2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

Jv  won 40-0

Good win for our JV.

Norh Mesquite really took down West Mesquite last night. They kept pouring it on in the 4th quarter. Lots of mistakes and TO by WM.

22 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Still half the season and he has already thrown in the towel. I'm wondering did he actually watch any of the Longview and Forney games. The defense played well against Longview and they had Forney in a tough game for the first time this year. At least wait and see what happens against McKinney North. I don't think anyone thought we would go 10-0 and that's how he is acting. Arm chair QB at his finest.

Also saying the players haven't been developed is just dumb. 

It has been a long two weeks for the Lufkin Panthers since the last time they took the field. Their bye came after a tough loss to Forney on a night Lufkin was snake bit by injuries, falling to 0-2 in district for the second straight season.

That bye should be beneficial for the Panthers as they add some of those injured players back into the mix for the stretch run.

However, the Panthers are ready to erase the memories of that slow start while beginning what they hope turns into a playoff push.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-look-to-get-back-on-track/article_082987b5-4156-50e8-ae44-f3b2c000bd3f.html

“You’ve always got to wait a week to get that medicine after a loss,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. Then you just add another week to it, and it’s tough. They’re ready to get back out there.”

The Panthers will return to the field tonight when they travel to take on a North Mesquite team featuring an identical 0-2 record.

With McKinney North, Tyler and Lancaster still left on the schedule, the Panthers have the potential to work themselves back into the playoff picture. Before they get to that stretch run, Quick and the Panthers know they can’t afford a slip up.

“Every day of practice is the most important one we’ve had this year,” Quick said. “There are big games still ahead. But right now, (tonight) is the biggest game of the year.”

North Mesquite has had plenty of their own struggles. It started with a 28-25 win over North Garland, but the Stallions haven’t found the win column since.

North Mesquite finished non-district play with back-to-back losses to Mesquite (29-9) and North Forney (34-14). The Stallions have been competitive in the first two district games, although they have nothing to show for it.

North Mesquite started district with a 21-6 loss to Tyler before dropping a 27-16 decision to West Mesquite.

The strength of the Stallions has been on the defensive side, where they have been able to keep a struggling offense in games. Lufkin and North Mesquite have allowed an identical 136 points through five games.

Caleb Greene and Leander Parrish are a pair of defensive ends who have had strong seasons for the Stallions.

“They’ve got two defensive ends who are pretty good and play hard,” Quick said. “Sometimes they’ll put five in the box. We have to be able to run at that and let Kedren (Young) kind of take over the game.”

Young has been stellar once again this season, running for 687 yards and 9 touchdowns on 125 carries. He has 3,326 career rushing yards, which puts him 431 yards shy of matching Jorvorskie Lane’s school record.

On the other side of the ball, Lufkin is looking for a bounce-back game. The Panthers have allowed 42 points in each of the last two weeks after giving up 17 points per contest in the first three games.

The Stallions have struggled on offense this season, averaging 18 points per contest.

However, they feature a potential playmaking threat in Luke Seder, the son of head coach Tim Seder. He has thrown for 663 yards and five touchdowns to go along with four interceptions on 52-of-113 passing. He is also the team’s top rusher with 253 yards and four touchdowns on 53 carries.

Luke Seder had plenty of success against Lufkin last year when he threw for 261 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 20-of-27 passing. Much of that damage was done by receiver Cordale Russell, who caught eight passes for 169 yards and a touchdown. Russell is now on the TCU roster.

“(Seder) spreads it around and he can pull it down and run, as well,” Quick said. “Teams have gotten a lot of pressure on him, but he’s their guy.”

His top target this season has been Julien Simpson, who has caught 16 passes for 240 yards and a pair of scores. Chase Adams has 11 catches for 191 yards and a touchdown.

Ka’majay Else is North Mesquite’s second-leading rusher with 167 yards on 18 carries while Kayleb Fields has run for 138 yards and a touchdown on 25 rushes.

Lufkin will try to add to the North Mesquite offensive struggles after making the three-hour trip tonight. In the process, the Panthers could jump start a potential playoff run.

“The main thing is to get back to playing good football,” Quick said. “We understand where we’re at and how important each day is.”

