2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

“There’s two or three different kinds of playoff teams.”  “There’s those who get there and spend all the time congratulating themselves and patting themselves on the back. They won’t last long. Then there’s those who get there, but it’s a beatdown, Man, that's not it either, or you get ready to play your 14th game… Even though it ought to be the most exciting time in your life, you’re a little bit tired, and you just can’t keep on keepin’ on.

Then there’s the group that is going to come in and brace themselves for the long haul and clock in and clock out every day. It doesn’t mean they’re going to be [champions], but they got the best chance to win. We’ need to be working hard and raising our kids’ awareness level. We’ve got to be in that third group.”

Plus, Tradition is should be used to connect each team versus divide them.

Being consistent and setting high standards for everyone is also important. I think winning becomes a habit when everything is clicking. You'll stay afloat even during the down years. I wonder if there is much tradition left in Lufkin? There was a time, when each new group new what it meant to wear that Panther jersey. It came with the expectations of long playoff runs and never give up attitude. We haven't been consistent enough to get anything going. Nothing to be passed down from one group to the next. 

Maybe that begins to change this year. It won't be long before we all find out. I went back and watched all the games between Lufkin and Longview's Freshmen, JV and Varsity. I saw the same thing in all three games. Better blocking, execution, play calling, and overall more aggressive. Not more talented, just better coached and overall better ran program from top to bottom. King talks about being consistent for the last decade. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

You about to have a busy year. Will you be able to make any games?

Will make it down for the game Texas and OU weekend and take my son to that game. Will try to make or down for another one flights from Seattle can get expensive. 

13 minutes ago, pack98 said:

You could just live in that place. Add dorms and your set.  The money these schools are able to generate with these huge bonds is amazing.  That's the positive side of tremendous growth into a community like Prosper, which I remember as a sleepy farm town in the 1980s.

https://www.lufkingametime.com/broadcast

Lufkin Gametime will have all the broadcast of the Panther games like last year, will have access to ticket purchases and game highlights. 

The Lufkin ISD and JAM Digital Media are in year #2 to work together to this end.  This is good for the Panther fans, this was needed for many years before this and we are happy that this continues for the 2nd year and hopefully beyond. The existence of the Lufkin Panther Sports site came into existence 22 years ago was because my son saw a need, we filled the need, he moved on and I continued until 2012. Then Lee Miller/MSGPR took on the reigns and continued adding Lufkin Panther Sports Facebook and Lufkin Panther Sports Twitter pages.  I stayed on as an voluntary monitor until present day. Whenever Lee thinks it's time to ride off into the sunset with things,  guess I'll be ready too.  Have made a little plan in my head, and it has everything to do with this group of current Panther players.  I would like to continue to cover these kids at least through the 2024 season.  After the 2024 season, an adios la gente would not bother me at that point. Plus much depends on my health status in regards to everything in my life.

This FORUM where our fans can come to openly speak and give opinions will still exist here, as long as MSGPR desires it to be here. Will still work on game and season stats, and other pertinent or current time information. It will continue be here, as it always has been, covering new updates  in real time. Thankfully, JAM Digital Media is set up to continue with the LISD to do top notch media coverage, and it's great for the Panther fans.  

To be honest, I'm sort of tired, it's has not been as enjoyable as it once was, especially these last few years. Hey, it's been a voluntary endeavor all of these years anyway, you got what you paid for LOL. Also, and I mention this briefly, there is some animosity from a few in the district about how and what we say and post here.  Mainly because it's not under their control what is said here, and they do want to control the dialog.  Anyway, that's not for me to worry about, and allow Lee Miller to handle all the important stuff, I just monitor, that is the easy part, and you guys commenting on the site always make it interesting and fun. Someday, I'll miss that part of it. Life is always in phases, we pass through phases in our life, nothing stays the same, just think about that so I won't need to explain.  You know that's right because you live life too. This has been one of my many phases, and for the most part been a great experience.  Looking forward to the 2023 season, it's about here and will go quickly once it begins. Lets see what happens. Go Pack!

