2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

2 hours ago, mr. b said:

Probably would get us locked out again 

To be fair he did make that decision based on someone else saying that it was getting bad and he should. Once he got back and saw it was really nothing he unlocked the topic. This board has seen a lot worse. At the end of the day Longview has to win another what 4 games to match or pass our streak lol. Glass half full.

I don't know if we will ever have a 28-0 Longview halftime playoff level board meltdown again 😂 that was probably the low point. Could you imagine this board during the 92 season. We thought 4-6 was a blood bath lol. Expectations probably wasn't the same. We lived through the best era of Lufkin football hands down. I just realized this is probably how Nebraska fans feel.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, LPPACK said:

Forney by 40. They havent changed one dang thing,not one on special teams.How in the heck can you compete when we dont have a special team coach.Got my tickets in hand,even the spectators are going thru the motion. PA can you name the asst coaches,and what they coach, not one person i sit by,knew who they were except Cook,Quick,Green, and Simmons. Anyway we can move to 4A?

Sterling Myers is the kicking coach. I have no idea who handles special teams.  Checked a current program and there is not a designated Special Teams coach listed.

DCTF/Pigskin Prep Comprehensive THF Football Computer Rankings: Week 5 - 7-5A DI

#3 - Longview  (3-1)

#10 - Forney (4-0)

#18 - Lancaster (1-3)

#22 - McKinney North (3-1)

#39 - Tyler (4-0)

#45 - Lufkin (3-1)

#80 - West Mesquite (2-2)

#84 - North Mesquite (1-3)

FYI - #1  Aledo (4-0), #2  Smithson Valley (3-1)

A&M Consolidated (2-1) - #38

44 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Forney deep dive is over. They're  much better then last season. We will have our hands full for sure. 

Time to buckle up. I haven’t had a chance to watch a full game. Saw parts of the Crandall game and didn’t see anything that concerned me at the time. But it was a condensed replay and some things have changed for Lufkin since then. Number 0 did flash watching them. He’s all over the field. Will be interesting to see how we match up. 

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

Time to buckle up. I haven’t had a chance to watch a full game. Saw parts of the Crandall game and didn’t see anything that concerned me at the time. But it was a condensed replay and some things have changed for Lufkin since then. Number 0 did flash watching them. He’s all over the field. Will be interesting to see how we match up. 

They're pretty good. I think we can stop the run game. They have a sophomore RB#26 that can go. #10 is the main target at WR he's going to Navy he's good. They will use 2 QB's #7 and #3. They both can run and pass but #3 is supposed to be the better runner. Both are more then capable. They really like that slant off the rpo look. Offense has some creativity. Defensively they looked better then I thought. They play aggressive #1 at FS is committed to Oregon and I think #0 is the LB that transferred in I believe. High 4 star kid. They're good team. We're going to have to play well or it's going to get bad.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

McKinney North  31   Tyler 26  Final

Tyler came roaring back from 31-7 in the 3rd quarter. The Lions are the real deal.

I said the same this summer when they hired a new staff. Some doubted it would make a difference, but I always felt they just needed a fresh voice and set of eyes. I still feel they will flip a couple of those games they lost last year. 

10 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I said the same this summer when they hired a new staff. Some doubted it would make a different, but I always felt they just needed a fresh voice and set of eyes. I still feel they will flip a couple of those games they lost last year. 

I think that staff has a plan. It’s going to be a dog fight in Tyler 

32 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Lufkin really has an opportunity to silence some folks tonight. My dumb self included. 

Sorry, jumped the gun being silenced in the opposite direction last week!  

Lufkin Planning On Bouncing Back Tonight

Not many teams in the state will start district action with the same caliber of competition the Lufkin Panthers will see in the first two weeks. After getting off to a rough start against the No. 2 Longview Lobos, another significant test stands in the Panthers’ way tonight as the dynamic Forney Jackrabbits visit Lufkin on its homecoming night.

