2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, LTown said:

We can't even beat Longview with there worse team smh but a huge thumbs up to our Defense they played lights out all night and our offense hasn't scored a touchdown in 6 quarters smh!!!

Tbh at this point we would have to field a dream team to beat Longview with this staff. King just has green and the mediocrity so figured out that his defenses have an easy night against Lufkin. 

6 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Tbh at this point we would have to field a dream team to beat Longview with this staff. King just has green and the mediocrity so figured out that his defenses have an easy night against Lufkin. 

The man needs to be gone. Crazy play calling 

31 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Some of y’all just weren’t gonna be happy unless we won huh? 🤣 Without that busted play we might’ve won 3-0 or went to OT at 3-3. I’m chilling. This defense is gonna give us a shot every week. 

Yes they will. Longview is the best team on our schedule. We have a chance to win out. Johnson will be back

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Stupid AF. Down 7-3, got the ball back with plenty of time and he ran it 3 straight plays and punted 🤣🤣

Not aruging with ya,but we didnt have time to throw couldnt throw up even.But only time i seen life breathe into us,was when Kevo took over.Yes,i sit my as& in the rain to watch this,not faulting Coutee,but LV punched us in the mouth.King knows every play we're gonna run.We cant beat Nac,im hanging it up!

2 minutes ago, LPPACK said:

Not aruging with ya,but we didnt have time to throw couldnt throw up even.But only time i seen life breathe into us,was when Kevo took over.Yes,i sit my as& in the rain to watch this,not faulting Coutee,but LV punched us in the mouth.King knows every play we're gonna run.We cant beat Nac,im hanging it up!

They're gonna absolutely blow Nac out next week 

5 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

They're gonna absolutely blow Nac out next week 

Lufkin shouldn’t struggle with the next two. Saying Longview is the best on the schedule might be a stretch. Defense looked good but rain games never answer many questions. 

5 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Not upset at all about tonight's performance. Longview was cooked if Johnson had played tonight. Johnny Football is on smoaky acting like they won the super bowl when in all reality they won with a busted play and Lufkin playing without their QB. Gonna be ok this year .

He’s always trying to start drama. He has been waiting for days like this because he was around on the old 5A forum when we were winning 11 straight on them. Just a cry baby. On to the next game. I usually don’t waste time on him because he lied about bringing game vids. Just a trash individual. 

Don't have much to say that you guys have not already said. Defense is the real deal, PN was right and it was low scoring.  Can't think of the last time the Lufkin D played this well against a Longview O.   Don't like losing to Longview, and 7-3, although close doesn't make me feel any better about it.  John King has Todd Quick's number, he is now 2-13 against King the last 13 seasons. The Lobos may not be as good as the last two years, but they are still stout and well coached. That snooker play at the end of the 1st half , SMH, just can't give Longview anything like that.  Lufkin has got to figure out an offense, I thought the Kevo running the Wildcat with Waters was a good combo, then it got too successful and Green decided to go back to Coutee ??   This Lufkin D will keep us in games,  until the OL and Green's play calling finds some sign of consistency.  Does Johnson being there really make that much difference??

Slot WR uncovered all game long, not a single toss to them.  Coutee did the best he could with what he was given to work with, which was not much different as far as I could see. All week long to practice and this is what Green came up with, it's always the same story, he can't get the job done if he doesn't have all his parts.  

I'm really proud of the D, for them to play so well in such wet conditions which surely favored the Lobo running game. They held up well, even though the O left them on the field a lot tonight.   Lobo DL really worked on the Panther OL much of the night, same story, they don't hit people in the mouth, we are small at center again this year too, that was an issue.  

Thought the kicking game and special teams did well overall.   Really happy about the D play and intensity, I think the team gets better when Johnson returns, still lots of potential with this group. I'm sorry, but still have a ton of trust issues with our leadership to do the right things.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Don't have much to say that you guys have not already said. Defense is the real deal, PN was right and it was low scoring.  can't think of the last time the Lufkin D played this well against a Longview O.   Don't like losing to Longview, and 7-3, although close doesn't make me feel any better about it.  John King has Todd Quick's number, he is now 2-13 against King the last 13 seasons. The Lobos may not be as good as the last two years, but they are still stout and well coached. That snooker play at the end of the 1st half , SMH, just can't give Longview anything like that.  Lufkin has got to figure out an offense, I thought the Kevo running the Wildcat with Waters was a good combo, then it got too successful and Green decided to go back to Coutee ??   This Lufkin D will keep us in games,  until the OL and Green's play calling finds some sign of consistency.  Does Johnson being there really make that much difference??

Slot WR uncovered all game long, not a single toss to them.  Coutee did the best he could with what he was given to work with, which was not much different as far as I could see. All week long to practice and this is what Green came up with, it's always the same story, he can't get the job done if he doesn't have all his parts.  