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Also, and I mention this briefly, there is some animosity from a few in the district about how and what we say and post here.  Mainly because it's not under their control what is said

Boo hoo. They should worry about paying 50K for something as stupid as a prince tribute band or the amount of vapes these students have on campus than what we say on a public forum lol priorities smh. 

However I do appreciate all you’ve done PA. I doubt anyone within the district cares 🤣

Not concerned about the small entanglements of life right now, or how others perceive a situation. I'm quite comfortable in my own skin,  I don't feel threatened, or need credit heaped on me, like some that seem to want credit for everything they do. You know, the old saying, folks can glad in the same pants they got mad in.

In our representation of thoughts here, there's been a lot of truth to what we say, and that's the very thing that irks folks. There's realization too that there there has been many times we've been over the top and really out there with talk about things, will never deny that. However, I think that's how people hash things out to eliminate all the junk and clutter, in order to get to the truth. Eventually the truth always comes out anyway.  It's all good,  sometimes you just have to shake your head and move on, it has to be that way. 

In the long run, everything I do here has always been about the kids playing ball. I've never been competing with anyone or even thinking about it, this thing I do here, is not about me at all.  I'm still old school in many ways, and must be very careful about my response to things now.  Hey, just wanting to see a great year of Panther football, how ever that turns out. It will be whatever  it turns out in the end, and next year too, and the year after that. Time stands still for nothing and no none.  So enjoy your life, enjoy this season the best you can and move on, let's not make things overly complicated. Go Pack!

DID YOU KNOW? If #UILRealignment happened this year, the following schools would likely join 6A:

Alvin, Manvel, Lamar Fulshear, Lamar Foster, Comal Canyon, Judson Wagner, Comal Smithson Valley, Magnolia, Dallas Adams, Houston Wisdom, Longview, Forney, Northwest, Sherman and Lancaster.

Thought this was an interesting topic that is affecting all Texas HS Sports right now. Some of you might be interested in being an official.

The shortage of Texas high school football officials continues to drop at an alarming rate. The Texas Association of Sports Officials is trying to appeal to younger prospects like Midlothian's Dade Manley.
Kensley WaltersKensley WaltersAug 13 11:54 am

While baseball might be the sport Dade Manley stars in at Midlothian High, his passion for football wouldn’t allow him to stay off the gridiron. So, he found his way on as an official.

“I started officiating last August.” Manley, an incoming senior, said. “I love football and have been surrounded by it for a long time.”

His lifelong exposure to football had a significant impact on his decision to attempt officiating in the first place. Dade Manley's father, Durwood Manley, has worked as a sports official for more than 30 years. The elder Manley worked with the NFL for five years as a replay official after officiating other sports like basketball and football.

“At Lubbock Christian University, I had a professor who was a college official,” Durwood said. “After that, I gave it a try and 32 seasons later I’m still doing it.”

Even if the Manley family has a strong enthusiasm for football and sports officiating, that doesn’t seem to be the case around Texas.

According to the Texas Association of Sports Officials, from 2017 to 2021, the association lost 12 percent of its officials, or roughly 2,000 members.

Sports officials leave for a wide variety of reasons. Many of them decided not to return after the pandemic in 2020. But that was then. What about now?

“There’s a lot of reasons why officials leave the profession and it’s gotten worse over the last 10 years.” Durwood said. “There are more officials over the age of 50, many of them age out. Then the population has been growing, which means new schools and more kids, but not enough officials to cover these new schools.”

A 2017 study done by the National Association of Sports Officials showed that 57 percent of people believe that treatment of sports officials is getting worse.

This year, measures have been taken to protect officials and make an effort to get more people back into the profession.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed House Bill 2484 on June 13, 2023, which prohibits any behavior that would threaten the safety of a sports official or referee.

Verbal abuse of sports officials has been going on for years. And there have been precautions taken to support our sports officials. But the real question is what do people need to know before getting into the profession and how do we bring people back to it?

