2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

7 hours ago, mr. b said:

Was York that dominant in high school at Temple ?  I think it’s just amazing how he has stepped into a starter role at linebacker at a SEC School.  

You need to go watch his hudl. It's the best LB tape you will see outside Anthony Hill Jr and even then it's close. He's for sure one of the best LBs I've ever seen at the HS level. I'd put him in my top 5. Aggies got one. He's only going to get better. He's gonna play on Sunday for a while.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lufkin using bye to refuel for stretch run

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/lufkin-using-bye-to-refuel-for-stretch-run/article_98e80ede-fe84-58f7-b2a5-0ed197effa6b.html

It’s been a rough start to district action for the Lufkin Panthers, who started with back-to-back games against two of the top powerhouses from 7-5A DI.

Now, after back-to-back losses, most of Lufkin’s room for error is gone.

Therefore, Lufkin’s only bye week of the season was anything but some time off for as it starts a stretch of five games that will determine if they return to the playoffs for the first time since 2020.

“It’s still a work week,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “It’s not an off week at all because if you aren’t getting better, then you’re falling behind.”

Lufkin’s bye week comes with two major factors in mind as it looks to clean up some sloppy play. while also trying to get back to full strength.

Standout defensive lineman Zion Williams was hurt against Longview and missed the Forney game.

Lufkin lost starting QB T.J. Hammond and backup Javion Johnson in the loss to Forney. Quick said he expects both to return to full strength.

“We have to get well and get guys better,” Quick said. “You always want guys to step up when given the opportunity, but making a run is obviously easier when you’re healthy.”

Lufkin opened the season with three straight wins over Tyler Legacy, Nacogdoches and A&M Consolidated before stumbling against Longview and Forney, two teams tied for first place with McKinney North after two weeks.

While chasing a district title would be a stretch at this point, the Panthers likely need four wins in their last five games in order to return to the postseason.

However, their focus was on more of a shorter term approach than the big picture.

“We’ve got to clean up the mistakes we’ve been making,” Quick said. “You have to let guys get healthy while continuing to work hard.”

The Panthers will make the long trip to North Mesquite after the bye week in a matchup of 0-2 teams.

Quick said the majority of the week was spent on the team’s improvement before shifting to the Stallions.

“Monday through Wednesday, we were pretty much working on ourselves,” Quick said. “You start getting into North Mesquite on Thursday and Friday just to get going in that direction.”

Regardless of the opponent, Quick said the focus was simple the rest of the way.

“Every game is important at this point,” Quick said. “We’ve dug ourselves a hole. Now it’s time to get out of it.”

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

I corrected a typo in the article above which stated " if it starts a stretch of five games that will determine if it returns to the playoffs for the first time since 2000".  Should have said 2020. 

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin using bye to refuel for stretch run

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/lufkin-using-bye-to-refuel-for-stretch-run/article_98e80ede-fe84-58f7-b2a5-0ed197effa6b.html

It’s been a rough start to district action for the Lufkin Panthers, who started with back-to-back games against two of the top powerhouses from 7-5A DI.

Now, after back-to-back losses, most of Lufkin’s room for error is gone.

Therefore, Lufkin’s only bye week of the season was anything but some time off for as it starts a stretch of five games that will determine if they return to the playoffs for the first time since 2020.

“It’s still a work week,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “It’s not an off week at all because if you aren’t getting better, then you’re falling behind.”

Lufkin’s bye week comes with two major factors in mind as it looks to clean up some sloppy play. while also trying to get back to full strength.

Standout defensive lineman Zion Williams was hurt against Longview and missed the Forney game.

Lufkin lost starting QB T.J. Hammond and backup Javion Johnson in the loss to Forney. Quick said he expects both to return to full strength.

“We have to get well and get guys better,” Quick said. “You always want guys to step up when given the opportunity, but making a run is obviously easier when you’re healthy.”

Lufkin opened the season with three straight wins over Tyler Legacy, Nacogdoches and A&M Consolidated before stumbling against Longview and Forney, two teams tied for first place with McKinney North after two weeks.

While chasing a district title would be a stretch at this point, the Panthers likely need four wins in their last five games in order to return to the postseason.

However, their focus was on more of a shorter term approach than the big picture.

“We’ve got to clean up the mistakes we’ve been making,” Quick said. “You have to let guys get healthy while continuing to work hard.”

The Panthers will make the long trip to North Mesquite after the bye week in a matchup of 0-2 teams.

Quick said the majority of the week was spent on the team’s improvement before shifting to the Stallions.

“Monday through Wednesday, we were pretty much working on ourselves,” Quick said. “You start getting into North Mesquite on Thursday and Friday just to get going in that direction.”

