2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

42 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

None of’em got nuffin. Lufkin by fitty. 

That’s what so great about head to head matchups. Everything will be answered on the field. We’ve been waiting to see what this group can do. Everything has been an appetizer up to this point. Things will start to ramp up Friday and into district. One more dress rehearsal and then the games start to count. 

I think we have some nice pieces to work with. But so does everyone else. I think this is the year Lufkin needs to make a statement. I know some may be looking at next year. And it could possibly be the year we make a run. I just think it may take while to replace Kedren production and the experience of TJ. So let’s ride that experience and take advantage of our 4 star Rb this year. 

One thing is for sure. We will know what type of team we have after that Longview game. They will put that mirror in our face and show us exactly who we are. Let’s start with a clean game this Friday and see where the chips land the next week. 

And Forney will not hold back or feel sorry for us the following week if we lose. If they get a chance to put 60+ on us at our homecoming, they will. I almost want to beat them as bad as Longview. I watched some video of all the antics they were doing on the sidelines last year vs us. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

How did you feel after last years 3-0 start? Serious question, not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything. 

Last year?  Well, I thought 3-0 was a refreshing change, that big win against AMC was exciting and quite unexpected.  I did think before hand it was a possibility, just didn't say too much about it.  Thought it showed the potential of that group of kids, still believe they were better than how the season ended. The loss to Longview was not a surprise, the 49 point loss at home was surprising, and it mentally hurt the players the next week in Forney. 

I will expand on what you asked. Not sure how much the team fully recovered, maybe until they put up a great fight against Lancaster in the season final.  Thought maybe they were back on track against McKinney North. That OT loss was another tough blow.  No need to get into what we already know. This year is different, these players are different, they have incentive to prove something.  Will say I feel pretty good about this team and what they can do, so we will see what happens.  

17 hours ago, timeout! said:

And Forney will not hold back or feel sorry for us the following week if we lose. If they get a chance to put 60+ on us at our homecoming, they will. I almost want to beat them as bad as Longview. I watched some video of all the antics they were doing on the sidelines last year vs us. 

Forney is beating up on 5A DII nobody's in non-district. At least Crandall was a decent football team last year, not this year and Frisco Memorial and Mesquite Poteet were chumps last year, just as they are this year. Forney caught Lufkin just right last year after losing to Longview, it won't happen again this year. Forney has never been a winning football school through the last 15 years, last year's success was their first in that many years. 

Longview and Lancaster are the cream of this year's district for now, but neither have displayed a dependable passing game.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Forney is beating up on 5A DII nobody's in non-district. At least Crandall was a decent football team last year, not this year and Frisco Memorial and Mesquite Poteet were chumps last year, just as they are this year. Forney caught Lufkin just right last year after losing to Longview, it won't happen again this year. Forney has never been a winning football school through the last 15 years, last year's success was their first in that many years.

We essentially lost two games because of one bad outing. We can't afford to be behind the 8 ball again to start district. 

Comprehensive Texas High School Football Computer Rankings  for 7-5A DI— Week 3

# 2   Longview

#9   Lancaster

#25  Forney   (Forney has played no one but 5A DII programs in non district)

#41  McKinney North   (fell 5 spots in the ranks after losing to Justin NW) 

#44   Lufkin     (The Panther fell from #40 though they defeated Nacogdoches 47-28)

#58  Tyler

#86  North Mesquite

#91  West Mesquite

FYI - A&M Consolidated  is ranked  #31

In the eyes of DCTF and Pigskin Prep, evidently Lufkin has a bunch to prove to them.

38 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Comprehensive Texas High School Football Computer Rankings  for 7-5A DI— Week 3

# 2   Longview

#9   Lancaster

#25  Forney   (Forney has played no one but 5A DII programs in non district)

#41  McKinney North   (fell 5 spots in the ranks after losing to Justin NW) 

#44   Lufkin     (The Panther fell from #40 though they defeated Nacogdoches 47-28)

#58  Tyler

#86  North Mesquite

#91  West Mesquite

FYI - A&M Consolidated  is ranked  #31

In the eyes of DCTF and Pigskin Prep, evidently Lufkin has a bunch to prove to them.

I have little doubts AMC is going to be in trouble Friday night. Maybe they can keep it close but I definitely see us as the favorite just based off how they looked against Huntsville because you can't tell anything against Monterey Mexico. 

24 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I also ran into ole Chadalac at the last Lufkin game. He can't deny it 😂. I think the magic 8 ball is back in play.

The old 8-ball.  Never really figured out if it was totally a good or bad thing. 🎱  Might be infringing on Chad's copyright by using it.  LOL

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers improved to 2-0 on the season with a 47-28 win over the Nacogdoches Dragons at SFA’s Homer Bryce Stadium Friday night. Lufkin will be back at home at 7:30 Friday when it hosts the A&M Consolidated Tigers.

