilities are pretty outdated. Honestly a lot 4A schools have better facilities than Lufkin. There was a time Lufkin was somewhat ahead of the curve. I believe we were one of the first to have a jumbotron out this way. Along with the indoor workout facility. 

That's because you had a HC/AD, a Booster Club, Superintendent and school board at the time who strove to stay ahead of the curve. We as booster club also looked into the possibilities of adding an elevator to press box, even adding a new press box. The ADA rules for the stadium and lack of funds stifled that effort. Supposed plans are said to be in the works for upgrades to at least match the outside features  of the new PAC facility. We will see, it's always a waiting game.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't understand how Lufkin is so slow on releasing enrollment numbers 

Everyone in our district has released their numbers. Everyone we played this year have too. Hard to figure the hold up. Guess it's complicated here because of Stubblefield and Alternative schools. Maybe they had a bunch of students out on Snap Count day. Do they still have online students?  We always have been slow to release numbers.

Maybe the better question should be, does it even matter under the current circumstances?

A Short Q & A this week.

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers improved to 5-4 overall and 2-4 in district with a 47-18 win over the West Mesquite Wranglers Friday night. Lufkin closes out the regular season in Lancaster at 7 Friday night.

Q What are the exact playoff scenarios headed into Friday’s game?

A To get in, we need to win by five points and have Tyler lose. Lancaster is in with a win. Tyler needs a win and a Lancaster loss to get in. It’s still pretty wide open.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_e534d1ff-d693-5f79-841b-bcd2e68629c0.html

Q Have you ever been in this type of scenario of needing to win by a certain amount of points in order to make the playoffs?

A I don’t think we’ve ever had one here in Lufkin. There was one time in Sherman where we lost out because of penetrations, but we haven’t had that here.

Q What were your impressions of the offense in one of its better performances of the season Friday?

A I thought we came out of the box really well. We scored on our first three drives and really controlled the line of scrimmage. They made some adjustments in the second quarter and we didn’t. I thought we made good adjustments at halftime and controlled the tempo after the half. Kedren’s long run at the start of the first half was huge. That got the lead back up and really made them put the ball in the air.

Q What does it say about Kedren Young that he was able to break the school rushing record?

A It was nice that he got it and got it early. After that, he continued to do what he does. He got better as the game went on. It was nice to take some of the pressure he might have had away early. We’ve had some great players come through here. He’s right where he needs to be. What’s so impressive about him is what he does when nobody’s looking. If you look at the top three on that list, it’s pretty impressive.

Q What was your overall impression of the defense’s effort Friday?

A If you take away one long drive, I thought it was really good. We had a few substitution problems, some penalties and they faked a punt for a first down. It all happened on one drive, which is something you don’t always see. But we came right back with a three and out after that, which was big. I wasn’t real pleased with our play in the secondary. We had some missed tackles and let a few guys run free. But mainly they were hustle mistakes. Overall, I thought we had a great plan defensively and the kids played the run really well.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

I heard it’s 2,178. @PackAttack What’s your side of the grapevine saying? Lol 

I said earlier 2159, but probably needed to add 20 to that, just a ballpark guess. I knew enrollment was slightly down, but like Longview didn't know how many part time working students we had. If that is the number, that puts us more in line with Longview (+100) the way I thought it should of turned out last realignment. 

We were going to remain 5ADI regardless, unless UIL throws in a curveball adding a 7A. I'm still thinking IF that happens at all, it will be 2026-2027.

Just need to know the cut off numbers to start guessing a district the next two years. Whereever we go, I have a feeling it's not going to be any less difficult than where we have been.

1 hour ago, mr. b said:

PA, are you still breaking your streak and skipping the Lancaster game?

Undecided, I did buy a ticket. It's really hard, because I've followed these kids all year. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Undecided, I did buy a ticket. It's really hard, because I've followed these kids all year. 

Don’t end it just yet. Go support the kids PA. They do have a little hope and something to play for Friday and we know the crowd will be sparse as it is. No sense in ending such a streak on the last game of the season anyways. Save it for later lol 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I say go PA. I would be a little disappointed if you broke the streak right now. It's just one more game. And even though the odds are stacked against us. You could say you were there when the Pack pulled the upset.