2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

16 minutes ago, mr. b said:

This years budget is 5.5 million in the red.  Last years was 4.4 million in the red.  There goes your renovations PA. 

The State is suppose to make up some of that shortfall and I'm told there are unspent bond $$$ from past bonds which are available for ABE. Just what I've been told, I don't know personally. We will see.

Hmm, interesting that Torres steps down now, right after school starts. Will they pay her the $200K?? That will be an interesting call for the board. Hope she doesn't have a health problem. Guess we'll all find out more later.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Are there any former or current HS, college or pro players he reminds you of on the offensive side of the ball? I been trying to picture how he can be utilized in is new position. 

I’ve been trying to figure this out. I think his film looks a little similar to Adrian Peterson in high schools. It’s hard to find a running back with that kind of size and speed. He has to be one of the fastest kids in the country. The only back I’ve seen faster than him this year is Cade Durham. But Cade weighs 190 not 220

32 minutes ago, mr. b said:

Looks like superintendent just submitted resignation today but wants to be paid for the entire year.   Just can’t make this stuff up. 

She is living in a fantasy land. I think we’d all like to not work and make the $240k she is owed this year. 

4 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I’ve been trying to figure this out. I think his film looks a little similar to Adrian Peterson in high schools. It’s hard to find a running back with that kind of size and speed. He has to be one of the fastest kids in the country. The only back I’ve seen faster than him this year is Cade Durham. But Cade weighs 190 not 220

Sorry, I should've made clear which player.  Gavin the one I'm having a hard time figuring out. 

I see Longview considering a new bond. And guess what..it includes possible updates to Lobo stadium too. Meanwhile we have done virtually nothing over the last several years. Just some minor touch ups here and there. 

https://www.news-journal.com/news/local/longview-isd-trustees-to-consider-calling-november-bond-election/article_aad157ae-37f6-11ee-9dd2-534ceb2c3eef.html

Proposition C, $8.565 million: Facility repairs, renovations, and updates to Lobo Coliseum and Lobo Stadium.

21 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Sorry, I should've made clear which player.  Gavin the one I'm having a hard time figuring out. 

J Lane is the closest I can figure. We have never have anyone else like him here.

29 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I will have to see him play more. Based off just his size it’s either Brandon Jacobs from the giants years ago or Derrick Henry. 

The Lufkin Daily says "Administrative Leave".

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/lufkin-isd-superintendent-seeking-administrative-leave/article_f7f339cd-7142-5db2-9cfd-032805515e0d.html

Lufkin ISD superintendent Lynn Torres submitted a request to the board of trustees Friday morning to be placed on administrative leave through the end of the 2023-24 school year, with full pay and benefits.

While confirming the request, Wayne Haglund, staff attorney for the district, said the move had no connection to the controversy about the content of Monday's convocation for staff members during which a Prince impersonator performed.

Trustees have had concerns about the fiscal management of the district since they approved a deficit budget last year, board president Kristi Gay said.

That budget included a 3.5% raise for employees and drew on $4.4 million from the district’s reserves.

Gay said they issued a directive for Torres and the administrative staff to work on closing the gap between revenue and expenses beginning the very next day. That message that the district could not withstand another deficit was reinforced several times during the year, Gay said.

At a budget workshop held Aug. 1, trustees got their first look at a draft of the budget with a deficit of $5.7 million — and no staff raises.

Both the deficit and the lack of a pay raise were unwelcome news for trustees.

“The board feels a high need to help teachers and other employees offset the effect of inflation,” Gay said.

Gay is a certified public accountant and works at a local bank. She said the information presented at that workshop was not in the same format as proposed budgets in previous years.

“It was kind of hard to see what is happening,” she said.

Gay and Haglund had an additional meeting with Torres to discuss “dissatisfaction with the fiscal management of the district," Gay said.

Torres also delivered a letter notifying the district of her intention to retire at the end of the school year.

