2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

One thing about those guys, they are hyped about their football, and do a 1st class job of promoting that sport. They are are all in. Lufkin use to be this way until the slow slide into the canyon.  Leadership bears the brunt of Lufkin not being a top football program most of the last 12 years. The difference has been night and day between the two programs. Quick can talk all day long about high expectations and missing the mark is not acceptable here, but his results the last 4 years tell a much different story. Doesn't matter if we are playing in a district of doom or not, Outlaw use to win those districts hands down. Just so tired of that coach speak, and being unable to even finish 4th these past 3 years for a playoff spot. We will all talk after this opening game, and we will know a lot more, and maybe it will be everything we've known all along.

Full interview 

Game was called for lightening with 5:39 left in the 3rd quarter, Lobos ahead 16-0. The JV plays great D, the O is the same old Green offense, they can run the ball some. Several false starts by the O.  Tackled on 1 yard line on a KO. They need more work, there are possibilities and positives, not sure how well they did last week against Huntsville. That was never discussed here. On to Friday night.

Anyway sub varsity squads shut out 44-0

Ball is destroying Manvel. Wow. 

34 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Game was called for lightening with 5:39 left in the 3rd quarter, Lobos ahead 16-0. The JV plays great D, the O is the same old Green offense, they can run the ball some. Several false starts by the O.  Tackled on 1 yard line on a KO. They need more work, there are possibilities and positives, not sure how well they did last week against Huntsville. That was never discussed here. On to Friday night.

Anyway sub varsity squads shut out 44-0

None of this surprise me. We can talk talent all day long and we do have it. But IMHO it has never been a talent problem here. Yes we have lacked it in some years more than others. That is still no excuse for the lack of success this program has seen over the years. Longview is just a much better program from top to bottom. It shows at every level and it's obvious when we play them. 

We are left hoping something special happens with this group. Not because our program has a solid foundation. Not because we have made any strides during the post season. Simply because we have an abundance of talent this year. But so does Longview and many other teams standing in our way. I'll hold out hope that we play well tomorrow. I won't be upset if we lose a close one. But I can't stomach another blowout. 

Man Ball High looked ------ good tonight. Sheesh. 

12 hours ago, timeout! said:

I said there will be 1 or 2 dark horses in the district. Lufkin will still have to put in work to earn one of those 4 playoff spots. 

Manvel is young, they are not the Manvel of the past.  DCTF only had them a 7 pt favorite. This doesn't surprise me, Manvel had 5 TO in their own territory, two snaps over punters head a blocked punt and two fumbles.   Can't win doing that stuff, terrible special teams. Opening KO ran back for a TD by Williams from Ball. Manvel's  picked to finish 4th in 22-6A, they are not ranked. Ball could be undefeated coming into district, they don't play a tough non district schedule, and play Sterling the 1st district game. With their schedule they could start the season 5-0. Would not read too much into this win.

10 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

No more talking. It's time to get after it. 

Your son plays hard man. I instantly noticed when he was in the game. I think I even mentioned it on here. Looks to me he has that hustle that can’t be taught. Just plays hard until that whistle. Can’t wait for tomorrow. Hope that QB situation works out. 

33 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Your son plays hard man. I instantly noticed when he was in the game. I think I even mentioned it on here. Looks to me he has that hustle that can’t be taught. Just plays hard until that whistle. Can’t wait for tomorrow. Hope that QB situation works out. 

Appreciate it. He's had a good summer and is in the best shape he's been in. He's also a film junkie and has pretty good instincts. He will be ready to go tomorrow. 

23 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Anyone wanting to put a point spread on Friday nights game? Any score predictions?

None from me this go around. Probably best.

I think the game could go either way. I'd feel more confident with Johnson but Kevo and Gavin will present different problems for Longview. I really like what our defensive game plan will be. Longview didn't really run on Lufkin last year so I don't think they will be able run on us this year. It will come down to how we react to the PA pass and how well Rowe deals with throwing under pressure. I think Hood coming off the edge could really be problematic for the Lobos. Then you have turnovers and penalties. I really think the Lufkin defense is being underestimated here. I'll take Lufkin is a close one 21-14

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/panthers-open-with-longview-tonight/article_ae7042e9-5039-57ed-a3cf-3e1e4b99fb76.html

The all-time series is close and the Panthers’ record against Longview at home is 20-20-1. But the Lobos have had the upper hand the last few seasons, having won seven straight with Lufkin’s last win in the series coming in 2016.

