2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

What I've seen so far is not so much the OL is not good, it's them going up against some really good DL guys. They will figure it out.

Yeah that’s was said last year too. Results said otherwise. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

I’ve only seen them going against the JV DL in practice!

They do 1s vs 1s for a short time.  Going against JV guys has always been the way around here going back to Outlaw times. Quick has changed little in practice from his Outlaw experience days. Well, one area, less winning.

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

They do 1s vs 1s for a short time.  Going against JV guys has always been the way around here going back to Outlaw times. Quick has changed little in practice from his Outlaw experience days. Well, one area, less winning.

They should be willing to do whatever it takes! OL has struggled for awhile now.

Ok, it seems we have a new Ms. Torres folks. Went to the Meet the Panthers, worst I've been to in many years. Seems they, the announcer can get her son's name called out, and her husband wasn't even there. Heard a lot of griping bout the principal this week. If our football  season is anything like the event tonight, we will have a long year! The video was good, band was ok, every one needs help. Some coaches showed, some didn't, some half-as$ walked out there. Its pitiful, starting with Mrs. McManus!

1 hour ago, LPPACK said:

Ok, it seems we have a new Ms. Torres folks. Went to the Meet the Panthers, worst I've been to in many years. Seems they, the announcer can get her son's name called out, and her husband wasn't even there. Heard a lot of griping bout the principal this week. If our football  season is anything like the event tonight, we will have a long year! The video was good, band was ok, every one needs help. Some coaches showed, some didn't, some half-as$ walked out there. Its pitiful, starting with Mrs. McManus!

I never go to Meet the Panthers anymore.  I'll leave it at that.  So many things have changed in Lufkin and the district since the Outlaw days, especially the last 9-10 years.  My hope is James Hockenberry can continue to right the ship and get the district back in shape, including our football program. Can't get everything done in one year, there will be more changes next year too. He had his work cut out for him when he arrived, and it was why he was hired. Lot of those issues didn't evolve over night.

30 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I never go to Meet the Panthers anymore.  I'll leave it at that.  So many things have changed in Lufkin and the district since the Outlaw days, especially the last 9-10 years.  My hope is James Hockenberry can continue to right the ship and get the district back in shape, including our football program. Can't get everything done in one year, there will be more changes next year too. He had his work cut out for him when he arrived, and it was why he was hired. Lot of those issues didn't evolve over night.

He was a great hire. He’s gonna hurt a lot of egos along the way and I’m here for it lol 

3 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

He was a great hire. He’s gonna hurt a lot of egos along the way and I’m here for it lol 

The people I know in the district seem to really like the direction he is taking things. Granted getting that raise for everyone helps a lot

21 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

The people I know in the district seem to really like the direction he is taking things. Granted getting that raise for everyone helps a lot

I’ve heard the same things. However, he’s not gonna put up with the buddy shyt. Lufkin is built on that. If you’re doing your job and you’re actually good for the district then fine. But if you’re just a waste of space drawing a salary, adios. 

14 hours ago, PackAttack said:

The OL? After watching today, I hope they find the best 5 out of that bunch. If they use Phillips blocking as HB or TE it would help. Lufkin has some beef and talented kids on that DL, they cause some tough sledding for the OL guys. I'm telling you, not much movement zone blocking, which I thoroughly don't understand, and hate at the same time.

There is some height and size on the Pack OL, surely they can find 5 decent OL players out of the 11 or so playing there.

QB can throw, in other words he can get it downfield, not always accurate and WR don't always catch him well. Has a lot of air under his deep throws. This is the part of the Panther O game that intrigues me the most.

Scrimmage on Friday will show some things, Longview will reveal even more. These days I'm always a little anxious, nervous and excited all at the same time about getting Panther football started.

No passes over the middle of the field so that opposing defenses can blitz linebackers to stuff inside run game and pressure the qb against 5 o line without consequenses all game and season long. 15 xy and z fly low percentage bombs a game guaranteed!

15 hours ago, PackAttack said:

The OL? After watching today, I hope they find the best 5 out of that bunch. If they use Phillips blocking as HB or TE it would help. Lufkin has some beef and talented kids on that DL, they cause some tough sledding for the OL guys. I'm telling you, not much movement zone blocking, which I thoroughly don't understand, and hate at the same time.

