2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

9 minutes ago, Jon Moxon said:

Defense looked great last night. They will keep us in games.

Did anyone see the DC faint on the field tonight? I missed it but my buddy told me he saw it and DC got right back up. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened  

We saw him fall down, get up, someone tried to check on him and he walked away. Could not determined what had caused the fall at the time. Sure hope he is okay.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case you didn't notice last night.  A&M Consolidated had two players ejected. Part of the new U I L rule that went into effect in 2023.  This applies to all other sports as well. They are going to clamp down on players berating officials. One of the ejections last night was for that type infraction.  The other was an AMC player taking exception to good blocking and throwing some punches. 

This reflected in the penalties issued to both teams.  Lufkin had 131 yards of penalties last week against Nacogdoches. They did a good job of cleaning that up this week.

Lufkin had 5 penalties for 50 yards, while AMC had 16 penalties for 156 yards.

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just in case you didn't notice last night.  A&M Consolidated had two players ejected. Part of the new U I L rule that went into effect in 2023.  This applies to all other sports as well. They are going to clamp down on players berating officials. One of the ejections last night was for that type infraction.  The other was an AMC player taking exception to good blocking and throwing some punches. 

This reflected in the penalties issued to both teams.  Lufkin had 131 yards of penalties last week against Nacogdoches. They did a good job of cleaning that up this week.

Lufkin had 5 penalties for 50 yards, while AMC had 16 penalties for 156 yards.

The second player that got ejected, was throwing haymakers at our lineman. Dude completely lost it and assaulted our player while he was on the ground. Glad we got out of this one with no serious injuries. 

33 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I'm not saying they're not good but Jesus Christ they not just going to show up and beat us

The Lobo are like us, they play the meat of their schedule early. Lufkin, then Lancaster and Forney on the road separated by an open week.  Longview is ranked #2 for a reason, no one here is saying anything different about the top quality of their team. These Lufkin kids remember last season, it's on their mind headed into next week. They want to play well. That's all I'm saying, don't think our kids will back down much this year.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I'm not saying they're not good but Jesus Christ they not just going to show up and beat us

One thing I will say that's different this year. The Lobos won't bully this Panther defensive group, they play with a purposeful attitude.

The other prospective is the Lobos don't want to look at their own issues.  Control the clock, don't have turnovers, play smart, cut down on penalties.  Something they haven't fully done all year, so miraculously that becomes perfect this Friday. 

Took a look at the season stats thread. Our back up Qb having more rush attempts than Gavin is a bit concerning. Unless he's been banged up, 12 touches on the year is inexcusable. I can understand holding back certain formations or plays. But not giving him a chance to run or catch the ball is not helping our team. He's been mostly used as a blocker the few snaps he has had, which is also needed. But not the full package I was expecting. 

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

Took a look at the season stats thread. Our back up Qb having more rush attempts than Gavin is a bit concerning. Unless he's been banged up, 12 touches on the year is inexcusable. I can understand holding back certain formations or plays. But not giving him a chance to run or catch the ball is not helping our team. He's been mostly used as a blocker the few snaps he has had, which is also needed. But not the full package I was expecting. 

Taking a look at who is running the offense, and there is your answer. When you look back over a period of years, there was players that made the staff look good,but when you only got maybe one kid that's a stud the coaching can be exposed. We have a bunch of good kids, but we don't have the Reggie's, the Dez's the Lane's the Coutee's etc, that could take over a game. Young is that type but the O line has too play better soon. Guys this is just my opinion

1 hour ago, Packfan49 said:

Taking a look at who is running the offense, and there is your answer. When you look back over a period of years, there was players that made the staff look good,but when you only got maybe one kid that's a stud the coaching can be exposed. We have a bunch of good kids, but we don't have the Reggie's, the Dez's the Lane's the Coutee's etc, that could take over a game. Young is that type but the O line has too play better soon. Guys this is just my opinion

Nothing new about our OC doing that, been doing it since 2003.

