2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

53 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The scrimmage is in the books, now they go into Summer off-season, maybe some 7 on 7 and there will be football camps for some. 

This team has talent and you could see that tonight on display, there were some really great TD runs by Kevo Taylor and Jayden Nichols.

#3 QB Johnson is the starter, he was followed by #13 , then we got to see #10 and #7 tossing the pigskin around.  Do not know any of those QBs. A ROSTER would have been a nice commodity to have this evening???   Announcer never gave the names of the backup QBs only the players that made a run or had reception.  Someone fill in the name blanks for me. Thanks.

The offensive line blocked well against a D  line that is suppose to be formidable this fall. There is a different center in the starting rotation this year, #52 Chavez , a junior was the 2023 starter there. #57 Villegas was the starting center tonight.  Didn't see Chavez out there. The deeper passing game needs a lot of cleaning up, the short and mid range are adequate for now, still that's what you work on in 7 on 7. 

Frankly, a scrimmage is a lot of players rotating in and out and getting playing time. The D will be good, they had an INT in the end zone and were close on 2 or 3 more.  It's really a good feeling to have a mobile QB, Johnson will open up much more of the offense with his RPO ability.  All four of the QBs are mobile. Phillips played a lot of RB/HB, he ran well, blocked well and they even tried to throw to him.  Did not hear Chinn's name called at RB, someone help me here because with no roster it's impossible to check those things.

Kicking game is solid. Defensive is going to be real solid, with 48 Seniors you should have good depth on both sides of the ball.

That's about all I can say about this Spring scrimmage, now we will see how they stack up in the fall, when it really counts. No one remembers a scrimmage. About the only thing that popped up and made me say WOW was watching the speed and elusiveness of Kevo Taylor.  That young man has some serious wheels.

This team has possibilities, then again we always do. We now wait.

Chinn, Big Hoop, and Keithin Davis did not play tonight due to injuries. They will all be go by the season. 

Yeah Kevo is different when he gets going. I remember watching him for the first time in the 7th grade and the stop, go and hesitation he has is unbelievable. He has looked good at RB this spring. It's definitely different. I also really liked what I saw from Johnson tonight. He's going to be a problem for defenses. He's easily the most athletic QB we've had since Reggie McNeal. They got a good team.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB Javion Johnson threw a pair of touchdown passes, one to KeVondrick Taylor and one to Krisean Preston, to highlight the scoring by Lufkin’s first team in Tuesday’s annual spring game at John Outlaw Field at Abe Martin Stadium.

Taylor also added a nine-yard touchdown run midway through the scrimmage.

Panthers’ head coach Todd Quick said he was pleased with the way both the offense and defense came out Tuesday night.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/johnson-throws-for-two-scores-in-panthers-spring-game/article_a46dae67-c416-5b2d-af8f-cbbcd2a9d3ae.html

“We had a scrimmage last Wednesday of about 125 plays and we did not play well on either side of the ball,” Quick said. “We were not happy and since Thursday we’ve had a different look. We have a standard that we’ve created here and we’re holding to that.

“I wasn’t surprised how we came out tonight. We were flying around on both sides of the ball and both sides were competing.”

Quick said working on the little things, like having the right players and right number of players on the field was a big part of the scrimmage.

“We got on and off the field every time and that’s a big part of a game and I’m pleased with that,” Quick said.

The Panthers used a few different sets, mostly running with two backs. Johnson completed passes to a number of players, including Preston, Taylor, Quincy Coutee, Keandre Hooper and Gavin Phillips. Getting carries with the first team were Johnson, Kenneth Waters, Taylor, Phillips and Coutee on a reverse.

“We know we’re going to be very multiple with our skill players. We can move some guys around and can line them up at different places and not just as a decoy,” Quick said.

“I thought Javion threw the ball well. He’s always got good feet and wheels and that’s a big part of his game. He threw the ball into some tight windows, to the sidelines and underneath.”

Defensively, Quick was pleased with how it was more than just one player in on tackles.