The age demographic for Texas sports officials is typically around 50. According to TASO, about 10 percent of football officials are under 30. A younger generation of officials is needed now more than ever. TASO has been attempting to reach more young officials like Dade through their START (Students Today are Referees Tomorrow) program.

“I did not work through the program because I was recruited by my dad,” Dade said. “But it’s a great program where kids with interest in becoming officials can submit their names and TASO will contact them with information on local chapters that can help them get started. It’s a great way for players to stay involved with the game.”

“Not only is it a great way for kids who stop playing but love football to stay connected to the game, but also to make a little bit of money,” Durwood said.

If you do decide to give it a try, be patient.

“More people need to be patient with the process of moving up.” Durwood said. “It takes time, and some people get frustrated because they don’t advance in the profession as quickly as they would like. But we do need people. If people don’t get frustrated with the process and if they can control their game environment, they will do fine. They just have to fight through hard stuff and be mentally prepared for the job.”pro-x1kOOyeQ-813164126.webp

I can’t imagine being an official. That’s a tough job. My old classmate Sparky does Basketball he just did the Div 2 championship game. I think he will continue to go to bigger and better games. I was a ref for basketball one season and it was craziness. They wanted a foul on every little thing. Made good money doing to but never again. 

1 hour ago, pack98 said:

I can’t imagine being an official. That’s a tough job. My old classmate Sparky does Basketball he just did the Div 2 championship game. I think he will continue to go to bigger and better games. I was a ref for basketball one season and it was craziness. They wanted a foul on every little thing. Made good money doing to but never again. 

Yeah man. I spent 2 seasons umpiring some tournaments for baseball. Never ever again. Not for double my work salary lol. Those parents live through their children. The entitledness is real. 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Tell us more about Kedren Young's brother on the Freshman team. He is as big as Kedren.

He's a baseball guy. Pretty darn good from what I hear. Not sure what type of football player he is. But have heard nothing but great stuff about him on the diamond. 

HuntsvilleGREEN-314192425.png

Coach: Rodney Southern. Lettermen R/L: 28/17. Starters returning O/D: 5/7. 2022: 4-7 bi-district finalist/3-3 district.

Players to watch: ATH Jawann Giddens (6-0, 175, 4.7), CB Isaiah Collins (6-3, 180, 4.6), RB Trae’Shawn Brown (5-9, 165, 4.6), LB Shilo Jones (6-0, 200, 4.7), RB Braylon Phillips (6-0, 185, 4.6), DE Zack Moss (6-2, 205, 4.9). Top juniors: WR Savion Conteh (6-0, 160, 4.7), OL Brian Parker (6-2, 270). Top sophomore: WR Noah Nieto (5-9, 160, 4.8).

Other prospects: DB Cole Schroeder, DB Jeremiah Winfrey, QB Austin Taylor, K Joseph Mejia, WR Payton Pryor, WR Mu’Koryc Norman.

2023 notes: Huntsville expects to be much improved in 2023 as it returns several key contributors who played as underclassmen. ATH Giddens (465 yards, 5 TDs rushing; 314 yards 1 TD passing) is a dynamic weapon who can play multiple positions, and he’ll team with talented sophomore RB Brown (345 yards, 5 TDs rushing) who impressed as a freshman. Junior RB Phillips (224 yards, 2 TDs rushing) and WR Conteh (25-340, 3 TDs receiving) also showed promise seeing time as sophomores. The defense is led by juniors LB Jones (80 tackles, 3 TFL, 3 sacks) and DE Moss (40 tackles, 2 TFL, 4 sacks), while senior CB Collins provides veteran leadership in the secondary. Depth will be improved as Huntsville expects several from an 8-1 JV team to step in and contribute this season.

FYI - Huntsville opens their season with A&M Consolidated on the 25th at Bowers Stadium in Huntsville, the new stadium at the HS is not completed. It's the same reason the Lufkin scrimmage is here this season.  Lufkin also plays AMC in the 3rd week at Abe Martin Stadium.