2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

This clock management problem is a constant topic of conversation.  Do the coaches not understand this problem?, and why does it continued as an issue with this program.

It's really a skill. Outlaw was pretty good at it. It helps if you have a good offense that can control the tempo. You can be a little more aggressive too. Late in that 2nd quarter we should have just ran out clock after getting that initial first down right before Longview got it back. Offense was struggling and the weather was bad and they hadn't shown any ability of putting together a drive up to that point. We threw an incomplete pass on 1st down and that allowed Longview to use their last 2 timeouts and get it back. We run it 3 times there the half is over. I don't mind being aggressive but everything in that situation says just lay it down and regroup for second half. 

43 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

It's really a skill. Outlaw was pretty good at it. It helps if you have a good offense that can control the tempo. You can be a little more aggressive too. Late in that 2nd quarter we should have just ran out clock after getting that initial first down right before Longview got it back. Offense was struggling and the weather was bad and they hadn't shown any ability of putting together a drive up to that point. We threw an incomplete pass on 1st down and that allowed Longview to use their last 2 timeouts and get it back. We run it 3 times there the half is over. I don't mind being aggressive but everything in that situation says just lay it down and regroup for second half. 

100%. I just don’t know why it’s so hard for our OC to think this way lol 

50 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

100%. I just don’t know why it’s so hard for our OC to think this way lol 

I don’t even blame him anymore. I blame the people that don’t put pressure on him to do better. If we failed at our jobs like this man, we wouldn’t have jobs. But I’m sure he blames the failures on the lack of talent the last few years and the LV loss on the Qb being out, even though that’s on him not having the backup prepared. Let me shut up though..

Good luck to the Pack tonight! Hope we blowout roaches. 

1 minute ago, Pack007 said:

I don’t even blame him anymore. I blame the people that don’t put pressure on him to do better. If we failed at our jobs like this man, we wouldn’t have jobs. But I’m sure he blames the failures on the lack of talent the last few years and the LV loss on the Qb being out, even though that’s on him not having the backup prepared. Let me shut up though..

Good luck to the Pack tonight! Hope we blowout roaches. 

Exactly. And like PA said, I really don’t even know why me or anybody else says anything anymore. The fact that it’s been allowed for this long is just one of the worlds greatest mystery’s to me 🤣

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Exactly. And like PA said, I really don’t even know why me or anybody else says anything anymore. The fact that it’s been allowed for this long is just one of the worlds greatest mystery’s to me 🤣

Frankly, the questions about this should have always been aimed at the top, the Big Don in charge of all the decision making. Our OC was just a carry over from Outlaw's tenure here, he was allowed to inherited his spot. Everything reflects to the top, only the Don can put things in proper order.

35 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Frankly, the questions about this should have always been aimed at the top, the Big Don in charge of all the decision making. Our OC was just a carry over from Outlaw's tenure here, he was allowed to inherited his spot. Everything reflects to the top, only the Don can put things in proper order.

The biggest thing that gets me when it comes to our offense is the lack of using tempo to our advantage. If you're gonna run the same plays as the past 20 years you might as well run them fast. It takes him entirely to long to get the play in. Even signaling the play in takes way to long. Just watch tonight all the hand signals he has to do. I know I've said this a million times. Call the play and line up as fast as possible and adjust from their if you don't like the look. You can even hard count and get the defense to shows it's hand and audible to a better play. I understand not having your QB does slow things down and I'm mainly speaking about past seasons because I have no problem with the tempo from last week. It was just that kind of game but definitely going forward he really needs to think about trying to implement something and remember it's not all about running the plays as fast as you can. It's more about getting lined up and making adjustments.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Yep, true. Can’t even blame the guy anymore. He’s allowed to do it. This is on Quick and the new superintendent at this point. I just hope he retires soon. He definitely has the years to do it.

I think we all want to see some fresh ideas on that side. Not the same basic spread plays every year. 

27 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Yep, true. Can’t even blame the guy anymore. He’s allowed to do it. This is on Quick and the new superintendent at this point. I just hope he retires soon. He definitely has the years to do it.

I think we all want to see some fresh ideas on that side. Not the same basic spread plays every year. 

It’s tough to want to retire when you’re making 90K+ a year and don’t really have to be successful at what you’re doing. There’s no pressure so why not chill and collect a check ya know. 

58 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

97K is what I’m told. Don’t let me lie to you though. 

im not sure if that line includes incentives or if it’s just a straight salary idk lol. 

It might add up if they have Asst HC attached to OC.