2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Kedren Young is by far the best RB prospect to come out of Lufkin in my lifetime. I can go back to Denvis Manns so I can't comment on Eric Curl other then he was pretty good from my understanding. Kedren is a future NFL RB if he stays healthy. That's what those kind of kids look like in HS. I told Chad that Kedren was a better RB then Jorvorskie but Jorvorskie was a better football player if that makes sense. He is going to be a star at Notre Dame.

I still got to give Lane the nod, that guy put fear into teams. All time td leader at A&M. I was in the DFW area back during his time and after he was at A&M . When they knew I was from Lufkin, his nameĀ  and Dez were the first to come up.Kedren is a great back, but I don't think he will have the same impact at ND as Lane did at A&M

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Itā€™s Young hands down in my opinion. I watched both. Lane had things he was good at at the college level but he wasnā€™t a complete back. Iā€™m not saying Young is going to set Notre Dames touchdown record but if I was building an offense Young is the back Iā€™m pickingĀ 

33 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I still got to give Lane the nod, that guy put fear into teams. All time td leader at A&M. I was in the DFW area back during his time and after he was at A&M . When they knew I was from Lufkin, his nameĀ  and Dez were the first to come up.Kedren is a great back, but I don't think he will have the same impact at ND as Lane did at A&M

I think when Kedren is done at Notre Dame he is going to be some teams featured back on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

Itā€™s Young hands down in my opinion. I watched both. Lane had things he was good at at the college level but he wasnā€™t a complete back. Iā€™m not saying Young is going to set Notre Dames touchdown record but if I was building an offense Young is the back Iā€™m pickingĀ 

So what was it that Lane could not do? He could catch out of the backfield, he could play qb if had too "ie the Woodlands game" he had speed for a 260 poundĀ  back, he could block ,and run right over you if need be.... The only thing that Young has on him is lateral quickness, which most of the time he did not need. Outlaw said he could play any position on the team..

6 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

So what was it that Lane could not do? He could catch out of the backfield, he could play qb if had too "ie the Woodlands game" he had speed for a 260 poundĀ  back, he could block ,and run right over you if need be.... The only thing that Young has on him is lateral quickness, which most of the time he did not need. Outlaw said he could play any position on the team..

Young could very well play QB and wouldā€™ve been a D1 linebacker if he stayed on that route, Young also has speed,footwork etc on himĀ 

Just now, Jack Walker said:

Young could very well play QB and wouldā€™ve been a D1 linebacker if he stayed on that route, Young also has speed,footwork etc on himĀ 

I think I acknowledgeĀ  that with the lateral quickness statement...I still take LaneĀ Ā ā˜ŗļøĀ  I 've seen Lane run away from people ,and no not as fast as Kedren

25 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Iā€™m looking to the college level. Agree on high school. I feel moving forward Young has the higher ceiling. As an Aggie Iā€™m a huge Lane fan but I feel Young has the better skill set in the long term.Ā 
Ā 

we are also splitting hairs over Lufkin greats. Donā€™t think there is a wrong answer. Just personal preferenceĀ 

1 minute ago, Pack13 said:

Iā€™m looking to the college level. Agree on high school. I feel moving forward Young has the higher ceiling. As an Aggie Iā€™m a huge Lane fan but I feel Young has the better skill set in the long term.Ā 

I am not taking anything away from Young ,I wish him all the successĀ  at ND , but you being a Aggie have to know what Lane did. The all time TD leader and Sherman did not let he start his senior year because of him weight..... Let'sĀ  compare in a few years their accomplishment's if the LordĀ  allows usĀ Ā 

53 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I am not taking anything away from Young ,I wish him all the successĀ  at ND , but you being a Aggie have to know what Lane did. The all time TD leader and Sherman did not let he start his senior year because of him weight..... Let'sĀ  compare in a few years their accomplishment's if the LordĀ  allows usĀ Ā 

Nothing Iā€™d enjoy more than coming back to this and discussing who is better.Ā 

I think Lane was fun to watch no doubt, but he was a part of some really good teams and that can blur your memory some. When you think Lane, you think of the program success during those days. Kedren is better imo. Like PN said, that kid has what it takes to be playing on sundays at some point. Heā€™s played behind some of the worst O-lines weā€™ve had and still does what he does lol

Ā 

Fwiw. My all-time favorite rushing performance was IsaiahĀ Phillips against Spring Westfield in 2017.Ā 

People forget that Lane was our starting punter one year. And lead the district in average point yardage. Lane had some of the quickest feet you will see for big man. And was just as light on them. And could catch with the best of them. Dude was talented. I always felt he couldā€™ve been a day 1 or 2 draft pick had he kept his weight in check at A&M.Ā 

7 hours ago, timeout! said:

People forget that Lane was our starting punter one year. And lead the district in average point yardage. Lane had some of the quickest feet you will see for big man. And was just as light on them. And could catch with the best of them. Dude was talented. I always felt he couldā€™ve been a day 1 or 2 draft pick had he kept his weight in check at A&M.Ā 

Yes absolutely ,he was all of that. Lane would have been draftedĀ  if he had been serious about his conditioning, he just did not likeĀ  working out and eating right. I seen him at the Wille Ross relays compete,in the big man 100m. There was a man from LV his som was in the race and was bragging on how his son was going to win. His son was about 6'2 250 and Lane that time was about 265. I told him too not count Lane out. Lane pick him off at the 70 m mark.

