2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

This one will get ugly. I’m calling Young going 300 yards and 4 TDS to start the year. 

I believe the Lufkin OL has worked hard, they have a calling this year to get Young about 2000+ yards rushing.

Who are the two Lufkin starters from last year now playing at Corrigan this year? One is said to be a LB and the other 6'5" 240lbs. lineman.  ????? 

Over on Smoaky a CC fan has made that announcement.  

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Who are the two Lufkin starters from last year now playing at Corrigan this year? One is said to be a LB and the other 6'5" 240lbs. lineman.  ????? 

I can't think of anyone thats 6'5 240lbs that started for us last year. Those numbers may be a little off, but I could be wrong. I'm sure we will hear something in the coming days. Won't be hard to notice a 6'5 240lb player missing from practice.

14 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I can't think of anyone thats 6'5 240lbs that started for us last year. Those numbers may be a little off, but I could be wrong. I'm sure we will hear something in the coming days. Won't be hard to notice a 6'5 240lb player missing from practice.

Never like to see a transfer out of the program. If true, would want to understand the circumstances of why and how this would happen so close to the beginning of the season. 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

The LB was at Corrigan for a few weeks but he's back at Lufkin. Actually never unenrolled. I doubt he starts this year. He was on the freshmen team last year. 

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

Idk . But linemen these days are hot commodity!

Everything is so close to the beginning of the season,  it's just not good to hear things like this right now. The players I've heard involved are pretty good players with a big upside to their potential. Don't want to talk about it much and hope things are resolved soon. Thankfully the one mentioned is remaining a PACK player.

WHY transfer from 5A DI to 2A football?  

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Everything is so close to the beginning of the season,  it's just not good to hear things like this right now. The players I've heard involved are pretty good players with a big upside to their potential. Don't want to talk about it much and hope things are resolved soon. Thankfully the one mentioned is remaining a PACK player.

WHY transfer from 5A DI to 2A football?  

Should be focused on the kids present anyway

7 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

Should be focused on the kids present anyway

Good point. The kids who want to be there are getting ready. The other really doesn't change much, just gives someone else an opportunity.

Looking forward to the season. There is just so much people can talk about before the product must be seen for it's face value. I want to see these kids get after it, I have some excitement and expectations for this bunch. 

This heat is tough, unfortunately I chose a project to do that needs to be done by the fall, the heat has taken it's toll on this old guy. So I'm ready for our Panther HS football to begin, followed possibly by some cooler weather. Boy do we need it.

This is a not just a talented group of kids, there are so many I have heard from to who speak highly of there character too. Those two qualities normally add up to great success. Go Pack!

A Re-Birth has occurred. Gentlemen, The Lufkin Sideliners Booster Club will return this season. After a hiatus brought on by the 2020 COVID pandemic, Coach Quick has expressed his desire to have the Boosters get back together again. Please get the word out, first meeting with Coach will be Monday August 28 at 5:30 in the Elmer G. Redd Athletic Complex. Everyone is invited to come to the meeting.

That means anyone reading this post.

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Awesome! People probably don’t remember that his father Coach Quick tried out for the Cowboys as a Punter back in the day. He was booming kicks back in 98-99 and told us the story while he worked with Bradford who went on to Punt for Texas 🤘🏽

I'm looking forward to getting out to practice about the middle of next week to see how things look for the season.  Pads will go on and the guys will get 2 weeks of preparation getting ready for the  Huntsville scrimmage.  Looks like it going to remain boiling hot at least though all next week. 

2023 U I L Rules on Fall practice:

The first five days of practice shall be an acclimatization period for all student-athletes in accordance with the below regulations. All student-athletes who arrive after the first day of practice are required to go through the 5-day acclimatization period.

• First 2-Days
    • ONE Practice allowed.
    • Only t-shirts, shorts, and helmets may be worn, and no contact activities are permitted.
    • Practice: 3-hour time limit with up to a 1-hour break. The 1-hour break is not included as a part of the practice time limit. Total time shall not exceed 4 hours.
    • 1-hour walkthrough allowed in addition to the practice with at least a 2-hour break between the practice and walkthrough.
    • Non-restricted equipment is allowed.
  • Days 3 & 4
    • ONE Practice allowed.
    • Only helmets, shoulders pads, and girdles (shell) allowed, and no person-to-person contact is permitted.
    • Practice: 3-hour time limit with up to a 1-hour break. The 1-hour break is not included as a part of the practice time limit. Total time shall not exceed 4 hours.
    • 1-hour walkthrough allowed in addition to the practice with at least a 2-hour break between the practice and walkthrough.
    • Restricted and non-restricted equipment is allowed.
  • Day 5
    • ONE Practice allowed.
    • Only helmets, shoulders pads, and girdles (shell) allowed.
    • Person-to-person contact is allowed, but full contact is not allowed.

