2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I was wondering if they were the Earl Campbell Smoked Sausages. Man, those were really good.

Would’ve tried those, but still full from the traditional pre-game Stanley’s BBQ meal. Saw some of Lufkin’s staff partaking also. The one-handed catch by Taylor was next level. Johnson looked a little rusty on his return, which is to be expected, but the best version of this team is with him at QB and Coutee at WR, especially with Preston going down. This bunch has the makings of a team that has a higher ceiling as the season progresses (barring more injuries), which could bode well for a strong showing in district and a potential playoff run.

Cleburne was worse than I thought. Man that was bad. 

Wanted to touch on something concerning Panther fans. It has been quite noticeable the drop off of in person support for the program the last few years. Not making the playoffs has much to do with that issue, winning always bring out the community and those fringe football fans from the area who like to watch good winning football. A free media streaming of Panther football makes things easier for the older crowd, those who are less interested, or can't get off work in time to go. The difference around here though is winning. If you are winning, then more folks will forgo the media stream to see the team in action live.

It was evident in Tyler Friday night. As good as the creditials are with this years team, the residuals of the past 3 or 4 years still loom. Maybe a tight economy make the choice on spending the $$$ to go or to stay home and watch. For me to travel to an out of to a Pack game, tickets, gas and food, last night cost me $80.

Lufkin fans use to Pack the Rose for these games, I'll make a guess, maybe 700- 800 fans not counting the extracurricular students from Lufkin. Still had plenty of space to spread out.

Hopefully more winning will occur as this season progresses, and  the fan base will want to come see these kids play in person, it's such a better experience IMO, to me you can see so much more going than on a TV. Hearing the band live, trying the different concessions at different stadiums. OR maybe finding that special place like Stanley's BBQ to eat. 

High School football is an adventure, winning makes it perfect.

I’ve noticed the decreasing not just of fans but also band members, cheer leaders are down to two teams not three. Losing effects a lot more than just football. One winning season sadly won’t change anything. Yes this group is talented but are the coaches willing to keep this level of effort up? Where has it been the last few years?

I noticed there are only three big sponsors this year instead of the usual four. How much money lost is that. The community as a whole see the product and is making a statement. 

Sad for the kids though. They always deserve our support. We can punish them for adult mistakes. 

To answer your 1st question the answer is probably no, that will be left to whom ever leads the program next.

Question #2. As far as sponsors, the district took those sponsorships away from the Sideliners Booster Club in 2022 with the intent of growing them into something larger to help better support the football program and maybe make improvements to ABE. Have no idea how any of those sponsors have been handled.

The Sideliners had 7 year sponsorship agreements set up, using those funds to pay for the new $420K Video and Scoreboard bought in 2015. 

The Sideliners were sidelined by Covid in 2020 and have not functioned since that time, although request were made to reestablish. Frankly, I'm not interested being involved now under current leadership. In reality, if the Boosters were to ever return, it should be with parents of students in the football program leading it. Not older guys like me who no longer have children or grandchildren enrolled at LHS.

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Wanted to touch on something concerning Panther fans. It has been quite noticeable the drop off of in person support for the program the last few years. Not making the playoffs has much to do with that issue, winning always bring out the community and those fringe football fans from the area who like to watch good winning football. A free media streaming of Panther football makes things easier for the older crowd, those who are less interested, or can't get off work in time to go. The difference around here though is winning. If you are winning, then more folks will forgo the media stream to see the team in action live.

Yeah, I stopped going in 2018, I started listening at home in 2019 mostly because of work issues that year, then video stream became a thing and I just enjoy watching it at home now. I don’t have any interest in going. Not even a playoff game. Only a state championship would get me out but I’ve been to Jerry’s world watching games for 3 straight years now anyways. My dad went from 1998-2015 with only missing maybe 5 games. He told me after the 2015 season he’d never be back unless changes were made with the staff. 9 years later and that’s held true for him. Hasn’t been back once lol I know several others that have followed suit to that, but they held tough until 2020 

12 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Ok so after talking with my son. When Tyler was sending that guy in motion and running certain routes it was completely messing with our coverage concepts and that's why you saw guys running wide open. I Initially thought we jumped into our sub package "Falcon" which we did but before that when you started seeing #9 and #15 on the field at the same time we started running our Sky coverage defense with our 2 best coverage OLB's on the field and it completely took away Tyler manipulating our coverage concepts. So it was a good adjustment late by the DC to figure out what was happening and get it corrected. So going forward if teams try to exploit our base coverage you will see Lufkin go to what they call Sky coverage or Falcon package sooner I imagine. Also on that last Tyler TD on 4th down. Coach was trying to send another DB on the field and the kid didn't go on the field. So during that confusion. The 4th down play I believe was sent in wrong which caused the coverage break. Good news is now that we have seen it. We will know what adjustments to make in real time to combat teams trying to do this. I'd much rather us go through that last night at Tyler then down the road trying to figure that out on the fly in a bigger game. 

