2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

10 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

I am legitimately shocked. 

Woods is a good coach, went back rewatched this morning and it looks like they simply got destroyed in the trenches on both sides of the ball...which is also something that I didn't see happening going into the game. I knew Marshall's offensive line had some juice especially along the left side but ------, Tyler got whipped up front.

Longview will be alright once they address ball security and tweak some things. I wish we would start our best QB but Mav isnt going to hurt us at the same time because he has the legs to keep defenses honest.

Who's LV best QB, because that little guy can't be it

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Someone told me today that Texas is one of the just 11 States who do not allow NIL money for HS athletes. This true?  

NIL will eventually ruin college ball, and kids should not be paid to play a sport in HS . What's next?, paying 11 year olds to play Little League ball?

Right 

36 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Who's LV best QB, because that little guy can't be it

The Lobo fans think #15, Sophomore Jonny Hamilton is the QB of their future.

Lukin Panther game highlights against Longview. Gary Ivins on the calls. 

You can tell JaBryce Taylor is excited to be back with the Panthers, an excited coach after every big play. He is good for these kids.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/ZKcrnL8ErLpJv6hf/?mibextid=qi2Om

Happy Labor Day!! 2024

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

I find it hilarious that the “little ol ball coach from Huntington” out coaches Scott green on a daily basis 🤣. Sody has done a fantastic job with the defense. Does anybody else get any satisfaction out of that or is that just me being an a$$hole? Lol 

Not at all. There is nothing sophisticated about what Green does on offense.  On our next to last offensive series, the Lobo linebackers KNEW we were running the ball all three times, they turned and called up their safeties twice. A good OC sees that and makes adjustments, not Green, he stick to the plan. Maybe he could not with Coutee?, but I guarantee at that stage of the game, that was poor play calling. We will be talking about this at the end of the season too, because I dont think Green, or Quick changes much. Johnson's return is needed, not sure even that will overcome the poor play calling. Thankful for the D we have and the job Soddy has been doing on that side of the ball since he took over as DC. It's refreshing to see the intensity and good coaching on that side of the ball.

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

I find it hilarious that the “little ol ball coach from Huntington” out coaches Scott green on a daily basis 🤣. Sody has done a fantastic job with the defense. Does anybody else get any satisfaction out of that or is that just me being an a$$hole? Lol 

Coach Sodey has done an amazing job. I'm not surprised. He's an high energy guy and the kids love playing for him and he coaches the kids hard when he needs to. Just to give you an idea of how savvy he is. He specifically held out of running our bear and slide defense until the 2 half versus Longview so they couldn't make adjustments to it and if you noticed Longview really struggled in the 2nd half moving the ball. Talk about having a game plan. Longview didn't hand us the turnovers we went out and forced them and he's a big part of that. Not giving up on plays and ripping the ball carrier when you have him stood up. His blitz calls were timely Friday night and any success Longview had offensively was mainly because a misread by a Lufkin defender. I couldn't be any more impressed. I figured they had a chance to be special and only time will tell if they can reach that elite level but man they looked good.

17 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Coach Sodey has done an amazing job. I'm not surprised. He's an high energy guy and the kids love playing for him and he coaches the kids hard when he needs to. Just to give you an idea of how savvy he is. He specifically held out of running our bear and slide defense until the 2 half versus Longview so they couldn't make adjustments to it and if you noticed Longview really struggled in the 2nd half moving the ball. Talk about having a game plan. Longview didn't hand us the turnovers we went out and forced them and he's a big part of that. Not giving up on plays and ripping the ball carrier when you have him stood up. His blitz calls were timely Friday night and any success Longview had offensively was mainly because a misread by a Lufkin defender. I couldn't be any more impressed. I figured they had a chance to be special and only time will tell if they can reach that elite level but man they looked good.

I noticed the adjustment after half. Defense is solid. Especially against the run. I just hope we can get the offense going to help out. I also can’t wait until we play an opponent that can spread the ball out more. Get the secondary some work. Those teams might hurt us if we can’t move the ball offensively. I saw about 2 TD’s we probably would’ve had if Johnson played Friday, so I’m holding out hope. 

On 8/31/2024 at 1:06 PM, PackAttack said:

Think our D is as good as I have seen in many years, maybe going back to 03, 04 or 05. No kidding. Want to see the secondary operate a bit more, but our front 7? Very good, very quick, very physical.

Our State Champ team was based on strong D, we had an awesome LB corps and DBs then. Ju Parks in the middle of the DL. Our O was Reggie McNeal.

