2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

PN you really brought out some reality in that guy from BH.  I'm old enough to say this, because I've seen and experienced so much with people. When someone like that goes off calling folks names, you can bet that person possesses some of what he is accusing.  You handled that situation well, just wanted to tell you that.  He knows nothing about the make up of Lufkin and the diversity this city has had with it's population and work force for many decades. Do we have some problems?, yes, just like any city these days. Any less safe than Houston? Dallas? Austin? Tyler?  When you base percentages on occurrences per 100K population, and you only have a 40K population the numbers get skewed a bit.  Plus all the data is two or more years old. I've never had an issue living here, and we go and do both day and night, so something is happening elsewhere than the neighborhood we've lived the past 34 years and our daily movements around the city.  By the way, Go Pack!!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

PN you really brought out some reality in that guy from BH.  I'm old enough to say this, because I've seen and experienced so much with people. When someone like that goes off calling folks names, you can bet that person possesses some of what he is accusing.  You handled that situation well, just wanted to tell you that.  He knows nothing about the make up of Lufkin and the diversity this city has had with it's population and work force for many decades. Do we have some problems?, yes, just like any city these days. Any less safe than Houston? Dallas? Austin? Tyler?  When you base percentages on occurrences per 100K population, and you only have a 40K population the numbers get skewed a bit.  Plus all the data is two or more years old. I've never had an issue living here, and we go and do both day and night, so something is happening elsewhere than the neighborhood we've lived the past 34 years and our daily movements around the city.  By the way, Go Pack!!

They had a reality check Friday night. Barbers Hill lives in it's own little bubble. But we're past those guys for now and time to focus on Westbrook. Might watch a little film tonight if I can find it. They will for sure have the athletes and are significantly improved from a year ago. Just need to get out of that one healthy and with a much needed bye week looming before we get into the final push for a district championship. Been a while since we've been able to say that..

7 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Coutee play at qb kinda reminds of Zacovey Smallwood. I hate to lose so many starters this year. But I think we can still make a push. I hope Preston can return at some point for the playoffs. He really helps balance out that receivers group. 

That's a pretty good  comparison. Coutee probably has a little more juice than Smallwood and they're both tough kids. Of all the starters out Big Hoop is the only one that we won't see again this year. Even then we have quality back ups with not much of a drop off. Nichols has stepped up and made big plays at WR for Preston. Coutee has played so well at QB that you almost can't pull him at this point. These kids have some fight in them. I remember as Freshman they had 6 starters out and still beat College Station to essentially win the district championship. Next man up mentality with this group. They play for each other and it shows every Friday Night. 

19 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

That's a pretty good  comparison. Coutee probably has a little more juice than Smallwood and they're both tough kids. Of all the starters out Big Hoop is the only one that we won't see again this year. Even then we have quality back ups with not much of a drop off. Nichols has stepped up and made big plays at WR for Preston. Coutee has played so well at QB that you almost can't pull him at this point. These kids have some fight in them. I remember as Freshman they had 6 starters out and still beat College Station to essentially win the district championship. Next man up mentality with this group. They play for each other and it shows every Friday Night. 

Yea, he’s a better athlete to me than Smallwood. But good comparison. Hope we have a similar season as well. 

27 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Agree about him having a bit more juice. Think he's a tad bigger and faster. Who is #98 at DE? He has flashed when ever he is on the field.

On Yesterday morning  I went and Watch Houston Westbury vs Houston Sterling which is one of the Teams the Pack could face first round in the Playoffs in we get in and Galveston Ball Coaches was there sitting behind me they was talking how Lufkin beating up on Barbers Hill and that Lufkin has a lot of Athletes all over the field .I guess they was watching to see who is going  to be the third are fourth place team 

1 hour ago, pimpthepen said:

On Yesterday morning  I went and Watch Houston Westbury vs Houston Sterling which is one of the Teams the Pack could face first round in the Playoffs in we get in and Galveston Ball Coaches was there sitting behind me they was talking how Lufkin beating up on Barbers Hill and that Lufkin has a lot of Athletes all over the field .I guess they was watching to see who is going  to be the third are fourth place team 

If we can stay healthy and keep improving. I doubt we finish in the 3rd and 4th spot. 

6 hours ago, timeout! said:

If we can stay healthy and keep improving. I doubt we finish in the 3rd and 4th spot. 

Not knowing any details about Javion Johnson's condition, we know who our QB will be for next week and who would be his backup in the event that is needed.  Don't need anything to happen with Coutee, he is such a great WR first and has morphed into a decent QB who manages the game well.

