2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very nice write up on T J Hammond, and another Congratulations from me on two well played games to begin this season with expectations.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/hammond-named-5a-qb-of-week/article_ec3b2b9c-99ce-5e2c-8035-8d6c6809012d.html

On a good night, T.J. Hammond is a threat to make the big plays in the passing game. On his best night, he has the potential to be among the state’s best quarterbacks.

That was the case this past week as his career night drew the attention at a statewide level. He had his best game as a Panther, throwing for 370 yards and three touchdowns on 21-of-29 passing.

Hammond was officially recognized for his performance as he was named the Class 5A Dave Campbell’s Texas Football’s Quarterback of the Week.

“I don’t take something like that for granted,” Hammond said. “I was happy to get it. It shows the hard work pays off, but I’ve got to give credit the rest of the team too. If the receivers aren’t catching it, then I’m not getting that award.”

Hammond is in his third year as a starter but is easily enjoying the best two-game stretch of his Lufkin career.

Through two games, he has thrown for 562 yards and five touchdowns on 28-of-40 passing. Just as importantly, he hasn’t thrown an interception yet.

“It’s been a good start,” Hammond said. “There’s still a lot of work to do.”

At least in the first two games, teams have dared Hammond to beat them. With Kedren Young in the backfield, teams have elected to load up against the run.

It’s an understandable strategy with Lufkin featuring one of the top running backs in the nation.

But when Legacy and Nacogdoches have forced Hammond to beat them through the air, he hasn’t blinked.

The quarterback set the tone for the season with two long scoring strikes in the first five minutes. With Lufkin’s run game stalled against Nacogdoches, Hammond and the passing game carried the load early on.

“T.J. really has a grasp of what we’re trying to do offensively,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “He knows teams are going to try to take away the run game. He’s got people around him that can make plays. He’s done a good job of getting the guys the ball quick to let them make plays. But he’s also done a good job of hitting some deep shots when that’s what’s there for him.”

Hammond admitted the recent statewide award was a meaningful one for him, although his sights are set on more team-oriented goals. He is looking to lead the Panthers to the postseason for the first time since the 2020 season.

“The playoffs mean the world to me since I’ve never played in them,” Hammond said. “Going that long without being in the playoffs is unheard of in Lufkin. We want to end that this year.”

If Lufkin is to be a contender in district action, Hammond is going to play a major role. His rise to being a three-year starter for the Panthers has been an impressive one.

Hammond moved from Paris, Texas, in middle school and started playing quarterback full time as an eighth grader. It didn’t take him long to catch on.

Hammond took over as the starting quarterback early in his sophomore season and had some early growing pains. Now he is in his element in becoming a playmaker for the Pack.

“I went from being a freshman on JV to the starting quarterback as a sophomore,” Hammond said. “It was a pretty big jump. Now I’m more used to it. You deal with the pressure because if you aren’t playing well as a quarterback, then the team probably isn’t playing well. Even on your off nights, you’ve got to find a way to make it work.”

Hammond’s ability to make it work will be tested as the Panthers begin their most important stretch of the season.

Lufkin faces a tough A&M Consolidated team tonight before opening district with Longview and Forney, two teams expected to be in the playoffs.

With Hammond leading the way, the Panthers like their chances.

“He’s really worked to get to this point,” Quick said. “He had a good offseason and spring ball and he spends a lot of time working with the receivers because a lot of them are new. He understands what we ask of him and has been doing a really good job for us.”

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

The Lufkin Panthers are a week away from a showdown with longtime rival Longview and a two-game stretch that will go a long way in telling the story of the season.

Before they get there, the Panthers will get the chance to see where they stand against some tough competition when they welcome in the A&M Consolidated Tigers tonight.

Lufkin has raced out to a 2-0 start against East Texas rivals Tyler Legacy and Nacogdoches, two teams picked to miss the postseason. A&M Consolidated will offer a test of where the Panthers stand before their toughest game on the 2023 slate.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/lufkin-ready-for-tough-a-m-consolidated-squad/article_113f0038-400d-5802-89e8-21bb77c84360.html

“At this point of the year, you want to keep things going in the right direction,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “We need to play a team that’s going to put you in a bind. Longview’s going to put us in a bind. We need to see how the guys are going to respond against a tough team.”

The game will be a rematch of last season when Lufkin delivered one of the bigger upsets in the state.

A&M Consolidated was the third-ranked team in 5A DI entering the night. Lufkin responded with arguably its best performance of the season, rolling to a 31-14 win.

A pair of big second-quarter plays highlighted the night.

With A&M Consolidated leading 7-3 early in the second quarter, Tanner Havard picked off a pass and returned an interception 75 yards for a touchdown.

Six minutes later, Lufkin was backed up to its own 1-yard line when Kedren Young broke free for a 99-yard touchdown run. Young finished with 262 yards and two touchdowns.

The Panthers never looked back.

