Longview (6-1) at McKinney North (6-1)   Longview  +15

Lufkin (4-3) at Tyler (5-2)  Tyler  +8

West Mesquite (3-4) at Lancaster (2-5)  Lancaster + 35

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lufkin travels to face talented Tyler team

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/lufkin-travels-to-face-talented-tyler-team/article_e5b08b3c-60d6-53e3-a149-d956a1ceb1c8.html

It has been a frustrating start of district action for the Lufkin Panthers.

It began with a rough night in Longview and has included two losses in football games the Panthers were in until the end.

That is the bad news for the Panthers after a 1-3 start to district. The good news is Lufkin still controls its own fate when it comes to snapping a two-year drought from the postseason.

If the Panthers can win their final three games, they’ll be in the playoffs.

“We’ve got three games left,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “If we win those, then we’re in. We’ve got three very capable opponents ahead of us, and we’re all in the same boat. Everyone is fighting for the playoffs.

The Panthers enter tonight’s game in a fifth-place tie with Lancaster and West Mesquite. Those are the last two teams on Lufkin’s schedule. The team directly in front of Lufkin is tonight’s opponent, Tyler.

Therefore, if Lufkin wins each of those final three games, it would be in the playoffs.

“Last year, we were in a position where we knew we needed to win, but we knew we needed some help, as well,” Quick said. “It’s all in front of us this year. It’s not on anybody else. If we don’t make it happen, then it’s on us.”

If the Panthers are to take the first step in the process, it won’t be an easy one when they make the short trip to Rose Stadium to take on the Tyler Lions.

Tyler (5-2, 2-2) has split its first four district games with wins over West Mesquite and North Mesquite and losses to McKinney North and Lancaster. The Lions close the season against Longview and Forney.

The Lions are in their first year under the direction of Rashaun Woods, a former All-American wide receiver at Oklahoma State. He also spent time in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers.

He was a head coach for an Oklahoma state championship team at John Marshall High School before moving on to Enid, Okla. Woods was hired at Tyler High School earlier this year.

The Lions have been an improved group since his arrival. Last year’s Lions team started 0-3 on the way to a 2-8 mark. This year, Tyler went through the non-district schedule unbeaten and started 4-0 before dropping two of its last three games.

“Just looking at them on film, they look better,” Quick said. “They look like a well coached team and they’ve got players that can beat you.”

The first Tyler player that stands out is receiver Derrick McFall, who has committed to play for Chip Kelly at UCLA.

He is the team’s top receiver with 41 receptions for 666 yards and eight touchdowns. He is also a threat on the trick play as he has completed 2-of-3 passes for 82 yards, including a 71-yard touchdown.

Quick said the Panthers also have to be aware of Marquette Martin, a receiver who has 20 catches for 323 yards and five scores.

“McFall is the one who gets your attention and rightfully so,” Quick said. “But you put a bunch of attention out there and (Martin) has been getting one-on-ones and making teams pay. He’s played really well all year.”

Sophomore QB Caden Granberry will run the show for the Lions’ offense. He has been strong throughout the season, throwing for 1,426 yards and 17 touchdowns while only tossing two interceptions.

The Lions have a balanced offense, although the majority of big plays have come through the air. Ashton Arriaga is the team’s leading rusher with 361 yards and four touchdowns on 79 carries. Jamichael Cooper has 215 yards and four scores on 33 carries despite missing a pair of games.

“Their quarterback has been playing really good,” Quick said. “He’ll get them out of bad plays. They’ll stick with the run, so they’re pretty balanced.”

While Tyler’s offense has been putting up strong numbers, the defense has been a solid unit, as well.

The Lions give up an average of 14 points per game. They have held their opponents to 14 points or fewer in four of seven games.

Linebacker D’Canaan Sueing leads the team with 66 tackles. Daquevion Sellers is another linebacker who has 48 tackles.

One of the top playmakers is defensive end Julian Dews, who has a team-high 10 tackles for losses.

“Their linebackers are very active and will run to the ball,” Quick said. “(Dews) has a good motor. We’re going to need to know where he’s lining up on every play.”

In addition to being a key game for both teams, Tyler will hold its homecoming ceremonies prior to the contest. The Lions’ 1973 state championship football team, which was led by eventual Pro Football Hall of Famer Earl Campbell, will be recognized between the first and second quarters.