Regardless of the opponent, Quick said the focus was simple the rest of the way.

“Every game is important at this point,” Quick said. “We’ve dug ourselves a hole. Now it’s time to get out of it.”

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

We have been digging ourselves in a hole for a while now. Surprised we haven't fell through to China by now. When was the last time we won district, 2018? And two years with no playoff appearances and on track for a third straight.

I know coach Quick has to give updates on the team. But I'm past all the "we have to correct mistakes, working on ourselves, continue to get better, etc." Just show me some results of all the hard work and correcting mistakes. Actions speak louder than words. 

We have seen this script many times. Lufkin will come out and most likely dominate N.Mesquite next week. Everyone will feel good and coach will talk about how they corrected mistakes and got back to playing Panther football. He will then mention how they will have to carry that focus over for a big matchup against N.McKinney. We are still not out of the woods with a victory over them. Lufkin will need to be clicking on all cylinders to grab one of those 4 spots. I think the defense will settle in and be fine, once everyone is healthy. The offense is gonna have to mix up. That side of the ball has been too one dimensional.

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

I know coach Quick has to give updates on the team. But I'm past all the "we have to correct mistakes, working on ourselves, continue to get better, etc." Just some me some results of all the hard work and correcting mistakes. Actions speak louder than words. 

This is what always messes with my head. Why this fixing stuff continues 5 or 6 games into a season. You can't keep addressing things in this way season after season. The team should be getting better as the season moves on.  All of this current 2023 group, coaches and players have 5 games left this year to again make a difference and change folks minds about this team ending up as they have the past two seasons.  I hear the words, we've heard them before of course. At some point, fans stop listening because the results do not match the talk.

20 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

This is what always messes with my head. Why this fixing stuff continue 5 or 6 games into a season. You can't keep addressing things in this way season after season. The team should be getting better as the season moves on.  All of this current 2023 group, coaches and players have 5 games left this year to again make a difference and change folks minds about this team ending up as they have the past two seasons.  I hear the words, we've heard them before of course. At some point, fans stop listening because the results do not match the talk.

True 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

This is what always messes with my head. Why this fixing stuff continues 5 or 6 games into a season. You can't keep addressing things in this way season after season. The team should be getting better as the season moves on.  All of this current 2023 group, coaches and players have 5 games left this year to again make a difference and change folks minds about this team ending up as they have the past two seasons.  I hear the words, we've heard them before of course. At some point, fans stop listening because the results do not match the talk.

Bingo! And here we are in the exact spot as last year. With a team, that most of us believe is much better. I know we had key injuries last week. I don't fault the players much, outside of the bonehead personal fouls. Just look like we are on the exact same path as last year. 3-0 start and two losses to open district. We got blown out at home against Longview last year and the same on the road this year. I could be mistaken, but I believe Forney beat 42-21 last year and this year. Just under different circumstances. 

I'm just gonna let the year play out. The only reason I haven't thrown in the towel. I know what type of players we have on this team. 

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

Bingo! And here we are in the exact spot as last year. With a team, that most of us believe is much better. I know we had key injuries last week. I don't fault the players much, outside of the bonehead personal fouls. Just look like we are on the exact same path as last year. 3-0 start and two losses to open district. We got blown out at home against Longview last year and the same on the road this year. I could be mistaken, but I believe Forney beat 42-21 last year and this year. Just under different circumstances. 

I'm just gonna let the year play out. The only reason I haven't thrown in the towel. I know what type of players we have on this team. 

Yep. Because all this staff can do is beat the bad and average teams and lose to the good ones. Doesn’t matter the talent obviously. What more y’all need to see? 

25 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yep. Because all this staff can do is beat the bad and average teams and lose to the good ones. Doesn’t matter the talent obviously. What more y’all need to see? 

Kinda like groundhog day,the movie,over and over but no change.we said this in 21.22.

4 hours ago, timeout! said:

This team IS much better than last season overall. The evaluations here are hard to make because we went TO Longview to get beat, we were 23 point underdogs the whole way leading up to that game. Not to score at all is the real messed up part. Regardless, we were probably losing that game, even if it has been by 21 just points and not 42.  The other thing was the Lufkin D did decent job controlling the Lobo run game for the most part. It was our secondary, special teams coverage and TOs giving us poor field position to defend that killed us.  We gave a bunch to Longview, and they gladly took it from us. Thought the offensive game play going in was shallow, Green really thought he could run Young on the Lobo D.??? 

Forney you can throw out all comparisons because we didn't have Zion and a few others coming into that game. We were 16 point underdogs at our own place. Then we lose both QBs, and lose our best RB to QB. It was 21-21 early in the 4th. Forney, ran it up a bit to make it look more of a blowout, but we know and they know it wasn't.  That Panther team showed a ton of heart staying in that game, tied game in the 4th. So how do you evaluate?, because that was not like last year's loss when we played them with all the starters in Forney.  

