2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Defensively we just seemed off on alignment. We got absolutely gashed on the run. I know we're missing 2 starters tonight but it shouldn't had been that bad. The rest of these games are now must wins. We can afford to lose one more statically but that's it. Going to have to win 2 of 3 between Tyler, McNorth and Lancaster. Mesquite schools will be a feel good game.

Quick is going to say they are mathematically still in it, but for all practical purposes Lufkin will have to win out now, there is zero room for error unless there are some unexpected upsets. Whew.. I don't think it would have made much difference at all if TJ had played the whole game, because all Green wants to do is give it Kedren and throw it to Murphy, and if that ain't happening, then it's hit and miss with the other two RB.  Taylor made a great catch and run for a TD.  I feel sorry for DC Soderquist trying to stay in the game with his D when the offense has trouble sustaining drive, tonight was even more difficult without a verified QB.  Let me remind you we had 21 tonight, 0 last week and 24 against AMC, and we had TJ at QB those two before tonight.  By the way hope TJ is okay.  So anyway, we have not been exactly burning up the end zone. Taylor and Preston need more touches, where in the heck was Keandre Hooper, you see we have much more talent to use than two people, and that's what we get 80% of the time.  

It's tough when your starting QB goes out, then your back up goes out twice, then your possible 3rd is not even playing for a while, and you end up with your 4th choice, your best RB at QB. Kind of like WR Ralph Thomas having to play QB against Southlake in 2005. Thought Young did as well as he could have done under the circumstances. Thumbs up to him.

Forney is a really good team, we needed everyone healthy just to have a chance, we were 16 point underdogs at home. Forney covered that, but they didn't get the 62 they were averaging, and they gave up 21 points when they had only given up 10 all year. Lufkin tried to give them a run. it was 21-21 in the 4th quarter. In two weeks, Longview will go to Forney and whip their tails.

If we get healthy and Green wants to use all that talent in his game plan, then there is a chance to win out after the break. This should not just be about Young getting a rushing record. Playing Tyler on the road becomes a huge game now. McNorth at Lufkin, I'm happy it's at Lufkin.  West Mesquite and North Mesquite should be wins. Lancaster is up in the air, they are just like us now, 0-2. 

Here's to the off week, to get well, get everyone involved , and maybe learn to keep our mouth shut and just play football. Not real happy, but you can't control injuries and you do the best you can. Thought the D made some big plays tonight, they also gave up just as many to Forney.  Forney is good, they are better than Lufkin, which they proved tonight, but Lufkin should be so much better too. I'm ready for a new direction.

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Quick is going to say they are mathematically still in it, but for all practical purposes Lufkin will have to win out now, there is zero room for error unless there are some unexpected upsets. Whew.. I don't think it would have made any difference at all if TJ had played the whole game, because all Green wants to do is give it Kedren and throw it to Murphy, and if that ain't happening, then it's hit and miss with the other two RB.  Taylor made a great catch and run for a TD.  I feel sorry for DC Soderquist trying to stay in the game with his D when the offense has trouble sustaining drive, tonight was even more difficult without a verified QB.  Let me remind you we had 21 tonight, 0 last week and 24 against AMC, and we had TJ at QB. So we have not been burning up the end zone. Taylor and Preston need more touches, where in the heck was Keandre Hooper, you see we have much more talent to use than two people, and that's what we get 80% of the time.  

It's tough when your starting QB goes out, then your back up goes out twice, then your possible 3rd is not even playing for a while, and you end up with your 4th choice, your best RB at QB. Kind of like WR Ralph Thomas having to play QB against Southlake in 2005. Thought Young did as well as he could have done under the circumstances. Thumbs up to him.

Forney is a really good team, we needed everyone healthy just to have a chance, we were 16 point underdogs at home. Forney covered that, but they didn't get the 62 they were averaging, and they gave up 21 points when they had only given up 10 all year. Lufkin tried to give them a run. it was 21-21 in the 4th quarter. In two weeks, Longview will go to Forney and whip their tails.