Kickoff for tonight’s game is scheduled for 7.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

No picks from me, just hope they have a good BBQ sandwich at the concessions.  Going to sit back and watch the game, win this one you got to win two more just to make 4th, then play PAM or Barbers Hill on the road.  This is kind of like going to the dentist, mouth wide open, dentist drilling away, you just waiting for it to be over.

10 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

No picks from me, just hope they have a good BBQ sandwich at the concessions.  Going to sit back and watch the game, win this one you got to win two more just to make 4th, then play PAM or LaPorte on the road.  This is kind of like going to the dentist, mouth wide open, dentist drilling away, you just waiting for it to be over.

Lmfao. I couldn’t agree more PA. It’s either laugh or cry at this point.

Take a look at the statistics of the Lufkin WR this year.  Check out underclassmen Kev Taylor, Krisean Preston and Quincey Coutee.  Preston and Taylor lead the team in TD receptions. Coutee has been used more in the last couple of games. 

Sr Brayden Murphy - 26 - 379 yds -  14.6  avg - 50 long - 1 TD 

JR Kev Taylor - 18 - 349 yds - 19.4  avg -  79  long - 4 TD

JR Krisean Preston - 17 - 338  yds -  19.9  avg -  65 long - 5 TD

JR Quincey Coutee -  6 -  67 - 11.2 avg - 21 long - 0 TD

I stopped by and checked out the JV game yesterday. They have some huge linemen. Not sure how it will translate once they get to varsity. A few players did stick out. I was impressed with Kenneth Waters. The team was playing pretty hard. Saw a crack back block by one of our reivers that blew the Tyler defender off his feet. It got a big reaction from the crowd. Unfortunately the play was called back because of holding. I haven't seen a Panther player throw a block like that in a while. But the player that really stood out was #10 Carson Jones. That kid is a head hunter. And really stood out from both squads. He was all over the field and has a motor. Reminded me of some of the old Lbs of past Panther squads. Dude wraps up and puts a lick on you. I lost count of how many times the announcer called his name. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in the future. 

21 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I stopped by and checked out the JV game yesterday. They have some huge linemen. Not sure how it will translate once they get to varsity. A few players did stick out. I was impressed with Kenneth Waters. The team was playing pretty hard. Saw a crack back block by one of our reivers that blew the Tyler defender off his feet. It got a big reaction from the crowd. Unfortunately the play was called back because of holding. I haven't seen a Panther player throw a block like that in a while. But the player that really stood out was #10 Carson Jones. That kid is a head hunter. And really stood out from both squads. He was all over the field and has a motor. Reminded me of some of the old Lbs of past Panther squads. Dude wraps up and puts a lick on you. I lost count of how many times the announcer called his name. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in the future. 

That is what Purple Nation has been speaking about next years D being Elite.  

Wanted to share this play by Max Quick over at SFA.  That field is like looking at a bad black and white TV picture.  Hey Mom, I think we have one color. Some of you aren't old enough to remember. LOL

2 hours ago, timeout! said:

Wish Carson Jones would have stayed at Diboll, he moved to Lufkin a year or two ago.  

4 hours ago, timeout! said:

This the hope we all hang onto for better days and winning football play.  Coach Quick repeats often, this losing is not what he wants in all of his interviews.  He mentioned the coaches changed some things after the Forney game, some new package groups,  said the kids responded better but just didn't make enough plays to win against MN.  There is just so much talking one can absorb until you must see some winning proof on the field.  There will be two separate schools of thought after tonight's game, depending on whether winning or losing is involved.  Much of what is said in losing will be the same old things as done the past 10 years, not going there anymore.  I already know the answer and my 2 cent of thought won't change a thing. Frankly I'm just tired of talking about the same old crap. My hope is the school board will address this  soon, or I will use my school board vote as a voice of action.

To win tonight will be great, wouldn't want to go too overboard about that either, but it would be a start. There still would be two more wins to secure, just to get that 4th place slot. Another thing is everyone who beats us in district has the tie breaker advantage, in case of. The formula is pretty simple, win out and make the playoffs, something that hasn't happen around here in a while.

Quick says the team knows what is at stake, I'm listening, so we will see how this works out.  Is this the start of a mini winning streak or the stark reality of a missing the playoffs again for a three-peat?  However this all turns out we must understand this, we are only observers at the mercy of the winds in charge. That's all there is for us football fans.

My best wishes are always with the players, and the only real reason I stick, to support you guys. I want to see you all be successful in your efforts.