2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Lufkin doing just enough to win. We have at least 120 yards in penalties. Coaches are trying to run clock in 3rd qtr, taking too too long to get plays in. This is my elephant.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin doing just enough to win. We have at least 120 yards in penalties. Coaches are trying to run clock in 3rd qtr, taking too too long to get plays in. This is my elephant.

They just aren’t a good staff. Idk why yalls expectations change from year to year 

7 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Lmao man fr.. Why do we do that BS. Smh 

I have no idea. I get you don't wanna get injuries but Hammond should had gotten a few more series and just to work on some things. Defense was much better in 2nd half but they blew an assignment but Legacy couldn't capitalize. I just don't like the message it sends and Outlaw would always push the gas before halftime. Couldn't believe we ran out the clock. 

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I have no idea. I get you don't wanna get injuries but Hammond should had gotten a few more series and just to work on some things. Defense was much better in 2nd half but they blew an assignment but Legacy couldn't capitalize. I just don't like the message it sends and Outlaw would always push the gas before halftime. Couldn't believe we ran out the clock. 

Terrible. At 31-7 that just isn’t enough for me yet. That’s only a 3 score game by going for 2 after a TD. That game could’ve gotten closer in a hurry. Should’ve put the foot on the gas at least the entire 3rd qtr and dang sure right before half. That’s not a championship mentality. That’s mediocracy.

9 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

You end up building a team that doesn't have that killer instinct. Maybe I'm overreacting but that second half was straight crap. 

You exactly right. Definitely not overreacting. That was dog water. Set a tone and send a message. We didn’t do anything. 

18 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Terrible. At 31-7 that just isn’t enough for me yet. That’s only a 3 score game by going for 2 after a TD. That game could’ve gotten closer in a hurry. Should’ve put the foot on the gas at least the entire 3rd qtr and dang sure right before half. That’s not a championship mentality. That’s mediocracy.

That's how they missed the post season last year. Bad habit.

First of all I'm happy we won.  The 1st teams showed their potential to be very good.  There are things to work on and that's why they play non-district games. 

Hope Gavin Phillip's is okay, a couple others looked dinged up on the sidelines.

Need to work on the number of penalties we had tonight and how to successfully kick an extra point,  I did not think kicking would be our issue.   Anyway, all that can be fixed.

Not worried about the near interceptions, because they didn't happen, but T J also made several outstanding throws too. So, let's be equal with that discussion.  I see the potential with our skilled guys.

Legacy did a decent job early of stopping our run game, I give them that credit. The running lanes were not there. Folks are going to do that to Lufkin all year, so that needs to get fixed quickly.

As others have stated, great to get the backups in the game, it's exactly what non district is all about. However,  I really dislike the way our coaches let the foot off the gas and started to run clock middle of the 3rd quarter. They could care less if the backups score. The school owes me some money back for that sleeper of a 2nd half.

Overall I'm very happy with the win. Don't think Legacy is more than an average team. DCTF had us favored by 5 points, we exceeded that point spread. We will  see if things get fixed and if this team can get better week to week.  I sure didn't see much difference in coaching philosophy, pretty much the same as every year, the talent is much better though.

Highlight of the night for me was Michael Mosley Jr using his track speed to run down the Legacy runner at the Panther 1 yard line on the muffed extra point. Don't have anything else to say, it's on to Nacogdoches, who won 40-36 over Palestine tonight.

Forney beat Crandall 64-10. They didn't let up in the 3rd quarter.  

North Mesquite 28-25 over North Garland

Lancaster 28 Dallas Skyline  14

Tyler 38  Marshall 36 - in 5 Overtimes

Dallas Kimball 23  West Mesquite 7

McKinney North and Garland play Saturday

FYI - AMC beat Huntsville 23-12

23 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I agree it doesn't send a good message.

Look, I know I’m griping during a 31-7 win but I know we could’ve beaten the brakes off of legacy. The starters could’ve scored 3 more TD’s. I’m also all for saving Kedren and definitely all for staying healthy. But come on. This team is going to be groomed into having a weaker mentality than teams like Longview, Forney and Lancaster. Tonight should have been a tone setter not just to outsiders but mostly to the kids in your program. Let them know we will be great, we will take it to someone’s a$$. This is who we are. I expect nothing less. But nope. This vanilla staff strikes again. That’s what I meant all off season about this teams ceiling only being so high. 