2023 UIL Full Contact Regulations:

Following the 5-day acclimatization period, full pads and full contact are permitted in accordance with the following regulations:

• Practice regulations outside the school year (prior to school starting)
    • 1 Practice - Student-athletes shall not engage in more than three hours of practice activities with up to a 1-hour break. The 1- hour break is not included within the practice time limit on those days during which one practice is conducted.
    • 2 Practices - Student-athletes shall not engage in more than five hours of practice activities on those days during which more than one practice is conducted. On days when more than one practice is conducted, there shall be, at a minimum, two hours of rest/recovery time between the end of one practice and the beginning of the next practice. On those days where more than one practice occurs, full contact is allowed in only one of the two practices. Schools shall not schedule more than one practice on consecutive days and student-athletes shall not participate in multiple practices on consecutive days.
    • The maximum length of any single practice session shall be three hours.
    • During the pre-season, regular season and post season, football players are not allowed to participate in more than ninety (90) minutes of full contact practice per week. See the Football Manual for explanations of full contact.
  • Practice regulations during the school year (once school has started)
    • State law limits schools to no more than eight hours of practice outside of the school day during the school week, per activity. School week is defined as Monday (12:01 AM) to the end of school on the last instructional day of the week (usually Friday). This does not include the athletic period.
    • During the pre-season, regular season and post season, football players are not allowed to participate in more than ninety (90) minutes of full contact practice per week. See the Football Manual for explanations of full contact.

*Full Contact – Any football drill or live game simulation where players are at a “competitive” full-speed pace, and players are taken to the ground.

5A AND 6A SCHOOLS WITH SPRING TRAINING

Date Event or Deadline
August 7 First day of conditioning 
August 12 First day of full contact
August 17 First scrimmage
August 24 Second scrimmage (schools opting for a second scrimmage shall not play during week one)

*Junior Varsity - Sub-varsity football teams can play on Wednesday during Week 1 only if the varsity team plays on Thursday of that same week. 

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

A Re-Birth has occurred. Gentlemen, The Lufkin Sideliners Booster Club will return this season. After a hiatus brought on by the 2020 COVID pandemic, Coach Quick has expressed his desire to have the Boosters get back together again. Please get the word out, first meeting with Coach will be Monday August 28 at 5:30 in the Elmer G. Redd Athletic Complex. Everyone is invited to come to the meeting.

Let’s gooooo!!!! 🔥

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

That’s so funny.  School takes over booster club, hurting feelings and saying  club wasn’t needed.  Now after being gone a few years, they are realizing what you guys did for them and need you to resume those tasks and you now want to run back?   

3 hours ago, mr. b said:

That’s so funny.  School takes over booster club, hurting feelings and saying  club wasn’t needed.  Now after being gone a few years, they are realizing what you guys did for them and need you to resume those tasks and you now want to run back?   

Well , we did a lot of good for sure. Not exactly sure the real reason for the change of heart. Anyway, we are all three years older now, and we really need to get some players parents on board to help support.  I am LONG removed from having any children involved with Lufkin High Sports.  Most of the club guys who were there in 2020 are in the same boat.   So, the club needs to get younger quick or we will all eventually be coming up there on walkers and canes. LOL

FYI - I'm assuming the school will still retain the sponsor rights. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep doing all the leg work to sign them up, it is a lot of work to get that done.  Not sure about anything else at this point. Guess we will find out on the 28th. Don't think it's going to be a complicated return.

DCTF 2023 Lufkin Panther Preview: Not much information here we didn't already know. DCTF picks Lufkin to finish 5th in District 7-5A DI, while Matt Stepp has picked the Panthers to finish 4th in this highly competitive district. DCTF only list 6 players. Personally think there are quite a few other player to watch and take note of this season. 

Coach: Todd Quick -12th year. Lettermen R/L: 24/26. Starters returning O/D: 5/5. 2022: 6-4/3-4 district. Key losses: Aaron McMillan (Ouachita Baptist), Cam Lister (Henderson State)

Players to watch: RB Kedren Young (5-11, 212, 4.5), DB Isaiah Menefee (6-2, 185, 4.5). Top juniors: LB Kaden Hooper (6-0, 1215), DL Zion Williams (6-4, 290, 5.1).

Other prospects: K Nolan Hansard, WR Kriesan Preston, WR Ke’Vondrick Taylor.

2023 notes: Lufkin missing the playoffs didn’t happen for a stretch of 23 seasons from 1998-2020, but the postseason has come and gone minus the Panthers two years in a row. Expect that to change if RB Young (1,666 yards, 19 TDs rushing) continues to blossom into one of the state’s best. QB T.J. Hammond (1,464 yards, 13 TDs passing) has a year of experience under his belt, and the WR combo of Taylor (21-345, 3 TDs receiving) and Preston should help in his development. DB Menefee (67 tackles, 4 PBU, 2 INTs) turned in a solid season, and keep an eye on DL Williams (31 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 TFL), an imposing figure who saw plenty of action as a sophomore last season.

DCTF listed 16 Longview players to watch this season. For Lancaster, they listed 17 players to watch. Forney 12 players.