2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Our secondary is exposed badly, teams are going to test them the rest of the season

When they went into the sub package they completely took it away. I imagine going forward we will see that sooner. Id be more concerned if we couldn't stop the run. Tyler has 2 WRs that are high P4 recruits. Those type of kids are gonna make plays eventually. You can fix miscommunication on those busted coverages. Nobody in our district will have WRs like that. PAM is probably the closest. The motion had a lot to do with it too. It's going to be good tape going forward.

8 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Our secondary is exposed badly, teams are going to test them the rest of the season

At least they know there is work to do on that end. BH will definitely try to hit us with some slants. May not have the talent at WR like Tyler. But the Qb is much better and they'll have better play calling. 

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

At least they know there is work to do on that end. BH will definitely try to hit us with some slants. May not have the talent at WR like Tyler. But the Qb is much better and they'll have better play calling. 

What make you say the BH QB is better? The Tyler QB  stood in the pocket and took a beating tonight, and threw strike after strike with a Panther in his face many times.  I'll give that kid his due.

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

What make you say the BH QB is better? The Tyler QB  stood in the pocket and took a beating tonight, and threw strike after strike with a Panther in his face many times.  I'll give that kid his due.

Wasn't taking anything away from the Tyler Qb. Kid is tough as nails. I'm just going by what I have seen from both. Two things can be true. 

Just don't know how to analyze this game exactly, I don't feel bad about it, certainly happy to win the game.  

First of all ,my prayers are with Preston, and that the injury is not severe.  That the Lord will lift him up, and help him to heal.

My observation:

1. Kevo Taylor must touch the ball a lot the rest of the season.

2. Johnson in his first live action had his moments both good and bad, but mostly good. He is going to be the guy at QB for much of the rest of the season. Had to get his feet wet sometimes. Coutee had a good night at QB and a couple receptions too.

3. Lufkin special teams saved our butts tonight, great play and scoring on their part. Cover teams, Kevo returning kicks and Hansard sticking the ball inside the 20 twice in the 4th. 

4. The Panthers two fumbled snaps inside the Red Zone, the block in the back 20 yards behind the play on the Kevo TD punt were difference makers in whether this was a blow out or a closer game as it ended up.  Those plays cost us a possible 21 points. Lufkin had 4 TO on the night to 2 for Tyler. 

5.  The Lufkin D had three huge breakdowns in pass coverage and gave up one long run, other than that played great run D, got some TOs, 2 safeties, had 4 or 5 sacks or pressured the Tyler QB much of the night. 

6. Tyler had the best passing offense I've seen in many years with a couple of DI WRs, but all of them had speed to burn. Lufkin helped that some with either busted coverages or were not in right D set.  Someone will need to explain this because it looked real ugly on our side.

7.  Waters is a tough and determined RB, kid ran hard.

8. Won the game by 12, should have been more, and it also could have been less, big plays back and forth, turnovers, momentum shifts all played a part in this outcome.

9. Coutee looked good catching the ball, both he and K Hooper, like Kevo need the football in their hands more. 

10.  Everything that went awry this game is fixable,  good test for the secondary before district.  Whether this was an off night or not, the mistakes helped Tyler look better IMO, and the Pack still won by 12 on the road.  This Panther group is going to be just fine.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-roar-past-lions-39-27/article_1d529962-b10f-561f-8172-f01a06e56206.html

Panthers roar past Lions, 39-27

It was a back-and-forth contest here Friday night at Christus Mother Frances Rose Stadium between Lufkin and Tyler.

The Panthers were in control early and the Lions rallied back to cut the deficit to three twice in the second half, but Lufkin got a 95-yard kickoff return touchdown from KeVondrick Taylor early in the fourth quarter and a late safety from Ross Byrd to seal a 39-27 win over the Lions.

The game had a scary moment late in the third period when wide receiver Krisean Preston caught a short pass from QB Javion Johnson and was hit hard on the play. Preston was taken off the field on a stretcher and taken to a local hospital.

After the game, Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said he had news that Preston was responding, and they were headed to check on him. He later said he was talking and also resting at the hospital while waiting on an X-ray and CAT scan.

The first half saw each team commit two turnovers and the Panthers block a punt out of the end zone for a safety.

