2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

8 minutes ago, pack98 said:

Nac WR Brown is a stud. 

Yeah I said #3 was one to watch. He is legit. Refs have been absolutely horrible tonight. My kid got hosed on a PI. Overall offense looked great passing. Much better running the ball in the 2nd half. Defense dominated until about the 4th quarter but some of those were reserve scores. Lufkin dominated tonight. Still plenty to work on but I like what I see

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These penalties are killers. Special teams holder needs work or replaced. Nothing wrong with the kicker.  Has been a lot of yellow flags tonight, very partial to NAC. NAC was only as good as the ref calls to call back 3 TDs on us or keep NAC drives alive, multiple times. 

everything was rosy till we got in that 4th quarter debackle.I was taken back about our preformance till that.Who is our defense coordinator? Who is over specials teams? I asked that last week,------ bring in the janitor,he can coach better.Unaceptable for the 4th quarter.Does any of the asstant coaches be held responsible.The cameras never showed our crowd,didnt see a few plays due to not following the ball.Ok, Coach Quick we have beem watching the pros too much with antics i saw.Its called showing out ,its called Ifor individual.You gonna do that to Forney or Lancaster?Even Nasty said we need DISCIPLINE!

You guys need to stop a minute and look at this properly. I have never like us pulling starters like that in the 3rd quarter. It's good they want backups to get experience, but I don't like it to happen so early.

First of all our 1st team D did very well most of the night.  They held Nacogdoches to 48 yards offense in the first half. The Lufkin O put up 301 yards in the 1st half, 262 yards passing. Would have been even more if the yellow hankies had not been thrown.  Lufkin had opportunities twice with 1st downs at the NAC 30 yard line and were unable to score a point. 

There are issues with getting this running game started early, that's two weeks in a row we have started slow. Everyone is lining up and running down hill at us on the defensive side.  That's where the passing game really looked good tonight.

As we get further into the season , the starters will play most of the games and many of those backups we have seen the past two weeks will not see the field much.  

Not saying there are not things to fix, Quick said it himself after the game. Just don't want to still hear him saying the same thing in week 5 or 6 of the season. 

Got to stop the penalties we actually commit, fix that X-PT game. Second week in a row this has happen, whoever the special teams coach is, FIX IT. Either the kid can place the ball or he can't.

I'm trying not to read too much into out backups playing, Javion Johnson, a raw talent at QB with lots of possibilities, again they didn't allow him to throw the ball much. Still need to remind him to secure the ball. Who is the QB coach?  Thought B. Murphy ran the ball well.

If you look at the game in a capsule, our 1s beat the stuffing out of NAC 1s, they know it too. If not for the extra dirty laundry on the field, it's 48-0 at halftime. Gavin Phillips hardly touched the ball tonight, he didn't come into the game until the 2nd quarter, and then was mainly a blocker. Like Tyler Legacy, Nacogdoches is not a good football team, so lets not get fooled here. Neither are a measuring stick for Longview, Forney or Lancaster.

The fact that NAC never took their first team O out at any point and did most of their scoring against Lufkin backups doesn't make me feel any better, it's where NAC took the advantage and was able to make the score look much closer than it really was . If they high fived each other over a moral victory, that means nothing to me.

I don't completely understand why substituted so early in the 2nd half in the last two games, guess Quick can answer that better, I'm not going to guess. 

The Pack are 2-0, this is non-district and we have the luxury of playing our 1st teams less and backups more. These games count for nothing in the long run, so win them however you can, keep your 1s fresh and get the backups some experience. No matter how painful it is to watch. For as I said earlier, most of those backups will not be on the field when we play the key teams in district play.  

I've seen enough of the 1s or starters to not be too concerned about them at all.  Maybe we see more of them next week. Just going to take this 47-28 win and file it.  It should not have been as close as it turned out to be. We will know in the next three weeks exactly where they stand, a firestorm is coming, better be ready.

A change the subject, there was an outstanding crowd from Lufkin there,. AMC coming to town next Friday.

3 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You guys need to stop a minute and look at this properly. I have never like us pulling starters like that in the 3rd quarter. It's good they want backups to get experience, but I don't like it to happen so early.

First of all our 1st team D did very well most of the night.  They held Nacogdoches to 48 yards offense in the first half. The Lufkin O put up 301 yards in the 1st half, 262 yards passing. Would have been even more if the yellow hankies had not been thrown.  Lufkin had opportunities twice with 1st downs at the NAC 30 yard line and were unable to score a point. 

There are issues with getting this running game started early, that's two weeks in a row we have started slow. Everyone is lining up and running down hill at us on the defensive side.  That's where the passing game really shinned tonight.