Now Lane's son is a standout 9th gradeĀ  baseball player and A&M has already offered him a full ride

48 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Saw Lane from a short distance recently at a game and hardly recognized him. He still likes eating what he wants and not working out. Enjoying life.

Yes , two broken legs in the NFL did a toll on him. I talked too him and he says he's still has pain from those injuries, and yeah he's over 300 now. He has a gymĀ  south of Houston now,can't recall what town it was in.

AsĀ  I stated earlier his son is a 9th grader in Ft Worth and a standout AAU baseball player. Many schools have already start courting him, but he said he wants too keep the Aggie tradition.Ā 

Many of our former Panther greats end up living elsewhere, therefore their children grow up and play at another school besides Lufkin.Ā  The last son of a former Panther I remember playing here was Caleb Berry.Ā  This year we have Jordan Booker, his father Elijah played back in the early 2000s. He also had a son play and graduate from Temple.Ā  Isaiah Menefee may be since there have been several Menefee's who played at Lufkin.

Maybe there are others, I'm not aware of them.

2 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

Yes absolutely ,he was all of that. Lane would have been draftedĀ  if he had been serious about his conditioning, he just did not likeĀ  working out and eating right. I seen him at the Wille Ross relays compete,in the big man 100m. There was a man from LV his som was in the race and was bragging on how his son was going to win. His son was about 6'2 250 and Lane that time was about 265. I told him too not count Lane out. Lane pick him off at the 70 m mark.

Now Lane's son is a standout 9th gradeĀ  baseball player and A&M has already offered him a full ride

And that's why I have Kedren over Lane as a RB. Kedren puts in the work as far as conditioning and lifting and just has a higher ceiling as a RB. He's going to break Lane rushing record in essentially 11 less games. I think Lane was the better football player but as a pure RB I don't think Lane ever had a chance other than FB in the NFL. Jumbo RBs are a thing of the past now. It's all about speed. Remember Jamal Charles was the other RB in that class and his game just translates so much better in the Pros. Same for Kedren. I would rank Lane a head of Kedren on the all time Lufkin list but he's not the better RB prospect imo. I know we're splitting hairs but it's the off week and we don't have anything better to do šŸ˜‚

29 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Many of our former Panther greats end up living elsewhere, therefore their children grow up and play at another school besides Lufkin.Ā  The last son of a former Panther I remember playing here was Caleb Berry.Ā  This year we have Jordan Booker, his father Elijah played back in the early 2000s. He also had a son play and graduate from Temple.Ā  Isaiah Menefee may be since there have been several Menefee's who played at Lufkin.

Maybe there are others, I'm not aware of them.

Something tells me you guys wanted the one in Temple šŸ˜‚. They're 1-4 right now without him and Taurean York who just got SEC freshmen of the week for leading the Aggies in tackles. I think there has been more former players with kids that played but just not the big time star kids. Trey Crain son played last year but he wasn't a D1 kid. I'm sure they're a few more. Quinn Holeman son was a DE last year but once again he wasn't a D1 kid.Ā 

26 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

And that's why I have Kedren over Lane as a RB. Kedren puts in the work as far as conditioning and lifting and just has a higher ceiling as a RB. He's going to break Lane rushing record in essentially 11 less games. I think Lane was the better football player but as a pure RB I don't think Lane ever had a chance other than FB in the NFL. Jumbo RBs are a thing of the past now. It's all about speed. Remember Jamal Charles was the other RB in that class and his game just translates so much better in the Pros. Same for Kedren. I would rank Lane a head of Kedren on the all time Lufkin list but he's not the better RB prospect imo. I know we're splitting hairs but it's the off week and we don't have anything better to do šŸ˜‚

That's the great thingĀ  about being a Panther fan ,we all have our opinions. I agree that young has a better chance on the NFL level, but only because Lane just did like too give up the food and condition himselfšŸ˜‚Ā We had great players here and only one Championship to show for it. As much as I don't care for this staff , Outlaw bears some of it also.And that is no disrespect to him, but we should have had at the very least two or three more titles.....GO PACK

30 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Something tells me you guys wanted the one in Temple šŸ˜‚. They're 1-4 right now without him and Taurean York who just got SEC freshmen of the week for leading the Aggies in tackles. I think there has been more former players with kids that played but just not the big time star kids. Trey Crain son played last year but he wasn't a D1 kid. I'm sure they're a few more. Quinn Holeman son was a DE last year but once again he wasn't a D1 kid.Ā 

Was York that dominant in high school at Temple ? Ā I think itā€™s just amazing how he has stepped into a starter role at linebacker at a SEC School. Ā 

3 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

Outlaw bears some of it also.And that is no disrespect to him, but we should have had at the very least two or three more titles.....GO PACK

We don't talk about this much because of the run that started in 1998 and ended 2006 in Cy Falls against Round Rock. The program has never been the same since that game. Lufkin between 1995-2006 was 26- 9 in playoff games. From 2007 through 2022 the Panthers are 7 -14 in playoff games. In Outlaws final five years at Lufkin, between 2007 - 2011 his playoff record was 1- 5. Quick's playoff record at Lufkin since 2012 is 6-9. Lufkin fans have only hadĀ  2 decent playoff appearences in the last 15 years. We've been in the ditch a long time.

Ā