Q After looking back at Friday’s game, what were some of the takeaways from the Nacogdoches contest?

A I thought we made some bad decisions after the plays were over. You can’t do that versus the people in our district. We addressed it, fixed it and moved on. But those are the types of things that can come back and haunt you. We have to be more disciplined than that. I told the team after the game Friday we’re a smart football team, but we didn’t play smart the other night. If you don’t play smart, then you don’t win.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_ee6d3a4a-30b8-59dd-bb70-afca81df507f.html

Q How big has it been for the team to jump out to a big lead in each of the first two games?

A Getting ahead early has been big because that changes what teams are trying to do as an offense. One and two scores might not be big, but getting up three possessions can be big. Teams get away from what they want to do. Everybody has the 3-5 plays that really define who they are. If you can get people away from their identity, then it changes who they are.

Q After the defense shut out Nacogdoches in the first half, what was the impression of the team’s effort Friday?

A They were flying around. I thought we did really well against the run. The defensive line was really good up front. We forced them to throw the football and we controlled the line of scrimmage. We looked back and they got seven first downs from penalties with five of those being on third down. We’re playing really hard up there. We just have to cut out the penalties.

Q The offense was able to move the ball through the air much of the first half before relying on the ground game. What was the overall impression of its performance?

A The run game was pretty lean in the first half. When that happened, T.J. (Hammond) did a good job of putting the ball in the hands of the right guys. They both got deep and got us to second and one and second and five. Once you get those plays, it opens up the running game. Kedren (Young) doesn’t need a ton of room to make a play.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Wonder why Josh didn't ask Coach any questions about AMC this week?  Quick said the running game was LEAN in first half, well it looks pretty lean on any info about AMC.  You know it's really great to see the Panther passing game doing so well in these games, however let's not forget that our running game was to be the strength of this years team.  The Pack gets both working well together, they are going to be in good shape the rest of the year.  T J has had a very good start to the year, much as he did last season.   This team needs to excise some demons in the next few weeks to make all this look really good.

29 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Wonder why Josh didn't ask Coach any questions about AMC this week?  Quick said the running game was LEAN in first half, well it looks pretty lean on any info about AMC.  You know it's really great to see the Panther passing game doing so well in these games, however let's not forget that our running game was to be the strength of this years team.  The Pack gets both working well together, they are going to be in good shape the rest of the year.  T J has had a very good start to the year, much as he did last season.   This team needs to excise some demons in the next dew weeks to make all this look really good.

Yeah, I’ve always thought the questions have been kinda eh. Sometimes the dang high school kids that do the interviews ask him better questions than josh lol.. As for our run game, it better pick up from what we saw in the 1st half against Nac. 

Here are the DCTF picks for Week Three for 7-5A DI Teams:

A&M Consolidated (2-0) at Lufkin (2-0)   -  A&M Consolidated  by 5

Mesquite Horn (2-0) at Tyler (2-0) -   Mesquite Horn by 22

Tyler Legacy (2-0) at Longview (1-1) -  Longview by 46

North Mesquite (1-1) at North Forney (2-0)-  North Forney by 24

Forney (2-0) at Mesquite Poteet (0-2) -  Forney by 34

Denton Guyer (1-1) at Lancaster (1-1)  -  Denton Guyer by 11

McKinney North (1-1) at Frisco Memorial (0-2)  -  McKinney North  by 23

Fort Worth Chisholm Trail (1-1) at West Mesquite (1-1)  -   Chisholm Trail by  8

Lufkin's  QB T J Hammond moved into the Panther history books this week. He moved to the #11 position on the All-Time Panther passing yardage per game with 370 yards verses Nacogdoches.  He is just behind Tyler Stubblefield at #10 with 376 yards in 2012 vs Pflugerville,  and just ahead of Trey Cumbie at #12 with 363 yards in 2013 vs Conroe Oakridge.

I watched the Huntsville and AMC game again. The AMC QB Hargett drew the Huntsville D offsides several times in the second half of that game, and he runs the ball a bunch too.  He is only like 5-8, 150 lbs, but he gets the job done.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I watched the Huntsville and AMC game again. The AMC QB Hargett drew the Huntsville D offsides several times in the second half of that game, and he runs the ball a bunch too.  He is only like 5-8, 150 lbs, but he gets the job done.

He pretty savvy and has some grit to him. Been a starter since his freshman year, so he some experience. We did a great job of containing him last year. Looking forward to seeing our team get tested again. 

On 9/5/2023 at 2:28 PM, PackAttack said:

The old 8-ball.  Never really figured out if it was totally a good or bad thing. 🎱  Might be infringing on Chad's copyright by using it.  LOL

In the most simplistic explanation possible….. the 🎱just is! ill have legal get in touch with you for settlement info.