2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hitman2 said:

Sad to say, and if I shouldnt be posting this here, PA, feel free to take it down, but Javion is out for the rest of the season. Has a chipped bone in his shoulder and will need surgery. Sure hate it for him.

Well, that's a tough deal, and the information would have come out sooner or later. We will miss him. Get the shoulder fixed now so can recover and be healthy for next season. Hope they didn't miss that chipped bone the first time around? That hit he took the other night didn't look that extreme. Watched the replay several times, and it was the same shoulder he previously hurt too.

Johnson was never able to get his feet set this year with those darn injuries. Feel real bad for him. Coutee more valuable than ever now,  and will sure need to know about a back up.  Folks said earlier this week it would be Taylor. I keep thinking maybe Phillips is an option, only because he played the position before. A Catch 22 either way you go cause you have a really good WR playing QB now. Phillips is a big part of the running game, so don't need to mess with that chemistry. You do just what you need to do to keep winning.  Are there any other decent QB prospects in the system now that could be brought up that can actually contribute?

16 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Tough news. I hate that. I hope we have something figured out to backup Coutee. This group is way too good to have the season derailed if an injury were to occur to Coutee. 

On another note, how many starters will return next year? 

Just taking a quick look over of the roster, including Johnson I picked out 14-16 kids who are either starting or getting significant playing time right now on both sides of the ball.  Get 3 OL guys back next year. Lose a bunch in the DL and at WR.  Retain a couple LB and three DB, and RB Waters is a Jr. 

There are 6 SOPH getting significant playing time in that group.

11 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just remembered, I wanted to ask if anyone has any information on how our MS  football teams are doing this year?

I know one of the teams is playing Longview Forrest Park today.

I know a kid on the 8th grade squad, they are pretty good. The skill positions seem to be the best part. I know nothing about 7th grade. The MS baseball teams are on a tear lol 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Johnson was never able to get his feet set this year with those darn injuries. Feel real bad for him. Coutee more valuable than ever now,  and will sure need to know about a back up.  Folks said earlier this week it would be Taylor. I keep thinking maybe Phillips is an option, only because he played the position before. A Catch 22 either way you go cause you have a really good WR playing QB now. Phillips is a big part of the running game, so don't need to mess with that chemistry. You do just what you need to do to keep winning.  Are there any other decent QB prospects in the system now that could be brought up that can actually contribute?

Definitely a tough deal with Johnson. He will bounce back better then ever. He's a tough kid. With that said I think Coutee has found his groove running this offense. I'm not so sure he's not the best option at this point. He just has something about him that you can't coach. I remember Cedar Hill lost there starting QB and moved a.WR to fill in named Will Cole. If you know Will Cole then you know how that ended.

4 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Definitely a tough deal with Johnson. He will bounce back better then ever. He's a tough kid. With that said I think Coutee has found his groove running this offense. I'm not so sure he's not the best option at this point. He just has something about him that you can't coach. I remember Cedar Hill lost there starting QB and moved a.WR to fill in named Will Cole. If you know Will Cole then you know how that ended.

I hate it. We have the worse luck with injuries to receivers and quarterbacks, especially when we have good teams. 

But definitely remember Cole.

It's so much better to be winning.  Not to have all the negativity throughout these weeks, like those of the past 3 or 4 years, is refreshing for a change.  It may be a short term feel, there are still some big games ahead of this group this year.  We all know things can change and change quickly depending on what occurs.  Although we have had to discuss losing a couple of really good players to injury, the rest of the talking points have been quite positive and welcome.

We're not talking about situations we can't change or licking our wounds after getting pummeled by Longview in the first district game, then subsequently losing to Forney or to start 0-2 or stand at 1-3 or 1-4 in a district race, knowing your then scrambling for only a possible 4th place finish and a 1st round playoff exit.  That doesn't give a fan much to look forward to does it?  This year is a long way from over, because IF the Panthers lose to PAM and Ball, then they may be looking at a 3rd place finish.  Of course , PAM and Ball and Barbers Hill playing each other will chart the course of events as well too.  Really keeping my eye on the PAM and BALL matchup this week. It could tell us volumes on what Lufkin can expect to face ahead.