I'm guessing Preston will return sooner than later and he will be welcomed back.  Kaden Hooper is the only known loss for the season.  Baily, Byrd, Davis and Lara have played very well since his injury.

The next three weeks should be a time of just playing their game. Taking a couple wins, with a off week sandwiched in the middle to get healthy, all before the kids take on PAM in another crucial district game. The season is now officially half over. Just 5 games left to make or break your season.

Not a time to let off the gas but to keep building and improving your game.  Hopefully the Panthers can get most everyone back after the break in time for the Baytown Sterling game.   I like our positioning right now.

Hey PN, Separation Scientist from BH said it will be great to play someone with class this week in Baytown Sterling.  Lufkin is classless.  Then again, I doubt SS was even in Lufkin last Friday night.  

https://www.setxsports.com/ip/topic/262070-baytown-sterling-at-barbers-hill/

PN you left your mark on him, he will never forget it.  He doesn't matter now until next year, when we have to go down there to play. 

I want to say two things about the game Friday night that no one has spoken about here so far.  The first thing is how proud I am of our Panther players not visibly doing any obvious talking or taunting towards Barbers Hill. There were several big plays made by the Panthers on the BH sidelines, and they all got up ran back to their teammates to celebrate and head by to the huddle or Panther sidelines whichever was applicable for the moment.  Well done.

The second,  BH had many Fathers or Boosters on either side of their team watching the game from the sidelines, and I saw their reactions early in the game when BH had the 14-8 lead. I also saw their quite and despondent look on their faces as the Panthers took over with Lufkin physically wearing them down in the 2nd half.  None more than the two INTs right in front of them in the 4th quarter. Something they had not seen from anyone they had played all year. The Panther players handle it perfectly.  Thank You.   

Who had all the PF penalties??, it was Barbers Hill.  Enough said.  

Week # 6 Associate Press Poll 5A DI Texas High School Football Rankings:   These are different Rankings than the DCTF/ Jerry's Pigskin Prep  Computer Rankings Poll that is published in the middle of the week.  That is based on actual comparisons to team strengths and SOS.  Please note that winning margins influences those Texas AP voters.  

DCTF.jpg

Have been recouping and cleaning up some of the Panther History section.  What you see and we all forget that there were a few really good Panther teams back in the 60s and 70s who never made the playoffs because only the top team from each district made the playoffs back then.  For example the 1974 (9-1) team, 1978 (8-2), 1968 (8-1-1), 1963 (8-2) and 1987 (7-3). In this day and age of 4 teams making the playoffs, these guys may have got on a roll.

Then as we complain about not making the playoff the past three years you run across this section of Panther history, I remember this well, so many Panther fans were happy when Ed Cauley was replaced here. A real nice guy that started out great with three good years, was beaten by Plano twice in the first round of the playoffs in 1977 and 1979 at Texas Stadium.  That was the other deal, he never tried to get the Panthers to play Plano at a neutral site, he took them both times into Plano territory because he thought the kids wanted to play at Texas Stadium.  Things fell off big time after 1979 because he didn't build the program, they became roller coaster times for Panther fans and Pat Culpepper inherited the mess when he came on board in 1984, he had 2 or 3 good years, then he fell off too until Jim Slaughter arrived to inherit Culpepper's mess, even he went 1-9 in his first year.  I remember how fans felt that year, we were so close in a lot of those games.  Lufkin football had to wait 51 years between Abe Martin and John Outlaw to find a program builder and consistent playoff winner for football in Lufkin.  Lufkin already had a football power and a three time State Champion in Lufkin up until 1969, but it was not Lufkin High School, it was Lufkin Dunbar. The powers that be in Lufkin during those years didn't put a high priority on football at Lufkin High.  LHS was more interested in being known for baseball, they won a State Championship in 1962.  Different times, but never the consistent football winning at LHS. Just scroll through the history section to see the roller coaster ride of the football program over 112 years, you'll find except for Abe Martin and John Outlaw  there's not been a lot of playoff action since they began in 1911.  In fact, Panthers have made the playoffs 48 times out of their 112 years played. Six times under Abe Martin in his 7 years at Lufkin, 15 times in Outlaw's 17 years coaching, and 9 times in the 12 years Quick has been HC. So you have three HC who have a total of 30 playoff appearances in 37 years as Lufkin HC. That leaves only 11 playoff appearances combined by all other 14 known Lufkin Head Coaches over the other 75 Panther seasons, that did not involve Martin, Outlaw or Quick. There is no doubt allowing 2 to 3 and now 4 teams from each district into the playoffs has increased the percentages a bit for coaches like Outlaw and Quick.