If we get healthy and Green wants to use all that talent in his game plan, then there is a chance to win out after the break. This should not just be about Young getting a rushing record. Playing Tyler on the road becomes a huge game now. McNorth at Lufkin, I'm happy it's at Lufkin.  West Mesquite and North Mesquite should be wins. Lancaster is up in the air, they are just like us now, 0-2. 

Here's to the off week, to get well, get everyone involved , and maybe learn to keep our mouth shut and just play football. Not real happy, but you can't control injuries and you do the best you can. Thought the D made some big plays tonight, they also gave up just as many to Forney.  Forney is good, they are better than Lufkin, which they proved tonight, but we could be so much better. I'm ready for a new direction.

Scott needs to turn in his play book and go back to 6th grade PE.

4 hours ago, LTown said:

Our O-Line is bad as it gets and our LB play hasn't been good either 

Our Oline will not improve. Until we have someone else teaching them. The kids have poor technique. You can mask alot of things with footwork and good technique. Unfortunately we have none of that. Thank god for  Kedren. I cant imagine what that kid could do with competent line play. 

The Forney Jackrabbits spent the first four weeks of the season overwhelming the competition. Playing against a short handed and strong willed Lufkin Panthers squad, they showed they had enough to outlast opponents as well.

Sophomore running back Javian Osborne ran for 254 yards and 3 touchdowns. and Kyle Crawford threw for 164 yards and 2 scores and ran for another as Forney stayed perfect with a 42-21 win over the Panthers on homecoming night on John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium Friday.

Lufkin started the game playing without its best defensive player, Zion Williams, and finished the night without their top two quarterbacks. Despite those losses, the Panthers tied the game on the first play of the fourth quarter before Forney finally imposed its will.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/jackrabbits-outlast-panthers-42-21/article_a17588b7-d92f-57fa-a725-3ede36cd7d3c.html

“Under the circumstances with no quarterback, the guys pulled together and gave themselves a chance to win early in the fourth quarter,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “it’s not the outcome you wanted. Not even close. But I’m proud of the way they worked together tonight.”

Lufkin lost starting QB T.J. Hammond on the second play of the game and backup Javion Johnson left early in the third quarter. He eventually saw the field for a few more snaps, although the Panthers gave the ball to standout running back Kedren Young.

While playing quarterback, he led a game-tying touchdown drive and finished with 118 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 34 carries. He also threw for 36 yards on 3-of-6 passing with an interception.

But a talented Forney team eventually forced a game-changing interception and dominated down the stretch for the win.

“Kedren’s a leader of men,” Quick said. “When our second quarterback went down, we didn’t have any option. He hasn’t played there since he was a sophomore but didn’t hesitate to step in. I’ll tell you he’s a special player.”

Lufkin’s Brayden Walker provided an early jolt with a 40-yard kick return on the opening play of the night before the drive stalled.

Forney immediately went to work with a 7-play, 65-yard drive that culminated with a Javian Osborne 5-yard touchdown for a 7-0 lead. Osborne had 46 yards on 5 carries on the drive.

Lufkin was stalled through much of the first half before the defense provided the first big play of the game by recovering a fumble at the Forney 46.

The Panthers worked the ball deep into Forney territory with Javion Jackson converting a fourth-down run.

Wide receiver Ke’Vondrick Taylor lined up in the backfield and got the carry for a 5-yard touchdown run that tied it at 7-7 with 8:03 left in the second quarter.

Forney had an immediate answer with Kyle Crawford hitting Alijah Merkson for a 43-yard screen pass before connecting with a wide-open Orin Gee for a 20-yard touchdown strike that made it 14-7 with 6:07 left in the half.

Forney was poised to take a two-score lead when a shanked punt gave it outstanding field position.

However, Lufkin’s defense forced a three and out to give the ball back to the offense.

The Panthers only took two plays to get on the scoreboard for the second time.