If Lufkin is to find its way into the win column, it will need to have its best effort in slowing down a team that has been unstoppable for a month. Forney has been able to put its four opponents away by halftime and coast from there.

“We have to come out of the box strong,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “It’s more for ourselves than what they’ve been doing. We have to get back to working and feeling like we did the first three weeks of the season. We need to move the ball, get off the field on defense and start playing smart football.”

Forney has been a team without any weaknesses in the first four weeks. The Jackrabbits lead the district in scoring offense and defense, total offense and defense, rushing offense and defense and passing defense.

The Jackrabbits are third in passing offense, a category the Panthers currently lead.

The offense has been a balanced one with the dynamic sophomore Javian Osborne leading the way with 415 yards and 10 scores on just 36 carries.

“He really runs downhill,” Quick said. “He’s not big, but he’s physical and is great when he gets in space.”

Kyle Crawford runs the show at quarterback where he has thrown for 770 yards, 11 touchdowns and an interception on 40-of-66 passing.

His top target has been Kofi Eduful, who has 15 catches for 237 yards and a pair of scores. Oren Gee has six catches for 99 yards and four touchdowns for an offense that likes to spread the ball around.

“Their quarterback is a good decision maker who has been making it happen for them,” Quick said. “He makes the right decisions on their run-pass options. They’ll use a bunch of receivers. (Eduful) is a big-bodied kid that can make plays.”

As good as the offense has been, Forney’s defense has been even better.

The Jackrabbits allowed 10 points in a season-opening blowout win and have only gotten better by recording three consecutive shutouts.

Forney allows an average of 109 yards and 2.5 points per contest.

“They run an odd-man front, which is the same defense we’ve been running,” Quick said. “They’re really good in the box and they get a push up front. We’ve got to control the line of scrimmage to give ourselves a chance.”

Quick said Kelvion Riggins is a playmaker at linebacker and Easton McMillian is a versatile threat wherever he lines up.

“He’s a hybrid outside linebacker/defensive back,” Quick said.

“He’s a really good football player who competes at a high level.”

While the opponent is a tough one, the Panthers will need to find a way to keep from falling in an 0-2 hole.

Lufkin dropped a 41-21 decision to Forney on the road last year before the Jackrabbits went on to claim the third playoff spot.

“It’s really important early in district to stay out of that 0-2 hole,” This one will be a big one for both teams.”

Kickoff for tonight’s game is set for 7:30. Homecoming festivities start at 7:05.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

WE talk a lot here about the OL, so this a good time to hear a rebuttal from an O-Lineman Jordan Nichols.

Some of the most influential players on a football field are the ones few notice, as the offensive line can make or break a game on any given Friday night.

While the players scoring the touchdowns get the recognition, it takes a different type of mindset to be the one doing the dirty work.

Lufkin’s senior left guard Jordan Nichols wouldn’t have it any other way.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/nichols-paves-way-on-offensive-line/article_52332f09-9596-5092-9333-108137292cf5.html

“It takes a selfless mentality,” Nichols said. “You have to put other people before yourself. There aren’t a lot of people coming to the game to watch me play. I’m OK with that.”

Nichols has a top-notch work ethic while staying in the background. His mentality is to dominate his opponent on every play whether anyone is watching or not.

“You have to think you’re the biggest, best, strongest and smartest person out there,” Nichols said. “It doesn’t matter who you’re going against. You can’t go out there thinking someone else is better than you.”

Nichols leads the team both through his actions and his words. On a team that features a majority of juniors, he provides senior leadership in his second season as a starter.

That approach doesn’t go unnoticed by those around him.

“He’s one of the older guys on the offensive line,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “He has to be a leader of the group. He’s one of the players that sets the standard and sets the tone for the unit.”

Even though Nichols’ approach is to dominate whoever he lines up against, he said it’s a group effort when the game is on the line.

“You’ve got to have all five of us working together to be where we need to be,” Nichols said. “Doing your job is going to make it easier for everyone else on the line.”

