2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

17 minutes ago, Jon Moxon said:

They will have to keep some if new HC wants coachs to come from programs in bigger districts. Lufkun don’t pay like Katy and Allen does. They prolly dont even compare to Tyler or Longview. 

Considering Lufkin isn’t even the highest paying district in this year I’d believe you are correct. But there are few on the staff I think I’d keep. Most of the offensive staff can go. Strength coach needs adding but that position can serve all teams. Special teams needs added because I don’t believe anyone named one last week. Simple fixes. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Considering Lufkin isn’t even the highest paying district in this year I’d believe you are correct. But there are few on the staff I think I’d keep. Most of the offensive staff can go. Strength coach needs adding but that position can serve all teams. Special teams needs added because I don’t believe anyone named one last week. Simple fixes. 

There is no one designated in the game program as "Special Teams" coach.  So there is a coach wearing multiple hats for that job.

Here is an FYI for you. Lufkin is averaging 15 points per game the past three games.  There is so much more talent to use on this team besides our star running back.  Kedren is a great young man and a great talent and I'm sure he would appreciate the help. 

I want to say how proud I am of the boys again. Can't say it enough. Those kids never gave up and kept scrapping. Kedren was thrown in at Qb and still managed to lead them to the tying score in the 4th. Javion Johnson gave it his all too. Kid kept trying to come in, despite cramping and who knows what else. He was out there hobbling around and still trying to play. Until he couldn't stand anymore. TJ was on the sidelines encouraging the guys the whole game. Those kids wanted that game. The only stains are the bonehead penalties down the stretch, and some questionable play calling. 

Give these kids the tools they really need to excel. They deserve so much more than what they are getting. 

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Here is an FYI for you. Lufkin is averaging 15 points per game the past three games.  There is so much more talent to use on this team besides our star running back.  Kedren is a great young man and a great talent and I'm sure he would appreciate the help. 

That really bothers me. Watching them continue to ram him into stacked boxes. They been doing the same thing, since his sophomore year. The young man can only do so much. You compare his usage to Tatum and the Rb for Forney and you see a big difference. This should've been a year were his usage went down. Allow the threat of the run to open up everything else. He would still get his yard, but at a much easier clip. But we can't do that, because our offense has no direction. Like someone said earlier, we don't have an identity.

I mentioned to someone last week. That Longview is better at what they want to do on offense vs what we want to do. If nothing else, Longview will run the ball and be good at it. Or at the very least, the threat of it allows them to set up other things. We just out there throwing darts at a board and hoping something sticks. 

We haven't done much since the Legacy game. Preston, Taylor, Hooper and several others should have more touches. I was excited to see Taylor lined up in the backfield. That play worked for a TD. You have to get those guys the ball. 

You know, we have this off week, hopefully they can get everyone healthy. It probably comes at a very good time for the team when you add T J to that injury list with all the others, there are several kids.

I am not going to surmise too much, I've been around a while, played football and watched a ton more, especially Panther games.  I recognize  a lot of things. Lufkin started the year at full strength and looked really decent the first two games.  Don't think they wanted to show too much for a good reason.  Then the dings started to happen, Philips is not 100% so the big H-back projections went out the window, and we know he has not returned.  Our game with AMC was hard fought, the D kept us in it until we finally got Kendren going in the 4th to win.  We had a few more dinged up, can't be specific but there were 6 or 7 not dressed out for the Longview game, then we lost Zion Williams.  I don't figure the coaches ever thought they could win that game, let's be honest, and it looked like they prepared that way.  So now the game they want to prepare to win is here, Forney, and there is no Zion or Gavin.  There are still a few not suited up on the sidelines, your down to one NT with experience. Then, you lose your starting QB on the 2nd play of the game, your soph backup comes in with little Varsity game experience. Whatever game plan you had coming in is out the window. The immediate effect is there is no passing game, wheels are turning. If it couldn't get any worse, the back up QB cramps up multiple times in the 3rd and finally has to leave the game in the 3rd. NOW, your starting RB is the QB.   You all know the rest. Did the best we could under unfortunate circumstances. 

This team needs to be not only healthy but needs their depth back to be effective the rest of the way.  Good timing IMO for an off week.

FYI - the Forney player who hit T J with the crown of his helmet should have been tossed from the game. It was obvious he led with intention.  No one has talked about that, and lets not forget T J and his neck injury last season against Lancaster. Hope he is going to be okay.

I was just thinking that some of this years football schedule is going to be a farewell tour of sorts, because several of these schools in our district will be either moving up in classification, or to a district closer to their area.  Forney will probably join North Forney in 6A for 2024-25

As I mentioned, Forney will move to 6A, along with Lancaster, North Mesquite and possibly Longview.  McKinney North will end up in a district closer to their proximity, it won't be down South again, don't know if they are close to 6A numbers or not. As for West Mesquite, we probably don't see them again either, they have a larger enrollment than North Mesquite. WM going 6A would not surprise.