The request for administrative leave and retirement allows Lufkin ISD to begin a superintendent search earlier than planned. Torres publicly announced her retirement plans in the spring but did not file the associated paperwork until Friday.

A special meeting has been called for 11:30 a.m. Tuesday — the time the district normally holds a workshop to discuss details of agenda items for the formal meeting held on the second Thursday of each month.

At the top of Tuesday’s agenda are two items to consider approval of: her leave request and letter of retirement.

Once those issues are decided, the board will discuss the superintendent search/selection process, according to an agenda posted Friday.

Trustees also will hear results of an investigation into issues surrounding Monday's convocation.

In other business, trustees will:

• Review budgets for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 fiscal years.

• Hear administrative reports.

• Receive reports on human resources and support services.

• Discuss the timeline for teacher evaluations and appraisers.

• Consider seeking a waiver from TEA related to staff development.

• Discuss the staff development plan for 2023-24.

• Review and discuss the memorandum of understanding between the Lufkin ISD Police Department and the Lufkin Police Department and a separate agreement between LISD police and the Angelina County Sheriff’s Office.

• Discuss changes to the student code of conduct.

Following a closed executive session, the board will discuss legislative issues arising from HB 3 or other bills.

Valerie Reddell's email address is valerie.reddell@lufkindailynews.com

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The Lufkin Daily says "Administrative Leave".

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/lufkin-isd-superintendent-seeking-administrative-leave/article_f7f339cd-7142-5db2-9cfd-032805515e0d.html

Lufkin ISD superintendent Lynn Torres submitted a request to the board of trustees Friday morning to be placed on administrative leave through the end of the 2023-24 school year, with full pay and benefits.

While confirming the request, Wayne Haglund, staff attorney for the district, said the move had no connection to the controversy about the content of Monday's convocation for staff members during which a Prince impersonator performed.

Trustees have had concerns about the fiscal management of the district since they approved a deficit budget last year, board president Kristi Gay said.

That budget included a 3.5% raise for employees and drew on $4.4 million from the district’s reserves.

Gay said they issued a directive for Torres and the administrative staff to work on closing the gap between revenue and expenses beginning the very next day. That message that the district could not withstand another deficit was reinforced several times during the year, Gay said.

At a budget workshop held Aug. 1, trustees got their first look at a draft of the budget with a deficit of $5.7 million — and no staff raises.

Both the deficit and the lack of a pay raise were unwelcome news for trustees.

“The board feels a high need to help teachers and other employees offset the effect of inflation,” Gay said.

Gay is a certified public accountant and works at a local bank. She said the information presented at that workshop was not in the same format as proposed budgets in previous years.

“It was kind of hard to see what is happening,” she said.

Gay and Haglund had an additional meeting with Torres to discuss “dissatisfaction with the fiscal management of the district," Gay said.

Torres also delivered a letter notifying the district of her intention to retire at the end of the school year.

The request for administrative leave and retirement allows Lufkin ISD to begin a superintendent search earlier than planned. Torres publicly announced her retirement plans in the spring but did not file the associated paperwork until Friday.

A special meeting has been called for 11:30 a.m. Tuesday — the time the district normally holds a workshop to discuss details of agenda items for the formal meeting held on the second Thursday of each month.

At the top of Tuesday’s agenda are two items to consider approval of: her leave request and letter of retirement.

Once those issues are decided, the board will discuss the superintendent search/selection process, according to an agenda posted Friday.

Trustees also will hear results of an investigation into issues surrounding Monday's convocation.

In other business, trustees will:

• Review budgets for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 fiscal years.

• Hear administrative reports.

• Receive reports on human resources and support services.

• Discuss the timeline for teacher evaluations and appraisers.

• Consider seeking a waiver from TEA related to staff development.

• Discuss the staff development plan for 2023-24.

• Review and discuss the memorandum of understanding between the Lufkin ISD Police Department and the Lufkin Police Department and a separate agreement between LISD police and the Angelina County Sheriff’s Office.