Johnson was pressured on a play, and he faked a pass before hitting Taylor, who was behind the Forney defense. He did the work from there, cutting across the field for a 79-yard score that tied it at 14-14 with 3:09 left in the half.

Forney once again didn’t take long to answer with Osborne breaking a tackle at the line of scrimmage and sprinting 55 yards for a touchdown for Forney’s third lead of the first half at 21-14.

A big Young run put Lufkin in position to tie it once again before Forney’s Caden Sanders recovered a fumble that kept the game at 21-14 at halftime.

Forney outgained Lufkin 235-148 in the first half with Osborne running for 129 yards and a pair of scores on 11 carries. Crawford threw for 104 yards and a touchdown on 8-of-15 passing before the break.

Lufkin’s starting QB Hammond left the game after taking a hard hit in the first quarter and didn’t return with the sophomore Johnson taking over from there.

He completed 3-of-8 passes in the first half for 76 yards and a touchdown while Young ran for 66 yards on 14 carries.

Taylor scored both Lufkin touchdowns while only touching the ball three times.

The adversity hit for Lufkin early in the fourth quarter when backup QB Johnson had to leave the game while battling cramps

Lufkin fought to stay in the game throughout the second half with Keshawn Waters coming up with an outstanding interception that kept the Panthers in the game.

However, backup QB Johnson left the game for the second time while battling cramps.

Lufkin elected to go to Young at quarterback for the majority of the final two quarters.

The strategy paid off when Young scored on a 7-yard touchdown on a quarterback option that made it 21-21 after the first play of the fourth quarter.

However, a team that hadn’t been forced to play meaningful plays late in the first four games made all the plays down the stretch.

After a long kickoff return, Kyle Crawford hit Ben Perin for a 22-yard touchdown pass that finally gave the Jackrabbits the lead for good, making it 28-21 with 11:31 left.

That was followed by an Aaron Flowers interception that set up a Crawford 4-yard touchdown run, making it 35-21 midway through the fourth quarter.

Osborne added one final touchdown to his ledger, this time going untouched for a 63-yard touchdown run that made it 42-21.

Lufkin (3-2, 0-2) is off Friday night before playing at North Mesquite Oct. 6. Forney improved to 5-0 overall and 2-0 in district with the win.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Really want to give out some high fives to a few players,  thought Isaiah Menefee, Kaden Hooper and Elijah Alexander had exceptional nights on defense. Soph Keshawn Waters made a one handed INT that stopped a Forney TD drive. Soph LB Desmond Hood had a good game too and probably should have played more right side DE. Maybe I missed a couple others. 

On offense we know what Kedren Young can do and he stepped in where they needed him last night and did the best he could do. Thought Baquari Murphy and Chinn did their part well. I want to compliment Soph QB Javion Johnson for stepping into a tough situation before the leg cramps got him. He came back in twice and tried to go, but couldn't shake those cramps, most never do.  Been there and done that in my life.  He probably did not come into this game expecting to play much. He is raw and young, and I can see his QB potential. Get that pass timing down and Javion has a chance to be good.  He certainly gave a new look to the option.  Green needs to prepare his backups equal to the starters, just for occasions like this game.  Anyway, Johnson is another guy who stepped in and gave it the best he had been prepared to offer.

KeVondrick Taylor is a wasted talent, so is Krisean Preston and Keandre Hooper. You have to get the ball in those guys hands in whatever method it takes. A good coordinator would have already figured that out. There are so many ways to do that, I'm thinking of 4 or 5 ways while writing this. Many things I don't understand. Did you see that run Taylor made for the TD when he actually got a chance? In fact he had a 5 yd rushing TD too.  That's what I'm talking about. More of it, because everyone is keying on Young.

The OL, the OL, the OL?? What to say here, I'm not, because Chad has already said it, and he is right. I agree.