So, that leaves Lufkin and Tyler, and someone mentioned possibly Tyler Legacy in 5A DI.  Have to wait and see if that happens.  No surprise if Longview stays 5A DI, could go either way.  I read somewhere that Duncanville may move to 5A DI with the opening of a new high school there.  We will know a bit more come the end of October when the ISDs turn in their enrolment numbers. 

No guessing from me where Lufkin ends up, I've been completely wrong with my guesses the last two alignments. I do have a preference though, not to be in  a Northern district, so we probably will. LOL

25 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

FYI - the Forney player who hit T J with the crown of his helmet should have been tossed from the game. It was obvious he led with intention.  No one has talked about that, and lets not forget T J and his neck injury last season against Lancaster. Hope he is going to be okay

Amen to this. Idk why but I felt like TJ was going to have a good game. He seemed locked in and ready. Very unfortunate. 

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

No guessing from me where Lufkin ends up, I've been completely wrong with my guesses the last two alignments. I do have a preference though, to not go  to a Northern district, so we probably will. LOL

I know it’s not gonna happen but I just wish we could drop to D2. Putting us in a district would be easy work at that point. 

6 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I know it’s not gonna happen but I just wish we could drop to D2. Putting us in a district would be easy work at that point. 

Well, you know we did play all those guys in a district for 2 years (2014-2015) and it was pretty competitive, we never won the district.  Ennis, Tyler, Corsicana, Lindale, Whitehouse, Jacksonville, Nacogdoches were in that district, and you could add in Marshall if you wanted.

We even lost to Nacogdoches in 2014. 

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Well, you know we did play all those guys in a district for 2 years (2014-2015) and it was pretty competitive, we never won the district.  Ennis, Tyler, Corsicana, Lindale, Whitehouse, Jacksonville, Nacogdoches were in that district, and you could add in Marshall if you wanted.

We even lost to Nacogdoches in 2014. 

Yeah, I remember. I didn’t mean it would be easy for us, I just meant easy for UIL and easier travel for us. There’s plenty of 5A D2 close enough to us. It’s the whole D1 thing that kills us 

11 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Yeah, I remember. I didn’t mean it would be easy for us, I just meant easy for UIL and easier travel for us. There’s plenty of 5A D2 close enough to us. It’s the whole D1 thing that kills us 

Yea, we would need to lose in excess of 200 students to qualify for DII. Maybe they can find about 300 students that are part time workers, count them as 1/2 students in October count day.

From UIL site: students receiving less than four (4) hours of instruction per day, shall be counted as a half (1/2) student each

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Yea, we would need to lose in excess of 200 students to qualify for DII. Maybe they can find about 300 student that are part time workers, count them as 1/2 students in October count day.

From UIL site: students receiving less than four (4) hours of instruction per day, shall be counted as a half (1/2) student each

Surely there’s a program out there somewhere that knows how to do that extremely well 😏

Dave Campbell's Texas Football, the official rankings partner of the Associated Press, released its Week 6 Texas high school football state rankings. - 5A DI Rankings:

1. Aledo (5-0)

2. Longview (4-1)

3. Mansfield Timberview  (5-0)

4. Port Arthur Memorial (4-0)

5. Fulshear (4-0)

6. Smithson Valley (4-1)

7. Rad Oak (4-0)

8. PSJA Memorial (5-0)

9. Frisco Lone Star (3-1)

10. Forney (5-0)

District 7-5A Standings by statistics:

School Name *W-L *Pct. *PF *PA W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
Forney 2-0 1.000 111 21 5-0 1.000 290 31 5 W
Longview 2-0 1.000 94 35 4-1 0.800 191 72 4 W
McKinney North 2-0 1.000 59 47 4-1 0.800 188 87 3 W
Tyler 1-1 0.500 47 37 4-1 0.800 140 99 1 L
West Mesquite 1-1 0.500 27 85 3-2 0.600 96 134 1 W
North Mesquite 0-2 0.000 22 48 1-4 0.200 73 136 4 L
Lancaster 0-2 0.000 56 80 1-4 0.200 125 164 4 L
Lufkin 0-2 0.000 21 84 3-2 0.600 123 136 2 L

Update on TJ Hammond today: Lufkin quarterback TJ Hammond is going through concussion protocol after a hit to the head in Week 5. His status for Week 7 is yet to be determined, Head Coach Todd Quick said.

