2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

27 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Never used to be a problem around here 15 years ago.  I'm not saying more, the trend and expectations were set long before this year.

Yep. The thing that worries me the most about those guys so soon is they are better coached and have more discipline. Talent won’t matter. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yep. The thing that worries me the most about those guys so soon is they are better coached and have more discipline. Talent won’t matter. 

It doesn't matter what seed we are #1-#4, if we win in the first round, you play someone from that district in the 2nd round.  The lower seeds will play a CS or AMC, not any less competition with Pflugerville Weiss or Austin Anderson. Those are the probable top 4 teams.

Barbers Hill is better than Tyler, great coaching, our guys can not pull the same this week and get away with it. The special teams saved our tail last week not only with the TD but the excellent return yardage.  The untypical TOs and giving up those big pass plays can not become a trend. If not for either happening, we dominated Tyler.  Just can't let teams stay in games.

26 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Ironically, don't have a concern about this Panther team.  The defensive anomaly of last week is easily fixed, there's enough talent at WR to cover for Preston until he returns. The thought for me is Johnson at QB, he is the key to success the rest of the season. Some have put lots of expectations on him, I want him to have great success at Lufkin High. 

23 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Barbers Hill is better than Tyler, great coaching, our guys can not pull the same this week and get away with it. The special teams saved our tail last week not only with the TD but the excellent return yardage.  The untypical TOs and giving up those big pass plays can not become a trend. If not for either happening, we dominated Tyler.  Just can't let teams stay in games.

Story of our lives. 

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Ironically, don't have a concern about this Panther team.  The defensive anomaly of last week is easily fixed, there's enough talent at WR to cover for Preston until he returns. The thought for me is Johnson at QB, he is the key to success the rest of the season. Some have put lots of expectations on him, I want him to have great success at Lufkin High. 

Yeah, QB spot is starting to concern me. We no longer have games to waste to get him into shape. 

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Yeah, QB spot is starting to concern me. We no longer have games to waste to get him into shape. 

Well hope the extra work pays off this week. Yea, a must win without a doubt, with no exceptions. Hey, I'm not totally on board yet, haven't cast off any lines to board the boat. Still on the dock observing. These last three or four years have taken my sea legs, not wanting to get too far off the shoreline in uncertain waters, until I can trust the captain.  I am not the only one who feels this way.  Great to be 3-1, but in retrospect the Panthers are 0-1 against a higher ranked team. All of Lufkin wins are as they have been in the past 4 or 5 years, they've been against equal or lower rated teams. I'm sorry, just looking at this 2024 group and you go, these guys should never be challenged, well folks will find out this week one way or another. A big win might make me step on to the boat just to look around more. 

44 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Well hope the extra work pays off this week. Yea, a must win without a doubt, with no exceptions. Hey, I'm not totally on board yet, haven't cast off any lines to board on the boat. Still on the dock observing. These last three or four years have taken my sea legs, not wanting to get too far off the shoreline in uncertain waters, until I can trust the captain.  I am not the only one who feels this way.  Great to be 3-1, but in retrospect the Panthers are 0-1 against a higher ranked team. All of Lufkin wins are as they have been in the last 4 or 5 years, they've been against equal or lower rated teams. I'm sorry, just looking at this 2024 group and you go, these guys should never be challenged, well folks will find out this week one way or another. A big win might make me step on to the boat just to look around more. 

Get ready to get off the dock PA !!! They got something for BH. 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

It doesn't matter what seed we are #1-#4, if we win in the first round, you play someone from that district in the 2nd round.  The lower seeds will play a CS or AMC, not any less competition with Pflugerville Weiss or Austin Anderson. Those are the probable top 4 teams.

Special teams is a going to be strong all season. Kevo in the return game is gonna be problematic for Barbers Hill. I noticed on film during punt they keep several offensive lineman out there. Something to watch Friday Night. Something tells me that's going to be a disaster for BH if they don't change it up 

This is what BH fans are passing around to get a bead on what to expect from Lufkin.  Had to reduce the volume down, like I do the Lobo broadcast when I watch them. Too much loud excitement.

5 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Dude goes crazy like we busted a 50 yard run when we pick up only 3 smh. It’s actually embarrassing. 

😂 He's the voice of Panther sports now. It wouldn't be the same without him. I remember tuning into a Longview broadcast several years ago. It sounded like I was listening to a funeral and they were winning. They have upgraded since then and have good crew. I still prefer the over the top antics of Big Nasty. 😁

2 minutes ago, timeout! said:

😂 He's the voice of Panther sports now. It wouldn't be the same without him. I remember tuning into a Longview broadcast several years ago. It sounded like I was listening to a funeral and they were winning. They have upgraded since then and have good crew. I still prefer the over the top antics of Big Nasty. 😁

I used to love listening to nasty but he’s wrong all the time and stumbles over his own words. His crew has to correct him and then he wants to argue lol.. He’s better than a lot of other schools broadcasters, a lot of them are boring. I’ll give him that much. He’s not of the boring category lol.

9 minutes ago, timeout! said:

My non Lufkin friends love listening to him. So many of these guys have no enthusiasm or energy and Big Nasty gives us all that and then some. He's had some classic calls over the years. Friday Night he said Coutee could have ran to Longview 😂. We need to enjoy him while we got him. 

3 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

My non Lufkin friends love listening to him. So many of these guys have no enthusiasm or energy and Big Nasty gives us all that and then some. He's had some classic calls over the years. Friday Night he said Coutee could have ran to Longview 😂. We need to enjoy him while we got him. 

I agree 100% dude is pure entertainment. I feel like I'm listening to a WWF match from back in the day. 😁

I would definitely miss him if he leaves. 

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

Yea, i love listening to him 

DCTF/Jerry's Pigskin Prep Computer Rankings for Week #5 - 9-5A DI:

#10 -  Port Arthur Memorial (3-1)

#15 - Lufkin (3-1)

#15 - Galveston Ball  (4-0)

#18 - Barbers Hill (3-1)

#65 - Beaumont West Brook (2-2)

#68 - Baytown Sterling (3-1)

#75 - Beaumont United (2-2)

One note of interest in 9-5A DI, there is not a single team with a losing record through 4 weeks of non district play.. 

Other 2024 Panther non district opponents:

#9  - 5A DII Huntsville (2-1)

#30 - 6A Longview (2-2)

#73 - 5A DII Nacogdoches (2-2)

#39 - 5A DI Tyler (2-2)

Lets compare same opponent computer rankings for (3-1) Barbers Hill. They played all 6A schools in non district.

6A Rankings:

#200 - New Caney (0-3)  W  54-8

#114 - Manvel (1-3)  W  21-13

#54 - Deer Park (3-1)  L 50-48 OT

#193 - Richmond Foster (1-3)  W  49-7