Lufkin’s first score came after Keshawn Waters picked off a Tyler pass.

The Panthers took over at their own 35 and used 12 plays to drive for a score.

QB Quincy Coutee was efficient on the drive, hitting on all four passes he threw. Taylor had a catch for 26 yards, Preston had two for 17 and Keandre Hooper had one for 10.

Coutee capped the drive with a 7-yard keeper to put Lufkin ahead early. Taylor ran in the two-point try to make it 8-0.

Tyler’s Cadarius Miller was stopped on the ensuing kickoff return at the 11, which helped set up the next score.

The Lions had to punt from their end zone and Keandre Hooper came around unblocked to block the punt. The ball went out of the back of the end zone before Kaleb Barraza could get to the ball and Lufkin got a safety to go ahead 10-0.

A 49-yard run by Coutee gave the Panthers a first and goal at the one early in the second quarter, but a bad snap turned the ball over.

The Panthers got the ball back just three plays later. A pass from Caden Granberry was tipped and Kenneth Timmons came up with the pick, putting Lufkin at the Lions’ 16.

The Panthers used just three plays before scoring on a 7-yard run by Taylor. The two-point try failed and Lufkin led 16-0.

Tyler stayed in the game with a touchdown on the next series.

Granberry hit on three of four passes on the drive, connecting with LeTreyson Haralson on a 25-yarder for the score. Marvin Espinal connected on the PAT to make it 16-7.

The Panthers answered in just four plays. After a pair of runs that netted just two yards, QB Javion Johnson came in for his first snaps of the season.

Johnson hit Taylor for 13 yards and a first down on his first play. Johnson threw short to Preston on the next play and Preston outran the defense 55 yards for the touchdown. Nolan Hansard made the extra point to make it 23-7 with 3:25 left in the half.

The Panthers didn’t score again until the fourth period and Tyler was able to get back in the game.

Tyler got a 40-yard field goal from Espinal on the final play of the first half to cut the lead to 23-10.

The Lions got a 55-yard pass from Granberry to Davion Shires early in the second half, but the drive stalled at the Panthers’ 20. A 37-yard field goal by Espinal made it 23-13.

An interception by Tyler’s Jeremiah Taylor late in the third period set the Lions up at the Panthers’ 27.

Lufkin’s defense forced a fourth and 10, but Granberry found Davion Shires for a 27-yard strike to cut the lead to 23-20.

Preston was injured on the next series on the next to last play of the third quarter.

Waters had a run of 15 on the drive, then two plays later popped a 39-yard run up the middle for a score. The PAT by Hansard made it 30-20 early in the fourth.

The Lions got a 56-yard kickoff return from Caiden Drummer to get the ball to Lufkin’s 39. On the next play, Granberry hit Haralson down the middle for a touchdown. Espinal’s PAT cut it to 30-27.

Lufkin had an answer. Taylor took the ensuing kickoff down the left side and made a move on the sideline to cut the ball back to the middle of the field and outrace the defense to the end zone. Hansard’s PAT made it 37-27.

Lufkin’s defense held Tyler to a pair of three-and-outs and the Panthers got another safety late as Byrd pulled down Granberry in the end zone with 2:36 to play to make it 39-27.

The Panthers held the Lions on their next series and ran out the clock to take the win.

Waters had 156 yards rushing on the night and one score. Taylor had a rushing TD, four catches for 89 yards and the 95-yard kick return.

Coutee completed 6 of 8 passes for 103 yards and ran for a score. Johnson was 6 of 7 for 108 yards and a score.

The Panthers (3-1) will open district play at home next week against Barbers Hill.

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

TEAM STATISTICS by Tyler Telegraph News:

LUF              TYL

First downs               18                 13

Rushing             42-206            24-27

Passing                  211                282

Total                      417                309

C-A-I                12-20-2         15-27-2

Punts-Ave.         4-39.0            4-37.0

Fumbles-Lost           5-2                0-0

Penalities-Yards    13-35              5-23

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING — Lufkin: Kenneth Waters 28-157, Quincy Coutee 3-50, Gavin Phillips 4-18, KeVondrick Taylor 1-7, Javon Johnson 2-(-4), Team 4-(-22).  Tyler: Ashton Arriaga 11-35, Cadarius McMiller 10-10, Caden Granberry 3-(-18). 