Like I said last night, Lufkin came into that game with some key injuries, and had two more during the game. Everyone needed to be healthy and play their best game of the year to win against this Forney team. Even if T J had played the whole game, not sure the difference.  Green came in wanting to run the ball, control the clock and play keep away from Forney.  That didn't change much when T J went out, it looked about the same with JJ, and that continued to Kedren playing QB. When was the last time we had a great OL in Lufkin??? Someone?  Anyone?  I can't remember, maybe 2014 or 2015 ?? 2017?

You have to admire Forney, they never game up running that WR bubble or screen or whatever.  Lufkin stopped it a number of times, but Forney kept running it, they knew they would break one or two eventually and they did. Forney has some athletes, they are long and tall and well coached. Soph Javian Osborne out performed Kedren Young with 254 yards rushing against Lufkin. The dude has a bright future running behind that OL. 

Got my coffee early this morning, day after a loss is tough, this one wasn't because I didn't expect different.  It's sad we don't know how to win big games anymore, even in our own stadium. More on that after my second cup.

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

District 7-5A DI scores:

McKinney North 31  Tyler 26  Thursday night

Forney 42  Lufkin  21

Longview 52  Lancaster  35

West Mesquite 27  North Mesquite  16

Hope y'all have a better experience than we did up at Lancaster.

They wouldn't let our freshmen squad use the locker rooms, told our boys to just get changed on the buses.

The lights there are as dark as you could possibly imagine. Not to mention how far you are from the actual field.

They refused to turn the score for us on during the game, despite the scoreboard actually working (worked during the freshmen game).

Refs were some of the worst I've seen in years. Finding any possible way to help Lancaster they could.

If y'all can get healthy, y'all have a chance to beat anyone left in district, including LT.

19 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Really want to give out some high fives to a few players,  thought Isaiah Menefee, Kaden Hooper and Elijah Alexander had exceptional nights on defense. Soph Keshawn Waters made a one handed INT that stopped a Forney TD drive. Soph LB Desmond Hood had a good game too and probably should have played more right side DE. Maybe I missed a couple others. 

On offense we know what Kedren Young can do and he stepped in where they needed him last night and did the best he could do. I want to compliment Soph QB Javion Johnson for stepping into a tough situation before the leg cramps got him. He came back in twice and tried to go, but couldn't shake those cramps, most never do.  Been there and done that in my life.  He probably did not come into this game expecting to play much. He is raw and young, and I can see his QB potential. Get that pass timing down and Javion has a chance to be good.  He certainly gave a new look to the option.  Green needs to prepare his backups equal to the starters, just for occasions like this game.  Anyway, Johnson is another guy who stepped in and gave it the best he had been prepared to offer.

KeVondrick Taylor is a wasted talent, so is Krisean Preston and Keandre Hooper. You have to get the ball in those guys hands in whatever method it takes. A good coordinator would have already figured that out. There are so many ways to do that, I'm thinking of 4 or 5 ways while writing this. Many things I don't understand. Did you see that run Taylor made for the TD when he actually got a chance? In fact he had a 5 yd rushing TD too.  That's what I'm talking about. More of it, because everyone is keying on Young.

The OL, the OL, the OL?? What to say here, I'm not, because Chad has already said it, and he is right. I agree.

Like I said last night, Lufkin came into that game with some key injuries, and had two more during the game. Everyone needed to be healthy and play their best game of the year to win against this Forney team. Even if T J had played the whole game, not sure the difference.  Green came in wanting to run the ball, control the clock and play keep away from Forney.  That didn't change much when T J went out, it looked about the same with JJ, and that continued to Kedren playing QB. When was the last time we had a great OL in Lufkin??? Someone?  Anyone?  I can't remember, maybe 2014 or 2015 ?? 2017?

You have to admire Forney, they never game up running that WR bubble or screen or whatever.  Lufkin stopped it a number of times, but Forney kept running it, they knew they would break one or two eventually and they did. Forney has some athletes, they are long and tall and well coached. Soph Javian Osborne out performed Kedren Young with 254 yards rushing against Lufkin. The dude has a bright future running behind that OL. 

Got my coffee early this morning, day after a loss is tough, this one wasn't because I didn't expect different.  It's sad we don't know how to win big games anymore, even in our own stadium. More on that after my second cup.