“I was very pleased with how we got to the ball, we had multiple people making tackles,” Quick said. “We were able to get off the blocks and it was not just a one-on-one tackle. We had people coming and that’s how you have to play defense. You have to get off the block and chase the football and we did a good job of that.”

Other scores on the night included a 50-yard field goal from Nolan Hansard, who was working with the Panthers’ third-team deep snapper, an 85-yard catch and run by Jayden Nichols from Jaidevion Robinson and a 57-yard run from Tydrick Davis.

“We’ll look at this film and make the corrections and we’ll start the summer process and get to work,” Quick said.

The Panthers open the season at home Aug. 30 against Longview.

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

QB Javion Johnson has nothing but an upside as he gets more experience.  His ability to move and go will open up the offense in a way we have not had the last 3 years. Watch his highlights from Spring ball.

https://x.com/JohnsonJavion3/status/1790759915146956884

Listened to a Dave Campbells Texas Football podcast yesterday with Matt Stepp and Greg Tepper.  They were talking about "Sleeper Teams" going into the 2024 football season. Teams that had a 7-4 or less record in 2023.  This is key.

They talked about teams on the rise from 2023. Talked about the plethora of new coaching hires and coach movement in the offseason. How unpresented this coaching offseason has been. They even talked about 7 on 7 results this year and what they observed talentwise. 

What they did not talk about in all of their "Sleeper talk" or good teams talk or talent, was Lufkin in 2024.

We all know there will be 48 seniors on this team in 2024,  we return practically all the defense, if my math is correct 8 or 9 starters. On offense the Pack only return 4 starters, possibly 5, if you want to count Phillips before his injury. That may be part of the reasoning for the non mention. We were moved into Region III, into District 9-5A DI on appeal, that put the program in a much better position to make the playoffs and decent positioning to go a few playoff rounds. Right?  Especially for a team with 48 seniors.  However, not a mention in the 57 minute long podcast or the previous 1 hour plus about 4-5 weeks ago.  

***Side track thought. I remember our 2001 State Championship year and how we had 40 seniors on that team.  We had all kinds of recognition with that experience and of course the fact we had Reggie McNeal.  I for one thought we would never recover from losing 40 seniors for the next year (2002),  I was wrong. If not for a couple bad plays against Southlake, up 30-14 early in the 4th quarter, Lufkin in all likelihood is playing for another title in 2002. Lufkin football (2002,2004,2005) were sure a big part of forming the Southlake Dynasty. ***

Back to the podcast. I am not going to try and surmise how and why Lufkin is rarely mentioned at DCTF, they were in the realignment talk, at least even DCTF thought placing Lufkin in 7-5ADI was unfair.  Still feel a little bad for Tyler, they still have to drive a bunch of miles. We were fortunate.

There could be a lot of reasoning, possibly not making the playoffs three years in a row with a P5 RB?, maybe they consider the programs track record these last 12 years, looking at the overall playoff success.  I don't know. The point is, a team with 48 seniors, with 8 or 9 returning defensive starters, playing in 9-5ADI, in Region III, normally should be mentioned.  This is the second such podcast in the last 4 or 5 weeks from DCTF that Lufkin's name is not come up when speaking about good Texas HS teams in 2024.  It's a head scratcher for sure.  We all here at LPS have been watching these kids for 2 or 3 years now, they were freshman phenoms who were going to make a winning difference in the program.  I'll give PN credit, he has always maintained that 2024 season would be the pivotal year, he has never wavier on his statement, but he also acknowledged these kids were good enough to have finished at least 4th place the past couple years.  We will see what happens in 2024 in a very short time, if this group can finally deliver on what the fans have been hoping for and talking about for so long now.  I can see only one reason this talent does not make a run, it's the same reason they haven't made the playoffs the last three years. 

Is THIS the year? There is much hope. What's the future of the Lufkin football program after these 48 Seniors graduate? Personally I think we enjoy what this group accomplishes, and  maybe there is something there for the next group to build on. There will be some definite changes the next year (2025) for a different group of players.

