2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

I made a comment that LV may not be as good this as some of their teams in the past. Well the defense looked awesome last night, but look at who they were playing. In the play offs teams will be a lot tougher than us and will slow Tatum down and have better offenses than us. I don't think the passing as good also but you have to admit,Lufkin made them look invincible last night.😟

You are right. Aledo is not afraid of big bad Longview. They have coaches that excel at scheming for opponents and players confident to execute the plan

11 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

You are right. Aledo is not afraid of big bad Longview. They have coaches that excel at scheming for opponents and players confident to execute the plan

I understand what you guys are saying. But that game will be much later in the year if it materializes at all. Still a ton a football left to play and several good teams out there to get past. Longview is Longview and will do Longview things..lol. I don't think they are worried about Aledo or vice versa. Both are light years ahead of Lufkin. We need to figure out way to make the playoffs and hope we can hit a hot streak.

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

I understand what you guys are saying. But that game will be much later in the year if it materializes at all. Still a ton a football left to play and several good teams out there to get past. Longview is Longview and will do Longview things..lol. I don't think they are worried about Aledo or vice versa. Both are light years ahead of Lufkin. We need to figure out way to make the playoffs and hope we can hit a hot streak.

I think our must win game will be against McKinney North in a couple weeks. I can't put too much faith in us winning next week against Forney because from what I've seen from film, they might win district. And I think even with their struggles so far this year, it'll be tough to beat Lancaster at their house. So it boils down to if we can beat McKinney North to have a shot at being the 4th and final team in the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't think he could have if we didn't help them as much as we did. When you have 3 Drives that start at the 27,17 and 5 you're asking to get blown out. I'm not saying they didn't have a lot to do with it but we had some opportunities to score and couldn't make the play. Next week will tell us even more because Forney isn't as good as Longview. Remember they beat those guys like a drum last season (46-7) too and will probably do it again. Longview is head and shoulders better then everyone in 5A outside of Aledo and honestly I think they're going to beat them and win state this year. Longview is beating the brakes off everyone not just us.

Aledo is a ball club not to be taken lightly, and coached very well...,I don't think LV passing game is as good as it use too be. We made LV look unbeatable.

23 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Aledo is a ball club not to be taken lightly, and coached very well...,I don't think LV passing game is as good as it use too be. We made LV look unbeatable.

Don't focus on the Longview offense. It's the defense that's big time. That's going to cause Aledo all kinds of problems. Not sure if it will be enough to beat them but I imagine it will be a good game.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:35 AM, PackAttack said:

Already posted the scores for the Lufkin Freshmen teams.

Longview B - 30  Lufkin  B - 0

Longview  A - 16  Lufkin  A - 0

JV score :  Longview JV - 9  Lufkin JV -  6

Out of 4 games vs Longview. Our program only scores 1 touchdown. Have any of our teams beat Longview the last two years? I think the closest we got is one of our sub varsity teams played them close last year and our JV did the same this year. 

Forney will be another gut check. That's a winnable game if our players and coaches come out prepared. If it plays out like last year and we come out lifeless. I don't think this staff can get them up to knock off McKinney North. Hope I'm wrong and they come out fired up and get rolling. We got the guys to do it. Just not sure our coaches will have them ready. 

I said 30,yall laughed. Forney will dominate,us everywhere.Homecoming will never be the same and i have 4 tickets.I give jam media an A,so far,even with the new guy.Can anyone on here tll me who he is?Its either Hi-jinx or go to football game.Ok i havent been drinking the purple koolaid ever since Prince left the gymnasium.Ok a new slogan arround here Forney by fourty!!!!

After watching that game Friday there isn’t much upside I saw. The offense is simple to stop. Rush four because we can’t block three and let your linebackers clean up. Run a high safety to pick off the deep ball because we put a ton of air under it. Longview showed no fear of the defense rushing straight up the middle even when Zion was in there. Longview had developed athletes and Forney will too. Hope I’m wrong. I’ll be watching either way. 

21 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

After watching that game Friday there isn’t much upside I saw. The offense is simple to stop. Rush four because we can’t block three and let your linebackers clean up. Run a high safety to pick off the deep ball because we put a ton of air under it. Longview showed no fear of the defense rushing straight up the middle even when Zion was in there. Longview had developed athletes and Forney will too. Hope I’m wrong. I’ll be watching either way. 