Our coaches are just bad at their jobs. They have kids on the sidelines that could help. They have kids playing out of position. All around pathetic. I hope these guys find new jobs in the off season.

So Kevondrick Taylor only had 3 touches the whole game. One of your most explosive players and that’s all he got? I’m with you PA..I don’t understand the focus on Murphy. He’s a good player, but we have several other guys that can carry the load. Kinda reminds of last year and them forcing the ball to O’Hart. Preston is your biggest receiver and you hardly  throw his way. Some of these guys are being wasted here in Lufkin.

I would also scrap the 3-4 and go back to 4 down linemen. Put Zion and Alexander#73 in the middle and watch them wreck havoc. I know it’s nice to have someone like Alexander coming in to spell him and not have much of a drop off. I say plug him in and figure out way to give them a breather as the season goes. 

There’s a really good team under all the mess they having to fight through. Them boys showed me something last night. They almost knocked off Forney with Rb forced into playing Qb. Basically our 4th string Qb. And they held their own and never gave up. Our secondary is young, but I can see the potential in those guys. Waters, Timmons and Young can ball. Just need some more experience. 

25 minutes ago, timeout! said:

So Kevondrick Taylor only had 3 touches the whole game. One of your most explosive players and that’s all he got? I’m with you PA..I don’t understand the focus on Murphy. He’s a good player, but we have several other guys that can carry the load. Kinda reminds of last year and them forcing the ball to O’Hart. Preston is your biggest receiver and you hardly  throw his way. Some of these guys are being wasted here in Lufkin.

I would also scrap the 3-4 and go back to 4 down linemen. Put Zion and Alexander#73 in the middle and watch them wreck havoc. I know it’s nice to have someone like Alexander coming in to spell him and not have much of a drop off. I say plug him in and figure out way to give them a breather as the season goes. 

It's a clown show. We're throwing jump balls to a 5'6 WR. Kevo is also getting jobbed. I don't know what they're doing with Preston but it doesn't make any sense. I don't have a problem with the 3-4 because of depth at DL but at least have the right kids in the right position. Menefee needs to go back to FS and stabilize the back end. They have kids on the sidelines that could also be helping out on defense but they're showing Favoritism to other kids even when they've been out performed during the spring, scrimmage and practice. 

The Oline is dooming the team right now. It’s a coaching issue. I 100% believe the kids are doing what they are coached. But there is no drive off the line on run plays. Someone is almost always coming free. On pass plays QBs are scared because they know there isn’t time to let the routes develop on most plays. Which keeps the ball out of the hands of those receivers. 

My question to those in the know is how do we have the size but our kids can’t form holes or move the line of scrimmage on run plays?

14 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

It's a clown show. We're throwing jump balls to a 5'6 WR. Kevo is also getting jobbed. I don't know what they're doing with Preston but it doesn't make any sense. I don't have a problem with the 3-4 because of depth at DL but at least have the right kids in the right position. Menefee needs to go back to FS and stabilize the back end. They have kids on the sidelines that could also be helping out on defense but they're showing Favoritism to other kids even when they've been out performed during the spring, scrimmage and practice. 

I was thinking the same about Menefee last night. He has the experience and can help calm them down on the back end. Especially when it comes to making sure everyone is where they suppose to be. We having too many busted coverages.

36 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

The Oline is dooming the team right now. It’s a coaching issue. I 100% believe the kids are doing what they are coached. But there is no drive off the line on run plays. Someone is almost always coming free. On pass plays QBs are scared because they know there isn’t time to let the routes develop on most plays. Which keeps the ball out of the hands of those receivers. 

My question to those in the know is how do we have the size but our kids can’t form holes or move the line of scrimmage on run plays?