Was so hoping to hear an encouraging tidbit from the DCTF podcast crew about Lufkin 2024 football, didn't happen. All I know for sure is Lufkin is not on the DCTF 2024 "Sleepers" list, so that must mean the Pack are on the "Contenders" list. Right? Am I wrong? :ph34r:

3 hours ago, mr. b said:

Good, we shouldn’t want them to be talking about LP.   Let everyone be surprised when we kick that a$$.  😊hopefully anyway. 

That will be a welcome sight to see.  Playing to WIN is a lot more fun than playing not to lose.  There is a big difference between the two.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

That will be a welcome sight to see.  Playing to WIN is a lot more fun than playing not to lose.  There is a big difference between the two.

Yeah let them sleep on us. I know we have a very good team. It's going to be undeniable after week 1

On 5/23/2024 at 6:10 PM, mr. b said:

Heard the turf at the football field and the high school itself was vandalized by 5 seniors.  Stupid kids didn’t realize they have cameras everywhere.  

Yep, heard just a little bit about a break in. Students parents need to be sent an invoice for the cleanup, then students work the debt off dollar by dollar. That's how my family would have handled everything.

I can't complain, never did anything like that to get in trouble, but I did my fair share of stupid things during my HS years. Difference from now to then is I feared my Dad and Grandpa's if caught because I would pay the ultimate cost.  The good old days when discipline and respect for other people's property counted for something.

Let there be technology!

After a few years of pressure, and seeing many other states make the rule change, the UIL has decided to allow technology for in-game use.

The new rules will be similar to the NCAA rules. Beginning next football season, the UIL will permit the use of video and data technology in coaching booths and locker rooms, though it will remain banned on the sideline. The rule change, communicated via email to athletic directors and coaches, authorizes the usage of computers, tablets, iPads, and smartphones during both games and halftime.

The UIL also stipulated that game officials are not required to enforce the rule but are expected to report any violation to the UIL.

This rule change will revolutionize half-time adjustments. The teams that utilize new technology effectively the quickest will have a major advantage this season. The rule change also opens up the possibility of more technology being allowed in the future, potentially leading to an increase in wearable tech and perhaps a future where technology is allowed on the sidelines.

On 5/23/2024 at 12:03 PM, PackAttack said:

Listened to a Dave Campbells Texas Football podcast yesterday with Matt Stepp and Greg Tepper.  They were talking about "Sleeper Teams" going into the 2024 football season. Teams that had a 7-4 or less record in 2023.  This is key.

They talked about teams on the rise from 2023. Talked about the plethora of new coaching hires and coach movement in the offseason. How unpresented this coaching offseason has been. They even talked about 7 on 7 results this year and what they observed talentwise. 

What they did not talk about in all of their "Sleeper talk" or good teams talk or talent, was Lufkin in 2024.

We all know there will be 48 seniors on this team in 2024,  we return practically all the defense, if my math is correct 8 or 9 starters. On offense the Pack only return 4 starters, possibly 5, if you want to count Phillips before his injury. That may be part of the reasoning for the non mention. We were moved into Region III, into District 9-5A DI on appeal, that put the program in a much better position to make the playoffs and decent positioning to go a few playoff rounds. Right?  Especially for a team with 48 seniors.  However, not a mention in the 57 minute long podcast or the previous 1 hour plus about 4-5 weeks ago.  

***Side track thought. I remember our 2001 State Championship year and how we had 40 seniors on that team.  We had all kinds of recognition with that experience and of course the fact we had Reggie McNeal.  I for one thought we would never recover from losing 40 seniors for the next year (2002),  I was wrong. If not for a couple bad plays against Southlake, up 30-14 early in the 4th quarter, Lufkin in all likelihood is playing for another title in 2002. Lufkin football (2002,2004,2005) were sure a big part of forming the Southlake Dynasty. ***

Back to the podcast. I am not going to try and surmise how and why Lufkin is rarely mentioned at DCTF, they were in the realignment talk, at least even DCTF thought placing Lufkin in 7-5ADI was unfair.  Still feel a little bad for Tyler, they still have to drive a bunch of miles. We were fortunate.