Think thats the main thing. The offense easy to stop for the better coached teams. Especially if they have some speed on that side of the ball. I been wanting us to scrap the spread for a while. 

26 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Think thats the main thing. The offense easy to stop for the better coached teams. Especially if they have some speed on that side of the ball. I been wanting us to scrap the spread for a while. 

I’m a big fan of building around what you have. The defense did it. Two running backs like we have and you don’t think Kedren young would be more dangerous running down hill. He isn’t a shotgun running back. He is pro style. 

1 hour ago, LPPACK said:

On the bright side,ex-Panthers Bug Thompson and JaLynn Polk both scores touchdowns saturday.Been while since we could say that.Who knows they coud play each other again this year,and Bug could cover JaLynn.

Two former Panthers, excelling on two highly ranked teams. Bug also got a key interception against Bama. Both played on the same Pack team. And to think we only got 4 playoff wins with those guys here. Thats one of my biggest fears. We will look up a few years from now. And only see 1 or 2 playoff victories with this group. Kedren is a three year starter and has never played in the post season. Hope that changes for him this year. 

13 hours ago, timeout! said:

That and like I’ve been screaming since last year. The O line and QB play are problems. It’s one thing to chunk it on very bad football teams. I don’t think Lufkin kids ever understand the definition of throw the ball away. We just launch it and pray. As for running, you’re lying to yourself if you think the line has done a great job for Kedren. He’s made the majority of his yardage up by his own abilities. I like the defense. The secondary is iffy but that run D is legit. Just don’t have enough offense to help those guys. Y’all know how this ends. Lol 

I would love to know Kedren’s yards after contact. I think that will be very telling in the lines ability to block. 

I don’t blame the individual kids on not preforming. The groups not playing to a high level also have the longest standing coaches on the staff…

21 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I would love to know Kedren’s yards after contact. I think that will be very telling in the lines ability to block. 

I don’t blame the individual kids on not preforming. The groups not playing to a high level also have the longest standing coaches on the staff…

Probably the same amount as his rushing total. The offense is just too predictable. No pre-snap motion no tempo. We take way to long to get the play call in. I don't know why Preston isn't getting 10 targets a game. He literally was behind the Longview defense on the first drive and would of had a TD if the pass is there. He should be getting about 4 to 5 of those a game at a minimum. Not having Gavin didn't help either. McLendon should be back for the defense this week that will be a big boost. 

13 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Probably the same amount as his rushing total. The offense is just too predictable. No pre-snap motion no tempo. We take way to long to get the play call in. I don't know why Preston isn't getting 10 targets a game. He literally was behind the Longview defense on the first drive and would have had a TD if the pass is there. He should be getting about 4 to 5 of those a game at a minimum. Not having Gavin didn't help either. McLendon should be back for the defense this week that will be a big boost. 

We’d need to accurately throw the deep ball. Him being open doesn’t matter if that ball can’t get there because I agree. He should have multiple explosive plays and pull people out of the box 

16 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

We’d need to accurately throw the deep ball. Him being open doesn’t matter if that ball can’t get there because I agree. He should have multiple explosive plays and pull people out of the box 

Yeah but how else are we going to hit those plays unless we really take some shots. 2-3 deep shots a game is not enough imo. I think we're definitely capable of hitting them. We hit a couple against Legacy. I get it can't count Nac lol but Preston had the big one on 4th down vs Consolidated. I would rather take 2-3 deep shots a series then hand it off 3 times and punt. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Yeah but how else are we going to hit those plays unless we really take some shots. 2-3 deep shots a game is not enough imo. I think we're definitely capable of hitting them. We hit a couple against Legacy. I get it can't count Nac lol but Preston had the big one on 4th down vs Consolidated. I would rather take 2-3 deep shots a series then hand it off 3 times and punt. 

I agree. I’d like to see more shots. Problem is Forney and Lancaster have D1 safeties. I’d play those guys deep over the top and let them go get it. Need something crossing underneath. Other problem is deep routes take time. I think it all comes down still to a predictable offense. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

I agree. I’d like to see more shots. Problem is Forney and Lancaster have D1 safeties. I’d play those guys deep over the top and let them go get it. Need something crossing underneath. Other problem is deep routes take time. I think it all comes down still to a predictable offense. 

Lancaster FS done for season

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

This. Especially the whole 3 times and punt thing. My god we do that too much. We need to air that thing out more. Let’em cook.