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

I knew this conversation would surface after Young carried the ball 32 times last Friday. How does the O look different to you than it did 5 years ago, 12 years?, or 20 years ago? When your butt cheeks get tight and nothing else you call seems to be working, you just ride your biggest horse. So how's your day going? LOL

1 hour ago, Packfan49 said:

Gavin is one of our better athletes. A possible P5 kid by some estimates. And would have to agree based on what I've seen. He not some kid in over his head when out there. He has broken tackles and made plays when given the CHANCE to do so. This not me just saying or thinking this, but coach Quick too. He was quoted saying that Gavin can be used as weapon. Well there hasn't been much use as far as I can see. Nothing wrong with using your stud RB to make plays. No one will argue against him getting the lions share of carries. But lets help him out by sharing some of the work load. Gavin is not some 5'3 175lb scat back who can't handle a larger work load. The kid has been grossly under utilized by this staff up to this point. 

31 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I knew this conversation would surface after Young carried the ball 32 times last Friday. How does the O look different to you than it did 5 years ago, 12 years?, or 20 years ago? When your butt cheeks get tight and nothing else you call seems to be working, you just ride your biggest horse. So how's your day going? LOL

I just shake my head when I see the numbers. Our back up Qb with more rush attempts than our 6'2 250lb back that has shown the ability to make plays. I don't have the numbers, but I'm willing to bet the backups have played more snaps than Gavin, when you consider them playing nearly full halves of two games. 

The O'line is what it is at this point. I think they are much improved from previous years. But like Kedren, Gavin has the ability to compensate for some of that. He doesn't have the lateral quickness or speed of Young. But he is every bit as powerful and has the ability break through tackles if given a little room. Doesn't have to be a Longview size hole to run through. Just enough to get him rolling. He is averaging 7.2 yards a carry right now. 

I'm all for the passing game doing it's part when teams stack the box.  But there are some games/teams that you will just have to punch someone in the face and run the ball down their throat. Young and Phillip together could really wear down a team. At least thats my vision on how it could go. I'm not the coach, so let me get off my soap box and just enjoy the show. lol.

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

Gavin has been banged up a little bit. Most of the backup QB carries have came in junk time. I wouldn't put to much stock in this. 

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS NON-DISTRICT:
1. Forney (3-0)
2. Lufkin (3-0)
3. Tyler (3-0)
4. Longview (2-1)
5. McKinney North (2-1)
6. West Mesquite (2-1)
7. Lancaster (1-2)
8. North Mesquite (1-2)

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Gavin has been banged up a little bit. Most of the backup QB carries have came in junk time. I wouldn't put to much stock in this. 

IMO there is more on the way for Phillips. It's going to be okay. Gavin is the #2 in the 1-2 punch with Young.  You need to remember these last three games really meant nothing, they were only preparation for district, where they do count in a big way. 

As far as I know, Gavin has been a QB since 8th grade, now he's a full time RB for the 1st time, I would assume he has working pretty hard on that since before last Spring.  I'm sure he and Kedren have talked about technique.  It's going to be okay, I'm not worried one bit about the talent of these Panther kids. Not anything. My reservations lie elsewhere, maybe in preparing them for that ultimate success. If you allow these guys to really get after it, there is no telling what they will accomplish. Lay it on the line and let them go.

Nothing else much to say, Longview in Longview is tough, has been for years, nothing new here. DCTF will have them at least 20-25 point favorites over Lufkin. DCTF has Longview is Ranked #2, Lufkin #44 last week. Longview is picked to win district, Lufkin picked to finish #5 by DCTF and #4 by Matt Stepp.  Whatever the Panthers end up doing in Longview Friday night is a win - win, there's not one bit of pressure on Lufkin. If we lose, then they were expected to by everyone. So just go in there, pull out all stops, lay everything on the line. No harm in it, there's nothing to lose here and everything to gain IMO.

"The only thing to fear, is fear itself" - Winston Churchill

8 hours ago, timeout! said:

Gavin is one of our better athletes. A possible P5 kid by some estimates. And would have to agree based on what I've seen. He not some kid in over his head when out there. He has broken tackles and made plays when given the CHANCE to do so. This not me just saying or thinking this, but coach Quick too. He was quoted saying that Gavin can be used as weapon. Well there hasn't been much use as far as I can see. Nothing wrong with using your stud RB to make plays. No one will argue against him getting the lions share of carries. But lets help him out by sharing some of the work load. Gavin is not some 5'3 175lb scat back who can't handle a larger work load. The kid has been grossly under utilized by this staff up to this point. 

Exactly