The Panthers look to change that tonight as they host the Lobos in the season opener for both teams.

Lufkin is coming off a season in which it had a chance to make the playoffs until the closing minutes of its game against Lancaster, falling 28-27 to finish 2-5 in district play and 5-5 on the season.

Longview advanced three rounds into the playoffs in 2023, getting eliminated by Lancaster 27-24.

While Lufkin struggled in its scrimmage against Huntsville last week, Longview scored a pair of touchdowns and two field goals against Texas High and allowed three TDs.

Senior Maverick Rowe started at QB in the scrimmage for Longview and drove the Lobos to a pair of field goals in the controlled portion. Sophomore Johnny Hamilton led the Lobos to a touchdown in the controlled scrimmage and in the timed portion.

Alexandre Mitchell hit both field goals and touchdowns came on a one-yard run by J’Anthony Adams and a run by Devion Jackson.

Texas High’s scores all came on big plays. The Tigers scored on an 80-yard run in the controlled portion and on a 37-yard pass and a 44-yard run in the timed portion.

“They played both of their quarterbacks last week. They’re different types of quarterbacks, but they both do really good things,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “They are good in the offensive and defensive lines just like they always are and they have a couple of linebackers that are really good.

“You know what you’re going to get, they’re going to run the ball, they’re going to play action and swarm the ball defensively. You have to be able to counter that with what you are doing on both sides of the ball.”

For the Panthers tonight, Quincy Coutee will be at quarterback with Javion Johnson out with a shoulder injury. Coutee has plenty of weapons on offense with Gavin Phillips and Kenneth Waters in the backfield and Krisean Preston, Ke’Vondrick Taylor and Jayden Nichols at receiver.

On defense, senior Zion Williams (LSU commit) is back at nose tackle with Jordan McClendon at defensive end, last year’s leading tackler Kaden Hooper back at linebacker and Evan Young returning at safety.

The Panthers have another weapon on special teams in kicker/punter Nolan Hansard.

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

20 hours ago, PackAttack said:

People all over town have classic Panther football items and helmets. I had many old Sideliner shirts and ball caps in storage going all the way back to 1996. Still have a 2001 State Champ jersey, a couple pieces of the stands of old Panther Stadium, and a couple very old mint condition Panther wrist watches. Not for sale. LOL Gave away a bunch of those Sideliner shirts, caps, playoff rally towels, seat cushions, cow bells and foam footballs a couple years ago, one was a 1998 Panther helmet, donated it to local charity group for auction. It was during my cancer treatment time, my frame of mind was there was no need to hang on to those things not used anymore. Today, everything is fine. My son may want the few things I still have and its not much. At one time in my life, would have never considered parting with any of those Panther items. Time and events in life changes the importance of having things, when you realize nothing last. Man, It was a fun and memorable journey with my family during those great football years, I will never forget them. Maybe this years team will bring back some of that greatness.

#28 was Stephen Coker P/K on 2001 team.

20200721_165625.jpg

20200721_142119.jpg

20200421_130811.jpg

i still have my healed broken collar bone separated shoulder and rank knee from my 79 - 80 season i will sell...

2 hours ago, Lp81 said:

i still have my healed broken collar bone separated shoulder and rank knee from my 79 - 80 season i will sell...

Man you really got beat up those years. That 79 team was pretty good bunch that ran into Plano again at Texas Stadium. Never understood why they could not have found a halfway spot in 1977 (9-2) and 1979 (8-2-1) to play Plano. I guess Coach Cauley lost the coin flip both times.

12 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Manvel hasn't been Manvel since Shadow Creek opened up. I don't know what they have this year but I don't believe they're loaded like in the days past 

Manvel is not the same With the New school of Iowa Colony and Shadow Creek talent is split up .