2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

2 minutes ago, Chadalac05 said:

So Lufkin didnt take a knee last night when a Legacy player was hurt? I guess some folks are upset about it

Lufkin came to the sidelines on the injury. Why would anyone be upset with that?, the players just got out of the way so the medical people could do their job.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a pretty good opening. The second half was a snooze fest. Reminded of the last time we played Legacy here to start the season. Believe it was two years ago and I was literally dozing off during the game. It was run, run, the whole game that year. 

Secondary made some plays. Didn't like seeing them let a few receivers get behind them though. Some of those could've been touchdowns if they connected. Hopefully that gets fixed this week. TJ played the type of game we will need him to play. Hit on passes when needed to keep defenses honest. 

Gavin and Young had workman like efforts. Like what I'm seeing from both, especially how Gavin is being utilized. My only complaint, is I would like to see Gavin with the ball more. There was a point where I felt the Legacy defense was a little tired. And Gavin was starting to get going. He the type of back that can wear defenses down. But Lufkin went away from him after a couple of carries during that series.

Also wasn't a fan of how they ended the first half. I didn't a problem with them running the clock the last 60 second, but how they did it. Why hand the ball off to Young 2 or 3 times to end the half? It's a few unnecessary hits in my opinion. Just kneel or hand it off to Gavin. You not trying to score anyway. We need to save as much of Young as possible for the district run.

Whats going on with special teams? How many extra points did we miss? Those things can comeback and bite you in a close game. And has our FG kicker attempted many long kicks since last year? I keep hearing how strong his leg is. But can't recall the coaches giving him many opportunities to try them in games. He need live game reps to be prepared when called upon. 

Plenty of things to be happy about, and several things to work on. Unfortunately the game did have that same feeling you get when seeing a team coached be this staff. They will have to earn their stripes against better competition. They have 2 more games to make adjustments and get prepared for district. Longview and Forney games will be here before you know it. We can't afford to start district 0-2.

14 minutes ago, Chadalac05 said:

So Lufkin didnt take a knee last night when a Legacy player was hurt? I guess some folks are upset about it

I noticed that too. I thought it was common practice for all players to take a knee during an injury. I kept looking at the Lufkin coaching staff and waiting for them to instruct the players to take a knee. Instead they huddled up for a moment and then just stood around. Not sure what the reasoning behind it was. 

8 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I noticed that too. I thought it was common practice for all players to take a knee during an injury. I kept looking at the Lufkin coaching staff and waiting for them to instruct the players to take a knee. Instead they huddled up for a moment and then just stood around. Not sure what the reasoning behind it was. 

You know you're getting your teeth kicked in when you have to complain about another team not kneeing for an injured player. I would understand if it was a significant neck or head injury. I could care less about that. 

1 minute ago, PurpleNation said:

You know you're getting your teeth kicked in when you have to complain about another team not kneeing for an injured player. I would understand if it was a significant neck or head injury. I could care less about that. 

I'm a bit surprised to hear anything coming from them. Not sure when the last time I've seen a Legacy fan comment on anything. They are a quiet bunch. Even back when they were good, you didn't get much interaction from them. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

The defense has the ability to go deep into the rotation early and keep kids fresh with not much of a drop off. The offense doesn't have that same luxury. TJ also looks like he has played a ton of football. We have to give him some credit.  

TJ had a couple close calls last night, he also made 4 or 5 really outstanding throws. That one TD to Preston was text book, just they way you throw it. The screen pass was really good too. No, he is not the most mobile of QBs, with protection in the pocket he can produce on target throws, he rolls out well and can find guys open. Yes, he does take chances when maybe he should just throw it away, but he made more than enough good throws last night to offset any negative tosses. T J just needs to use and manage the talent around him and he will be okay.  Johnson is just raw talent, needs to secure the ball better, game needs to slow for him to find his open targets, he pulls the ball down a little quick. Last night was excellent experience for him, we need him ready just in case. He made one really outstanding throw to the outside for a 15 yard gain that was called back for holding. He has a definite talent to build on with more Varsity reps in live action. I'm happy, there's always things to fix, learn and improve on from game to game.  Too much upside for this group to not to feel good about things.

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

TJ had a couple close calls last night, he also made 4 or 5 really outstanding throws. That one TD to Preston was text book, just they way you throw it. The screen pass was really good too. No, he is not the most mobile of QBs, with protection in the pocket he can produce on target throws, he rolls out well and can find guys open. Yes, he does take chances when maybe he should just throw it away, but he made more than enough good throws last night to offset any negative tosses. T J just needs to use and manage the talent around him and he will be okay.  Johnson is just raw talent, needs to secure the ball better, game needs to slow for him to find his open targets, he pulls the ball down a little quick. Last night was excellent experience for him, we need him ready just in case. He made one really outstanding throw to the outside for a 15 yard gain that was called back for holding. He has a definite talent to build on with more Varsity reps in live action. I'm happy, there's always things to fix, learn and improve on from game to game.  Too much upside for this group to not to feel goid about things.

I agree 100%. You can tell the game has slowed down for TJ while Johnson is still trying to adjust to the speed. I also think the play calling didn't do him or TJ for that matter any favors. It was to predictable and Legacy was just teeing off on him in the second half. I thought we would win by 40+ last night I just didn't want to say it. I'm sure we could have had they pushed it but I'm a little let down overall but I have a high bar for this team. I think Longview and Forney will be 50/50 games and I'd be surprised if we can't beat Lancaster this year. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I agree 100%. You can tell the game has slowed down for TJ while Johnson is still trying to adjust to the speed. I also think the play calling didn't do him or TJ for that matter any favors. It was to predictable and Legacy was just teeing off on him in the second half. I thought we would win by 40+ last night I just didn't want to say it. I'm sure we could have had they pushed it but I'm a little let down overall but I have a high bar for this team. I think Longview and Forney will be 50/50 games and I'd be surprised if we can't beat Lancaster this year. 

