2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

12 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I agree with you man ,but that is just it, we are too predictable on defense and offense. And Zion just did not make a impact last night. So why you put a kid out there and risk further injury if he not really ready 

That's a good question. I know he wants to play and some of it was they were just doubling him and he couldn't get off the block. Same with Alexander. But honestly in a 3-4 they're really supposed to eat up blocks and the LBs are supposed to make plays and our LBs looked really bad last night. I also think we should have left Menefee at FS. So he can oversee everything. Instead you put him on one side of the field and they just run the other way majority of the time. This was the worst game Lufkin has played all year. They just did not look prepared. I'm about as discouraged as I can be. I still believe they will be much better next season but this year has been a complete disaster. The way Lancaster is playing I don't think we can beat them out for the last playoff spot. If we lose to JT that game won't matter anyway.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

All spring I was told it’s Jimmie’s and joes that win high school games not Xs and Os. So did we get out athleted last night? The coaching and development of this team is a joke. The only player I’ve watched take a step in development the last few years is Young. The line got worse. Poor Zion gets triple teamed because everyone else is blockable. I haven’t really seen us dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides in weeks. The DBs are getting turned around. I’m starting to think the Xs and Os part of football is getting us in trouble. 

For what it's worth I don't think we have better players then McKinney North to where we can over whelm them with talent. Just look at Duncanville. They're about as simple as you can get and they blow teams out because they're just so much better that's what I mean it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's. Last night was on the coaches and the players. Next season is the year for me when the 25 class is all SRs. They will return 15 starters and handful of other kids that played a ton. 

9 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

For what it's worth I don't think we have better players then McKinney North to where we can over whelm them with talent. Just look at Duncanville. They're about as simple as you can get and they blow teams out because they're just so much better that's what I mean it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's. Last night was on the coaches and the players. Next season is the year for me when the 25 class is all SRs. They will return 15 starters and handful of other kids that played a ton. 

Personally I like simple well executed offense and defenses at the high school level. The well executed being the main part. Which I agree comes down on coaching. I still don’t think our kids have been developed athletically and nothing will change my mind on that. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize Preston wasn’t able to be covered and throw it to him. Just frustrating football to watch. 

31 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

That's a good question. I know he wants to play and some of it was they were just doubling him and he couldn't get off the block. Same with Alexander. But honestly in a 3-4 they're really supposed to eat up blocks and the LBs are supposed to make plays and our LBs looked really bad last night. I also think we should have left Menefee at FS. So he can oversee everything. Instead you put him on one side of the field and they just run the other way majority of the time. This was the worst game Lufkin has played all year. They just did not look prepared. I'm about as discouraged as I can be. I still believe they will be much better next season but this year has been a complete disaster. The way Lancaster is playing I don't think we can beat them out for the last playoff spot. If we lose to JT that game won't matter anyway.

Exactly, that is how a three man front works, let the linebackers eat. When you run the a 3-4 those linebackers have too be good enough to  take of business . So is the front three or the four that not getting the  job done ??

12 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Personally I like simple well executed offense and defenses at the high school level. The well executed being the main part. Which I agree comes down on coaching. I still don’t think our kids have been developed athletically and nothing will change my mind on that. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize Preston wasn’t able to be covered and throw it to him. Just frustrating football to watch. 

I agree with all that. 

25 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Last night was more on the players then the coaching. The coaching sucked but they not the one missing tackles and dropping passes. I can't put all that on the coaches last night. At some point you have to have some pride and make a play. Just my thought. 

Right !!

18 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Bingo.  

28 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Last night was more on the players then the coaching. The coaching sucked but they not the one missing tackles and dropping passes. I can't put all that on the coaches last night. At some point you have to have some pride and make a play. Just my thought. 

Your correct to a great degree on both points. 

12 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Exactly, that is how a three man front works, let the linebackers eat. When you run the a 3-4 those linebackers have too be good enough to  take of business . So is the front three or the four that not getting the  job done ??

It looked like it was a collective effort in the stinking it up but our LBs absolutely cost us more then anything last night and the lack of pressure on the QB. You can't just keep sending 3 if you're not getting home. It's way to much time to ask our DBs to cover. I honestly didn't think the corners played bad. Yeah they gave up a few plays but that's just football. They tackle well and cover well for the most part. I put majority of the blame on the LBs just playing bad and we should of never moved Menefee from safety. Our FS play is bad. I think we should start #25 Waters back there. That kid is a football player. Overall a lot of blame to go around last night 

22 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

It looked like it was a collective effort in the stinking it up but our LBs absolutely cost us more then anything last night and the lack of pressure on the QB. You can't just keep sending 3 if you're not getting home. It's way to much time to ask our DBs to cover. I honestly didn't think the corners played bad. Yeah they gave up some a few plays but that's just football. The tackle well and cover well for the most part. I put majority of the blame on the LBs just playing bad and we should of never moved Menefee from safety. Our FS play is bad. I think we should start #25 Waters back there. That kid is a football player. Overall a lot of blame to go around last night 

The secondary I watched did not cover all that well last night, they had 2 or 3 pass interference calls.  Let a simple slant go for a TD, got sucked in for a HB pass for TD. The Powell kids from MN had a field day catching passes.  I'm just disgusted and tired of losing and talking about the same old problems year after year.  The player cast may change, but the same losing key games remains, and fixing continued problems at mid season remains, that all continues year after year, and that is coaching.

