2023 - Lufkin Panthers @ Longview Lobos, September 15th @ Lobo Stadium, 7:30 PM Kickoff

Lufkin Panthers (3-0) at Longview Lobos (2-1)

DATE: Friday, September 15th
TIME: 7:30 PM
Lufkin Live Media Stream: https://www.lufkingametime.com/

Longview Live Media Stream: https://www.youtube.com/c/TexarkanaGameday

TICKET PURCHASE: At Lufkin ISD DEC on N. 1st Street.  - Wednesday 13th-Thursday 14th - 8 AM-4 PM, Friday 15th - 8 AM - 12 Noon - $8.00 each.  (cash or check only) 1000 tickets available for sale in Lufkin.  Tickets also at the Gate in Longview -$8.00 each (credit card only)

2022 Results:  Longview 56, Lufkin 7  (Lufkin and Longview have met 85 times with Longview holding a 44-37-4 advantage through 2022) 

Last week - Lufkin defeated A&M Consolidated 24-17 at home, while Longview won 28-7 at home over Tyler Legacy in a game called at the half because of lightening.

Longview enters this game as the #2 ranked team in 5ADI, Lufkin is ranked at #40 (Rankings by DCTF/Jerry's Pigskin Prep)

GAME PREVIEW :

Longview Lobos: Coach: John King. Lettermen R/L: 43/27. Starters returning O/D: 7/6. 2022: 14-1 DI state semifinalist/7-0 district. 

Players to watch: RB Taylor Tatum (5-11, 195, 4.4), DB Willie Nelson (5-9, 175, 4.5), DB Deadrian Garrett (5-11, 195, 4.5), DB Chase Smith (5-9, 185, 4.5), DL Xaryus Sheppard (6-2, 210, 4.7) Top juniors: ATH Kelvin Washington (5-9, 160, 4.4), LB Brendon Reese (6-1, 225, 4.6).: DL Billy Smith, WR Dakaylen Reese, OL Jacolby Watts, OL Tavion Morgan, TE/DL Jaymerson Darensbourg, OL Fernando Longoria, QB Andrew Tutt, QB Maverick Rowe.

2023 notes: The Lobos lost heavily on offense, but veteran coach King (211 wins) returns 39 seniors, a RB with three dozen college offers and defense that could be special. Tatum (1,889 yards, 33 TDs rushing) is an every down back with home run speed and toughness to run between the tackles. Tutt saw limited time under center, and will compete for the starting job with Rowe, who led the JV team to a 9-0 record. Defensively, the return of DL Smith (69 tackles, 17 TFL, 13 sacks) and Sheppard (76 tackles, 19 TFL, 12 sacks) up front, LB Reese (40 tackles) and DBs Nelson (77 tackles, 5 PBU, 5 INTs), Garrett (73 tackles, 9 PBU) and Smith (100 tackles, 10 TFL, 2 sacks, 6 PBU), is bad news for opposing offenses.

Lufkin Panthers - Coach: Todd Quick. Lettermen R/L: 24/26. Starters returning O/D: 5/5. 2022: 6-4/3-4 district. 

Players to watch: RB Kedren Young (5-11, 212, 4.5), DB Isaiah Menefee (6-2, 185, 4.5). Top juniors: LB Kaden Hooper (6-0, 1215), DL Zion Williams (6-4, 290, 5.1). RB Gavin Phillips.

Other key players: QB TJ Hammond, K Nolan Hansard, WR Kriesan Preston, WR Ke’Vondrick Taylor. WR Brayden Murphy, WR Keandre Hooper, OL Jordan Nochols,  DE Jordan McClendon. Soph QB Javion Johnson

2023 notes: Lufkin missing the playoffs didn’t happen for a stretch of 23 seasons from 1998-2020, but the postseason has come and gone minus the Panthers two years in a row. Expect that to change if RB Young (1,666 yards, 19 TDs rushing) continues to blossom into one of the state’s best. QB T.J. Hammond (1,464 yards, 13 TDs passing) has a year of experience under his belt, and the WR combo of Taylor (21-345, 3 TDs receiving) and Preston should help in his development. DB Menefee (67 tackles, 4 PBU, 2 INTs) turned in a solid season, and keep an eye on DL Williams (31 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 TFL), an imposing figure who saw plenty of action as a sophomore last season.

2023 Longview SCHEDULE:
08.24 - at McKinney - Loss 23-21
09.01 - at Marshall - Win 48-7
09.08 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 28-7 (Half Game)
09.15 - vs Lufkin
09.22 - at Lancaster
10.06 - at Forney
10.13 - vs North Mesquite
10.20 - at McKinney North
10.27 - vs Tyler
11.03 - at West Mesquite

• PackAttack changed the title to 2023 - Lufkin Panthers @ Longview Lobos, September 15th @ Lobo Stadium, 7:30 PM Kickoff
21 minutes ago, timeout! said:

It’s been a rough night. We have scored a total of 12 points in 3 games vs Longview. Something has to change. Us making the playoffs is in doubt now. Not sure we beat McKinney North or Forney. 

It's not that bad. Nobody has a defense like Longview. Not even close. I think we also found out that our run defense is pretty good. They making the playoffs.

37 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

It's not that bad. Nobody has a defense like Longview. Not even close. I think we also found out that our run defense is pretty good. They making the playoffs.

The run defense didn’t look that good to me. But maybe I’m missing something. I’m not jumping on them for this one game. However, i didn’t see much fight after that first drive. Also, i thought the passing game was better going into this one……definitely was wrong. 

17 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

The run defense didn’t look that good to me. But maybe I’m missing something. I’m not jumping on them for this one game. However, i didn’t see much fight after that first drive. Also, i thought the passing game was better going into this one……definitely was wrong. 

Tatum had 18 for 87 yards. I thought that was about as well as you could play him. Short fields and the offense not being able to capitalize cost us more than anything