Well that's good to hear that they can make the right adjustments, just make them quicker becuase we will see it again, trust me

10 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yeah, I stopped going in 2018, I started listening at home in 2019 mostly because of work issues that year, then video stream became a thing and I just enjoy watching it at home now. I don’t have any interest in going. Not even a playoff game. Only a state championship would get me out but I’ve been to Jerry’s world watching games for 3 straight years now anyways. My dad went from 1998-2015 with only missing maybe 5 games. He told me after the 2015 season he’d never be back unless changes were made with the staff. 9 years later and that’s held true for him. Hasn’t been back once lol I know several others that have followed suit to that, but they held tough until 2020 

I'm the same, I  quit going to out of town games in 2019 because those long rides home with a L that was not pleasant. Last home game was 2022. Someone said that not winning and maybe economy has something to do with the fan's base lack of interest. This is Lufkin and all that needs to happen is start winning a few play off games, then gas prices won't be a factor or anything else. Even the home game crowds have fallen of.I watch now on youtube .

Have there been any updates on how Preston is ??

4 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I'm the same, I  quit going to out of town games in 2019 because those long rides home with a L that was not pleasant. Last home game was 2022. Someone said that not winning and maybe economy has something to do with the fan's base lack of interest. This is Lufkin and all that needs to happen is start winning a few play off games, then gas prices won't be a factor or anything else. Even the home game crowds have fallen of.I watch now on youtube .

Losing definitely plays the biggest part in it. For me, life started changing and it made it tough to go. So I started missing over half the games back in like 2014. Then by 2018 I was only catching maybe 2 or 3 games, and they were all home. 2019 I just said screw it and been gone since lol… Losing is one thing, but not making changes and allowing it to continue to fall off a Cliff is another. That’s where most people are at in their head when it comes to not going. Maybe  we fired quick and company and things wouldn’t have been any different. But you got to at least try lol. I knew a man back in like 2019 (I think) that had a kid who was one of the cheer captains and he had decided a few years earlier that he was done going and he stood by that even while she was cheering 🤣 I couldn’t believe it. You gotta at minimal show up for your kid Lmao. Dude was DONE 💀

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Totally understand your stance and it's not because I haven't thought about it.  The last three years really took me down, even with the success so far this year I haven't recovered my trust. Real gun shy about expecting anything until it happens. I never get a sense of full calm and confidence like we did in the Outlaw days, I mean when we left the driveway to the game, it didn't matter who we were playing, we knew we were going to win.  Like last night, I knew we were having a off night with the missed opportunities, defensive errors and drive killing TOS. That bad deja vu stuff creeped out on me, thankfully it went away after the safety.

Losing gets old, blowing leads and not beat good teams. Losing 8 in a row to Longview and missing the playoffs. Just beating sub par or average teams.  However, we had been waiting on this 2024 group since 2021. So, I decided to give those guys a chance to show if they can still coach good talent. 

It's a hard habit to break for me, just something about watching HS football. Have a good friend who travels with me and we talk lots of football.  My traveling crew has continued to change over the last 26 years and has run dry a couple times where I had to make a handful of games solo a few years ago.  First my son and family for a number of early years, then people move or can't go again for some reason, maybe their health or whatever.  It's a tight wire for me now because if the games require a lot of backroads/country roads access, I'm not traveling by myself anymore. It's never the drive there or watching the game, it's the driving back at 1 AM.  This too will end at some point, and it could be for any number of reasons at this point of my life.  Definitely lots of folks that I use to see at games for last 15 -20 years,  haven't seen them there in 3 or 4 years now. Guess I'm holding out for success this one year. We'll see what happens..  

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Totally understand your stance and it's not because I haven't thought about it.  The last three years really took me down, even with the success so far this year I haven't recovered my trust. Real gun shy about expecting anything until it happens. I never get a sense of full calm and confidence like we did in the Outlaw days, I mean when we left the driveway to the game, it didn't matter who we were playing, we knew we were going to win.  Like last night, I knew we were having a off night with the missed opportunities, defensive errors and drive killing TOS. That bad deja vu stuff creeped out on me, thankfully it went away after the safety.