There is some height and size on the Pack OL, surely they can find 5 decent OL players out of the 11 or so playing there.

QB can throw, in other words he can get it downfield, not always accurate and WR don't always catch him well. Has a lot of air under his deep throws. This is the part of the Panther O game that intrigues me the most.

Scrimmage on Friday will show some things, Longview will reveal even more. These days I'm always a little anxious, nervous and excited all at the same time about getting Panther football started.

My son told me this morning he thinks the line is going to be ok this year. They're gonna keep Gio at Center which will definitely help the interior. They have a sophomore that has a chance to play at the next level if he continues to develop. To be fair they're going against a very experienced DL that is pretty good. They will have their hands full with the Longview DL Friday but they should be well prepared. Huntsville should also provide a nice look tonight.

7 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

My son told me this morning he thinks the line is going to be ok this year. They're gonna keep Gio at Center which will definitely help the interior. They have a sophomore that has a chance to play at the next level if he continues to develop. To be fair they're going against a very experienced DL that is pretty good. They will have their hands full with the Longview DL Friday but they should be well prepared. Huntsville should also provide a nice look tonight.

Good news to hear.  I did see where #57 Gio was working with the 1st team line at Center.  The OL has some size to work with for sure.  Not certain if I'll make the scrimmage this evening, if not, it will be the first one I've missed in several years.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

No passes over the middle of the field so that opposing defenses can blitz linebackers to stuff inside run game and pressure the qb against 5 o line without consequenses all game and season long. 15 xy and z fly low percentage bombs a game guaranteed!

I've been screaming about this for years. The best way to neutralize a blitz is just throw where the blitz is coming from. I re-watched the Consolidated game from a year ago and we had so much trouble with the blitz it was embarrassing. What I would do first is speed up the tempo of getting the play in and lined up and hard count to get the defense to show it's hand. Then adjust the play accordingly. I'm afraid you're right. Green is going to rely on his guys just out athleting and making plays. 

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Good news to hear.  I did see where #57 Gio was working with the 1st team line at Center.  The OL has some size to work with for sure.  Not certain if I'll make the scrimmage this evening, if not, it will be the first one I've missed in several years.

Huntsville will broadcast it tonight. So I'm gonna throw something on the grill and enjoy from my coach 😂

I watched most of the Longview and Texas high scrimmage and if we look like that tonight. I imagine this board will have a meltdown. It was just a scrimmage and Texas high usually gives them trouble but they looked bad last night. Why they won't play #15 at QB is beyond me. They are going to have serious trouble blocking on the edge without a TE. There RT #55 is going to be a liability next week. He has no chance against Hood coming off the edge. Defensively they looked much better than the offense. LBs probably the best part. That Reese kid in the middle is really good. Defensive line for the Lobos has clearly taken a step back but they aren't bad. I'll be honest Lufkin should absolutely win next week. I don't see how Longview is going to move the ball. Unless they hit some big PA pass plays. I think they're in serious trouble next Friday. 

After a week and a half of practice and going against each other, the Lufkin Panthers will get their first test of 2024 tonight in Huntsville.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/panthers-scrimmage-in-huntsville-tonight/article_508a79c2-f74f-5b6a-81f1-4bf19ae5459b.html

The Panthers will face a Huntsville team that lost to eventual state champion Port Neches-Groves in the regional finals of the 5A Division II playoffs last season.

“They’re always going to be real athletic and well-coached. Coach (Rodney) Southern does a great job there with all of those guys,” Lufkin head football coach Todd Quick said. “They’ve been real successful the last couple of years and they’ll probably be the same this year.

“It’s really good for both of us that we’re just an hour and 15 minutes away and we can go as long as we want. We know the competition is going to be there and it’s a really good fit for both teams coming into the season.”

The Panthers began after school workouts on Aug. 12 and Quick said he’s pleased with the progress he’s seen.

“We’ve had some good days and great days and they’ve handled it well and handled the heat well,” Quick said. “Our first day in pads was something they had to figure out, but the second day it seemed like old hat. The big thing right now is being able to handle it here and then on Friday, because there’s a lot more excitement on Friday.”

Quick said the team has made it through the first couple of weeks without any major injuries and that the leadership of this group is evident.