I’m just tired of losing man. Next year won’t be any different. It’s the same team with some new starters sprinkled in here and there. Same staff. Same results. This team might even finish 5-5 a game worse than last years team. So if this group is so talented, that leaves one thing as the problem. Or they ain’t as good as once believed. 

I don't know if any of you really read what I put here.  Have tried to be tactful in my approach to everything because I do value the kids playing and their opportunity to do so. It's a right as a high school athlete.  However this losing is getting out of hand, and if the Lufkin administration doesn't seem to mind then that is on them and I will remember them in their next election to the board.

That was a big important game last night, Abe Martin was less that half full, that should tell you something right there. There are many season ticket holder that are just not showing up. I'm guessing 3500 last night at most.  I was told before the season that over 1600 season tickets did not get renewed for 2023.  That should tell people in charge something.

Lack of attendance hurts the Band Boosters because they don't see the concession stand sales, it's how they fund raise for the band and their activities. It hurts the Football Mothers Club because selling programs is a fund raiser for them. Not many sponsors on the big LED board this year either.

Wait until next year, I know several more people who have told me they are not renewing their season tickets. It's just going to be the Mamma's and Daddy's of the football players, band students, drill team and cheerleaders there to watch.  Maybe 2500 in an 11,000 seat stadium.   That is what not winning football games mean in Lufkin Texas.

8 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I’m just tired of losing man. Next year won’t be any different. It’s the same team with some new starters sprinkled in here and there. Same staff. Same results. This team might even finish 5-5 a game worse than last years team. So if this group is so talented, that leaves one thing as the problem. Or they ain’t as good as once believed. 

I,m kind of thinking in that same line as are the kids as talented as we are lead to think, or is that there are many of them just going through the motion and are just frustrated with the program in general

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I don't know if any of you really read what I put here.  Have tried to be tactful in my approach to everything because I do value the kids playing and their opportunity to do so. It's a right as a high school athlete.  However this losing is getting out of hand, and if the Lufkin administration doesn't seem to mind then that is on them and I will remember them in their next election to the board.

That was a big game last night, Abe Martin was leas that half full, that should tell you something right there.  I was told before the season that over 1600 season tickets did not get renewed for 2023.  That should tell people in charge something.

Lack of attendance hurts the Band Boosters because they don't see in the concession stand, it's how they fund raise for the band and their activities. It hurts the Football Mothers Club because selling programs is a fund raiser for them.

Wait until next year, I know several more people who have told me they are not renewing their season tickets. It's just going to be the Mamma's and Daddy's of the football players, band students, drill team and cheerleaders there to watch.  Maybe 2500 in an 11,000 seat stadium.   That is what not winning football games mean in Lufkin Texas.

that's just what I stated in a earlier comment. Lufkin fans are tired of seeing the same old results. My attendance has fell completing off .I went too two games last year and so far none this year. i watch the streaming sitting in my pj's. Gave up my season tickets a few yrs ago. Until this staff is gone I will continue to stay home, old Abe will not be seeing Packfan49

10 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Gave up my season tickets a few yrs ago. Until this staff is gone I will continue to stay home, old Abe will not be seeing Packfan49

Same here. I haven’t been to one since 2019. I planned on going to home games only then I was like ya know what, screw it lol.. I promised myself I wouldn’t go back until a new staff was in place. 

I have a question for anybody that was there, was there someone yelling and cussing at the coaches last night toward the end in the stands? I was told a group of people lost their shyt at the end and it was quiet enough they undoubtedly heard them. But, idk how true it is. 

5 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Same here. I haven’t been to one since 2019. I planned on going to home games only then I was like ya know what, screw it lol.. I promised myself I wouldn’t go back until a new staff was in place. 

I have a question for anybody that was there, was there someone yelling and cussing at the coaches last night toward the end in the stands? I was told a group of people lost their shyt at the end and it was quiet enough they undoubtedly heard them. But, idk how true it is. 

It is true, and the crowd wasn't that big and had cleared out somewhat, so you could hear them.  I think a school official walked over there, not sure they even spoke to them.  I could not hear who it was directed to exactly, but I have an idea. There are a lot of unhappy player parents and fans, and justly so.   