Anyway, for now it's nice right now to not be unhappy at the half way point of the season, actually having something to look forward to for a change, and maybe, just maybe, some nice post season playoff action. Enjoy it while it last folks, sure beats the last 3 or 4 years of suffering.

I agree. And this group is very good. To overcome losing key guys and continuing to win says a lot. Friday night we were down 14-8 and punting the ball back to BH after allowing them to score on their first two drives. It didn’t look promising. But the defense adjusted, got the ball back and the offense did their thing then the rest was history. That’s signs of a winning football team that we haven’t had in 5-6 years. PN called it, he knew. I had my doubts, but I’m witnessing it now. Long way to go, but I like what I see. 

Also, shout out to Quincy Coutee man. What a gamer. Quick said pregame he was one of the hardest working kids he’d ever come across. It shows.

WEEK #6 - 2024 DCTF Texas High School Football: Computer Rankings for District 9-5A DI.

#13 - Port Arthur Memorial  (4-1) @ Galveston Ball      Port Arthur dropped -3 spots after beating United 34-0

#14 -  Galveston Ball  (5-0) vs Port Arthur Memorial    Ball went up +1 spot beating Baytown Sterling  45-0

#15 - Lufkin   (4-1) @  Beaumont West Brook (2-2)    Lufkin remained the same at #15 after defeating BH  32-14.

#19 - Barbers Hill (3-2) vs Baytown Sterling (3-2)     Barbers Hill went  up +2 spots after losing to Lufkin 32-14.

#65 - Beaumont West Brook (2-2) vs Lufkin (4-1)   BWB same ranking as last week.

#72 - Beaumont United (2-3)   BU went up +3 spots after losing 34-0 to PAM

#76 - Baytown Sterling (2-3)    Sterling drops -8 spots after losing 45-0 to Ball.

Other Lufkin 2024 opponents:

#15 - 5A DII Huntsville (3-1)

#33 - 6A Longview (2-2)  

#75 - 5A DII Nacogdoches (3-2)

#37 - 5A DI Tyler  (2-3)

5 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Also, shout out to Quincy Coutee man. What a gamer. Quick said pregame he was one of the hardest working kids he’d ever come across. It shows.

I was in a a bit of a funk when I heard the news about Johnson. Mainly because how good he looked in limited action. I think the kid has McNeal type potential. Plus him at Coutee looked great together on the field. Just sucks that we won't get to see them play together for the remainder of the season. 

I'm all about rallying behind Coutee the rest of the season. He has done an excellent job after being thrust into a role he wasn't expected to fill full-time. He still has weapons on the field to help him out and the kid plays with some grit. Hopefully he can get Preston back at some point. 

Go Pack!

Just doing some early scouting on PAM and Ball. Just based on the eye test I don't think there is any doubt we're probably going to blow Ball out. Maybe not immediately but over the course of the game we should start to lean on them. As for PAM the offense is sketchy. They have speed and we have to respect that but the QB looked kinda bad. Don't think they will be able to run on us and don't think #7 will be good enough to beat us with his arm. He's a good athlete just not a QB. Now that defense they have is the real deal. As good as any we will see when they're locked in. Definitely comparable to Longview as far as speed and talent. So I'm expecting a low scoring game. We will need to come to play they're a good football team. I also expect PAM to beat Ball this Friday by a few scores. I should probably watch more tape but this is what I'm feeling right now. That could change as I watch more film. So a quick recap. I like Lufkin by a lot over Ball and a little bit over PAM.

29 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Just doing some early scouting on PAM and Ball. Just based on the eye test I don't think there is any doubt we're probably going to blow Ball out. Maybe not immediately but over the course of the game we should start to lean on them. As for PAM the offense is sketchy. They have speed and we have to respect that but the QB looked kinda bad. Don't think they will be able to run on us and don't think #7 will be good enough to beat us with his arm. He's a good athlete just not a QB. Now that defense they have is the real deal. As good as any we will see when they're locked in. Definitely comparable to Longview as far as speed and talent. So I'm expecting a low scoring game. We will need to come to play they're a good football team. I also expect PAM to beat Ball this Friday by a few scores. I should probably watch more tape but this is what I'm feeling right now. That could change as I watch more film. So a quick recap. I Lufkin by a lot over Ball and a little bit 

DCTF computer-generated predictions for all 9-5A DI Texas high school football games this weekend, powered by data-driven analysis.

