2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Looking forward to the Longview game, win or lose. I'm not worried or intimidated, I'm not playing. 😉 If I were playing, still wouldn't, because I would realize how good my teammates were around me. You know people worry about and fear things that never occur 90% of the time.

Hey, I'm surviving on one year contracts now, not guaranteed any long term deals anymore. So, I'm going to enjoy whatever transpires with this year's team and next. It's a bonus for me.  I'm much more grateful for the opportunity than past years. Back when I thought there was all the time in the world to wait for things to happen, form opinions and such.

I may not always agree with everything our coaches do, however I am 100% behind these kids. I love to see them do good, make big plays, to be successful. Not only on the football field, want too see success in their everyday life as well. 

These Pack guys are not going back down from the Lobos, those kids have an intentional purpose for this Friday night. They haven't forgotten last year. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://theeagle.com/sports/high-school/football/a-m-consolidated-football-team-falls-to-lufkin-24-17/article_3d4edea4-4ec6-11ee-a44c-4f720505ff6a.html

After given it some thought. AMC is a better team than what I thought when I watched them play Huntsville. Think that also says something about how good Huntsville may be this year. AMC came in expecting to win and didn't back down. They have some playmakers and will win their share of games. That was a quality win for us, especially after trailing most of the game. The experience will only help down the line. 

14 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Looking forward to the Longview game, win or lose. I'm not worried or intimidated, I'm not playing. 😉 If I were playing, still wouldn't, because I would realize how good my teammates were around me. You know people worry about and fear things that never occur 90% of the time.

Hey, I'm surviving on one year contracts now, not guaranteed any long term deals anymore. So, I'm going to enjoy whatever transpires with this year's team and next. It's a bonus for me.  I'm much more grateful for the opportunity than past years. Back when I thought there was all the time in the world to wait for things to happen, form opinions and such.

I may not always agree with everything our coaches do, however I am 100% behind these kids. I love to see them do good, make big plays, to be successful. Not only on the football field, want too see success in their everyday life as well. 

These Pack guys are not going back down from the Lobos, those kids have an intentional purpose for this Friday night. They haven't forgotten last year. 

Well said PA. To be truthful, we are all on temporary contracts that can be torn up at anytime. None of us are guaranteed anything beyond today. Some of us just come to the realization earlier than others.

I'm with you on just soaking in the season and seeing where it takes us. I've voiced some concerns over the last few weeks. But try to keep it to minimum now days. Most of us know what it is with this program at this point. It's all about supporting the kids and watching them grow. One of the reasons I want to see all of our guys get a chance to show what they can do.

One thing I know. We have a confident group on the defensive side. They'll bring it Friday night and won't back down. We have the depth and talent to put up a fight. Offense will need to play well too. We can't have them starting on our side of the field all game. 

Should be a fun a game. No one is expecting our guys to win. They just need to keep their head in the game and don't get down if you give up a play or two. 

45 minutes ago, timeout! said:

https://theeagle.com/sports/high-school/football/a-m-consolidated-football-team-falls-to-lufkin-24-17/article_3d4edea4-4ec6-11ee-a44c-4f720505ff6a.html

After given it some thought. AMC is a better team than what I thought when I watched them play Huntsville. Think that also says something about how good Huntsville may be this year. AMC came in expecting to win and didn't back down. They have some playmakers and will win their share of games. That was a quality win for us, especially after trailing most of the game. The experience will only help down the line. 

We were fortunate that they did not connect on a couple of well thrown passes. Those penalties killed their drives when they had momentum. It was a good win for Lufkin, not going to take that away. I've always said 4 or 5 plays separate a team from a win or a loss many times. Last Friday against AMC was one of those games.  AMC was close to going up 24-10 and could not make the play in the third. Lufkin D made a play, Kedren a long TD run, and we tied the game. AMC was ranked ahead of Lufkin, in the DCTF poll and Pigskin Prep Computer rankings. So yes they are a good team, and Huntsville will be a playoff team this year too. 

It's really hard for me to make comparisons between good teams. I was foolish enough to predict a 21 pt Lufkin win. Another test and another step this week.

This is what Lufkin must avoid. This from the Bryan-College Station Eagle newspaper.

"The Tiger defense was dominant in the first quarter allowing just 5 yards on 11 plays. Lufkin's first three possessions all ended in three-and-outs. "

This is something that must not be a trend the rest of the season. 

DCTF has Longview a  +34  point favorite over Lufkin this Friday night.

In plain English, Dave Campbell's Texas Football are saying Longview will win this game by some 34 point margin of 37-3, 41-7, 48-14 or 55-21.  Take your pick.  

They are absolutely looking at the 56-7 score last year, the disrespecting aspect here is that Longview was only a +23 favorite at Marshall and a +36 favorite against Legacy.  Those DCTF guys are comparing Lufkin to Legacy??  Lufkin won 31-7 ???

If Lufkin loses this game by 34 points, we'll probably get another big write up in the Lufkin Daily by Mr. Carl Kiel.  I've learned to never say never, either way. Stranger things have happen around here the last few years.  Just believe this prediction won't happen, this Panther team has more Moxy than all these folks are giving them credit.  Go Pack!

40 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

In plain English, Dave Campbell's Texas Football are saying Longview will win this game by some 34 point margin of 37-3, 41-7, 48-14 or 55-21.  Take your pick.  

They are absolutely looking at the 56-7 score last year, the disrespecting aspect here is that Longview was only a +23 favorite at Marshall and a +36 favorite against Legacy.  Those DCTF guys are comparing Lufkin to Legacy??  Lufkin won 31-7 ???