• Discuss changes to the student code of conduct.

Following a closed executive session, the board will discuss legislative issues arising from HB 3 or other bills.

Valerie Reddell's email address is valerie.reddell@lufkindailynews.com

Look like the district was lacking in several areas.

17 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Look like the district was lacking in several areas.

I read in a recent LDN article that Lufkin ISD had 17 administrative positions they were still open this year. That's a lot of money and could go partially toward helping balance the budget. That could be a savings of more than $1.5 million in salaries and benefits this year.

"Deputy superintendent Kurt Stephens said 17 vacancies remain on the roster of professional staff. Nine current staff members have changed positions."

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/lufkin-isd-discusses-security-mandates-missing-pieces-in-the-budget-puzzle/article_8a3ab361-ae0f-5ce6-af16-42947bfb4715.html

27 minutes ago, mr. b said:

But they also had over 10 administrators that weren’t able to do their jobs, so what happened to them?   They created new jobs for them and now are doing basically nothing.  That itself is over 1 million loss. 

Government entities at all levels of government and school districts have those positions, it's such a waste, because it's not THEIR money it's the property tax payers money.  If they had to function like a family on a budget, things would be much different, how long does a private worker survive in a deficit economic situation?  Personally, I wouldn't last long because someone would be eventually be coming for my house, car and bank account.  Many government entities operate that way, aka Federal government.

The Lufkin school board has a good grip on this measure. So, I entrust whatever happens going forward to their capable hands.

I am ready for HS football, not going to think about any of this other stuff, it will take care of itself in time.  Go Pack!

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

J Lane is the closest I can figure. We have never have anyone else like him here.

Manns? He was the best back I watched play in Lufkin. Can’t deny his college success as well. Lane is right there. Young is special ND don’t hand out scholarships he will be a stud. 

8 hours ago, pack98 said:

Manns? He was the best back I watched play in Lufkin. Can’t deny his college success as well. Lane is right there. Young is special ND don’t hand out scholarships he will be a stud. 

Denvis Manns was an outstanding RB at Lufkin, I can not think of another better pure RB since his time in 1993-1994. J. Lane was a beast of a RB for Lufkin and could do so many things other than RB, as a WR, QB and punter.  Played some LB as an underclassmen.   Manns did not have the size of Lane or of Kedren Young for that matter. He was more the size of a Isaiah Phillips. He had speed with the capability of lightening quick change of direction.  Dr Jason Carter was his QB in those years.  Jason Carter holds the #10 spot in Panther history for most passing yards in a game, 333 yards against Chapel Hill in 1993.  Manns leads the Panthers is several historical categories. Most carries in a game with 41, for 303 yards against Marshall in 1994. Most rushing yards in a season with 2141.  Jorvorskie holds many records and after the last two season kedren Young is right there and poised to eclipse them both, if he stays healthy, Young will break the records of Manns and Lane in 2023.

Lufkin Panther Players school records:

Rushing Attempts, Game:
41 - Denvis Manns, 1994, vs. Marshall

32 - Kedren Young , 2021, vs New Caney Porter

35 - Kedren Young, 2022, vs West Mesquite

26 - Kedren Young, 2022, vs McKinney North

Most Rushing Yards, Game:

317 - Kedren Young, 2022 vs McKinney North

303 - Denvis Manns , 1994, vs Marshall

283 - Kedren Young,  2022 vs West Mesquite
267  -  Kedren Young , 2021, vs New Caney Porter

262  - Kedren Young, 2022, vs A&M Consolidated (tied longest run from scrimmage in Lufkin history 99 yards)
237 - Isaiah Phillips, 2017, vs. Longview

Rushing Yards, Season:
2,141 - Denvis Manns, 1994
2,012 - Isaiah Phillips, 2017
1,945 - Jorvorskie Lane, 2004
1,574 - Steven Sowell, 2014