Hey, I'm  still happy. Other people around me ask why we play call the way we do, or the fans upset about dialing back the game in the 3rd. All you can say is I don't know, except I've been watching every game our OC has coached. This is not the first time this has occured or will it be the last with him, or Quick, cause he has some say in this now. It is just something these coaches have always done. Some folks are just noticing this for the first time, Purple Nation knows what I'm talking about. This years offense will be as successful as the OC calls it or kids execute it. He certainly has the talent to take to a much high level if so desired. There's not much any of us can do, but watch, enjoy, and see what happens moving forward. Go Pack!

Just to show you how rankings go, there was a big first game match up in 6A, between #13 Cibolo Steele and #16 San Antonio Brennan, Ranked #1 and #2 in the San Antonio area. Well, not so much because Cibolo Steele shut out Brennan 52-0.   Also, 4A DI Carthage was almost upset by Kilgore too, pulling out at games end 30-27.

First games are not always pretty, it's more what you look like about game #5 or #6 that's more the barometer of where a team his headed. You can bet all those teams listed above will still be playing come playoff time.  

My being upset had nothing to do with winning 31-7 vs 52-7. It has everything to do with the mentality of this staff. They don’t have what it takes to coach championship football. They just don’t. Better hope these kids have the talent to pull big things themselves, because they are on their own. 

Noticed a new name on the Diboll roster, Omarion Scott, looks like he last played for Lufkin JV, but made an immediate impact in last night’s game.. just shows the level of talent Lufkin has that can make immediate impacts in smaller divisions.  Looks like he excels in track too.  While they didn’t win the game he will be a playmaker this season 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

My being upset had nothing to do with winning 31-7 vs 52-7. It has everything to do with the mentality of this staff. They don’t have what it takes to coach championship football. They just don’t. Better hope these kids have the talent to pull big things themselves, because they are on their own. 

I'm am in agreement with you to a point. They (Quick) never seems to speak about higher goals in the media, except "we need to get back to the playoffs". Which of course could mean accepting a playoff berth finishing anywhere from 1-4 in district play. For me, I'm old school, and don't really think making the playoffs as a 3rd or 4th place team is much of an accomplishment. To me it helps lower the standards for some programs. That's just me.

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I'm not in disagreement with you. They never speak about higher goals in the media.

I had a tiny little slimmer of hope that I might see something different last night. Since he seems to be high on this group. Nope. Same ol head scratching bull crap. Oh well. I do like the team though. I see the talent. I’m still concerned with O-line and QB play. But it’s early. Can’t let the first game of the season define everything. I just know we aren’t necessarily known for getting better as the season progresses under this staff lol 

28 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I had a tiny little slimmer of hope that I might see something different last night. Since he seems to be high on this group. Nope. Same ol head scratching bull crap. Oh well. I do like the team though. I see the talent. I’m still concerned with O-line and QB play. But it’s early. Can’t let the first game of the season define everything. I just know we aren’t necessarily known for getting better as the season progresses under this staff lol 

No doubt our staff has much to prove getting the best from this group and next years group.

16 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

@PackAttack has Nacogdoches ever beaten Lufkin in Lufkin? 

Not in the last 40 plus years.  The back to back losses in 2013 (28-24) and 2014 (38-35) were in Nacogdoches. We played in Nacogdoches in 2013 as a non district game, then in Nacogdoches again in 2014 as a district game. The other previous loss was in 1992 (21-20)  in Nacogdoches. The previous win by NAC over Lufkin was a 16-0 win in 1982, don't know where that game was played.

1 hour ago, Jackedup said:

Noticed a new name on the Diboll roster, Omarion Scott, looks like he last played for Lufkin JV, but made an immediate impact in last night’s game.. just shows the level of talent Lufkin has that can make immediate impacts in smaller divisions.  Looks like he excels in track too.  While they didn’t win the game he will be a playmaker this season 

I knew about a couple of kids transferring. if someone wants to speak to this, it's okay. As for me, the kids that want to be here are on the roster now. That's all that matters to me. Go Pack!

Diboll lost 24-14 to Madisonville.

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I ended up running across the complaint. Looks like it may be someone from here that was upset. It was posted in the Whats Happening Angelina group. O'well it's over done with now. 

8 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I ended up running across the complaint. Looks like it may be someone from here that was upset. It was posted in the Whats Happening Angelina group. O'well it's over done with now. 

Guess I'm out of the loop with "What's Happening in Angelina County".  They have 31K followers, so they have an audience. Don't join just any group these days.  I may check it out briefly. Not overly concerned about whatever happen last night. I observed it too and thought nothing unusual because it only took place for about 30 seconds before the Lufkin players move over to the sidelines out of the way. No disrespect was intended in my book, over and done with now. 

Huntsville looked solid and could've won this game. Too many mistakes in down the stretch. Their started RB, who didn't play during the scrimmage is pretty good and so is the backup Qb.

AMC looks just slightly better than Legacy to me this year. AMC Qb is just much better and runs more. 

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Not in the last 40 plus years.  The back to back losses in 2013 (28-24) and 2014 (38-35) were in Nacogdoches. We played in Nacogdoches in 2013 as a non district game, then in Nacogdoches again in 2014 as a district game. The other previous loss was in 1992 (21-20)  in Nacogdoches. The previous win by NAC over Lufkin was a 16-0 win in 1982, don't know where that game was played.

Thanks PA