If Lufkin loses this game by 34 points, we'll probably get another big write up in the Lufkin Daily by Mr. Carl Kiel.  I've learned to never say never, either way. Stranger things have happen around here the last few years.  Just believe this prediction won't happen, this Panther team has more Moxy than all these folks are giving them credit.  Go Pack!

Don't forget Lufkin was a -5 point underdog at HOME last week against A&M Consolidated by DCTF/Pigskin Prep, Lufkin won by 7.  

17 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

34 points 😂😂😂 

The Pack gotta prove them wrong. It’s a tall task going up there and getting a win. We both been to a lot of games up there and I can’t even remember that game we won, but definitely remember the classic games we had up there. Some we definitely should’ve won.

They talk about coming down here and being down 14 when they get off bus, but they don’t have to play against alumni refs like we do lol. Kidding aside, i think this team is good enough this year to make it another classic longview vs Lufkin game. This team just gotta prove people wrong this year, especially in our own fan base. We definitely have the talent this season and defense to keep it close. Coaching and Oline struggles still worry me though.

As for the prediction, when we were sitting together last year neither one of us thought 56-7 would happened too lol. That was shocking to everyone in the stadium and at Abe of all places. It was shocking to the lobos. But I’m hoping the boys can go up there and send a message like your UT guys did in Bama. 

33 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

The Pack gotta prove them wrong. It’s a tall task going up there and getting a win. We both been to a lot of games up there and I can’t even remember that game we won, but definitely remember the classic games we had up there. Some we definitely should’ve won.

They talk about coming down here and being down 14 when they get off bus, but they don’t have to play against alumni refs like we do lol. Kidding aside, i think this team is good enough this year to make it another classic longview vs Lufkin game. This team just gotta prove people wrong this year, especially in our own fan base. We definitely have the talent this season and defense to keep it close. Coaching and Oline struggles still worry me though.

As for the prediction, when we were sitting together last year neither one of us thought 56-7 would happened too lol. That was shocking to everyone in the stadium and at Abe of all places. It was shocking to the lobos. But I’m hoping the boys can go up there and send a message like your UT guys did in Bama. 

You hit the nail on the head. This program must prove they belong in the talk with better programs, and not just talk about wanting to be there. Lufkin use to get off the bus up a TD or two more than a decade ago. Not sure the Panther kids today can comprehend what it takes to be on that level of excellence, it's been so long ago around here.  Last time Lufkin won in Longview was a 23-12 win in 2002, that's over 20 years ago.  

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

I don't need a win. I just want a highly contested game and that will tell me everything I need to know about how the rest of the season will go.

41 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You hit the nail on the head. This program must prove they belong in the talk with better programs, and not just talk about wanting to be there. Lufkin use to get off the bus up a TD or two more than a decade ago. Not sure the Panther kids today can comprehend what it takes to be on that level of excellence, it's been so long ago around here.  Last time Lufkin won in Longview was a 23-12 win in 2002, that's over 20 years ago.  

Yep, I miss those days. When i knew we were going to beat up on a team, not just win a game. Especially the days when we went down to the Houston/Woodlands area. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't need a win. I just want a highly contested game and that will tell me everything I need to know about how the rest of the season will go.

Okay, I'll take that scenario and be happy. Yes. 

However not being able to run the ball for 3 quarters, and 9 - 23 for 113 yards passing probably won't achieve that. Just saying, hope a solution is found quickly, because this will be the best D Lufkin will probably face all year.   

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Okay, I'll take that scenario and be happy. Yes. 

However not being able to run the ball for 3 quarters, and 9 - 23 for 113 yards passing probably won't achieve that. Just saying, hope a solution is found quickly, because this will be the best D Lufkin will probably face all year.   

Yeah and to be fair Hammond had a TD pass dropped and had one called back. 

Coach Green if you're reading this please use tempo to your advantage. Get the kids lined up hard snap and make the Longview defense show it's hand and adjust the play call accordingly. 

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

If Lufkin loses this game by 34 points, we'll probably get another big write up in the Lufkin Daily by Mr. Carl Kiel.  I've learned to never say never, either way. Stranger things have happen around here the last few years.  Just believe this prediction won't happen, this Panther team has more Moxy than all these folks are giving them credit.  Go Pack!

Hmmmm....was wondering why I no longer buy that magazine.....3rd year now.....Hmmmm

49 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Yeah and to be fair Hammond had a TD pass dropped and had one called back. 

Coach Green if you're reading this please use tempo to your advantage. Get the kids lined up hard snap and make the Longview defense show it's hand and adjust the play call accordingly. 

😉 He doesn't read this. LOL Great suggestion though, Legacy ran  hurry up on us this year and Forney last year, so why not turn the tables. 

If we start the way we started against AMC,  Longview will be up multiple scores!  We need to do something to create some doubt in those Lobos early.  They will be very confident, one they’re good, two they destroyed us last year!  

Also, them being up multiple scores will force us to have to attempt more passing . This ultimately will take the ball out of Young’s hands somewhat .  Especially if it’s during the second half of the ball game. 

4 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

If we start the way we started against AMC,  Longview will be up multiple scores!  We need to do something to create some doubt in those Lobos early.  They will be very confident, one they’re good, two they destroyed us last year!  

Also, them being up multiple scores will force us to have to attempt more passing . This ultimately will take the ball out of Young’s hands somewhat .  Especially if it’s during the second half of the ball game. 

I think we're going to need to pass the ball to have a chance Friday night. I would open it up a little bit. Try to hit a couple of chunk plays. But I agree we can't come out like we did against AMC or it could get bad. 

49 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think we're going to need to pass the ball to have a chance Friday night. I would open it up a little bit. Try to hit a couple of chunk plays. But I agree we can't come out like we did against AMC or it could get bad. 

We’re definitely going to have to be able to throw some ! The passing game looked beyond dead last week.