2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

17 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The only thing I worry about Johnson is him staying healthy, cause it looks like we are going to need him all the way to be successful. His talent is there, that is not a question for me. 

I think it will still take time for him to find his rhythm. He has a lot ridding on his shoulders as a first year starter on varsity. He hardly played last year and really needs as many live reps as possible. I was hopeful he could take most of his lumps during non district. The kid will get in two non district games at most. Then open up at home against a formidable Barbers Hill team to start district. And thats if there are no setbacks. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I am going to need my guy WP4L to come explain this Tyler situation to me. They were supposed to take a big step forward this year. What is going on in Tyler.

I am legitimately shocked. 

Woods is a good coach, went back rewatched this morning and it looks like they simply got destroyed in the trenches on both sides of the ball...which is also something that I didn't see happening going into the game. I knew Marshall's offensive line had some juice especially along the left side but ------, Tyler got whipped up front.

Longview will be alright once they address ball security and tweak some things. I wish we would start our best QB but Mav isnt going to hurt us at the same time because he has the legs to keep defenses honest.

22 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Same. Honestly, there’s some other things we could do to have some success without him, but the brain behind the operation doesn’t know how to make it happen

Don't get me started about the brain. LOL.  Doesn't do any good to talk about it because it won't change until there is a legitimate change.  

38 minutes ago, wolfpack4life said:

I am legitimately shocked. 

Woods is a good coach, went back rewatched this morning and it looks like they simply got destroyed in the trenches on both sides of the ball...which is also something that I didn't see happening going into the game. I knew Marshall's offensive line had some juice especially along the left side but ------, Tyler got whipped up front.

Longview will be alright once they address ball security and tweak some things. I wish we would start our best QB but Mav isnt going to hurt us at the same time because he has the legs to keep defenses honest.

You guys are gonna be alright with Mav really didn't play bad last night all things considering. He and my kid were going back and forth last night my son likes to talk. He gave Boosie an earful when he stripped it to Alexander. These kids know each other really from basketball over the years where you have time to sit and talk after games or tournaments. Especially with how social media is these days. These kids start group chats and talk noise to each other 😂. Their is a level of friendship and respect between this particular SR class from both teams. As far as Tyler goes. If they don't have it in the trenches. They're gonna be in trouble when we head down to Rose. 

My takes on last night: 

1. defense played well. They were on the field most of the game! 

2. we have to capitalize off turnovers more.

3. would like to see kevo a lil more at QB. ( he puts more pressure on a defense).

4. Our OL must continue to improve. We have to be able to run the ball going forward!!!! 

5. Overall kids played hard!!!! We dang near pitched a shut out on defense! 

6. let’s see how our OL performs against NAC! If we can’t run the ball against nac, I think that’s a big issue! 

7. Also, I think we could have managed clock a lil better right before half. That would have eliminated that big play right before half! That is just my opinion though!

8. Wanted to see the heavy package in the red-zone. I know we’ve used it in the past! Maybe get under center too! 

9. Want to see how our passing game changes once Johnson is able to return! 

21 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

My takes on last night: 

1. defense played well. They were on the field most of the game! 

2. we have to capitalize off turnovers more.

3. would like to see kevo a lil more at QB. ( he puts more pressure on a defense).

4. Our OL must continue to improve. We have to be able to run the ball going forward!!!! 

5. Overall kids played hard!!!! We dang near pitched a shut out on defense! 

6. let’s see how our OL performs against NAC! If we can’t run the ball against nac, I think that’s a big issue! 

7. Also, I think we could have managed clock a lil better right before half. That would have eliminated that big play right before half! That is just my opinion though!

I think this post is spot on

Think our D is as good as I have seen in many years, maybe going back to 03, 04 or 05. No kidding. Want to see the secondary operate a bit more, but our front 7? Very good, very quick, very physical.

Our State Champ team was based on strong D, we had an awesome LB corps and DBs then. Ju Parks in the middle of the DL. Our O was Reggie McNeal.

His legs and big play arm were the O. He only completed about 40% of his passes, but he could out throw any defensive coverage so he had a ton of one on one deep plays and the elusive wheels to take it to the house too. He was a double threat. 

Defense will win games when the O is average, in 03 and 04, Lufkin had great D and the Lane Train for O. He was a quadruple threat, running the ball, catching passes, QB wildcat/passing and punter.

Just saying this Lufkin team has the key component in place, and good special teams play from what I saw last night.

Get Johnson healthy and lets see what happens on the O. We know that Kevo and Waters can go, as well as Phillips, Hooper and Coutee. Coutee is an even better WR.

Other stuff comes into play too, that is out of our control, and for that matter the players too. Hoping to see good planning and good judgment unfold the rest of the season.

These senior players have a huge stake in this season.

39 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Think our D is as good as I have seen in many years, maybe going back to 03, 04 or 05. No kidding. Want to see the secondary operate a bit more, but our front 7? Very good, very quick, very physical.

Our State Champ team was based on strong D, we had an awesome LB corps and DBs then. Ju Parks in the middle of the DL. Our O was Reggie McNeal.

His legs and big play arm were the O. He only completed about 40% of his passes, but he could out throw any defensive coverage so he had a ton of one on one deep plays and the elusive wheels to take it to the house too. He was a double threat. 

Defense will win games when the O is average, in 03 and 04, Lufkin had great D and the Lane Train for O. He was a quadruple threat, running the ball, catching passes, QB wildcat/passing and punter.

