2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It funny how I can get so fed up with something and still go to watch. I'm not hanging on to the past, I know that doesn't exist today. I really love HS football, and yea winning would be nice, it would take my blood pressure down a notch or two. I like going to games, like the atmosphere of a live game, the smells and food of the concession stand. Seeing some of these really nice stadiums first hand, their pre game atmosphere, the bands. Finding a special place to eat that's not in Lufkin. Just getting out of town, and the sentimental part of me, the school song. If I were younger, it would be easier to just walk away, cause I would still have the chance to come back later when things got to my liking again, a winner. Don't have that luxury afforded anymore, I'm on one year plans now after being treated for cancer last year, any one could be my last so I choose not waste the opportunities, even in the present condition of things with the program. So far, I'm doing great and getting good checkups, but you never know for sure with this stuff. So I carry on as a very disappointed Panther football fan, that tries to see between the cracks all the good stuff I still enjoy about going to games, AND it's still to me about supporting our kids.

There was a funny moment this morning reading a scripture, and it really fit my waking up mentality. God is always reminding me he is still around, but I did interpret it in a different light than He intended this morning.

That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 

💥☀️🌏☀️💥🔥

38 minutes ago, LPPACK09 said:

What are Kedren Young's stats for the season? How close is he to the record?

He is 24 yards away. Kedren has 194 carries for 1104 yards on the year and 3523 for his career. No playoff games like Lane, Jorvorskie played in 11 playoff games.

Lane's career rushing record was 3767 yards.

Young ran for 1666 yards in 2022 and 753 in 2021.

Looks like Young  breaking Jorvorskie Lane's career rushing record will be the only highlight of this football season. 

Lufkin has only averaged scoring 21 points per game in district play, while giving up an average of 32 per game. Of course that 42-0 loss to Longview skews those number quite a bit.

Just saying your not winning many games scoring 21 points per game.

On the season Lufkin has averaged 25.9 PPG while giving up 26.5 PPG.  

10 hours ago, Pack007 said:

They don’t deserve it. Horrible coaching and passing game…mostly because we don’t have a Qb and OC. We definitely have good receivers…

It's weird to see LP not get atleast a 4 spot in this district. Besides Longview maybe Lancaster...there's no teams that other teams fear once playoffs start. I thought Longview wasted Hale 4 years by not getting him atleast to a title game but LP has arguably one of the top 3 backs in nation for 3 years and for him to not sniff the the playoffs is really freaking atrocious. 

Just a note about our 2023 non district opponents.  Tyler Legacy has gotten better and are 3-1 in district, Huntsville is 3-1 in district and AMC is 4-1 in district play.  All will be playoff teams.

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just a note about our 2023 non district opponents.  Tyler Legacy has gotten better and are 3-1 in district, Huntsville is 3-1 in district and AMC is 4-1 in district play.  All will be playoff teams.

This is just really unbelievable on the one hand and very believable on the other because it has happened so often.  It shows just how far Lufkin deteriorates as the year wears on. We are out-coached almost every game of the year, and its less noticeable in Weeks 0-3 bc the more detail-oriented coaches need 2-4 weeks before they get in fully sync. 

So, this super awesome freshman group from two years ago had no QB?  That part confuses me.  The OC is basically saying we are so weak at qb I'm not even going to try and gameplan something beyond 8th grade level stuff.  I think the coaches have gotten really good at excuse-making so they can round up their retirements to 30 years.    

15 minutes ago, Favpack said:

This is just really unbelievable on the one hand and very believable on the other because it has happened so often.  It shows just how far Lufkin deteriorates as the year wears on. We are out-coached almost every game of the year, and its less noticeable in Weeks 0-3 bc the more detail-oriented coaches need 2-4 weeks before they get in fully sync. 

So, this super awesome freshman group from two years ago had no QB?  That part confuses me.  The OC is basically saying we are so weak at qb I'm not even going to try and gameplan something beyond 8th grade level stuff.  I think the coaches have gotten really good at excuse-making so they can round up their retirements to 30 years.    

They had a Qb(Gavin) but he was moved to a different position. I was in favor of them turning it over to him after the Lancaster game. He might not have been as polished as Hammonds, but the dude was gamer and had chemistry with Preston. Unfortunately he wasn't available anyway.

The staff decided to invest 3 years into Hammonds and it didn't pay off. Not his fault the line was bad and he wasn't put in the best position to be successful. I think you need a mobile Qb or a true gun slinger if you gonna run any type of spread offense. 

They had a QB, Gavin Phillips, who came in last year in the Lancaster game and almost help us almost beat them.

Green moved him to H back this year, he lasted 4 games and ended up off the team in alternative for vaping in school. At 6-3 250 and able to run well, he would have been a good fit at QB. That's all hind sight now, and there was no reason early on to not  think T J could be successful with the skilled talent around him.  All of that is a vapor now. If things only had a 10% chance of going 6 ways South before the season, they have quadrupled that now and made it to the South Pole. Only in Lufkin.