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

It is true, and the crowd wasn't that big and had cleared out somewhat, so you could hear them.  I think a school official walked over there, not sure they even spoke to them.  I could not hear who it was directed to exactly, but I have an idea. There are a lot of unhappy player parents and fans, and justly so.   

Rightfully so. I don’t condone that kind of behavior in front of kids and other innocent people, but I’m glad people are voicing their opinions and getting their point across. Sometimes you just have to get stupid to be heard. It is what it is. 

8 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I,m kind of thinking in that same line as are the kids as talented as we are lead to think, or is that there are many of them just going through the motion and are just frustrated with the program in general

At this point it may not matter. Although it may be a little bit of both. I'm certain the kids are frustrated about the losing. This was a confident bunch coming into varsity. A lot of them had success on that awesome freshman team. But process and development doesn't stop there. You start to go up against programs that continue the process at the varsity level. And have good coaches that put in schemes to highlight their playmakers. Lufkin offense looks about the same as it did 2 years ago. Not much changed, even though the talent at the wideout position is much improved. Preston has always been threat. They wait until the 7th game of the year to finally get him involved. He could've been an asset last year too. But he was waisted on the sidelines in favor of upperclassmen. Kevo Taylor is not far behind. That kid is electric and should have more touches. Murphy should just be the extra icing on the cake in my opinion. Throw in Kedren and a good OC would have most defenses in a bind every game. Going Preston is the main reason the offense put up numbers this game. 

I suspect we will see more of the same next year. Green is losing his get out of jail card with Kedren. He has leaned on that kid for the past 3 years. I hate to think about what the offense will look like next year without him. You will also be breaking a new starting Qb. I would feel better about him if he had more meaningful reps this year. Think he will have to take his lumps the first half of next season. He could be something special by his senior year if he continues to development.  Of course a lot of this depends on how well the O-line comes together. Recent history should tell us all we need to know about the chances of that happening.

The defense still has a chance to be really good. Not sure how effective they will be, if they have to stay on the field too long. I think the offense will take a big step back next year. You lose a lot of experience with TJ and Kedren leaving.

42 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I think they are talented. They aren’t developed and that’s starting to show. I remember watching these groups in junior high. They could play. Problem is they stayed the same and the other teams grew. Start looking at the athletes that grow from year to year and ask yourself what is the difference between them and others. 

5 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Rightfully so. I don’t condone that kind of behavior in front of kids and other innocent people, but I’m glad people are voicing their opinions and getting their point across. Sometimes you just have to get stupid to be heard. It is what it is. 

It's not the first time this has happened. I remember someone verbally going at the coaches after a playoff lost to JT at Rose. It was one of the years we had Kordell at Qb. 

19 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yep, the noisy wheel gets the grease !!

20 minutes ago, timeout! said:

At this point it may not matter. Although it may be a little bit of both. I'm certain the kids are frustrated about the losing. This was a confident bunch coming into varsity. A lot of them had success on that awesome freshman team. But process and development doesn't stop there. You start to go up against programs that continue the process at the varsity level. And have good coaches that put in schemes to highlight their playmakers. Lufkin offense looks about the same as it did 2 years ago. Not much changed, even though the talent at the wideout position is much improved. Preston has always been threat. They wait until the 7th game of the year to finally get him involved. He could've been an asset last year too. But he was waisted on the sidelines in favor of upperclassmen. Kevo Taylor is not far behind. That kid is electric and should have more touches. Murphy should just be the extra icing on the cake in my opinion. Throw in Kedren and a good OC would have most defenses in a bind every game. Going Preston is the main reason the offense put up numbers this game. 

I suspect we will see more of the same next year. Green is losing his get out of jail card with Kedren. He has leaned on that kid for the past 3 years. I hate to think about what the offense will look like next year without him. You will also be breaking a new starting Qb. I would feel better about him if he had more meaningful reps this year. Think he will have to take his lumps the first half of next season. He could be something special by his senior year if he continues to development.  Of course a lot of this depends on how well the O-line comes together. Recent history should tell us all we need to know about the chances of that happening.

The defense still has a chance to be really good. Not sure how effective they will be, if they have to stay on the field too long. I think the offense will take a big step back next year. You lose a lot of experience with TJ and Kedren leaving.

Yes if we lose to Tyler, Hammond and others that are playing should be benched and let the one's coming next year get the experience. Young included,he has nothing to prove ND is waiting for him. Playing him to break records could cost him. One panther dad told that ND did not care if  Young did not play another down.

20 minutes ago, timeout! said:

It's not the first time this has happened. I remember someone verbally going at the coaches after a playoff lost to JT at Rose. It was one of the years we had Kordell at Qb. 

The problem is I don't think they care, like water off a duck's back. Those guys are protected, there is no one (important that makes decisions) breathing down their neck to do better or else. The system to build a winning program here is broke and the guys in charge can't fix it. He may say or think he can, but his results since 2017 does nothing to prove that as fact, and facts don't lie.