There could be a lot of reasoning, possibly not making the playoffs three years in a row with a P5 RB?, maybe they consider the programs track record these last 12 years, looking at the overall playoff success.  I don't know. The point is, a team with 48 seniors, with 8 or 9 returning defensive starters, playing in 9-5ADI, in Region III, normally should be mentioned.  This is the second such podcast in the last 4 or 5 weeks from DCTF that Lufkin's name is not come up when speaking about good Texas HS teams in 2024.  It's a head scratcher for sure.  We all here at LPS have been watching these kids for 2 or 3 years now, they were freshman phenoms who were going to make a winning difference in the program.  I'll give PN credit, he has always maintained that 2024 season would be the pivotal year, he has never wavier on his statement, but he also acknowledged these kids were good enough to have finished at least 4th place the past couple years.  We will see what happens in 2024 in a very short time, if this group can finally deliver on what the fans have been hoping for and talking about for so long now.  I can see only one reason this talent does not make a run, it's the same reason they haven't made the playoffs the last three years. 

Is THIS the year? There is much hope. What's the future of the Lufkin football program after these 48 Seniors graduate? Personally I think we enjoy what this group accomplishes, and  maybe there is something there for the next group to build on. There will be some definite changes the next year (2025) for a different group of players.

Was so hoping to hear an encouraging tidbit from the DCTF podcast crew about Lufkin 2024 football, didn't happen. All I know for sure is Lufkin is not on the DCTF 2024 "Sleepers" list, so that must mean the Pack are on the "Contenders" list. Right? Am I wrong? :ph34r:

There isn't much reason to mention Lufkin. We have missed the playoffs 3 consecutive years. And had not done anything before that, other than 2017. Having a lot seniors is great, but it doesn't carry much weight, if they don't have any playoff experience. You look at programs like Longview and others. Having a lot of seniors pays off, because they usually have a ton of playoff experience to draw from. 

In all fairness. DCTF is just calling like they see it. Same as many of us do here. I do remember them mentioning us as a team to watch last year. I think it was more so to grab a playoff spot, and not a deep post season run. Most of that was because we had Kedren Young. 

We all know the talent this group has. I know the secondary had some growing pains last year, but thats a group I'm excited to see. They have a tremendous amount of potential.

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

There isn't much reason to mention Lufkin. We have missed the playoffs 3 consecutive years. And had not done anything before that, other than 2017. Having a lot seniors is great, but it doesn't carry much weight, if they don't have any playoff experience. You look at programs like Longview and others. Having a lot of seniors pays off, because they usually have a ton of playoff experience to draw from. 

In all fairness. DCTF is just calling like they see it. Same as many of us do here. I do remember them mentioning us as a team to watch last year. I think it was more so to grab a playoff spot, and not a deep post season run. Most of that was because we had Kedren Young. 

We all know the talent this group has. I know the secondary had some growing pains last year, but thats a group I'm excited to see. They have a tremendous amount of potential.

There is definitely some negative history here, DCTF may remember ranking Lufkin #1 in their 2018 5A preseason poll. They turned around again to picked Lufkin #7 in their 2019 preseason poll.  Lufkin fell 49-24 in the 2nd round to Lone Star in 2018, then lost a home playoff game 41-35 to 4th place Texas High in 2019.  Those lofty rankings were all predicated on great talent coming back those two seasons, after the 4 round deep playoff run in 2017. We have the same type of talent scenario in 2024.  All that is not lost on DCTF.

In 2020 Lufkin lost 41-5 in the 1st round at Longview, then as we all know,  missed the playoffs the last three seasons. That plays into the DCTF thought process. As  much as I have disagreed with Longview fans over the years, I agree with much of their summation of why the talent here has not shown up in the playoffs.  Those Lobo guys are not the only people that have those opinions, some are coaches who have never coached in Lufkin making the same observance. Not going down that rabbit trail, but it's just to emphasis that maybe the guys at DCTF talk to folks too?? 

