2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Chad is the OL expert, he says it's the terrible footwork and technique they are taught.  Look everything that is happening is coached.  if it's not working by now or isn't fixed by this time of the season, it's coaching.  Yes, kids make mistakes, sometimes they are not in the right position, lined up a little off, that's coaching.  Getting PF penalties and TO are on the kids, but it's still coaching. Thought the kids gave it all they had last night until the brakes came off in the end and Forney had to roll up the score a bit. We could have left off the PF penalties. Regardless, proud of the players efforts last night, no quit at all in those kids, not like Green who tried roll up the sidewalks at the 4:15 mark of the 4th quarter, he thought Forney would run the clock out. Well, we found out Forney doesn't think like Green, and they rammed it in for another TD. That is the mentality that hovers over our program, when down big just run out the clock , take your loss and go to the house.  I call BS on that, it's part of the reason why we are where we are today as a program.  

You never read or hear anyone in the Lufkin news, KTRE or even Caleb Beams (who works at LISD now), ever call this bunch out,  because they are scared of the Lufkin ISD.  LDN lets Carl Kiel do the talking in the opinion column to keep their hands clean of the matter.

HEY!!!! We just got beat 42-0 and 42-21 back to back, are we not suppose to feel anything?

Let the Longhorns, Aggies or Cowboys lose back to back by those same scores and see what happens with the fan base and Alumni. Let those same coaches miss the playoffs or a bowl game back to back and see what happens.  This Lufkin administration hasn't flinched about this situation in a very long time, that tells us everything we need to know.

Im def no expert but i can recognized learned behavior vs just being bad. Our first problem is we dont have a true offensive identity. Our greatest offensive asset is Young. But we dont build the offense around him. We just throw him into the situation and let him work it out. Our entire offense should literally be built around him. That means aggressive line play. Point of contact matters. When the initial point of contact is made on your side of the LOS you lose. Line play for lufkin is is 100% reactive instead of proactive. Its just really sloppy play. And it has been that way. You need to decide if your run first or are you pass first? You cannot be succesfull without an identity and the line cannot be what they need to be. Without knowing who they are and what they are going to do. Next game, first offensive possession. Just watch the line of scrimmage. Thats where you win and lose. And we doing alot of losing there

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic Homecoming game - getting routed by Forney - who may be the second best team in district.  Who cares - Lufkin is an absolute nobody program right now - probably not a top 50 program at the 5a level - it wasnt that long ago we were a top 10 program at 6a.  Unbelievable. 

The 45 yards of PF's  - still continuing 5 weeks into the season says it all.  I don't think we got 3 total under Coach O.  Let everyone who has gotten one run 15 windsprints a day every day during the Bye week.  

Just saying, if Forney could have tacked on another score or two, they would have done it and never thought twice about it. 

Some people think differently about that, I don't, it's winning and momentum building when you can get it.  Your allowing you backups to score and learn to win. Aledo beat Saginaw 70-0 last night, they do that stuff every year when they can, and have 11 titles and played for 2 more to show for it. 

Me, I have no problem with doing that, if it helps with building a winning culture. Aledo probably gets their #12 title in 14 appearances this year. 

Enjoy the runs when you have the opportunity, for when it's gone it's gone.

Just ask Converse Judson, Odessa Permian, LaMarque, Plano, Abilene and even Southlake Carroll. SLC hasn't been in a championship game since 2011.

We were fortunate to have John Outlaw here as coach. For what happen for Lufkin football under his leadership had never happened before, and has not happened again since his time here. Only memories of what use to be are left and they are getting very distant..

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just saying, if Forney could have tacked on another score or two, they would have done it and never thought twice about it. 

Some people think differently about that, I don't, it's winning and momentum when you can get it.  Aledo beat Saginaw 70-0 last night, they do that stuff every year when thay can, and have 11 titles and played for 2 more. 

Me, I have no problem with doing that, if it helps with building a winning culture. Aledo probably gets #10 in 12 appearances this year.

Enjoy the runs when you have the opportunity, for when it's gone it's gone.

Just ask Converse Judson, Odessa Permian, LaMarque, Plano, Abilene and even Southlake Carroll. 

We were fortunate to have John Outlaw here. For what happen for Lufkin foitball with him as coach had never happened before, and has not happend again since his time here. Only memories of what use to be.