Just saying this Lufkin team has the key component in place, and good special teams play from what I saw last night.

Get Johnson healthy and lets see what happens on the O. We know that Kevo and Waters can go, as well as Phillips, Hooper and Coutee. Coutee is an even better WR.

Other stuff comes into play too, that is out of our control, and for that matter the players too. Hoping to see good planning and good judgment unfold the rest of the season.

These senior players have a huge stake in this season.

The defense has a chance to reach that level. Going in I thought we had a chance to pitch a shutout. Im that confident in this group. I wanna see how they react to a more pass oriented team but they got the kids in the secondary to match-up with anyone we could possibly play the rest of the way. If we can figure something out on offense we got a chance. 

29 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

The defense has a chance to reach that level. Going in I thought we had a chance to pitch a shutout. Im that confident in this group. I wanna see how they react to a more pass oriented team but they got the kids in the secondary to match-up with anyone we could possibly play the rest of the way. If we can figure something out on offense we got a chance. 

Just saying anytime this program has made any sort of serious run they had a pretty stout defense. The exception was maybe 2012 when they didn't have a great D but had to try and outscore everyone.  Very potent passing combo that year between QB Tyler Stubblefield and WR JaBryce Taylor. Just could not stop anyone. 

2012 Schedule -   9-4    *District    ** Playoffs

@John Tyler  L  35-21    8/31

Tyler Lee  W  41-31  9/07

Nacogdoches   W  45-7  9/14

Longview   L    45-14    9/21

*@A&M Consolidate  W   71-68 4OT  9/28

*The Woodlands  L  49-24  10/12

@Bryan   W   47-7   10/19

*THW College Park   W  40-7   10/26

**Spring DeKaney  W  35-20   11/16

**Pflugerville  W   56-43  11/23

**Plano West  L   55-52   12/01 

31 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

35 points with this defense we beat anybody in 5A even Aledo who lost to Guyer last night.

33 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I still remember that A&M game. Kendrick Mapp took that handoff in at the end to finally end that thing. I didn’t think that game was ever gonna end 🤣 

That offense was potent but stubblefield had a bad habit of telegraphing where the ball was going. Jabryce Taylor saved his a$$ all season.

Also can’t forget how in the 3rd round of the playoffs Green thought it’d be a good idea to run the football with zero timeouts even though we were passing the ball at will 🤣

11 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

35 points with this defense we beat anybody in 5A even Aledo who lost to Guyer last night.

Come on now. Let’s get realistic. If what you saw last night made you think we can handle Aledo. I must have been at a different abe Martin stadium. 

2 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Come on now. Let’s get realistic. If what you saw last night made you think we can handle Aledo. I must have been at a different abe Martin stadium. 

I said if they can score 35 points they can beat anyone in 5A. I don't think Aledo would walk up and down the field on this defense but I don't think we could score 35 on them either. But I have no doubt our defense would keep us in it.

7 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I said if they can score 35 points they can beat anyone in 5A. I don't think Aledo would walk up and down the field on this defense but I don't think we could score 35 on them either. But I have no doubt our defense would keep us in it.

To each their own. I hope you are proven right. I know this. If my kid was on the team I’d be pissed at the overall development and building of the athletes. I just don’t feel everyone realizes what is missing. 

8 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

To each their own. I hope you are proven right. I know this. If my kid was on the team I’d be pissed at the overall development and building of the athletes. I just don’t feel everyone realizes what is missing. 

He’s not wrong. If we had an offense that averaged 35 ppg, with this defense, we would be an extremely hard out for anybody. But we don’t. And we all know the offensive side of the staff is a massive reason why. Nothing that we’re currently lacking on is new news lol. You just have to try and find a positive and for me it’s the defense. I’m holding out hope on the offensive side because they literally haven’t even gotten to play with their starting QB yet. Let’s wait and see what happens. 

22 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

The defense looks developed and clearly improved from a year ago. Offensively I think we will have to wait and see once we get QB1 back but if we remember the state team didn't exactly light teams on fire. 17-7 over Beaumont Central to start the season. 10-9 against Eisenhower 10-7 against Corsicana. People forget that. 

Someone told me today that Texas is one of the just 11 States who do not allow NIL money for HS athletes. This true?  

NIL will eventually ruin college ball, and kids should not be paid to play a sport in HS . What's next?, paying 11 year olds to play Little League ball?

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Yea, i have to watch them against a team that is more pass oriented. They didn’t have much to worry about with LV last night. However, i still think they played well with how the game was managed. I like the coaching on that side and the tackling was very good. I also trust in what you say Book….well not about your longhorns lol. I just can’t trust Green.

I know we have talent, but all I’m going to do is hope for the best this year for the kids and the fans like PA that deserves to see the Pack in another state game or at least semis. 

44 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, i have to watch them against a team that is more pass oriented. They didn’t have much to worry about with LV last night. However, i still think they played well with how the game was managed. I like the coaching on that side and the tackling was very good. I also trust in what you say Book….well not about your longhorns lol. I just can’t trust Green.

I know we have talent, but all I’m going to do is hope for the best this year for the kids and the fans like PA that deserves to see the Pack in another state game or at least semis. 

Texas looked good today lol.

If we can figure this offense out we will make a run I have no doubt. Right now I'm confirming in saying they will make it to Thanksgiving week. I need to see more.