By the way, Timeout makes a GREAT point, as talented as these 48 Senior guys will be in the fall, they have no previous playoff experience, and for anyone who has played the game and been a part of playoff runs in football that is a huge carry over to the next season. That experience is key, because there's a different mentally  about playoff games. Are these 2024 guys good enough to exceed all those non playoff barriers, and make a big playoff run?  History says different, and that's why those type teams get called "Cinderella teams" making that unexpected run.  Let's see what DCTF says in June, we will know pretty soon because their magazine is already printed.  I'll get my copy in about 3 weeks.  

There is no doubt the move to Region III, District 9-5A DI helps Lufkin, the road to a Regional Finals is much less complicated than in Region II.  Still believe Barbers Hill, PAM and maybe Galveston Ball will have a say in everything. Don't think any of them fear Lufkin. We haven't been a top program in a long time now, so why would they?  If anything, those other 9-5A DI teams look at Lufkin more as an intruder, an opportunity to prove Lufkin should have stayed in 7-5A DI. Remember, those 9-5A DI schools originally voted against us joining their district, it took a UIL ruling to put us there.

I think it's going to be an interesting year, many good components to work with, many possibilities. Everything looks on the upside on paper. There's also that unknown and unexpected factor that exist with this Quick led program. I do not want too many SMH in disgust moments this year like the last three seasons. Honestly, no matter how this season turns out, it won't change my mind about the future needs for this football program to be a consistent playoff team again.

Honoring our troops this morning with the “Murph” 1 mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats, another 1 mile run! Dogs

GOmOsgKWoAAY5o1.jpeg

Would love to see that 19 year old Panther indoor extended out to the driveway and opened up a bit with a nice climate controlled weight room upgrade.  Building still looks great on the outside,  has that used look on the inside. Probably won't happen under the existing leadership.  There is a really nice weight room area over in the new PAC for basketball and volleyball. Do the baseball/softball folks have their own weight room area at the complex?

If you have not noticed, there have been lots of changes going on at in the district. We have a new Superintendent and a new Chief Financial Officer.  Several other important changes have already taken place in May.

There are some taking place in the athletic department too.  Trevor Kiminski  JV Football/ Baseball is taking a job in the Magnolia ISD. Jeff Tate with Lufkin Football/baseball is taking a job within the district. Word on the street has it that Nacogdoches Head Baseball coach David Greer will be hired as an Assistant with LHS baseball and Football. He has not been very successful with Nac baseball the last two years. 

Probably not the end of the transitioning to take place very soon.

Wanted to let everyone know that there are still options open for a 3rd week game.  Efforts and contacts are being done on a daily basis.  There are two options that have opened up but would require meeting half way to play.  Not allowed to say just yet.  Searches are being explored out of State, and not Louisiana.  So stay tuned, something will hopefully transpire soon. 

Also, the Pack will have new home jersey's this year, their first new threads in 7 years.  Will let you guess. A new and different look.

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Wanted to let everyone know that there are still options open for a 3rd week game.  Efforts and contacts are being done on a daily basis.  There are two options that have opened up but would require meeting half way to play.  Not allowed to say just yet.  Searches are being explored out of State, and not Louisiana.  So stay tuned, something will hopefully transpire soon. 

Also, the Pack will have new home jersey's this year, their first new threads in 7 years.  Will let you guess. A new and different look.

Bring on an out of state opponent. I think that would be a lot of fun for the kids

More retirees at LHS with Kurt Stephens 29 years, Officer Ralph Bean 36 years and Coach David Guzman 38 years just to name 2 or 3.  Lot's of familiar faces around the campus these many years are making those decisions. Congratulations to them all, they certainly deserve the time to do what they want to do now.   

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

More retirees at LHS with Kurt Stephens 29 years, Officer Ralph Bean 36 years and Coach David Guzman 38 years just to name 2 or 3.  Lot's of familiar faces around the campus these many years are making those decisions. Congratulations to them all, they certainly deserve the time to do what they want to do now.   

Mr.Stephens is such a genuine person. Didn't realize he had been there that long.