Port Arthur Memorial (4-1, 1-0) at Galveston Ball (5-0,1-0)      Ball picked by +1

Lufkin (4-1, 1-0)  at Beaumont West Brook (2-2, 0-0)        Lufkin picked by +27

Baytown Sterling (3-2, 0-1)  at Barbers Hill (3-2, 0-1)       Barbers Hill picked by +31

Beaumont United has an open week.

Q & A with Lufkin's Coach Quick:

•  
    • Sports editor Edwin Quarles held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Monday afternoon. The Panthers (4-1, 1-0) defeated Barbers Hill 32-14 in the District 9-5A DI opener at home on Friday. The Panthers will be on the road Friday at Beaumont West Brook for a 7 p.m. kickoff.

Q How big was it to open up district play with a win over a team like Barbers Hill that came in with an offense that had put up a lot of points?

A Well, It’s big. Everybody wants to start off that way, everybody in the district that’s their plan. Once you get there, you’ve got to put the work in. It is an advantage and now you have to take care of your business. Everybody now is going to give you their best shot when they come to town or wherever you go. You have to be able to handle that responsibility.

Q You’ve got Beaumont West Brook this week. They didn’t have a win in 2023, but they are 2-2 and coming off a bye. What kind of team do they have and what problems do they present?

A They’re big up front and their quarterback is really a good player. He’s a sophomore (Tammeron Anderson) and he’s really good. He makes good decisions. He’s tough to tackle and they let him have the ball in his hands quite a bit. It makes you defend 11 instead of 10 and you’ve got to know where he’s at and be able to get him on the ground. Their offense goes with him.

Q What kind of things do they do on defense and how do you match up against them?

A They’re an even front and we haven’t seen a lot of even fronts this year. We put the install in today and we’ve got to get back to blocking that even front and those four defensive linemen. We’ve got to be able to block the second level as well. We’ve got some work to do. Our offensive line has done a really good job the last three weeks and made a lot of improvements. We’ve got to lean on them. They’re the ones that are going to control the box and control the tempo and the game. That’s the guys we want and they’re going to get it done.

Q Last week the offensive line did just that in the second half and running back Gavin Phillips was able to have a lot of success with 74 yards on nine carries and a 37-yard TD run in the final two quarters. What does that do for the team when you can do that late in a game?

A You get tired of tackling a guy with his size. He got his pad level down a little bit and we worked with him on that. He’s got to get his pad level down. People aren’t going to hit him up high, he’s just too big. He’s got to protect himself that way. There wasn’t a whole lot of wiggle with him Friday night. He knew where the goal line was at and he was headed that direction. We have to have that. Gavin understands that his ticket is right through the box and pad level down and running through people. It was good to see Friday night.

Edwin Quarles' email address is  edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Coach Quick says this week against  BWB is no roller coaster ride?

https://www.ktre.com/2024/10/03/lufkin-coach-says-its-not-roller-coaster-ride-pack-go-5th-win/

I know these guys cover multiple teams. But it really irks me... when they can't get something as simple as the correct record straight. 

Lufkin D has 15 turnovers through the first 5 games or 3 per game, while the Panthers have given the ball up 8 times or 1.6 per game.

Also Lufkin through 5 games has only committed 24 penalties for 200 yards. 

Noland Hansard has 18 punts on the year averaging 36.8 yards per kick, with 5 inside the 20. 

All three stats are important parts of the Panthers 4-1 start this year.

BWB QB is a soph Tammeron Anderson, is 6-2, 175 lbs, 4.5  40.    Don't sleep on this guy or BWB, they have gotten better as the year has gone by.  

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/19545988/66e7224496342c2aab526c84