2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, timeout! said:

BH offense is not as explosive without their starting RB. Still will be a big test for our team. I think the main thing for us is to keep improving on offense. And certain players on defense will have to learn to keep their composure. 

Their RB #2, Soph Morton is their go to guy out of the backfield. They use him everywhere, RB, wildcat, slot, screens, he scored 4 TDs against Deer Park.

57 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Their RB #2, Soph Morton is their go to guy out of the backfield. They use him everywhere, RB, wildcat, slot, screens, he scored 4 TDs against Deer Park.

They have some depth. Lufkin will need to come in focus in a couple of weeks. I hope Tyler is good test for us. We need a challenge before district begins.

This was the kid they mostly used until his recent injury.

28 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't want to get to far ahead of myself. Still got Tyler but I have 0 concern when Barbers Hill comes to town. We ain't Deer Park.

BH fans talks about playing all 6A teams in non district, like its a badge of distinction. The problem is most all of those 6A teams this year are just average or less in their 2024 version.  New Caney and Manvel don't  seem to be the programs they were the past 2 or 3 years. However Manvel did wake up last week and beat 6A Pasadena Memorial 75-21 who was 2-0 at the time.

Ball beat Manvel 54-26, while BH beat Manvel 21-13. Ball is the team I am watching closely although they have not played one decent contender in non district.  Things won't improve this week as they play 0-3 Westside. PAM is the ranked team, and I have been surprised by the number of points they have been giving up to their opponents. FB Hightower is the best ranked team they have played, much like Lufkin playing Longview.  Watched some of that game. PAM is tough, they don't quit and had a chance to win that game. Looking forward to heading to Tyler this week, the Lions are always a challenge to play.

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

PN, if 2004 Lufkin played 2024 Lufkin, what would the score be? Would the 04 offense torch the 24 defense? 

PN would know better of course,  he was on that team.  I'll say the two teams defenses were similar, McKinner Dixon, Alton Dixon, Leonard Hewitt just to name three. If the 2024 team could control J Lane running the ball, then Jacovey Smallwood would need to get the ball to Wallace, Gardner or Shankle. That offense was proficient at both. Think Jamie Fernandez was the kicker too, he could blast those long FGs. It certainly would be interesting to see the 2004 O against the 2024 D. Man that's just hard to say, Lane Train was a load. That 2004 group also making the semi finals are some big shoes to fill.

Really want to hear PN get in with his analysis.

5A DI Beaumont West Brook is playing 4A DII Silsbee this week to get ready for district play.  They also defeated 4A DI Lumberton 19-16 a couple weeks ago.   Not many teams play three classifications down, Lufkin certainly hasn't, except if you count the Mexico teams.   What happen to the West Brook program who use to be so formidable just a few years ago and gave Longview a run for their money in the 2018 State title game?

Beaumont United is playing 4A DII Jasper this week?????   That really gets one prepared for district.  They open district with PAM???  That's going to get ugly.

DCTF Top Ten in 5A DI is out for Week #4.  A new surprise.

#1 Denton Ryan

#2 Highland Park

#3 Aledo

#4 College Station

#5 Frisco Lone Star

#6 FW Richland

#7 A&M Consolidated

#8 San Antonio Pieper

# 9 Galveston Ball

#10  Port Arthur Memorial

Dropped out: Abilene and Pflugerville Weiss

42 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

5A DI Beaumont West Brook is playing 4A DII Silsbee this week to get ready for district play.  They also defeated 4A DI Lumberton 19-16 a couple weeks ago.   Not many teams play three classifications down, Lufkin certainly hasn't, except if you count the Mexico teams.   What happen to the West Brook program who use to be so formidable just a few years ago and gave Longview a run for their money in the 2018 State title game?

Beaumont United is playing 4A DII Jasper this week?????   That really gets one prepared for district.  They open district with PAM???  That's going to get ugly.

🤣🤣 Man I agree so much. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

PN would know better of course,  he was on that team.  I'll say the two teams defenses were similar, McKinner Dixon, Alton Dixon, Leonard Hewitt just to name three. If the 2024 team could control J Lane running the ball, then Jacovey Smallwood would need to get the ball to Wallace, Gardner or Shankle. That offense was proficient at both. Think Jamie Fernandez was the kicker too, he could blast those long FGs. It certainly would be interesting to see the 2004 O against the 2024 D. Man that's just hard to say, Lane Train was a load. That 2004 group also making the semi finals are some big shoes to fill.

Really want to hear PN get in with his analysis.

I figure the 24 offense would have a really hard time moving consistently on the 04 defense. I think the 24 defense would do well for a little while, but would be on the field too much and the speed and size of that 04 offense would take its toll. I know how big PN is on this group, especially defensively, so I’m curious as to what he thinks. Obviously a lot of things are different, so it’s hard to say but just a hypothetical matchup. Had a guy at my daughters tournament the other day get into all of this. He thought the 2017 team was better than any of the 02-06 squads but I beg to differ. Just the natural abilities and football IQ those guys had through those years were through the roof. 

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Coach Peevy left Westbrook for a better paying AD job i believe a few seasons ago. They didn’t have many kids when we used to play them too, so I’m sure Beaumont United is taking some of their depth as well. At least i guess that’s whats happening. 

6 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

PN, if 2004 Lufkin played 2024 Lufkin, what would the score be? Would the 04 offense torch the 24 defense? 

It's tough to say right now because this team still needs to put the work to even be compared to the 04 team.  They have potential but that's it until they actually go out and prove it. They have to win out and be 9-1 headed to the playoffs and then we can have this discussion.

There is going to be a great game down in Houston this Friday night, Houston Yates vs Houston Wheatley. There will be two Lufkin Alumni coaching against each other.  Yates AD/HC Ralph Thomas vs Wheatley's AD/HC Cornelius McFarland. This has got to be a first for Lufkin.

2024 District 9-5A Division I Standings