1,540  - Kedren Young, 2022 (9 games)
1,500 - Ray Harper, 1969
1,344 - Jamarcus Walker, 2011
1,291 - Ray Harper, 1968
1,260 - Kendrick Mapp, 2012
1,197 - Jorvorskie Lane, 2003

Rushing Yards, Career:
3,767 - Jorvorskie Lane- '02-'04

Rushing TD's, Game:
5 - Jamarcus Walker, 2011, vs. Conroe Oak Ridge

4 - Jamarcus Walker, 2011, vs. Tyler Lee

4 - Kedren Young, 2022, vs McKinney North

4 - Kedren Young, 2022, vs West Mesquite
4 - Jamarcus Walker, 2011, vs. John Tyler

Rushing TD's, Season:
41 - Jorvorskie Lane, 2004
27 - Isaiah Phillips, 2017
27 - Jamarcus Walker, 2011
22 - Jorvorskie Lane, 2003

Rushing TD's, Career:
78 - Jorvorskie Lane, 2002-2004

Points Scored, Season:
246 - Jorvorskie Lane, 2004

Points Scored, Career:
468 - Jorvorskie Lane, 2002-2004

On 8/12/2023 at 6:21 AM, Chadalac05 said:

Ive heard they paid the the Prince impersonator upwards of 53k to perform. 

Got nothing else to say about it, someone thought it was a great idea and it didn't work out as planned. Maybe a better decision by the performer himself NOT to sing a certain song, and we would not be hearing anything about this matter. That amount paid this guy could have been a very small down payment towards a new press box at ABE.

This was The Purple xPeRIeNCE 2nd trip to Lufkin this year. https://www.angelinaarts.org/pines-series/purple-xperience/ . These guys have played all over the Country, Vegas, Red Rocks in Colorado, Orlando - Disney since 2011. They are considered a very talented tribute band. Like I said, we will let the Lufkin Admin leaders decide whatever here.  Just wanting football to get going and I'm to not getting involved in any controversial discussion that's not football.  IMO you either liked Prince or you didn't. He's been gone now awhile, so not much else to say.  Go Pack!

LDN First Week of Practice is wrapped up  

It won’t be long before the Lufkin Panthers are putting in their weekly gameplans to compete against some of the best teams the state has to offer.

But for the first week, the focus wasn’t on Longview, Lancaster or Tyler Legacy.

“The main focus this first week is just us,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “We’re making sure we know what we’re doing. There’s a lot of teaching and making sure their bodies are ready to go.”

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/lufkin-wraps-up-1st-week-of-practice/article_8b68d5e5-b772-5995-852a-3e52a2134415.html

Lufkin was able to go through contact drills for the first time Friday afternoon. However, actual full-contact drills will start next week.

“You’ve got body-to-body contact but you can’t take people to the ground,” Quick said. “You try to get through this as healthy as you can.”

Lufkin will follow up the first week of practice with this morning’s picture day before setting their sights on Friday’s scrimmage against Huntsville.

While the intensity will be far from what it will be on opening night, Quick said the scrimmage still motivates the players.

“Any time you get the chance to look at a different jersey, it changes the focus both mentally and physically,” Quick said.

“First you get into the routine this week then you get into a little bit of game planning next week.”

Quick said while the majority of the positions are locked in, there can still be a few adjustments throughout practices and after the scrimmages.

“It gives you a gauge of where you’re at,” Quick said. “We’ll make corrections after the scrimmage. Sometimes you even make a few position changes.”

Competition for those positions is also something that can be a driving force leading up to the season.

“You’ve got kids that will move up the chart with the work they do here and what they show in the scrimmage,” Quick said. “You can learn some things when you see guys go up against somebody they don’t see every day.”

Friday’s scrimmage is set to be played on John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium.

The season opener is set for Aug. 25 when Lufkin hosts Tyler Legacy.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.