I'm really proud of the D, for them to play so well in such wet conditions which surely favored the Lobo running game. They held up well, even though the O left them on the field a lot tonight.   Lobo DL really worked on the Panther OL much of the night, same story, they don't hit people in the mouth, we are small at center again this year too, that was an issue.  

Thought the kicking game and special teams did well overall.   Really happy about the D play and intensity, I think the team gets better when Johnson returns, still lots of potential with this group. I'm sorry, but still have a ton of trust issues with our leadership to do the right things.

Johnson will instantly make them better.

9-5A DI Non District scores:

Baytown Sterling 42  Goose Creek Memorial  20

Beaumont United  26  Houston Bellaire  21

Barbers Hill  54  New Caney  8

PAM  30 Spring DeKaney  17

Other scores of interest:

Marshall  41  Tyler  14

Brenham 39  Huntsville  35

Nacogdoches 34  Palestine 17

42 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

9-5A DI Non District scores:

Baytown Sterling 42  Goose Creek Memorial  20

Beaumont United  26  Houston Bellaire  21

Barbers Hill  54  New Caney  8

PAM  30 Spring DeKaney  17

Other scores of interest:

Marshall  41  Tyler  14

Brenham 39  Huntsville  35

Nacogdoches 34  Palestine 17

How bad is Tyler. Goodness

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/panthers-lose-close-one-to-lobos-7-3/article_d24f3a9f-118d-5829-8716-ed957324368a.html

A fumble on a carry by Longview’s Kelvin Washington should have ended the first half, but it didn’t. The Lobo running back mishandled a handoff from QB Maverick Rowe and was able to scoop up the ball off the turf and elude Lufkin defenders to go 48 yards for the game’s only touchdown here Friday night at Abe Martin Stadium.

The touchdown was enough for the Lobos to escape with a 7-3 win over the Panthers in the season opener for both teams.

Longview started the final series of the half at its own 45 with just 32 seconds on the clock. Washington carried the ball twice, for gains of 6 and 1 yard as the Panthers’ defense made a pair of stops, and it looked like the half would end without a score.

But on the second-down play, a Lufkin player lost his helmet and the clock stopped long enough for the Lobos to get lined up for one more play.

That one play turned out to be the difference in the game.

“The ball got on the ground, and our guys changed their path to go get the ball, but you have to continue with your pursuit path the way it is,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “As soon as the ball hit the ground, we turned and started going to it, and he picks the ball up on the dead run. But you have to get him on the ground, there’s just a few seconds left in the half and you’ve got to get him on the ground. It’ll be taught, and that play will be shown in the morning.”

Washington crossed the goal line with no time left on the clock and Alexandre Mitchell hit the PAT to put the Lobos up 7-0 at intermission.

The Panthers, who had struggled to move the ball in the first half, found a spark in the second half with KeVondrick Taylor coming in at QB after Quincy Coutee had a run of nine yards to midfield to set up a fourth and one. Taylor came in and kept the ball to the right side for an 11-yard gain and first down.

Kenneth Waters followed with a run of 27 yards and another for seven to put the ball at the Longview 7. Taylor ran for 2 yards to the Lobos’ 5 on the last play of the third quarter.

Lufkin failed to pick up the first down as the fourth quarter started and Nolan Hansard connected on a 25-yard field goal to cut the lead to 7-3 with 10:30 left to play.

The Panthers had the ball two more times in the game, but the Lobos held the Panthers on downs once, and an interception by Da’Kayden Carter at midfield with just more than two minutes to play ended the other series.

The Lobos were able to pick up a pair of first downs and run out the clock to take the 7-3 win.

Off and on rain throughout the first half had slowed down both offenses, and Longview, despite accumulating more than 200 total yards, turned the ball over three times.

With Longview struggling to hang on to the ball, the Panthers struggled to move the chains, picking up just three first downs.

The Panthers stopped the Lobos three times with turnovers in the first two quarters.

The first was on a fumble by Longview receiver Kieffer Doxey after a 40-yard gain. Keshawn Waters recovered the ball at the Lufkin 16 to end the Lobos’ scoring threat.

Lufkin’s Elijah Alexander recovered two fumbles in the half, both stopping Longview drives in Lufkin territory. One came at the Panthers’ 25 and the other came at the 39.

The Panthers’ defense also came up with a big fourth-down stop late in the first half.

Longview drove inside the Lufkin 20 with just less than five minutes to play in the second quarter.

A pass from Rowe to Bryant Williams picked up three yards and left the Lobos with a fourth and three. On fourth down, Washington was met in the backfield by several Panther defenders for a loss of three to end the series and keep the game scoreless.

“We took a lot of snaps on defense and to play that fast and that hard for that long, you have to give our guys credit and the coaches tried to keep them fresh,” Quick said. “There were some times our starters weren’t in there and we still made plays.”