Well said.  Apparently Aledo led that game 63-0 in the 2nd quarter - according to the Dave Campbell site - which is where I get my scores.  If true, that's hard to do - scoring 9 TD's in less than 2 quarters.  I'm almost curious to go read the stats somewhere.  I think we had 50+ at half time against Oak Ridge way back when.   

Next week is off week. I've got a ton of stuff to do next week, and I just can't get too caught up in what goes on with the Panther football program. Can't do anything about things going down, just talk about what goes on there and a lot of repeat discussions, it become wasted time for me. 

The team has some key injuries, we need to make sure the kids will be okay and hopefully return well and can help the team again. That is a top priority. We've heard about how more talent will equal winning ways and some playoff success again this year. Then it seems reality hits again, and we realize we're dealing with some of the same problems that happen every year, with a different cast of players. Still fixing problems at mid season????

As the Righteous Brothers song says, "I've lost that loving feeling" whoa whoa whoa ;).   it's rough as a Panther football fan these days.  

We all know how I feel about the staff. And have for a very long time. This is all I was trying to say before the season started. I will say, something clicked with me watching the game. It was one of the first times I’ve personally just looked at the kids and felt sad for them. They are a talented bunch and were playing their a$$es off last night. They just have no direction, no identity, and are being drug down by the very guys that are supposed to be leading them. Our staff is like an anchor for these kids. I feel so bad for them. Kedren especially. I’m so thankful he plays for Lufkin but he deserves so much better. Heck, they all do. 

37 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

We all know how I feel about the staff. And have for a very long time. This is all I was trying to say before the season started. I will say, something clicked with me watching the game. It was one of the first times I’ve personally just looked at the kids and felt sad for them. They are a talented bunch and were playing their a$$es off last night. They just have no direction, no identity, and are being drug down by the very guys that are supposed to be leading them. Our staff is like an anchor for these kids. I feel so bad for them. Kedren especially. I’m so thankful he plays for Lufkin but he deserves so much better. Heck, they all do. 

Glad to see you post this, thoughtful.

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Hope y'all have a better experience than we did up at Lancaster.

They wouldn't let our freshmen squad use the locker rooms, told our boys to just get changed on the buses.

The lights there are as dark as you could possibly imagine. Not to mention how far you are from the actual field.

They refused to turn the score for us on during the game, despite the scoreboard actually working (worked during the freshmen game).

Refs were some of the worst I've seen in years. Finding any possible way to help Lancaster they could.

If y'all can get healthy, y'all have a chance to beat anyone left in district, including LT.

Lufkin has no chance of beating some of those teams left, we don't have the coaching abilities to achieve  that goal

2 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I totally agree with you 100% about Green. And we all know Lufkin won't win out, that's just the facts 😪

If I were a betting man, and I'm not. The real mathimatical chances with us starting the district at 0-2 sits at 50/50 to finish in 3rd or 4th place. We may be able to endure one more loss based on how some of our opponents district games will turn out, even then the chances become slim for 4th. Destiny is in the Panthers hands. If the team wins out, they will most likely finish 3rd.  Forney has the tie breaker now. Lufkin has already played the best two teams in district, others will need to play them too. Lufkin can only take care of Lufkin.

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

If I were a betting man, and I'm not. The real mathimatical chances with us starting the district at 0-2 sits at 50/50 to finish in 3rd or 4th place. We may be able to endure one more loss based on how some of our opponents district games will turn out, even then the chances become slim for 4th. Destiny is in the Panthers hands. If the team wins out, they will most likely finish 3rd.  Forney has the tie breaker now. Lufkin has already played the best two teams in district, others will need to play them too. Lufkin can only take care of Lufkin.

I agree we got the two hardest games off the schedule. Lufkin showed they're capable of playing with higher caliber teams like Forney even short handed but cannot  with the upper echelon of the elites like Longview and Aledo. Not sure anyone else in 5A is in that class. The rest of the schedule really is manageable. We will be 4-2 going into the pivotal McNorth game. That game will decide the season. Good thing is none of these teams left really play defense. We faired really well most of the night against one of the elite offenses in 5A. I'm not completely ready to throw the towel in yet. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Who knows. Say we win out and finish 8-2. That could be enough momentum to get us a playoff win or two. I mean, it was two top 10 teams with one of them being top 5 😏 

Just think about the 2009 Klein Bearkats 

Get y'all Qb's healthy and I can see 8-2 happening...