His legs and big play arm were the O. He only completed about 40% of his passes, but he could out throw any defensive coverage so he had a ton of one on one deep plays and the elusive wheels to take it to the house too. He was a double threat. 

Defense will win games when the O is average, in 03 and 04, Lufkin had great D and the Lane Train for O. He was a quadruple threat, running the ball, catching passes, QB wildcat/passing and punter.

Just saying this Lufkin team has the key component in place, and good special teams play from what I saw last night.

Get Johnson healthy and lets see what happens on the O. We know that Kevo and Waters can go, as well as Phillips, Hooper and Coutee. Coutee is an even better WR.

Other stuff comes into play too, that is out of our control, and for that matter the players too. Hoping to see good planning and good judgment unfold the rest of the season.

These senior players have a huge stake in this season.

I see 3 major issues offensively: 

1.) Play calling - think we’re to predictable often times! 

2.) OL - we need improvement upfront! We have to be able to utilize the running game.

3.) we don’t have any established passing game at this point . Maybe Johnson could help improve this area! But we still have two major issues. Would like to see them average about 21 per game at least . 

23 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

2.) OL - we need improvement upfront! We have to be able to utilize the running game.

3.) we don’t have any established passing game at this point . Maybe Johnson could help improve this area! But we still have two major issues. Would like to see them average about 21 per game at least . 

Nah bro. That’s ONE problem. The offense 🤣

2 hours ago, Pack05 said:

I'd feel more comfortable averaging 28-35 ppg. At some point as good as the defense is they will face a offense that will be able to score. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head last year but I think we were around 24-27 ppg. I'd like to see some improvement.

4 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I noticed the adjustment after half. Defense is solid. Especially against the run. I just hope we can get the offense going to help out. I also can’t wait until we play an opponent that can spread the ball out more. Get the secondary some work. Those teams might hurt us if we can’t move the ball offensively. I saw about 2 TD’s we probably would’ve had if Johnson played Friday, so I’m holding out hope. 

Going to be essential that we get something going. Johnson is more than capable at distributing the ball. Now his deep ball still needs work but the intermediate and short game have improved drastically but his off script plays is what I'm really looking forward too. That's when he's at his most dangerous.

13 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Going to be essential that we get something going. Johnson is more than capable at distributing the ball. Now his deep ball still needs work but the intermediate and short game have improved drastically but his off script plays is what I'm really looking forward too. That's when he's at his most dangerous.

Man, wish I had more faith that things will be okay when Johnson returns. Honestly, to me it's not the players talent, already say it too much all the time. You just can't look away at the coaching discrepancies we have watched the last several years. We will be talking about this all year, you can bet on it.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

It’s been a while since we’ve had a QB be able improvise and go off script. I’m looking forward to that too. I would like to think once Johnson gets in a rhythm and we can rack up some wins the confidence will only grow. 

56 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Man, wish I had more faith that things will be okay when Johnson returns. Honestly, to me it's not the players talent, already say it too much all the time. You just can't look away at the coaching discrepancies we have watched the last several years. We will be talking about this all year, you can bet on it.

No doubt. Same here but again, I’m holding out hope that Johnson can get some rhythm going. Obviously he’s gonna have to get some games under his belt and it might be a little bumpy early but if he can start connecting with those receivers and making plays with his legs I think they have a chance to be good enough with the defense to cause some issues for most teams. I dislike green with a passion and his play calling has cost us at least 1 championship! You’ll never convince me otherwise lol.. But there have been some years his O would average 35+ a season so let’s hope we can strike gold when Johnson gets going 👀 lol 

According to the 5A DI DCTF Power rankings this week Lufkin has moved down from #19 in the rankings to #22 after their 7-3 loss to Longview.  Longview moved from #31 to #34 in 6A rankings after defeating Lufkin. 

Port Arthur Memorial moved up  to #7 from #10.

Barbers Hill moved up to #18 from #21.

Galveston Ball moved up to #21 from #34.

Lufkin down to #22 from #19.

Beaumont United moved up  to #87 from #99

Baytown Sterling up to #91 from #93.