As we get further into the season , the starters will play most of the games and many of those backups we have seen the past two weeks will not see the field much.  

Not saying there are not things to fix, Quick said it himself after the game. Just don't want to still hear him saying the same thing in week 5 or 6 of the season. 

Got to stop the penalties we actually commit, fix that X-PT game. Second week in a row this has happen, whoever the special teams coach is, FIX IT. Either the kid can place the ball or he can't.

I'm trying not to read too much into out backups playing, Javion John, a raw talent at QB with lots of possibilities, again they didn't allow him to throw the ball much. Still need to remind him to secure the ball. Who is the QB coach?  Thought B. Murphy ran the ball well.

If you look at the game in a capsule, our 1s beat the stuffing out of NAC 1s, they know it too. If not for the extra dirty laundry on the field, it's 48-0 at halftime. Gavin Phillips didn't even touch the ball tonight, he didn't come into the game until the 2nd quarter, and then was mainly a blocker. Like Tyler legacy, Nacogdoches is not a good football team, so lets not get fooled here. Neither are a measuring stick for Longview, Forney or Lancaster.

The fact that NAC never took their first teams out at any point and did most of their scoring against Lufkin backups doesn't make me feel any better, it's where NAC took the advantage and was able to make the score look much closer than it really was . If they high fived each other over a moral victory, that means nothing to me.

I don't completely understand why substituted so early in the 2nd half in the last two games, guess Quick can answer that better, I'm not going to guess. 

The Pack are 2-0, this is non-district and we have the luxury of playing our 1st teams less and backups more. These games count for nothing in the long run, so win them however you can, keep your 1s fresh and get the backups some experience. No matter how painful it is to watch. For as I said earlier, most of those backups will not be on the field when we play the key team in district play.  

I've seen enough of the 1s or starters to not be too concerned about them at all.  Maybe we see more of them next week. Just going to take this 41-28 win and file it.  It should not have been as close as it turned out to be. We will know in the next three weeks exactly where they stand, a firestorm is coming, better be ready.

A change the subject, there was an outstanding crowd from Lufkin there,. AMC coming to town next Friday.

Our 2nd team D was out there. To be honest we’re not that deep depth wise to play most of our 2nd team. 

12 minutes ago, Nac_dragon07 said:

Our 2nd team D was out there. To be honest we’re not that deep depth wise to play most of our 2nd team. 

Your 1st team O was there the whole game, your back up D did not come in until later in the 4th. That I did notice late, it almost slipped by me.  For a split moment I thought NAC might make it 47-35 near the end. That 4th quarter was just frustrating to watch from the Panther side.

NAC has 3 or 4 guys who can play, they just need a lot more help.

With the Panthers/Dragons rivalry moved to SFA’s Homer Bryce Stadium due to construction at Nacogdoches High School, Lufkin’s domination of the series continued.

T.J. Hammond had one of his best games as a Panther, the Lufkin defense was lights out for a half and the Panthers pounded the Dragons 47-28 in non-district action here Friday night.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/lufkin-rolls-to-47-28-win-over-nacogdoches/article_c357dac7-b9b5-538b-b3d7-bb59093ffa72.html

Lufkin built a 28-0 lead by halftime then built that margin to as many as 33 points. Some sloppy play in the final minutes, including 15 penalties and a failure to recover an onside kick, allowed the score to be closer than most of the game indicated.

“I thought for the most part we did a lot of good things between the whistles,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “It was what we did after the whistles that hurt us. We can’t play like that against a district team and expect to win.”

Hammond and the Lufkin receiving corps took advantage of their opportunities throughout the night.

Hammond threw for a career-high 370 yards and three touchdowns on 21-of-29 passing. He spread the ball around to a variety of targets.

Brayden Murphy had 6 catches for 118 yards and a touchdown and Ke’Vondrick Taylor had 4 receptions for 114 yards and two scores. Kriseason Preston added 7 catches for 78 yards.

“I thought T.J. did a good job of understanding what he needed to take,” Quick said. “Being able to spread the ball around was big, as well.”

Meanwhile, Kedren Young was held in check for a half before going off in the third quarter. He had his second straight triple-digit game, running for 134 yards and three scores on 19 carries.

“We have to be efficient in the passing game like we were tonight,” Quick said. “Eventually that lets you open things up. He was patient and got some big ones in the second half.”

But it was another stellar defensive performance that kept the Dragons off balance until the Panthers were well in control.

Nacogdoches finished the night with 257 total yards. However, Lufkin was penalized for 131 yards on 15 carries.