By the number of penalty flags flying tonight I thought Lufkin had over 100 yards in penalties. Nope, they had 10 for 72 yards, I'm surprised. Legacy had 7 flags for 69 yards.  You sure could have fooled me, I guess they did.

Still need to half that penalty number. Tonight was a long game, lots of smoke around the stadium from the forest fires around Jasper, you could smell the smoke all game long.  Didn't get out of there until 10:20 PM. 

Good way to start a season with a win, a little bit of a roller coaster and clunky at times, still I'll take a 31-7 win any time and any day. Just don't have much else to say about it, I mean we almost had 500 yards of offense, Young had 147 yards rushing in only one half of work. Yep, there is a lot to improve on for the weeks ahead. I just hope we can win like this every time we are not playing well. Just think how good we will be when the kids are hitting on all cylinders.  Not a perfect win, and we are not happy about parking the car in the second half, just take the win and move one. There are some big games ahead of this group of kids, and I feel good about them.

P.S., one more thought. Yes, some one please mention this to QB Johnson It's okay to throw the ball away when your in trouble or about to lose 12 yards running out of bounds.  Toss it softly out of bounds beyond the line of scrimmage. Nothing to it, it's easy and could save a lot of unnecessary lost yardage. Johnson is in the learning curve, his first Varsity action and all, he ran for 43 yards, not bad for his first opportunity.  Those were great teaching moments tonight.

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Forney beat Crandall 64-10. They didn't let up in the 3rd quarter.  

North Mesquite 21-5 over North Garland

Lancaster 28 Dallas Skyline  14

Tyler 38  Marshall 36 - in 5 Overtimes

Dallas Kimball 23  West Mesquite 7

McKinney North and Garland play Saturday

FYI - AMC beat Huntsville 23-12

Lancaster is going to be a real winnable game. Skyline is not very good and I expect us to beat AMC just about how we did Legacy tonight. 

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

P.S., one more thought. Yes, some one please mention this to QB Johnson It's okay to throw the ball away when your in trouble or about to lose 12 yards running out of bounds.  Toss it softly out of bounds beyond the line of scrimmage. Nothing to it, it's easy and could save a lot of unnecessary lost yardage. Johnson is in the learning curve, his first Varsity action and all, he ran for 43 yards, not bad for his first opportunity.  Those were great teaching moments tonight.

I like his potential. Hope someone is teaching him how to slide. He is aggressive on every run and doesn't try to avoid unnecessary contact. He has the mindset of Gavin when running the ball, but doesn't have the size. I like the toughness, but we may need you later in the year. So try to stay healthy young man.

We have been talking about the football season approaching for weeks, all the possibilities and looking forward to see how these talented kids get after it.  Seemed like it would never get here, and I always mention to my football friends not to rush the season, because once it gets here, it's like an F-22 taking off.  As I write this, that exact thing has happen, they are already past a scrimmage with Huntsville, an opening game with Tyler Legacy, now they're headed to Nacogdoches.  The season is airborne and climbing, and in just over 2 months we will be able to see if there will be playoffs and an extended season or not.  We wait eight months to watch high school football, and only then get a few weeks of football.   This season is different for me, I'm going to enjoy it, after last year my perspective on many things have changed.  I saw enough last night to know this is a talented Panther team, I'm willing to watch this take it's course. Your not winning district or a playoff game with the first game of the season.  My hope is Phillips is going to be okay, we need him, but if you didn't notice we are deep at the RB position.  Murphy , Hooper and Chinn are pretty good too.

I've already bought tickets for the Nacogdoches game and I'm ready to load up the crew and get over to SFA to watch these Panthers play. I'm just not going to make a stew because we won 31-7 and not 52-7.  A first game that really doesn't count for anything. There are 9 more games to watch, hopefully more, just go out and try to enjoy watching these Lufkin kids play some football. I think they will be fun to watch, and in most games ahead the coaches won't have the luxury of killing the clock in the 2nd half of games.  ;)