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I agree we got the two hardest games off the schedule. Lufkin showed they're capable of playing with higher caliber teams like Forney even short handed but cannot  with the upper echelon of the elites like Longview and Aledo. Not sure anyone else in 5A is in that class. The rest of the schedule really is manageable. We will be 4-2 going into the pivotal McNorth game. That game will decide the season. Good thing is none of these teams left really play defense. We faired really well most of the night against one of the elite offenses in 5A. I'm not completely ready to throw the towel in yet. 

I'm definately not throwing in the towel, it's just starting 0-2 changes the dynamics. If the Pack were 1-1, then the road is a little less pressured. Lancaster is in the same boat with us at 0-2. Still 5 games to go.

You know everyone has their favorite player they watch on the teams they watch. The Panthers are no different for me.  Most would probably say Kedren Young, well, I watch him closely and realize he is one of the best RB to ever play at Lufkin, wish he had better blocking.  My favorite Pack player is probably Isaiah Menefee, mainly because I like to watch good defensive play, and that young man has been playing at a high level for two years now.  He was all over the field last Friday, he's in the top two in team tackles this year, he led the team last year.   

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

You know everyone has their favorite player they watch on the teams they watch. The Panthers are no different for me.  Most would probably say Kedren Young, well, I watch him closely and realize he is one of the best RB to ever play at Lufkin, wish he had better blocking.  My favorite Pack player is probably Isaiah Menefee, mainly because  I  like to watch good defensive play, and that young man has been playing at a high level for two years now.  He was all over the field last Friday, he's in the top two in team tackles this year, he led the team last year.   

Menefee is him. I like watching the D-line. When those guys get you, you’re gonna feel it. 

7 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Okay so what's going to change for them to achieve that goal ?? O-line going too play better, TJ going to make better decision, Green going change his play calling , Whats' going too change ,because if they keep doing the same things they will get the same results ! I'm not throwing in the towel just yet either, but it's in my hand

13 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

Okay so what's going to change for them to achieve that goal ?? O-line going too play better, TJ going to make better decision, Green going change his play calling , Whats' going too change ,because if they keep doing the same things they will get the same results ! I'm not throwing in the towel just yet either, but it's in my hand

I've not said much about TJ this year, others have their opinions.  While his numbers may not pop out at you, he has managed the game and has not turned the ball over, these are his stats through 4 full games. Unfortunately he was hurt on the 2nd play of the game last Friday.

T J Hammond -  45 - 79 - 770 yards - 17.1 yd avg -  56.7% -  65 long -  6 TD - 2 INT - 192.5 avg yds per game.

Just wonder what folks want of T J, do they want him to be a Kordell Rogers, Tyler Stubblefield or Jordan Moore type QB?  He just needs to manage what is in front of him, and get the ball in all his playmakers hands. He can do that if Green will allow him to do so, and make the proper play calls.  What changes? well I feel the same way about coaches as I do about players. First, they need to want to be winners, whatever it takes, second they are willing to do whatever is necessary to be successful. If either of those things are lacking, they (player or coach) should maybe find something else to do. Just saying. 

12 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I've not said much about TJ this year, others have their opinions.  While his numbers may not pop out at you, he has managed the game and has not turned the ball over, these are his stats through 4 full games. Unfortunately he was hurt on the 2nd play of the game last Friday.

T J Hammond -  45 - 79 - 770 yards - 17.1 yd avg -  56.7% -  65 long -  6 TD - 2 INT - 192.5 avg yds per game.

What were his stats against Longview? Genuinely curious. I didn’t watch that game nor did I read up much about it. It was one of those I had no interest in if you know what I mean lol 

15 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

What were his stats against Longview? Genuinely curious. I didn’t watch that game nor did I read up much about it. It was one of those I had no interest in if you know what I mean lol 

T J was 8-16 for 95 yards.  Young had 98 yards on 39 carries. 

Longview's Tutt was 5-9 for 148 yards as a comparison. Tatum had 87 yards on 18 carrys.

2 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

I think the caliber of team. Tyler is a little better then Tyler Legacy and McNorth and Lancaster are probably a notch above Tyler but not by much. I think it's as simple as that. There isn't a team left on our schedule that's as good as Longview or Forney. I'd be willing to bet any team in the district would be 0-2 with those two out the gate. That's why I'm not going to overreact until we lose to McNorth or Tyler that's when I'll start to grab the towel.