PASSING — Lufkin: Javon Johnson 6-10-1-108, Quincy Coutee 6-9-0-103, KeVondrick Taylor 0-1-1-0. Tyler: Caden Granberry 15-27-2 284.

RECEIVING — Lufkin: Krisean Preston 5-84, KeVondrick Taylor 4-89, Quincy Coutee 2-28, Keandre Hooper 1-10. Tyler: Davion Sirles 7-149, LaTreyson Haralson 4-81, Nicholas Collins 4-52.

Friday Night scores from District 9-5A DI and other 2024 Panther non district opponents:

Galveston Ball 54  6A Houston Westside  17

Barbers Hill  49  6A Richmond Foster  7

Beaumont United 14  4A DII  Jasper  10

4A DII Silsbee 27   Beaumont West Brook  13

Baytown Sterling  56    6A Houston Chavez  0    (played on Thursday night)

PAM and (0-3) Cleburne play Saturday.

Ruston La  21  Longview  10

Bryan Rudder  42  Nacogdoches  10

Ft Smith Southside  41 LR Southwest  28

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Just don't know how to analyze this game exactly, I don't feel bad about it, certainly happy to win the game.  

First of all ,my prayers are with Preston, and that the injury is not severe.  That the Lord will lift him up, and help him to heal.

My observation:

1. Kevo Taylor must touch the ball a lot the rest of the season.

2. Johnson in his first live action had his moments both good and bad, but mostly good. He is going to be the guy at QB for much of the rest of the season. Had to get his feet wet sometimes. Coutee had a good night at QB and a couple receptions too.

3. Lufkin special teams save our butts tonight, great play and scoring on their part. Cover teams, Kevo returning kicks and Hansard sticking the ball inside the 20 twice in the 4th. 

4. The Panthers two fumbled snaps inside the Red Zone, the block in the back 20 yards behind the play on the Kevo TD punt were difference makers in whether this was a blow out or a close game as it ended up.  Those plays cost us a possible 21 points. Lufkin had 4 TO on the night to 2 for Tyler. 

5.  The Lufkin D had three huge breakdowns in pass coverage and gave up one long run, other than that played great run D, got some TO, 2 safeties, and generally sacked or pressured the Tyler QB much of the night. 

6. Tyler had the best passing offense I've seen in many years with a couple of DI WRs, but all of them had speed to burn. Lufkin helped that some with either busted coverages or were not in right D set.  Someone will need to explain this because it looked real ugly on our side.

7.  Waters is a tough and determined RB, kid ran hard.

8. Won the game by 12, should have been more, and it also could have been less, big plays back and forth, turnovers, momentum shifts all played a part in this outcome.

9. Coutee looked good catching the ball, both he and K Hooper, like Kevo need the football in their hands more. 

10.  Everything that went awry this game is fixable,  good test for the secondary before district.  Whether this was an off night or not, the mistakes helped Tyler look better IMO, and the Pack still won by 12 on the road.  This Panther group is going to be just fine.

Ok so after talking with my son. When Tyler was sending that guy in motion and running certain routes it was completely messing with our coverage concepts and that's why you saw guys running wide open. I Initially thought we jumped into our sub package "Falcon" which we did but before that when you started seeing #9 and #15 on the field at the same time we started running our Sky coverage defense with our 2 best coverage OLB's on the field and it completely took away Tyler manipulating our coverage concepts. So it was a good adjustment late by the DC to figure out what was happening and get it corrected. So going forward if teams try to exploit our base coverage you will see Lufkin go to what they call Sky coverage or Falcon package sooner I imagine. Also on that last Tyler TD on 4th down. Coach was trying to send another DB on the field and the kid didn't go on the field. So during that confusion. The 4th down play I believe was sent in wrong which caused the coverage break. Good news is now that we have seen it. We will know what adjustments to make in real time to combat teams trying to do this. I'd much rather us go through that last night at Tyler then down the road trying to figure that out on the fly in a bigger game. 