Losing gets old, blowing leads and not beat good teams. Losing 8 in a row to Longview and missing the playoffs. Just beating sub par or average teams.  However, we had been waiting on this 2024 group since 2021. So, I decided to give those guys a chance to show if they can still coach good talent. 

It's a hard habit to break for me, just something about watching HS football. Have a good friend who travels with me and we talk lots of football.  My traveling crew has continued to change over the last 26 years and has run dry a couple times where I had to make a handful of games solo a few years ago.  First my son and family for a number of early years, then people move or can't go again for some reason, maybe their health or whatever.  It's a tight wire for me now because if the games require a lot of backroads/country roads access, I'm not traveling by myself anymore. It's never the drive there or watching the game, it's the driving back at 1 AM.  This too will end at some point, and it could be for any number of reasons at this point of my life.  Definitely lots of folks that I use to see at games for last 15 -20 years,  haven't seen them there in 3 or 4 years now. Guess I'm holding out for success this one year. We'll see what happens..  

I understand. One thing nobody can say about you is that you aren’t a devoted fan. Because you are. Props to you. You’re the first person I’ll think about if this team makes a run and gets to the promised land. I wish I could say I was that devoted but I’m not. I tapped out years ago. Not many of us on this board are, and certainly not many around town now days either. If we make a playoff run, there will be plenty of butts in seats. Some bandwagoners, some not. Some folks have put in the time and money and everything it takes to be a hardcore fan but the last 3-5 years just took a toll on them. I don’t blame those folks at all. I used to plan my life around the Lufkin football games. Now I find myself forgetting they are even on and playing some Fridays and don’t get the stream going until midway through the 1st qtr. 

14 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

3-4 weeks is what I was told.

In last Friday's matchup between two former Lufkin Panthers, HC Ralph Tomas/ Houston Yates outlasted HC Cornelius McFarland/Houston Wheatley 38-9 to move to 3-1 on the season and 2-0 in District 11-4A DI.  Wheatley stands at 2-2 on the year and 1-1 in district.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

In last Friday's matchup between two former Lufkin Panthers, HC Ralph Tomas/ Houston Yates outlasted HC Cornelius McFarland/Houston Wheatley 38-9 to move to 3-1 on the season and 2-0 in District 11-4A DI.  Wheatley stands at 2-2 on the year and 1-1 in district.

I attended that game Ralph Thomas has it cooking at JY they are fast and explosive on Offense and the Defense attack . I saw a little John Outlaw in him Friday night getting on the refs and holding his kids accountable to make plays .

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

That's when he gets out the brace. I don't think we will see him again unless it's in the playoffs. 1-2 weeks to work back into shape. Yeah tough loss 

Glad the kid will make a full recovery. I was nervous and praying when I saw him motionless. 

My thoughts and prayers for full recovery are with Krisean.

Do not know what else to say. It is part of what can happen playing sports. It really changes the offensive game plan moving forward, Jayden Nichols and Coutee will now play larger rolls, with Taylor and Hooper. 

Hard to talk about because this is a big loss and this is Preston's senior season. Hopefully he can return, healthy, and continue to be a part of this 2024 group.

Johnson's going to need to pick it up now and go, cause Coutee is needed at WR. Offensive coaches will probably need to figure out a few new strategies.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

My thoughts and prayers for full recovery are with Krisean.

Do not know what else to say. It is part of what can happen playing sports. It really changes the offensive game plan moving forward, Jayden Nichols and Coutee will now play larger rolls, with Taylor and Hooper. 

Hard to talk about because this is a big loss and this is Preston's senior season. Hopefully he can return, healthy, and continue to be a part of this 2024 group.

Johnson's going to need to pick it up now and go, cause Coutee is needed at WR. Offensive coaches will probably need to figure out a few new strategies.

I think we're going to see Johnson play QB Friday night. Allowing Coutee to help fill that void. I'm hopeful he will play again by the end of the season. It doesn't sound like it was as bad as it looked. It could have been much worse. 

4 hours ago, timeout! said:

Glad the kid will make a full recovery. I was nervous and praying when I saw him motionless. 

I'm just going off what my son is hearing from his twin brother that's on the team. I guess there is always a chance he's done for the season but I'm pretty sure once that brace comes off he's going to give it a go. I think best case scenario is he only misses 2-3 games with a much needed by week after Barbers Hill.