Beaumont Westbrook  #95  unchanged

District 9-5A DI standings after Week #1 non district games:

Barbers Hill 0-0 0.000 0 0 1-0-0 1.000 54 8 1
Port Arthur Memorial 0-0 0.000 0 0 1-0-0 1.000 30 17 1
Baytown Sterling 0-0 0.000 0 0 1-0-0 1.000 42 20 1
Beaumont United 0-0 0.000 0 0 1-0-0 1.000 26 21 1
Galveston Ball 0-0 0.000 0 0 1-0-0 1.000 54 26 1
Lufkin 0-0 0.000 0 0 0-1-0 0.000 3 7 1
Beaumont West Brook 0-0 0.000 0 0 0-1-0 0.000 17 27 1

Barbers Hill has a good QB, they have a well oiled offense with a creative OC that makes what they do look smooth and efficient, although they won 54-8, 6A New Caney are only ranked #183 in 6A.  BH plays #173 ranked 6A Manvel this week.

Galveston Ball looked good too with a 54-26 over 6A Manvel ranked #173 in 6A, and their opponent this week Texas City is 5A DII and ranked #23.  

As a comparison, 5A DI #22 Lufkin plays 5A DII #63 Nacogdoches.  

PAM a 30-17 over 6A Spring DeKaney ranked #73, will play The Legacy School of Sports Sciences at home on Friday, who defeated 3A DI Hitchcock last Friday 37-36.

BWB lost to 6A Aldine Eisenhower 27-17 ranked #197. They play 4A DI Lumberton ranked #59 this week. 

Sterling won 42-20 over #241 ranked 6A Goose Creek Memorial, they play 5A DI Galena Park ranked #99 this week.

Beaumont United won 26-21 over 6A Houston Bellaire ranked #214 and will play #1 ranked 5A DII Port Neches Groves this week.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-defense-has-strong-showing-in-opener/article_a81927f8-dd74-5e1a-9c26-0be1dbfcf688.html

Kenneth Waters had runs of 7, 10 and 27 yards in the second half and backup QB Ke’Vondrick Taylor provided a spark. Taylor picked up a fourth and one at midfield with an 11-yard run on the Panthers’ scoring drive that resulted in a 25-yard field goal from Hansard.

The scoring drive that led to the field goal started at the Lufkin 19 and took 12 plays and almost six minutes off the clock.

“Ke’Vondrick is very athletic and we’re going to have to continue that combination the next couple of weeks just because Javion won’t be ready to go,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “He’s coming back and he’s got one more week he’ll be off and we’ll start ramping him up, but we’re not throwing him to the wolves.

“We’re going to make sure he’s well. The two we have in there right now are the two we have to have. We have to get better at ball security and better in the offensive line.”

In the passing game, the Panthers hit on 6-of-18 passes for 31 yards, and the Lobos had two interceptions.

Defense: Big plays in the first half came from DL Elijah Alexander, who had two fumble recoveries, and DB Keshawn Waters, who had a fumble recovery.

The first turnover came at the end of a 40-yard pass from Rowe to Kieffer Doxey. The Panthers finally brought Doxey down inside the 20, and a fumble at the end of the play was recovered by Waters at the 16.

Alexander’s first recovery came at the end of a run by Washington at the Lufkin 25. Alexander returned the ball 11 yards to the Panthers’ 36.

Alexander’s second recovery came at the Panthers’ 39 after Rowe was dropped for a loss of 10 yards.

The defense made a fourth-down stop inside the 20 in the third quarter. On fourth and three from the Lufkin 16, several Panthers got in the backfield quickly to bring down Washington for a loss of three and end the series.

Late in the game, Panthers’ DB Sam Smith had a big hit on receiver De’Je’Un Owens for a one-yard loss.

Special teams: Hansard connected on his only field goal attempt, a 25-yarder early in the fourth to cut the lead to 7-3. Hansard punted eight times for an average of 31 yards.

The Panthers did not have a kickoff return in the game and returned two punts for five yards.

“I wasn’t pleased with the kicking game. We didn’t gain an advantage in the kicking game at all,” Quick said. “It didn’t kill us, it didn’t hurt us, but we have to gain an advantage there with the people we have and we did not."

The Panthers are at home again Friday against Nacogdoches.

Edwin Quarles' email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

Johnson not coming back until Tyler according to coach. 

Hard for me to understand why Phillips is not at QB, the team has enough RBs to get the job done without him there and Coutee can go back to catching footballs. The O has had no passing game in Huntsville or against Longview (31 total yds passing) with what they have decided to go with here.  It's not just the facts Johnson needs to be well before playing again, he certainly needs the work, more over our receivers need the work too.  They need to see something they can catch. 

Just don't fully understand,  guess there's a situation that precludes that happening with our offense. Phillips was the QB guy as a freshmen and they sure used him against Lancaster last year.  Nothing against Coutee, he is a WR playing QB, this can't be easy for him. So we will see how this situation develops, will there be positive progress moving forward?