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I haven't watched a ton of film on the BH QB. I'll dive into later next week but initially he's not anything special. Doesn't have the experience or the WRs that Tyler's QB had. He's not a bad QB but I don't think he's going to present anything challenging. BH has lost its best RB and WR for the season. I expect Lufkin to be just fine against those guys. Should win it by a few scores if I'm being perfectly honest. 

7 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I haven't watched a ton of film on the BH QB. I'll dive into later next week but initially he's not anything special. Doesn't have the experience or the WRs that Tyler's QB had. He's not a bad QB but I don't think he's going to present anything challenging. BH has lost its best RB and WR for the season. I expect Lufkin to be just fine against those guys. Should win it by a few scores if I'm being perfectly honest. 

One thing is for sure, that Granberry kid from Tyler is one tough kid, but my money says he's a sore puppy this morning. Lufkin D was relentless on him last night, he made two TD strikes while getting pancaked. 

30 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

One thing is for sure, that Granberry kid from Tyler is one tough kid, but my money says he's a sore puppy this morning. Lufkin D was relentless on him last night, he made two TD strikes while getting pancaked. 

Yeah the kid is tough as nails. Just looking at him. He doesn't look like much but he can play. 

Lufkin's SOS took a little hit last night with Longview (2-2), Nacogdoches (2-2) and LRSW (0-3) all losing and us defeating Tyler (2-2).  SOS (6-9)

In contrast Barbers Hill SOS looks like this, New Caney (0-3), Manvel (1-3), Deer Park (3-1) and Richmond Foster (0-4). SOS (4-11)

39 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin's SOS took a little hit last night with Longview (2-2), Nacogdoches (2-2) and LRSW (0-3) all losing and us defeating Tyler (2-2).  SOS (6-9)

In contrast Barbers Hill SOS looks like this, New Caney (0-3), Manvel (1-3), Deer Park (3-1) and Richmond Foster (0-4). SOS (4-11)

Take into consideration Longview's two losses have been to teams that would probably beat everyone else in our district too. SOC and Ruston are both really good teams. Deer Park had been the only team with a pulse that BH has played and they gave up 50 in a loss. Deer Park only loss is a blowout to The Woodlands. 

Just want to say about our offense, as a group, is a work in progress.  Sometimes the running game looks right in sync, then you have 4 or 5 plays that just get blown up.  We talk about Johnson's potential to run the ball, I want to eventually see that happen. The OL is better than the past two years, not going to say any negatives, continue to get better and find consistency.

The passing game has been managed well to this point with Coutee filling in while Johnson has been out,  and with the skilled talent that is there, the short and middle game with yardage after catch has been really good. I just think the potential is therefor our O to be a legit strength to go with the Pack Defense as the team heads into district.

33 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Take into consideration Longview's two losses have been to teams that would probably beat everyone else in our district too. SOC and Ruston are both really good teams. Deer Park had been the only team with a pulse that BH has played and they gave up 50 in a loss. Deer Park only loss is a blowout to The Woodlands. 

Trying not to read too much into the non district competition, for all practical purposes Longview and Tyler are the only two legit teams we have faced in non district. Huntsville who we scrimmaged is Ranked #8 in 5A DII.  Your point on who BH, having not played many competitive teams.  I think all that goes out the window this week, because all the experimenting should be over by now, teams normally know where they stand by this part of the season. 

Longview is going zonkers right now losing games back to back at home, but to who??, #2 5A DII SOC and #1 5A Ruston La.  I would not worry too much, they will be fine in district.  Hard to swallow losing back to back at home, since it hasn't happen since 2000.  Lots of their fans were not around back then to remember. 

Here's my rabbit trail thinking. Although THW beat Deer Park 52-24, the score was only 28-24 at the beginning of the 4th quarter.  Then again (3-1) THW is not the power in 6A of the past as they lost at home to Willis (4-0) last night 45-42, while Deer Park got by Clear Falls (2-2) 36-34.  Trent Miller has done a great job building that Willis program since 2022, previously coached at Spring.  

Can't emphasize how big winning the 1st district game is for a district race.  Lufkin has not done that in a while now, won the first district game or won a key district game period. 

Off topic a bit. CTMF Rose concessions advertised HOT DOGS, so anyway, bought them and found out they were really Sausage Dogs. I was wondering if they were the Earl Campbell Smoked Sausages. Man, those were really good.