“We did too many things well to have a night like that,” Quick said. “They flew around. But we have to do a better job of controlling our emotions after the play is over.”

With Young being contained in the first half, the Panthers took charge with the arm of Hammond.

Lufkin kept its opening drive alive with Hammond’s 27-yard completion to Young on third and 19. The drive was capped when Hammond hit Brayden Murphy on a short pass, he made a defender miss then finished off a 43-yard touchdown reception that made it 7-0.

After a three-and-out, Lufkin’s Bacquari Murphy took a punt return back for a score, but it was called back on a penalty.

That only delayed the second score when Taylor took a short pass from Hammond and turned the play into a 20-yard touchdown that made it 14-0 midway through the first quarter.

Lufkin was on the verge of putting the game away early when Nacogdoches came up with a goal line stand to keep the Pack off the scoreboard.

That proved to be the start of a quarter of frustrations as Brayden Murphy had another touchdown taken off the board on a penalty.

The Panthers finally got their offense going late in the first half to put the game away before the break.

Lufkin grinded out a nine-play, 44-yard drive that culminated with a Young 3-yard touchdown run that made it 21-0 with 1:35 left in the half.

The Panthers didn’t stop there with Amarion Campbell coming up with an interception on the first play of the following drive, giving the Panthers outstanding field position.

It took only one play for Lufkin to capitalize on the turnover when Hammond threw a perfect long ball to Taylor for a 45-yard touchdown pass that made it 28-0.

The Panthers outgained Nacogdoches 301-48 in the first half with the majority of that damage coming through the air.

With Young held to 48 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries before the break, Hammond threw for 263 yards and three touchdowns.

Taylor was the top threat with 3 catches for 75 yards, and Brayden Murphy hauled in 3 passes for 73 yards and a touchdown.

Nacogdoches showed its first sign of life on the first drive of the second half when Mikail Lockett went deep and hit Jaylen Brown, who hauled in a one-handed catch and finished off a 91-yard touchdown reception that cut the margin to 28-6.

That seemed to only serve as a wakeup call for Young, who took over on the following drive. He carried the ball three times for 73 yards, scoring on a 36-yard touchdown run that made it 35-6 with 8:23 left in the half.

Nacogdoches put together a second straight scoring drive when Lockett hit Brown for a 26-yard touchdown on third and 14 before Ty Williams hauled in a two-point conversion that cut the margin to 35-14 with 4:30 left in the third quarter.

Lufkin answered right back with Young running for a 23-yard touchdown that made it 41-14 with 2:59 left in the third quarter.

Nacogdoches’ next drive ended with a Kenneth Timmons interception for Lufkin.

The Panthers’ offense stayed hot from there with Bacquari Murphy capping an 8-play, 81-yard drive with a 1-yard touchdown run that made it 47-14 with 8:40 remaining.

With Lufkin’s reserves in the game, the duo of Lockett to Brown put up another score as they connected for a 21-yard touchdown that made it 47-21 with 6:07 left in the game.

After recovering an onside kick, Nacogdoches got on the board one final time when L.J. Leadon scored on a 1-yard touchdown run, making it 47-28 with 3:16 remaining.

The Panthers (2-0) return home at 7:30 Friday night when they host the A&M Consolidated Tigers.

Josh Havard’s email address is

josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Fifteen penalties for 131 yards were some drive killers tonight. There were some that were suspicious.

However, about 50-60 yards of the 131 penalty yards were for un sportsman-like jaw jacking, it seems to happen more with Nacogdoches than anyone else Lufkin plays during the year.

District 7-5A DI Scores:

Forney 62  Frisco Memorial 0

Longview 48  Marshall 7

South Oak Cliff 42  Lancaster 21

Mesquite  29  North Mesquite 9

West Mesquite 17  Mesquite Poteet  14

Tyler 28   Tyler Legacy  14

Lufkin 47  Nacogdoches 28

Justin Northwest  31  McKinney North  28

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

There are issues with getting this running game started early, that's two weeks in a row we have started slow. Everyone is lining up and running down hill at us on the defensive side.  That's where the passing game really looked good tonight.

I'm trying not to read too much into out backups playing, Javion Johnson, a raw talent at QB with lots of possibilities, again they didn't allow him to throw the ball much. Still need to remind him to secure the ball. Who is the QB coach?  Thought B. Murphy ran the ball well.