12 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

They had a QB, Gavin Phillips, who came in last year in the Lancaster game and almost help us almost beat them.

Green moved him to H back this year, he lasted 4 games and ended up off the team in alternative for vaping in school. At 6-3 250 and able to run well, he would have been a good fit at QB. That's all hind sight now, and there was no reason early on to not  think T J could be successful with the skilled talent around him.  All of that is a vapor now. If things only had a 10% chance of going 6 ways South before the season, they have quadrupled that now and made it to the South Pole. Only in Lufkin.

A perfect summary of why this team is out of the playoffs again.  Coach O was smart enough to realize he needed to coach up the most gifted kids he had - that was his ticket to the mid PO's rounds year in and year out.  Sure, some kids got lost in the mix - but not many.  Now, we're just another Nacogdoches.  

18 minutes ago, timeout! said:

They had a Qb(Gavin) but he was moved to a different position. I was in favor of them turning it over to him after the Lancaster game. He might not have been as polished as Hammonds, but the dude was gamer and had chemistry with Preston. Unfortunately he wasn't available anyway.

The staff decided to invest 3 years into Hammonds and it didn't pay off. Not his fault the line was bad and he wasn't put in the best position to be successful. I think you need a mobile Qb or a true gun slinger if you gonna run any type of spread offense. 

thanks for the insight.  I don't really follow the team anymore, certainly not to any extent.  Reminds me of Leonard Hewitt - the team had plenty of wr's after his soph year, so they move him to DB - all state two years in a row!  That's called coaching!  To my knowledge - LH never graduated HS, had a full ride at Tech and never showed up.  Coaches can only do so much, but they turned him into a monster DB and rode him to two state semi's - played his junior year in the PO's with a torn ACL and still had two picks.  You coach up your gamers - period, end of story.   

1 hour ago, GT2 said:

It's weird to see LP not get atleast a 4 spot in this district. Besides Longview maybe Lancaster...there's no teams that other teams fear once playoffs start. I thought Longview wasted Hale 4 years by not getting him atleast to a title game but LP has arguably one of the top 3 backs in nation for 3 years and for him to not sniff the the playoffs is really freaking atrocious. 

Top 3 backs in the nation?   Rivals has him at 19.  Longviews Tatum is still 3 though.  

22 minutes ago, mr. b said:

Good question and I do think he would be just as good as Tatum at Longview.  So maybe he is a top 3 back in the country?

I think Kedren having to play behind a bad offensive line like this will help his game more then Tatum at the next level initially. I think they're both high caliber backs and not much separates them. Both can catch the ball out the backfield and run between the tackles with home run speed

On 10/13/2023 at 10:41 PM, PurpleNation said:

I just don't understand it. We have up 3rd and super long 3 times tonight. That was essentially the ball game. We get those stops and we more then likely win. We don't have any natural pass rushers so we need to manufacture a rush. How do you do that? By sending 5-6 guys. Don't even give them time to develop a route to pick up 25 yards. Tonight was beyond frustrating. We have to be better then that. 

On 10/14/2023 at 8:33 AM, Packfan49 said:

Yeah that three man front isn't working. Zion was getting handled, maybe he's not fully recovered 

Not fully recovered?  73 is better and plays harder.  Some of y’all are infatuated with 6’4 300.  Takes more plays off than he makes.  Should have been running a 4-3 all year with the size.

when you run a 3 man front and use your d-ends to take on double teams to open up for linebackers they have to make plays and consistently don’t.

the d line is the strength and should be used to make plays not just take on blockers.

17 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Hooper is far and away our best defensive player. 2nd best football player on the team behind Kedren. 

You can thank the d line for keeping o linemen getting to second level for him to make plays.  Kids a good player!

14 hours ago, PackAttack said:

What the heck is he going to do diffetent than what he did this year. Keeping Inadequate coaching on staff. If he can't win with these last two groups, he won't win with next year's group. You can bank money on it.

Yep

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I definitely wanna keep Coach Soderquist. They played decent defense this year and he makes adjustments. I seen enough to like what they could and should be next season on that side but I am 100% on it's time for Green to either go back to 6th grade PE or Jacksonville. 

No he doesn’t what are you watching?

You serious Clark? Our defense clearly makes adjustments. 

Some of US are obsessed with 6’4” and 300? I guess we are the same ones making offers for Georgia, UT, A&M, LSU, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC…and all the other Power 5 schools that have made or will make him offers. 

1 hour ago, Jon Moxon said:

Some of US are obsessed with 6’4” and 300? I guess we are the same ones making offers for Georgia, UT, A&M, LSU, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC…and all the other Power 5 schools that have made or will make him offers. 

Yes I’m serious, I am not saying he’s bad as he is not, but watch the games and the film and what I said is justified.  I want him to succeed.  And we got another at that position that has played better.

1 hour ago, Jon Moxon said:

And making adjustments, most of the season when been third and long, consistently been beat over the top, draws, screens you name it, not many adjustments.  And not getting any type of pressure when rushing 3 the majority of the season.