Yes, the Panthers are 0-2, we did it to ourselves in Longview, and without key people against Forney. We don't like it, I don't  like it, just don't see it being as bad a situation as last year. The schedule gets much more manageable the rest of the way. When this team gets healthy,  they have the talent to beat the rest of this district. It's not the players I worry about anyway. 😎

There are many things at play here, there are still match ups in play. You think Forney will beat Longview?, I don't.  What happens if Lancaster loses again? You see, there is still a lot to play for, lot's at stake. As I said last week, If Lufkin takes care of Lufkin the rest of the way, they are in the playoffs. The kids don't need to be concerned about what anyone else is doing.  This team wins out they are in, starts next Friday at North Mesquite 

Not soft soaping my thoughts here, they still  have a lot to prove in order not to end up like the last two seasons.

I agree with everything you said PA. It was more so the way we lost in Longview that was disappointing. And yes we gave Longview a lot. But we been giving them a lot for a while now. At some point. We got to stop being so generous. 😁

I have no shame in the Forney loss. Our guys came to play and showed a lot of heart. Nothing much we could do about that. Although Green punting the ball down 2 scores, with 4min left is a head scratcher. You mention a while back that the program seems snack bitten. We have had key injuries or players not available in some big games. Our best DE Breylan Garcia had a season ending injury in 2017 and was not available for the matchup against Longview at SFA. Our starting Qb was injured the following year and couldn't go against Lone Star. Which forced us to use our 3rd string Qb. Because the 2nd string guy wasn't available. We prob still lose that game regardless. And then the next year, Jalyn Polk gets hurt right before the playoffs. The offense never got back on track and was upset at home against Texas High. Injuries are a part of the game. Guess it's just sticks out more here, because of our lack of success. 

6 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I guess we will find out over the next 5 weeks. 

I actually like Lufkin being in this district. It forces our coaches to be prepared or else..The only down side is the distance. DFW has some of the best football programs from top to bottom right now. You will most likely have to go through one of them to win a title. Especially at the higher classifications. We will prob be placed back in Houston district next year. The travel will be much better. But I don't see us facing the same level of competition that way. 

35 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I guess we will find out over the next 5 weeks. 

Well, the talent is there, no excuses for a repeat of the last two years.  We are stuck with the O scheme maker we have, just need to use more than Young and Murphy on 75% of the play calls. I can only SMH, cause I'd be spreading the ball to everyone. This game is about winning and making a playoff run. Not making history getting Young the all time rushing yards trophy.

11 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Well, the talent is there, no excuses for a repeat of the last two years.  We are stuck with the O scheme maker we have, just need to use more than Young and Murphy on 75% of the play calls. I can only SMH, cause I'd be spreading the ball to everyone. This game is about winning and making a playoff run. Not making history getting Young the all time rushing yards trophy.

I'd also like to see Chinn get a few more opportunities. The kid has played hard on special teams and I think deserves a few more bones thrown his way. 

Like I said, Lufkin holds their own keys. The talent is there, so you know who holds the responsibility for their success.  There are some important folks watching to see how this year turns out. It would behoove them to do well in the remaining games they have afforded to them.

13 hours ago, timeout! said:

I'd also like to see Chinn get a few more opportunities. The kid has played hard on special teams and I think deserves a few more bones thrown his way. 

Chinn is a really good RB, he should be one of the main RBs next year, whether or not Wallace returns.  Panthers are deep at RB this year but you would never known it until last week when all our QBs went out. We were fortunate to have Chinn to step in.  Keandre Hooper or Kevo Taylor also could be used more out of the backfield too, like KeKe Coutee or Malik Jackson were used. Just haven't seen that too much. There are many other options for this offense if the OC weren't trying so hard to get Kedren that all time rushing title. Nothing against Young doing so, I want him to get it, but not at a cost of losing games or missing the playoffs.  Just include all your talent, it will only open it up more for Kedren to get his yards.  Then everyone is happy. Defenses are keying on Young, spread it around.