If you look at the game in a capsule, our 1s beat the stuffing out of NAC 1s, they know it too. If not for the extra dirty laundry on the field, it's 48-0 at halftime. Gavin Phillips didn't even touch the ball tonight, he didn't come into the game until the 2nd quarter, and then was mainly a blocker. Like Tyler Legacy, Nacogdoches is not a good football team, so lets not get fooled here. Neither are a measuring stick for Longview, Forney or Lancaster.

The fact that NAC never took their first teams out at any point and did most of their scoring against Lufkin backups doesn't make me feel any better, it's where NAC took the advantage and was able to make the score look much closer than it really was . If they high fived each other over a moral victory, that means nothing to me.

The Pack are 2-0, this is non-district and we have the luxury of playing our 1st teams less and backups more. These games count for nothing in the long run, so win them however you can, keep your 1s fresh and get the backups some experience. No matter how painful it is to watch. For as I said earlier, most of those backups will not be on the field when we play the key teams in district play.  

I've seen enough of the 1s or starters to not be too concerned about them at all.  Maybe we see more of them next week. Just going to take this 47-28 win and file it.  It should not have been as close as it turned out to be. We will know in the next three weeks exactly where they stand, a firestorm is coming, better be ready.

I think Lufkin needs to rotate better and not mass sub on defense. If they do that they it will be better but credit #3 for Nac he is an absolute stud. He's going to be a problem for anyone.

The Nacogdoches coach took the moral victory high road.

Nacogdoches’ football team didn’t get the final result it wanted in its 104 all-time meeting on the gridiron against Lufkin as the Panthers defeated the Dragons, 47-28.

But first year head football coach and athletic director Darby House was pleased with his team’s performance in the second half.

“With two minutes to go in the first half, it was 14-0,” House said. “We shot ourselves in the foot, missed assignments in the passing game, things like that. Offensively, we stuttered. We had things that we wanted, just didn’t protect.

“It looked like it was our second game, and we had a lot of mental errors but we did a great job of making adjustments to what they were doing. You go and get those moral victories. We came out in the second half and played really well.”

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

And we need to start putting some respect on Timothy James name

Timothy James certainly had a great night spreading the ball around, he made several outstanding throws. If not for those penalty flags he would have had 450 yards passing. This Lufkin's WR group are really fast and can catch the ball.

Season is moving on guys, we are a scrimmage and two game gone, it's flying like it usually does. Grab you a coffee and chill, the ride is going to get better. 

Isn't it great that our Panthers are 2-0, they have won 31-7 and 47-28, and folks still look at all the negative and failures first in the conversation.  If we had won both games against this same competition 70-0 would we still point out the slow starts, missed X-pts or playing back ups early in the 3rd qrt.  I think some of you would, simply because we weren't doing that against a Longview, Forney or Lancaster.   I know there is a bunch of accumulated fan animosity over past years failures. These are not those kids, and so far they have done everything they have suppose to against the quality of teams they have played to win comfortably. 

Yes, there are things to be fixed and worked on, every freaking team in Texas has something to work and improve on. #1 5A DI Aledo beat 6A Denton Guyer 48-45 last night, their coach said they have something to work on, how not to give up 45 points. Aledo kicked a 21 yd FG as time expired to win this game.

Lets get through the next 3 weeks watching these kids play, they will be tested greater than the last two or three weeks,  the competition gets highly upgraded now. Tough road ahead, this team's metal will be tested, but I really like what I've seen from our starters on both sides of the ball, the front line rotation has been good too. That is where our focus should be first, on the may positive thing this group is achieving before the back ups get into the mix. There's just a different level of play between the two. Fix that short circuit in the X-PT and FG game, then we may have something. For me I'm looking forward to the ride and watching these kids play.  The real nerve racking games are about to start, hope some of you make it through. LOL

58 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The real nerve racking games are about to start, hope some of you make it through. LOL

I’ll be ok because I know what to expect lol… Don’t forget, last years team started out 3-0 blowing out Nac and AMC. I’m willing to bet last years consolidated team was better than this years. Only sputter was the opener with legacy. So, we’ll see how Longview and Forney go. Are we 50 points better this time? We didn’t compete with Longview at all last year 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

PhotoScan2.jpg

Your eyes don't deceive you, that's 555 total yards for the Pack. T J and our WRs had a great night in about 2 1/2 quarters of work. The NAC D was dead set on stopping the Pack running game early, until things finally picked up later. We are proving we can do both and that's really nice to see. Those 131 yards of penalties stick out like a sore thumb.  Especially when you consider penalties cost 3 Panther TDs overall, add in a missed FG and 2 missed XPs.  That 47 could have been closer to 60-70, so we take the win we have and move on. In our future games we may need some of those points, so hope they work real hard on getting that penalty aspect worked out.