“We’ve got the same bumps and bruises that everybody has right now, but everybody we have is available,” Quick said.

“The leadership from the senior group, even the ones that aren’t front line players, is something we haven’t had in a while, but this group is so close. Everybody’s on the same page.”

After tonight’s scrimmage the Panthers have a week before opening the season at home against Longview.

“We’ve got to gain as much in the next week and a half that we’ve gained so far,” Quick said. “We have to make that much more improvement to get to where we want to start, not where we want to end. Every day we pick one thing we’ve got to get better on. You can’t ever be satisfied.”

Quick said he’s ready to see how the team responds and reacts to an opponent.

“I can’t wait for us to start looking at somebody different, I want to see how they’re going to react, let us make some changes and coach that part of the game,” Quick said. “You’re going to be uncomfortable throughout the season, and the quicker we can get that corrected, the better off we’re going to be.

“We’ve got to get that process going, see how they’re going to react when it gets a little tough and see who’s going to step to the front. How do we correct the ones that didn’t and get them to do the same thing? It’s a big process, but we’re ready.”

Tonight’s scrimmage at Huntsville’s Hornet Stadium will start at 5 p.m. with JV and Freshmen, with varsity to follow.

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I watched most of the Longview and Texas high scrimmage and if we look like that tonight. I imagine this board will have a meltdown. It was just a scrimmage and Texas high usually gives them trouble but they looked bad last night. Why they won't play #15 at QB is beyond me. They are going to have serious trouble blocking on the edge without a TE. There RT #55 is going to be a liability next week. He has no chance against Hood coming off the edge. Defensively they looked much better than the offense. LBs probably the best part. That Reese kid in the middle is really good. Defensive line for the Lobos has clearly taken a step back but they aren't bad. I'll be honest Lufkin should absolutely win next week. I don't see how Longview is going to move the ball. Unless they hit some big PA pass plays. I think they're in serious trouble next Friday. 

I watched some of that last evening. Again, I'm different about these scrimmages than most, and think they are not totally indicative of the regular season. Coaches are still trying stuff out and moving a few a round, heck they even said Coach Kings wasn't there?  You can get an idea, but not a total picture.  IMO Longview is going to be Longview, hard to beat on any given night. The way the Lobos have spanked our hindquarters the last three meetings is frankly embarrassing. So no talk from me until I see Lufkin and our coaches prove otherwise.

25 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I watched some of that last evening. Again, I'm different about these scrimmages than most, and think they are not totally indicative of the regular season. Coaches are still trying stuff out and moving a few a round, heck they even said Coach Kings wasn't there?  You can get an idea, but not a total picture.  IMO Longview is going to be Longview, hard to beat on any given night. The way the Lobos have spanked our hindquarters the last three meetings is frankly embarrassing. So no talk from me until I see Lufkin and our coaches prove otherwise.

King is in Ireland. 

Haynes King and Georgia Tech are playing Florida State in Ireland tomorrow.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Malpractice if you guys don't start 15

SMH.

Hamilton is a future FBS QB. But, he's also a coaches son. I guess he's getting shafted because the staff doesn't want to make it seem like they're just starting a coaches son. We went through something similar with Haynes back in 2017. 

But ------ that, start your best players.

17 (Stevenson) is also in that sophomore class and got varsity snaps. He's better than the SR too.

9th grade has a nice one at QB too...#5 (Davis). 

Some tough decisions to make in Longview for the future. Good problem to have though.

Livingston ISD is getting a really nice stadium upgrade.  The more these stadiums around us upgrade to todays standards the fewer playoff games Lufkin's Abe Martin will get here. This is a nice upgrade and not done with bond money but doing it through their school budget over the next 10 years, to pay for the athletic improvements which also include baseball/softball complex.  If you have never seen the Livingston High School, it's one of the finest looking facilities in all of East Texas.

https://www.kltv.com/2024/08/22/livingston-isd-plans-century-old-athletic-complex-expansion/

They have done a great job upgrading this practice field/ soccer stadium, to a full size stadium. Probably holds maybe 6K, ADA compliant and a nice Press Box with elevator.  Really nice field house.

Lufkin, please take notice, all you need is a press box and new stands, everything else is already there in place. They could do this.

Panthers in their all white unis for tonight.