Chad is the OL expert, he says it's the terrible footwork and technique they are taught.  Look everything that is happening is coached.  if it's not working by now or isn't fixed by this time of the season, it's coaching.  Yes, kids make mistakes, sometimes they are not in the right position, lined up a little off, that's coaching.  Getting PF penalties and TO are on the kids, but it's still coaching. Thought the kids gave it all they had last night until the brakes came off in the end and Forney had to roll up the score a bit. We could have left off the PF penalties. Regardless, proud of the players efforts last night, no quit at all in those kids, not like Green who tried roll up the sidewalks at the 4:15 mark of the 4th quarter, he thought Forney would run the clock out. Well, we found out Forney doesn't think like Green, and they rammed it in for another TD. That is the mentality that hovers over our program, when down big just run out the clock , take your loss and go to the house.  I call BS on that, it's part of the reason why we are where we are today as a program.  

You never read or hear anyone in the Lufkin news, KTRE or even Caleb Beams (who works at LISD now), ever call this bunch out,  because they are scared of the Lufkin ISD.  LDN lets Carl Kiel do the talking in the opinion column to keep their hands clean of the matter.

HEY!!!! We just got beat 42-0 and 42-21 back to back, are we not suppose to feel anything?

Let the Longhorns, Aggies or Cowboys lose back to back by those same scores and see what happens with the fan base and Alumni. Let those same coaches miss the playoffs or a bowl game back to back and see what happens.  This Lufkin administration hasn't flinched about this situation in a very long time, that tells us everything we need to know.

3 minutes ago, Webleedpurple said:

If we miss the playoffs 3 years in a row.....

I have no idea,  You would need to asked the Superintendent or the school board about how they feel losing with so much talent at hand.

47 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

That's always bothered me to no end. Why wouldn't coaches play the very best players on the team or in their best positions needed to give the program the best chance to win and get their full potential.  It makes no sense at all to me.  I look at Tyler playing a bunch of freshmen and sophomores and they are winning, because they are the best guys they have. Smart coaching.  

8 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

If they miss the playoffs this year. With the lack of development I’ve seen. It’s going to be a while till Lufkin sees the playoffs again. 

Well, I thought next year was to be the special year.  I really can't envision anything right now from these coaches, we had such great expectation this year and now things are headed down the road just like last year.  Still can't beat good teams. I've totally given up and lost trust in their ability to win here.

When was the last time we beat a really good team?  Spring Westfield 2017, or College Station 2018 or 2019?

I know one thing, the Panther teams of 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 and maybe even 2017 or 2018 would probably have taken that Forney team out.  That's where we have landed as a program.

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

That's always bothered me to no end. Why wouldn't coaches play the very best players on the team or in their best positions needed to give the program the best chance to win and get their full potential.  It makes no sense at all to me.  I look at Tyler playing a bunch of freshmen and sophomores and they are winning, because they are the best guys they have. Smart coaching.  

Something some of us were asking for a couple of years ago. Not saying we needed the entire squad on varsity. But there were a few who could’ve got some playing time as freshmen. Especially considering how bad our team was at the time. 

I want to ask. Anyone here happy about the last two games?   I mean we played hard, the kids gave it all they had, really proud of the kids.  Listen to me, I'm doing it.

I SMH when someone mentions to me a moral victory under the circumstances, what is a  moral victory?  Did we win or did we lose?  That's all I ever see.  We played them close for a while they say. Is that a moral victory?  I have always heard the term, I don't understand something that is trying to find a satisfying positive in a loss. So, forgive me if I pass on the thought.

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I want to ask. Anyone here happy about the last two games?   I mean we played hard, the kids gave it all they had, really proud of the kids.  Listen to me, I'm doing it.

I SMH when someone mentions to me a moral victory under the circumstances, what is a  moral victory?  Did we win or did we lose?  That's all I ever see.  We played them close for a while they say. Is that a moral victory?  I have always heard the term, I don't understand something that is trying to find a satisfying positive in a loss. So, forgive me if I pass on the thought.

In 3 weeks will know exactly our fate. It's McKinney North here at Abe. That will be the season. Although we could still beat Tyler and Lancaster to get in technically but that's when I'd thow the towel in.