Nichols is also quick to credit those around him, including running back Kedren Young, a Notre Dame commit.

The senior standout is on pace to break the school’s career rushing record as the team enters the midpoint of the season.

“Kedren doesn’t need much,” Nichols said. “Kedren’s Kedren. He’s a freak. Blocking for him is really cool. You feel like if you do what you’re supposed to do, he’s going to break one.”

Nichols’ work goes well beyond the football field. He is a standout powerlifter for the Panthers. He says his work in the weight room and on the field intertwine to lead to his success.

“Everything kind of correlates together,” Nichols said. “What you put into one sport is going to help out with the other.”

Nichols has high hopes for the rest of his season as the Panthers make a push to return to the playoffs, but he also has his sights set on playing at the next level.

He has gotten offers from McMurry, University of St. Mary, Texas College, La Grange and Louisiana Christian among others.

Nichols has enjoyed the recruiting process while also knowing when it’s time to get to work.

“I really have enjoyed the atmosphere at all the gameday visits,” Nichols said. “But when it’s football time, it’s football time. There is still plenty of work to do.”

The Panthers enter their homecoming matchup with Nichols knowing what is ahead for them in their quest for a return to the postseason.

At least for Nichols, he knows where it all starts.

“The main focus for us is to get back to winning ,” Nichols said. “The top priority is dominating up front. If we can do that, everything else can follow.”

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

12 hours ago, PackAttack said:

McKinney North  31   Tyler 26  Final

Tyler came roaring back from 31-7 in the 3rd quarter. The Lions are the real deal.

We should beat both of these teams in all seriousness. Tyler struggled with Legacy I'm not convinced. They're good but they're playing a bunch of 10th graders. I think this says more about where McKinney North and Lancaster is at. Tyler should had won that game last night. Had a TD called back in the last 40 seconds. Horse $hit call.

48 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Tyler is definitely headed in the right direction. They are young and have a coach now. Watch out the next few years 

They have multiple 9th graders with D1 offers already.

Their sophomore class is good and their JR class is experienced from a lot of players seeing time as sophomores last year. Those two LBs (Sueing brothers) can play.

Tyler went from getting blown out by McNorth to nearly beating them and this is a better McNorth team than last year.

They may or may not make post season this year, but they will be a force for years afterwards.

25 minutes ago, wolfpack4life said:

Their sophomore class is good and their JR class is experienced from a lot of players seeing time as sophomores last year. Those two LBs (Sueing brothers) can play.

Tyler went from getting blown out by McNorth to nearly beating them and this is a better McNorth team than last year.

They may or may not make post season this year, but they will be a force for years afterwards.

Who are the 9th graders? I didn't realize they had some youngsters like that. I know they had some 10th graders. Woods is looking like a good hire. Its early but he seems to have them headed in the right direction. They will be scary in 2 years. 

53 minutes ago, wolfpack4life said:

Dam

40 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Who are the 9th graders? I didn't realize they had some youngsters like that. I know they had some 10th graders. Woods is looking like a good hire. Its early but he seems to have them headed in the right direction. They will be scary in 2 years. 

They have a 9th grader that ran a 10.3 100m last year and is getting all kinds of track attention. I know he is on the varsity football team but he isn’t football D1. Might be world class in track one day. 

20 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

They have a 9th grader that ran a 10.3 100m last year and is getting all kinds of track attention. I know he is on the varsity football team but he isn’t football D1. Might be world class in track one day. 

Not sure where you're getting "he isn't football D1" from but RB McMiller literally already has 2 D1 offers from SMU and Nebraska. He's the son of former JT RB great Torrey McMiller.

'27 ATH Trey Harlason also has an offer from SMU.

JT has a pretty solid 9th group. Boulter 8th was probably the best MS team in ETX last year. They went undefeated, including blowing out a good Judson 8th team out of Longview. Folks in Longview and Tyler did want to see Boulter 8th play Foster 8th last season (both finished the year undefeated) but I suspect Boulter was a tad better.