7-5A Division I:
1) Forney (5-0, 2-0)
2) Longview (4-1, 2-0)
3) McKinney North (4-1, 2-0)
4) Tyler (4-1, 1-1)
5) West Mesquite (3-2, 1-1)
6) Lufkin (3-2, 0-2)
7) Lancaster (1-4, 0-2)
8) North Mesquite (1-4, 0-2)

DCTF CURRENT 5A DI PLAYOFF  PROJECTIONS:

D5 No 1. Mansfield Timberview vs D6 No 4. Frisco Heritage
D7 No 3. McKinney North vs D8 No 2. La Porte
D5 No 4. North Richland Hills Birdville vs D6 No 1. Frisco Lone Star
D7 No 2. Forney vs D8 No 3. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill

D5 No 3. Carrollton Newman Smith vs D6 No 2. Frisco Reedy
D7 No 1. Longview vs D8 No 4. New Caney Porter
D5 No 2. North Richland Hills Richland vs D6 No 3. Frisco Wakeland
D7 No 4. Lancaster vs D8 No 1. Port Arthur Memorial

Lufkin Panthers (3-2, 0-2) at North Mesquite Stallions (1-4, 0-2)

DATE: Friday, October 6th, 2023
TIME: 7:00 PM
Lufkin Live Game Media Stream: https://www.lufkingametime.com/

TICKET PURCHASE: https://www.nmstallions.com/HTtickets

My apologies folks, I've not been too excited about this week.  Many reasons for it, nor does it do any good to rehash it. So that doesn't leave much to talk about. 

What do you think about Lufkin covering that 16 point spread against North Mesquite?  

Haven't change my mind at all about the talent on this football team, it's there. The guys game planning just need to use all of it better. Panthers backs are to the wall is an understatement. Don't know how all this is going to play out, but Lufkin's got to win out IMO. What everyone else does in district over the next 5 games doesn't matter as long as the Panthers can win their games.  Someone asked me at the store about our chances if we lost one more game. I said why talk about that, it would not be good, it leaves you crawling trying to get 4th place. SMH  

Lancaster has already played Longview and McKinney North, they only have Forney, Tyler and Lufkin to contend with them.  Longview has played Lufkin and Lancaster, they will take on Forney this Friday, then McKinney North and Tyler are left on their schedule.  Not meaning to leave out Tyler and West Mesquite, they all have better records than Lufkin and could have a say before it's over. What all that means is there is very little room at the inn, Lufkin will have to beat good teams to get into the playoffs, and not just one team, 3 or 4 good teams. Reason I say that is, that hasn't happened here in a while. 

The expectations for this particular group of Lufkin kids were so high for me to start the year, because you just see it there on the field.  Then you get to game 5 or 6 and we are still struggling to work things out.  That's been the same case around here for awhile now, no matter who is putting on the uniform.  Two seasons in a row no playoffs, and you can bet the chances of that happening again have grown a bit after starting  0-2 again for the 2nd year in a row.

Next 3  games, two are on the road ( NM and Tyler) (McKinney North at Home), are must wins, there is no other way to say it.  McKinney North will be just like Forney coming into ABE.  There are no easy games left and I'm talking about North Mesquite this week too.  I ask again, do you think Lufkin covers that +16 on the road?  

Lancaster (surprisingly) and North Mesquite are also 0-2, a big difference between those two teams.  With Longview, Forney and McKinney North all at 2-0, they are in the cat bird seat looking down at everyone else. Someone between Longview and Forney will have a loss this week, and Lancaster is at Tyler in two big district games. MC North is at West Mesquite on Thursday.

Whoever is 0-3 after this week is in big trouble.

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Tbh if we can’t cover that +16 against this team, then idk what to say anymore. 

My interest waned a bit this week, the curse of folks sending me TMI.  SMH. I take everything with a grain of salt in all cases, because I don't know a single thing first hand, although many of the thoughts sent sound so Deja vu, and there is nothing any of us can do to change the circumstances. It's been on our minds for years.

Off week can bring out the bear in a lot of fans after two straight losses. There is a sense of frustration, uncertainty, no confidence and anger, that sound off in a few of these text. So I remain vigilant not to ignite my gut feelings in any of it during an off week. It's too early for that anyway, the next three games will show us the way.  Just want to impart that my gut feelings at mid season have only been wrong twice in 25 years. That was 2003 and 2012.  Then again, being in denial, no matter which side you stand, can be a terrible burden to bear for some folks.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

My interest waned a bit this week, the curse of folks sending me TMI.  SMH. I take everything with a grain of salt in all cases, because I don't know a single thing first hand, although many of the thoughts sent sound so Deja vu, and there is nothing any of us can do to change the circumstances. It's been on our minds for years.

Off week can bring out the bear in a lot of fans after two straight losses. There is a sense of frustration, uncertainty, no confidence and anger, that sound off in a few of these text. So I remain vigilant not to ignite my gut feelings in any of it during an off week. It's too early for that anyway, the next three games will show us the way.  Just want to impart that my gut feelings at mid season have only been wrong twice in 25 years. That was 2003 and 2012.  Then again, being in denial, no matter which side you stand, can be a terrible burden to bear for some folks.

What’s your gut saying this year?