“We went down there last year and they didn’t know a lot about us,” Quick said. “We jumped on them early. We aren’t sneaking up on them this year.”

The Tigers have gotten off to a 2-0 start this season. They used their defense to key a 23-12 win over Huntsville in the opener then coasted to a 38-8 win over UANL Autenticos Tigres last week.

A&M Consolidated is led by Will Hargett, a returning starter at quarterback. He threw for 200 yards and three scores last week when A&M Consolidated built a big early lead and coasted to the win.

In last season’s game, Hargett threw for 189 yards on 14-of-34 passing.

Payton Bjork is also back from last season’s team. He was the Tigers’ top playmaker in last year’s game, making 7 receptions for 99 yards.

“They’ve got a great offensive scheme,” Quick said. “They run a lot of offensive sets. If you aren’t careful, they’ll get somebody running free down the field.

“Their quarterback was a sophomore last year. He makes plays. He’ll run the ball and he does a good job of getting the ball to their playmakers.”

While the Tigers possess the ability to put up points, their defense has told the story early in the season.

With the offense faltering in the opener against Huntsville, the defense stepped up, forcing five turnovers in the win.

Last week, the Tigers didn’t find the end zone until the final minute when the game had long been decided.

Trace Meadows and Jordan Lynch are two of the top playmakers on A&M Consolidated.

“They’re going to send guys off the edge so we have to keep our eyes up and not let them through,” Quick said.

“They’ll have a lot of movement and run a lot of stunts. We have to control the line of scrimmage.”

Following tonight’s game, the Panthers open district action in Longview Sept. 15.

Kickoff for tonight’s game on John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium is set for 7:30.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

I think Lufkin handles business tonight. I dropped my son off last night at TJ House for a team get together. I can tell the younger kids are getting behind him and he is doing a great job being a team leader. Not sure if his dad still reads the boards because of all the hate he has gotten in the past but I want you to know I appreciate you and TJ for getting the kids together like that. I'm officially driving the Timothy James fan bus now. Kid has been dealing so far this year and is clearly the most important player on the team.

12 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think Lufkin handles business tonight. I dropped my son off last night at TJ House for a team get together. I can tell the younger kids are getting behind him and he is doing a great job being a team leader. Not sure if his dad still reads the boards because of all the hate he has gotten in the past but I want you to know I appreciate you and TJ for getting the kids together like that. I'm officially driving the Timothy James fan bus now. Kid has been dealing so far this year and is clearly the most important player on the team.

Thank You, well said.

A&M Consolidated 10 Lufkin 0 End of 1st qtr.

OL still can not block for Young or Phillips, O game plan not working well. Special teams punting is terrible. Who is kicking coach? 

D put in short fields defending.

O-line  having troubles this half and another TD called back that’s what 4 so far this year? Can’t win games like that. The D is very solid that’s for sure they will keep LP in games this season. 

Not sure what it is. But this staff is horrible when it comes to having guys ready to play in big games. Special teams need some serious work. We will how the halftime adjustments go. We would be down 21 plus if we were playing Longview, Forney or Lancaster tonight. Hope we come out fired up second half. Gotta give AMC some credit too, They are a solid group and well coached. 

The OL just struggles and Kendren is having to make many of his own yards.  Phillips is not being used as much as I thought in the offense, mostly as. Blocker tonight. We are tied against a team who DCTF rates higher than us. We didn't play a great first half and we are tied.

5 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Not sure what it is. But this staff is horrible when it comes to having guys ready to play in big games. Special teams need some serious work. We will how the halftime adjustments go. We would be down 21 plus if we were playing Longview, Forney or Lancaster tonight. Hope we come out fired up second half. Gotta give AMC some credit too, They are a solid group and well coached. 

I'm not buying that Longview would be up big right now. They not playing a team with a pulse tonight. They doing to Legacy about what we did to them not quite as bad actually. Nothing about Longview makes me think they're unbeatable.

4 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I'm not buying that Longview would be up big right now. They not playing a team with a pulse tonight. They doing to Legacy about what we did to them. Nothing about Longview makes me think they're unbeatable.

You could be right. But if we come out flat like this, it could get out of hand quick. Not just with Longview, but against any of the better teams in district. It's not that we in close game that bothers me. It's all the miscues I'm seeing. We still tied against a good team, and we not having our best night. 

We have some dangerous weapons at WR. Those guys can do some damage if TJ can get them the ball. 

1 minute ago, timeout! said:

You could be right. But if we come out flat like this, it could get out of hand quick. Not just with Longview, but against any of the better teams in district. It's not that we in close game that bothers me. It's all the miscues I'm seeing. We still tied against a good team, and we not having our best night. 

I think we took AMC best shot. They ran some plays I haven't seen on film from them. I like our chances in the 2nd half. Would like to see more passing on 1st down. Maybe pick the tempo up. When they blitz that slant is open.