1977 (9-2) 230-111 Ed Cauley  Lost to Plano  17-7
1978 (8-2) 245-142 Ed Cauley
1979 (8-2-1) 209-104 Ed Cauley  Lost to Plano  25-21
1980 (5-5) 172- 99 Ed Cauley
1981 (2-8) 104-170 Ed Cauley
1982 (3-7) 104-167 Ed Cauley
1983 (4-6) 144-176 Ed Cauley
1984 (3-5-2) 137-127 Pat Culpepper

1985 (6-3-1) 157-128 Pat Culpepper
1986 (8-3-1) 256-162 Pat Culpepper  Playoffs
1987 (7-3) 278-109 Pat Culpepper
1988 (10-2-1) 281-148 Pat Culpepper  Playoffs
1989 (4-5-1) 176-179 Pat Culpepper
1990 (6-4) 231-188 Pat Culpepper
1991 (5-4-1) 196-230 Pat Culpepper
1992 (1-9) 162-221 Jim Slaughter
1993 (6-4) 275-181 Jim Slaughter
1994 (7-5-1) 282-267 Jim Slaughter  Playoffs

FYI - Just noticed that Lufkin has played Galveston Ball twice in our history, in 1984 and 1985.  Lufkin is 1-1  against them, losing 14-9 in 1984, then winning 19-15 in 1985. 

Lufkin does have some interesting records against some of the top names in Texas high school football now or in their day.

Records: 2-0 against Katy (2002-2003), 2-0 against Allen(2000,2002), 1-1 against Galena Park North Shore(1966, 2008),  3-0 against Carthage (1941,1968, 1969),  and 5-7-1 against  Port Neches Groves (52,53,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67). Lufkin also has a long history with Conroe with a record of 25-16-1, playing 42 times over the years (42,43,46,47,48,49,52,53,61,62,63,64, 66,67,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,94,95,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,16,17). Quite a run.

Just to name a few, Lufkin played a lot of different folks back in the day all over the State.  Many of those schools no longer exist or have been merged into new school names.  I'm working on it after we lost a ton of history data.  Fortunate to have my old Window 8 lap top in storage, fired it up by chance and thankfully the history file was still there.

I was watching some highlight film today of Quentin Gibson of North Crowley, he has 692 receiving yards through 5 games and I immediately thought Kevo Taylor.  They are both about the same size, speed and elusiveness.  Morton from BH also shows how that type talent is advantageous to your offensive success. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/16387033/Quentin-Gibson

I believe the Lufkin coaches are using Taylor well here, WR, Wildcat, RB and return guy.  He is not being used quite as much as Gibson or Morton, which is not meant as a negative, only to the possibilities when you see what the other kids are getting done.  The amazing thing is there is so much more talent at the skilled positions here in Lufkin than just Taylor, with Hooper, Preston, and Nichols.  Coutee is such a great WR too, and of course we need him at QB now. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/17602645/KeVondrick-Taylor

Keeping thinking about Javion Johnson's situation, it's a tough deal to go through for him. Him needing not only to be healthy, also needing that valuable playing time.  This group has 5 more games, all are important, two are really big ones to win, both on the road at PAM and Ball.   Johnson has looked so good in his short stints before getting hurt again, you can see his potential and also what it means to have Coutee in at WR, especially with Preston out a while longer.

Just doesn't seem like things ever fall together just right when you have all the right pieces and parts to fly really high.  I'm sure there are some teams out there who are lucky enough to avoid the injury bug to their key people.  Lufkin has already lost a big piece of their defense with the loss of LB Kaden Hooper. Johnson's status long term is not known to me, Preston is recuperating without a set timetable on his return. There are others who are banged up a bit too, Kenneth Waters was hobbled some in the 4th quarter Friday night.  We are going to need him for sure.

I always had a little something bothering me by midseason, some you knew would not fully go away until after the season, maybe even longer. I played basketball too, then ran some track a couple years.  Remember having this sore elbow my junior year from a helmet hit, that thing was an issue all the way to the following Summer before it finally cleared up. Everybody who plays gets something during a season.

39 minutes ago, Hitman2 said:

Sad to say, and if I shouldnt be posting this here, PA, feel free to take it down, but Javion is out for the rest of the season. Has a chipped bone in his shoulder and will need surgery. Sure hate it for him.

He's a SR or JR?