On offense, Waters led the team with 46 yards on 11 carries, Coutee rushed for 38 yards and Gavin Phillips had 30.

Washington led the Lobos with 133 yards on 18 carries.

Lufkin (0-1) will host Nacogdoches on Friday and Longview will be at Marshall.

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

9 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Some of y’all just weren’t gonna be happy unless we won huh? 🤣 Without that busted play we might’ve won 3-0 or went to OT at 3-3. I’m chilling. This defense is gonna give us a shot every week. 

I'll never be happy with a lost ,I want them to win them all !!

8 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Lufkin shouldn’t struggle with the next two. Saying Longview is the best on the schedule might be a stretch. Defense looked good but rain games never answer many questions. 

Longview is going to be by far the best team we play all season. Lufkin had a lot to do with why Longview looked like that tonight.

Longview now 46-37-4 against Lufkin since 1932, and 21-20-1 in series matchups between Lufkin’s former home at Panther Stadium and current venue at Abe Martin Stadium. 

As we revel in a close 7-3 loss and great defensive play by the Lufkin Varsity at home, let's not forget that between the Freshman, JV and Varsity groups the Lobos outscored the Panthers 51-3.  If not for the lightning cancellations on Thursday it might have been worse.  They are still the best football program and Lufkin has to go there next year.  Yikes!!!  Let's wipe away the pixie dust and a rain soaked field for a moment.  This 2024 Lufkin group supposedly the best we have had in 20 years, could not defeat a Lobo team who is decidedly not what they were they past two years. To be frank and honest these 2024 kids have a ton to accomplish this year if they are to have any possibility being compared to the Lufkin teams of 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, because those teams were built on something that was began by that 1998 group. SUCCESS.  I've already talked about it, as talented as these kids are, they have not had a playoff platform built for them to be successful.  They have nothing to measure themselves against or look up to for an example.  Quick and staff have not done a good job of maintaining this program. These Lufkin senior players will need to forge their own way just as the 1998 team did and made their unexpected 4 round playoff run.  Go back in the history section and see who we played and beat back then, the caliber of the competition was phenomenal.  Katy, North Shore, Allen, Southlake, Atascocita, Spring Westfield, Austin Westlake and John Outlaw beat Longview at one point 11 times in a row.  John King is getting that back now against Quick, Lufkin is now 2-13 against Longview under Todd Quick.  That is an embarrassment to me as a Lufkin fan. 

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Also you see Tyler's coaching change honey moon stage might be over. You think we have offensive line problems wait until you see those guys lol. If Lufkin lost 41-13 to Marshall this board would burn down. I don't want to hear any more about how good the Tyler coach is. 

Well, Matt Stepp and DCTF have sure been talking up that coaching staff at Tyler.  I'm not familiar with Rashaun Woods coaching record elsewhere, other than he was an All American player at Oklahoma St.

3 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Longview now 46-37-4 against Lufkin since 1932, and 21-20-1 in series matchups between Lufkin’s former home at Panther Stadium and current venue at Abe Martin Stadium. 

As we revel in a close 7-3 loss and great defensive play by the Lufkin Varsity at home, let's not forget that between the Freshman, JV and Varsity groups the Lobos outscored the Panthers 51-3.  If not for the lightning cancellations on Thursday it might have been worse.  They are still the best football program and Lufkin has to go there next year.  Yikes!!!  Let's wipe away the pixie dust and a rain soaked field for a moment.  This 2024 Lufkin group supposedly the best we have had in 20 years, could not defeat a Lobo team who is decidedly not what they were they past two years. To be frank and honest these 2024 kids have a ton to accomplish this year if they are to have any possibility being compared to the Lufkin teams of 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, because those teams were built on something that was began by that 1998 group. SUCCESS.  I've already talked about it, as talented as these kids are, they have not had a playoff platform built for them to be successful.  They have nothing to measure themselves against or look up to for an example.  Quick and staff have not done a good job of maintaining this program. These Lufkin senior players will need to forge their own way just as the 1998 team did and made their unexpected 4 round playoff run.  Go back in the history section and see who we played and beat back then, the caliber of the competition was phenomenal.  Katy, North Shore, Allen, Southlake, Atascocita, Spring Westfield, Austin Westlake and John Outlaw beat Longview at one point 11 times in a row.  John King is getting that back now against Quick, Lufkin is now 2-13 against Longview under Todd Quick.  That is an embarrassment to me as a Lufkin fan. 

Only time will tell but Longview is still a really good team with a really strong SR class too. They may not quite be what they were the last 2-3 years but I don't think they're that far off I think Lufkin made Longview look the way they did last night. Longview will roll in the playoffs until they run into DeSoto in Rd 3 or 4. Lufkin at a minimum should make it to a thanksgiving game.