2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Interesting matchup last week between a couple Class 4A Div L teams. #23 ranked Dallas Carter beat #26 ranked Houston Yates 65-0 at home. Carter was only a DCTF +4 favorite in that game.  DCTF had some high expectations forYates and Ralph Thomas this year.

In this weeks poll, Carter has rose to #14 in the 4A DI computer rankings , while Yates fell to #52.  

Yates (0-1) plays 5A Div I Houston Madison (0-1) this week, they're ranked #65.

Dallas Carter (1-0) will face 5A Div II Dallas Kimball (1-0), ranked #37.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly sure, playing at SFA or on the road has never been a big issue for Lufkin in most cases. It's been more about WHO we played than anything else.

These were all playoff games. Lufkin lost to Lake Highlands at SFA in 1998. Panthers won over Longview in 2004. Won over South Garland, then lost two weeks later to Southlake in 2005. Lufkin lost to Longview again in 2017.  That is going back about 25 years.  Don't ever remember Lufkin and Nacogdoches playing each other at SFA. 

So to answer your question. In the last 25 years, Lufkin is 2-3 playing at SFA in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Nac_dragon07 said:

Hopefully we can take advantage of a slow Lufkin start. For some reason they don’t play as sharp sometimes when they come to Nac. If we can Jew it close then I’ll be good. 

It could be tied after 1 qtr and probably wouldn’t matter. At some point, we will walk away with this game. 

24 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

It could be tied after 1 qtr and probably wouldn’t matter. At some point, we will walk away with this game. 

I have a problem with folks getting some satisfaction from "Jewing it close", whatever that means??    I'm still having trouble understanding someone trying to find some equal comparison between 4A DI Palestine and 5A DI Lufkin?

It doesn't really matter, does it? Come on Friday, I want to see what happens.  Go Pack!

11 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I have a problem with folks getting some satisfaction from "Jewing it close", whatever that means??    I'm still having trouble understanding someone trying to find some equal comparison between 4A DI Palestine and 5A DI Lufkin?

It doesn't really matter, does it? Come on Friday, I want to see what happens.  Go Pack!

Lol who knows. Only thing that I do know for a fact, Lufkin would absolutely demolish Palestine. 

26 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Lol who knows. Only thing that I do know for a fact, Lufkin would absolutely demolish Palestine. 

Correct. I need to go mow the yard now. The season is in full swing, going to hit Napoli's for some pizza before the game. Lufkin won't start slow, the Lufkin D will swamp these guys, they will have 2 or3 sacks and a couple INTs . The Lufkin O, what is the Nac D going to stop, the running game or the passing game?  They gave up 36 points to a 4A DI Palestine team?  Let's not fool ourselves here.  Hey, where's my gas can?, firing up the ZTR now, gotta go. LOL

46 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Correct. I need to go mow the yard now. The season is in full swing, going to hit Napoli's for some pizza before the game. Lufkin won't start slow, the Lufkin D will swamp these guys, they will have 2 or3 sacks and a couple INTs . The Lufkin O, what is the Nac D going to stop, the running game or the passing game?  They gave up 36 points to a 4A DI Palestine team?  Let's not fool ourselves here.  Hey, where's my gas can?, firing up the ZTR now, gotta go. LOL

Be safe out there. It’s hot 

There has been some talk here about declining enrollment in the Lufkin ISD. We'll, it's not just a Lufkin thing, it's a State of Texas thing right now. Plus the State funding is still going to remain strong and may increase in coming years. Good article.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/south-texas-el-paso/news/2023/02/06/enrollment-on-the-decline-in-texas-public-schools?cid=share_clip

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

There has been some talk here about declining enrollment in the Lufkin ISD. We'll, it's not just a Lufkin thing, it's a State of Texas thing right now. Plus the State funding is still going to remain strong and may increase in coming years. Good article.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/south-texas-el-paso/news/2023/02/06/enrollment-on-the-decline-in-texas-public-schools?cid=share_clip

Is that bad for Lufkin ? Will y’all drop to division 2 ?

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Believe it or not but Lufkin has $ problems from  decreasing enrollment.  Even that article says districts with low income students are at a disadvantage when losing numbers.  Big cuts are coming but probably not in the higher paying jobs but in the lower paying aid type jobs where students are actually getting help.  

Zion Williams just picked up a Georgia offer. I imagine in the 25 class Mike Mosley,Gavin Phillips, and Krisean Preston will all be P5  recruits once it's all done FBS at a minimum. Maybe another 3 on the Fringe of being FBS but maybe not P5. I think they will hit double digits on signing day when you include FCS and Division 2/3.