2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

3 minutes ago, haleyscomet said:

The stupidest thing I’ve maybe ever seen. Your senior linebacker in a 56-0. Just when I think this staff can’t make anymore mistakes they do it again.

Yep! No need for him to be in the game at that point.

Also irks me to see Green calling Qb keeps for Kevo this late in the game. Why risk getting one of your most dynamic offensive weapons at wr getting hurt playing qb this late?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad we finally put up some points and got a win 

As much as I hate to say it, we still have a lot to work on 

Nac is horrible 

I know Wr Preston is frustrated teams don’t have to stop him we simply limit him ourselves, we have a huge deep threat but can’t complete a pass over 7-10yds you can’t tell me there are no other kids in the program that can get the job done

22 minutes ago, ConcernedFormerPanther said:

Glad we finally put up some points and got a win 

As much as I hate to say it, we still have a lot to work on 

Nac is horrible 

I know Wr Preston is frustrated teams don’t have to stop him we simply limit him ourselves, we have a huge deep threat but can’t complete a pass over 7-10yds you can’t tell me there are no other kids in the program that can get the job done

When QB1 comes back, things will change. 

It was a 56-0 win. Nacogdoches was outclassed, they have some things to work on, like snapping the ball. However, they have some skilled players with a ton of speed and moves. They play in a tough district.  

The officials missed a bunch of holding tonight, but it didn't make a difference. 

Lufkin had 5 or 6 offsides penalties,  need to fix that part. D played well again, did everything they were suppose to do. It was a shut out. 

Kicking game and special teams were superb, those two are going to pay dividends all year, no matter who we play.

The O needed this game the most, got a ton of good work in. WRs were involved, running game has several who can tote the ball, Coutee had a good night. Have a lot of talent to unleash on that side of the ball. 

Nac was not great, Lufkin needed the work, and it was a big win.  Pack are 1-1 headed to Texarkana next week.

Going to give a compliment, thought the play calling and execution was good tonight. I complain about that a lot, so I give thumbs up when it is a good job  Hope that continues the rest of the year.

1 minute ago, LufkinPack said:

When QB1 comes back, things will change. 

We gotta keep him healthy. Just hope Green don't run him in the ground. 

Johnson will have one warmup game against a weak Tyler High team. And then things ramp up significantly against Barbers Hill. Not sure how much better we can get with the remaining non-district schedule. 

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

It was a 56-0 win. Nacogdoches was outclassed, they have some things to work on, like snapping the ball. However, they have some skilled players with a ton of speed and moves. They play in a tough district.  

The officials missed a bunch of holding tonight, but it didn't make a difference. 

Lufkin had 5 or 6 offsides penalties,  need to fix that part. D played well again, did everything they were suppose to do. It was a shut out. 

Kicking game and special teams were superb, those two are going to pay dividends all year, no matter who we play.

The O needed this game the most, got a ton of good work in. WRs were involved, running game has several who can tote the ball, Coutee had a goid night. Have a lot of talent to unleash on that side of the ball. 

Nac was not great, Lufkin needed the work, and it was a big win.  Pack are 1-1 headed to Texarkana next week.  More later.

Only giving up a total of 7 points in two games is still nice. Hope Hooper is ok.

Week #2 Scores from District 9-5A DI:

Lufkin 56   Nacogdoches  0

Barbers Hill  21  Manvel  13

Port Neches Groves  45   Beaumont United  14

Baytown Sterling  40  Galena Park  10

Beaumont West Brook  19  Lumberton  16

Galveston Ball  27  Texas City 0

Port Arthur Memorial 41  Houston Legacy 34

Good game to get some licks in,just tell me two things.One who is the announcer,please tell him plz,anounce Lufkin Panthers first when at home tired of hearing  0-22 lufkin Panthers.Put a few more subs in,not gonna hurt to let em play kickoff teams,when your up 45.Good showing Pack,keep the storm a coming!

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Week #2 Scores from District 9-5A DI:

Lufkin 56   Nacogdoches  0

Barbers Hill  21  Manvel  13

Port Neches Groves  45   Beaumont United  14

Baytown Sterling  40  Galena Park  10

Beaumont West Brook  19  Lumberton  16

Galveston Ball  27  Texas City 0

Port Arthur Memorial 41  Houston Legacy 34

Barbers Hill must not be nearly as good as I thought. PAM also has a surprising score tonight. Houston Legacy is not a good football team. Consolidated also beat Forney tonight 35-34. 

18 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Barbers Hill must not be nearly as good as I thought. PAM also has a surprising score tonight. Houston Legacy is not a good football team. Consolidated also beat Forney tonight 35-34. 

6A Manvel, 5A DII Texas City, 5A DI Galena Park and 4A DI Lumberton are terrible teams, as was Nacogdoches. 

Houston Legacy  (School of Sports Sciences)  is terrible, they beat a 3A team by 1 point last week.

Hard to judge.  It will be all about matchups when district begins.

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

6A Manvel, 5A DII Texas City, 5A DI Galena Park and 4A DI Lumberton are terrible teams, as was Nacogdoches. 

Houston Legacy  (School of Sports Sciences)  is terrible, they beat a 3A team by 1 point last week.

Hard to judge.  It will be all about matchups when district begins.

We should win it. 

I have a complaint tonight, it's a big one.  Do not want our kids maybe costing this team a big game down the road because they can't keep their composure.  Those unsportsman-like penalties are unnecessary.  Those things must stop.

33 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I have a complaint tonight, it's a big one.  Do not want our kids maybe costing this team a big game down the road because they can't keep their composure.  Those unsportsman-like penalties are unnecessary.  Those things must stop.

And it's the same kid. He's a good player but my goodness he had a big one against Lancaster last year that cost us. 

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/lufkin-smacks-nac/article_229aac18-1e89-5afd-aa22-cc4e3fc1bea9.html

Lufkin’s offense was clicking all night, the defense came up with three turnovers and the Panthers blanked the Nacogdoches Dragons 56-0 on John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium in the 105th meeting between the two rivals.

Kenneth Waters rushed for 132 yards and three scores and the Panthers got interceptions from Desmen Hood and Kenneth Timmons, and Elijah Alexander had a fumble recovery, his third of the season, in the Panthers’ win.

Lufkin held the Dragons to just 151 yards on the night. Tyren Mathews led Nacogdoches with 24 yards on the ground on 17 carries and was 7 of 17 passing for 51 yards with two picks.

In his second start for the Panthers, QB Quincy Coutee completed 6-of-9 passes for 103 yards and scored on a 38-yard run. 

“The offensive line was really good tonight as far as being able to run the football,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “Our timing and us being efficient offensively with Coutee and everyone around him was really good.

“On defense we were able to steal some possessions. They did some things a little bit different early, but we were able to get off the field.”

Ke’Vondrick Taylor had a 52 yard punt return for a TD.  Kenneth Timmons had a great INT he returned 49 yards. DeMarkus Chinn had 66 yards rushing. 

Lufkin (1-1) will face Little Rock Southwest in Texarkana on Friday. Nacogdoches (1-1) will host Livingston on Friday.

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

The Lufkin D has created 6 TO through their first two games.  The O has 3 turnovers in two games.  Lufkin had the one TO at the goal line last night that turned into a touchback.

Although the Lufkin article gives the total stats for Nacogdoches on the night,  it mentions Lufkin passing total of 103 yards. Although the LDN doesn't say, the Panthers  probably had over 250 yards rushing against Nacogdoches.