Kickoff for tonight’s game is set for 7. It will be held at Mesquite’s Hanby Stadium.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.ts

Josh Havard has picked Lufkin over North Mesquite by 40-17.

My pick is Lufkin will win. Quick never runs up a score,, so it will probably be like 31 - 38 for Lufkin and 14 for NM. 

Reminder that McKinney North won 61-19 over West Mesquite and Aledo won 73-0 over Ft Worth South Hills. They beat The Colony last week 69-13.  Aledo doesn't mess around with the weak or strong teams.

25 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Josh Havard has picked Lufkin over North Mesquite by 40-17.

My pick is Lufkin will win. Quick never runs up a score,, so it will probably be like 31 - 38 for Lufkin and 14 for NM. 

Reminder that McKinney North won 61-19 over West Mesquite and Aledo won 73-0 over Ft Worth South Hills. They beat The Colony last week 69-13.  Aledo doesn't mess around with the weak or strong teams.

JT only beat them 21-3. So I would like to see something more difnitive then that. But I could see us coming out a little slow on offense. That WR they had is gone. He's at TCU now.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Still half the season and he has already thrown in the towel. I'm wondering did he actually watch any of the Longview and Forney games. The defense played well against Longview and they had Forney in a tough game for the first time this year. At least wait and see what happens against McKinney North. I don't think anyone thought we would go 10-0 and that's how he is acting. Arm chair QB at his finest.

I’m just look for opinion because I know ours differ. Who have you seen been developed in recent years by the staff. I fail to see much improvement in individual development  

I understand the 9th grade group also won over North Mesquite, they didn't give me a score.  Reminder the JV won 40-0.

Lufkin 9th is 2-4 and JV are also 2-4 so far this year.

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I happen too know him and he's petty well versed on panther football. His nephew went to A&M and was drafted by the Chargers, but what he's looking at is the old saying.." THEY KEEP DOING THE SAME THING EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS" so far he's been right 😳

5 hours ago, Pack13 said:

I’m just look for opinion because I know ours differ. Who have you seen been developed in recent years by the staff. I fail to see much improvement in individual development  

Development is a two way street a kid has to want to be developed and put in the extra work. They do enough to put the kids in a position physically to play at the next level. I see first hand the off season workouts and it's definitely enough. When guys like Kedren and Zion stop going D1 and not for grades I'll blame them about development. That's just me. I just don't see where you can point to and say it's a development issue unless he's talking more about as a football player and not physically working out. That I would agree with but don't have the time to type everything wrong with how they develope kids as football players. I'm just saying I don't think the play on the field has anything to do with them physically from off-season workouts. 

10 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Development is a two way street a kid has to want to be developed and put in the extra work. They do enough to put the kids in a position physically to play at the next level. I see first hand the off season workouts and it's definitely enough. When guys like Kedren and Zion stop going D1 and not for grades I'll blame them about development. That's just me. I just don't see where you can point to and say it's a development issue unless he's talking more about as a football player and not physically working out. That I would agree with but don't have the time to type everything wrong with how they develope kids as football players. I'm just saying I don't think the play on the field has anything to do with them physically from off-season workouts. 

I appreciate the response. 

1 hour ago, Packfan49 said:

I happen too know him and he's petty well versed on panther football. His nephew went to A&M and was drafted by the Chargers, but what he's looking at is the old saying.." THEY KEEP DOING THE SAME THING EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS" so far he's been right 😳

I get that part. But he's saying the season is already over and that no playoffs is already a for gone conclusion. I haven't seen enough for me to say that yet. Defense is better then he is giving them credit for too. We all know offense is the problem and it has more to do with the coaching then the kids imo. Let's see how they look tonight and next week before we say no playoffs.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I get that part. But he's saying the season is already over and that no playoffs is already a for gone conclusion. I haven't seen enough for me to say that yet. Defense is better then he is giving them credit for too. We all know offense is the problem and it has more to do with the coaching then the kids imo. Let's see how they look tonight and next week before we say no playoffs.

Point taken, let's see tonight. I think it really boils down too one thing, we are all frustrated about the teams lack of success over the last few years, and most don't see or think it will change under the current leadership