“He’s gonna be all right,” Quick said. “He’s gonna be in the protocol for us, for concussion protocol. He felt good today, we just have to be careful. We have to be smart.”

Hammond has an extra week to heal up with a bye in Week 6.

https://www.ktre.com/2023/09/25/lufkin-quarterback-status-undetermined-after-week-5-head-injury/

On 9/23/2023 at 8:48 AM, timeout! said:

There’s a really good team under all the mess they having to fight through. Them boys showed me something last night. They almost knocked off Forney with Rb forced into playing Qb. Basically our 4th string Qb. And they held their own and never gave up. Our secondary is young, but I can see the potential in those guys. Waters, Timmons and Young can ball. Just need some more experience. 

Pretty simple to me...If Lufkin had its defensive starters and kept the QB in the game, they win. Lufkin should be in every game left that matters and big favorites in several.  Get healthy and they make the playoffs.

Have been listening to different podcast and news reports on last Friday's game with Forney.  It is apparent early on in almost every conversation, they knew the Lufkin QB went out early, none mention we were with out our starting nose tackle Zion Williams and one of our backup NT Kaleb Preston who is part of that rotation.  It left Elijah Alexander to play a bunch of minutes at NT. It's what most said at the end that caught my attention, by saying how Lufkin started 3-0 last year too, then lost big their first two district games last year, so it looks like a repeat of last year. 

That's what gets me about reporters and bloggers, they assume too much or they just don't have enough information to make that judgement.

This is not the same team as last year, and yes this team has started district the same as last year.  That is where the comparison stops, which in my opinion it's unfortunate that things look similar to last year.

Not taking anything away from Forney, however they were in a dog fight with Lufkin into the early part of the 4th quarter tied 21-21.  Lufkin playing with a back up quarterback, then the RB Young playing quarter back. The Panther D had worked on the Forney O all game, the Panthers O trying to make it with their running game. There is no doubt in my mind if T J had been healthy, Forney would have been really tested having to defend our passing game.  

Forney is not Longview, especially defensively ,and we will see this a week from next Friday. If a short handed Lufkin D can hold them to only 21 points into the 4th quarter, when they had been scoring 62 per game the previous 4 games?, what do you think Longview's D will do to them?

It's just unfortunate that we were not at full strength to play Forney, but we gave them what for with what we had. They sort of ran it up a little there at the end to make it look like they dominated the game. Forney knew how tough it was for them, they were aware we were holding out tough against them without our starting QB. They have mirrors in Forney, just like they do in Lufkin. They know.

That is why we are not the same as last year. This years team has more fight and no quit in them. They showed it in the AMC game too.  The toughest district games are behind them IMO, they will build off this experience the rest of the season. Got to be healthy though. There is no doubt the Lufkin D is the main glue of this team right now,  the offense has great potential, they need to find it. 

When Lufkin gets healthy. they will be just fine, although in defeat last Friday, those kids knew what they were up against and didn't quit, and who knows, with just a couple extra stops, maybe Lufkin survives to win, or at least make Forney wet their pants taking things down to the wire.  That's how close it came to turning out that way. The D got tired in the 4th and the O ran out of options in the end. Forney knew it wasn't easy. 

Forney is #10 in the State now, well deserved at 5-0, the only good team they played this year, did so short handed and they almost pulled the upset.  Enjoy the ranking while your there, it won't last much longer.

One thing I've noticed this year. Haven't been by to see practice but a couple times during the actual season. There use to be 10-15 vehicles out there watching the kids practice. First time out, there was one truck, last time there wasn't a single person there watching.  Think I hung around about 10 minutes, then eased on out of there.  Maybe I went by on off days??  May give it another go in a couple weeks.

On 9/24/2023 at 1:09 PM, Lennie said:

That was true I said the very same thing last season and got back lashed but now everyone see like ,59 Chevy wish we could see old thread from last season.when I started classification or talent. Green don't care he believes he is smarter than everyone else from my conversation with him and coach quick loyalty is putting him in a bad situation  enjoy reading the board probably the only good thing to me about football season.some great observation from members just wish it was something that someone could have done before we got to this point. Out of Hope 🙏🙏🙏🙏

Brother ,it's just like singing to the choir.  Year's ago I stated my disappointment in this staff and got  backlash. I became disgruntled  with Quick as a DC when Round Rock clean our clock running four or five plays over and over and he didn't adjust until the fourth quarter.

9 hours ago, kingwolf said:

Pretty simple to me...If Lufkin had its defensive starters and kept the QB in the game, they win. Lufkin should be in every game left that matters and big favorites in several.  Get healthy and they make the playoffs.

What are you smoking🤔 with this staff ,Green will find a way too mess it up....just sarcasm on the smoking part