2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I agree. We should have definitely had a better showing but I'm just being real about the situation next season. Lufkin won't be in a district remotely close to this and I don't think we need to hold that against them.

And that's a good thing. I will have to admit that we got caught a perfect storm this year and last in this district with Longview, Forney, McKinney North and Lancaster having some of their best talent come along as the same time as Lufkin getting some decent talent. There are some outstanding coaching staffs in this district as well, as we have found out. This group will be better somewhere else next year, but I still don't think it helps us as far as better coaching or playoff runs if we keep some of the same guys on staff.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Last night I watched Lufkin has a few issues. Once again we couldn’t block to save our lives. On the final drive our best offensive weapon was left in to pass protect. Qb had no time. The entire offense scheme makes no sense. On defense we have no pass rush. Our line is getting worn down because they are absorbing blocks the whole time. Team speed isn’t there. The Tyler team was fast. We are not. It showed. They are strong. We are not. It showed. 

I think we would of been better off going with Johnson at QB late. He would of been good enough to evade the rush and get outside the pocket and put pressure on the Tyler defense to come up off the WRs and tackle him in space and that might of opened up a big play down field. He should 100% get the start next week. Like you said the scheme is trash. No TE's and nothing under center. Tyler doesn't even have to defend the middle of the field 95% of the time. Personally I have nothing against Green. I just think it's time. When you're arguing with your players on the sideline because they know you're screwing them over it's a problem and it's just time to go.

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

And that's a good thing. I will have to admit that we got caught a perfect storm this year and last in this district with Longview, Forney, McKinney North and Lancaster having some of their best talent come along as the same time as Lufkin getting some decent talent. There are some outstanding coaching staffs in this district as well, as we have found out. This group will be better somewhere else next year, but I still don't think it helps us as far as better coaching or playoff runs if we keep some of the same guys on staff.

I definitely wanna keep Coach Soderquist. They played decent defense this year and he makes adjustments. I seen enough to like what they could and should be next season on that side but I am 100% on it's time for Green to either go back to 6th grade PE or Jacksonville. 

3 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I definitely wanna keep Coach Soderquist. They played decent defense this year and he makes adjustments. I seen enough to like what they could and should be next season on that side but I am 100% on it's time for Green to either go back to 6th grade PE or Jacksonville. 

I have NO problem with defense. Everything is screwed up on the offensive side and it has been for years now.

32 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I agree Lufkin has been in some games. I also agree they are talented. The problem is they still play bad football. Good district or not you can’t watch these games and tell me it’s good football. The only team I’ve seen play worse football might be Legacy and Nac. I see a team that honestly should be 7-1 but they are what their record says they are. 

I agree with that. They have held leads or been tied in the 2nd half of every game this year except Longview. Most of the problems if not all of them are with the offense. Now that's bad football 101. 

11 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think we would have been better off going with Johnson at QB late. He would of been good enough to evade the rush and get outside the pocket and put pressure on the Tyler defense to come up off the WRs and tackle him in space and that might of opened up a big play down field. He should 100% get the start next week. Like you said the scheme is trash. No TE's and nothing under center. Tyler doesn't even have to defend the middle of the field 95% of the time. Personally I have nothing against Green. I just think it's time. When you're arguing with your players on the sideline because they know you're screwing them over it's a problem and it's just time to go.

I’ve been saying Johnson should play since spring. If nothing else for the run option to complement Kedren. 

Just now, PurpleNation said:

I agree with that. They have held leads or been tied in the 2nd half of every game this year except Longview. Most of the problems if not all of them are with the offense. Now that's bad football 101. 

My big what if is, if the line was good is the offense still bad? Play are probably still basic but just opening up running lanes would change everything. Giving one more second is pass protection is a huge deal. 

Just now, Pack13 said:

I’ve been saying Johnson should play since spring. If nothing else for the run option to complement Kedren. 

That's why I was against playing him early because Green won't mold the offense to his ability. I personally thought he did enough against Forney to get more of a look. The offense needs to be completely revamped next season around his skill set. 

Just now, PurpleNation said:

I think we would of been better off going with Johnson at QB late. He would of been good enough to evade the rush and get outside the pocket and put pressure on the Tyler defense to come up off the WRs and tackle him in space and that might of opened up a big play down field. He should 100% get the start next week. Like you said the scheme is trash. No TE's and nothing under center. Tyler doesn't even have to defend the middle of the field 95% of the time. Personally I have nothing against Green. I just think it's time. When you're arguing with your players on the sideline because they know you're screwing them over it's a problem and it's just time to go.

A good point that has been there all year. T J was never a threat to run, and it does make a difference in pass coverage on our WR.  I can hardly watch when they roll TJ out on plays, it looks like such an unnatural move for him and he can never get his feet set on the move to throw accurately. It's not his fault, he is doing the best he can, he is just not a RPO spread offensive QB. it's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  He is more likely to be successful running the Power I and being the Tom Brady type pocket passer, of course we have him running the spread with no real option for him to run. You see that is on the OC for not changing and adapting the offense to the talent he has any given season. I really don't like talking about it, that guys been a frustration for myself and many others to watch for too many years now. 

1 minute ago, PurpleNation said:

That's why I was against playing him early because Green won't mold the offense to his ability. I personally thought he did enough against Forney to get more of a look. The offense needs to be completely revamped next season around his skill set. 

We all know that offense won’t get molded around the talent we have. They have made that very clear. Is this the same offense Lane played in? 

Just now, Pack13 said:

My big what if is, if the line was good is the offense still bad? Play are probably still basic but just opening up running lanes would change everything. Giving one more second is pass protection is a huge deal. 

It definitely would help but the scheme overall is still bad. You don't make the defense defend enough of the field. Play calls coming in way to late. We need to be an up tempo offense with the type of skill players we have. To many times the defense is already set and by the time they show the blitz it's to late. Playing faster and hard counting would show the defenses hand and allow for us to call a play from where the blitz is coming from or force them to check out of it.

4 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

We were told by Quick before the season we would be running a two QB system this year, thought is sounded great because both kids had a different skill set to offer and it would make us a diverse offense. I guess Green over rode that memo.

2 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

We all know that offense won’t get molded around the talent we have. They have made that very clear. Is this the same offense Lane played in? 

Yep exact same offense Lane was in but we had an offensive line and a dang good QB. It wasn't the play calls why we went 14-1 we were just immensely more talented and our defense was only giving up 11 ppg in 04 or something close to that. 

The whole program needs a make over. We knew Lufkin would have to step it up when we saw who would be in our district. Lufkin always had a speed and athleticism advantage vs most of the teams in our old Houston districts. Doesn't matter what district we are in next year. If we continue doing the same stuff.

So let's say we are placed in a weak district. What's the reward for making the playoffs? Most likely facing a team from a much more competitive district. Which gets us back to being one and done. Get your program fixed and you don't have to worry about such things. Longview doesn't worry about stuff like that. They actually want good teams in their district. It's a chance for them to prove how good they are. There was a time Lufkin was the same. 

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Yep exact same offense Lane was in but we had an offensive line and a dang good QB. It wasn't the play calls why we went 14-1 we were just immensely more talented and our defense was only giving up 11 ppg in 04 or something close to that. 

Those good old days when times were better and life was easy.

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

A good point that has been there all year. T J was never a threat to run, and it does make a difference in pass coverage on our WR.  I can hardly watch when they roll TJ out on plays, it looks like such an unnatural move for him and he can never get his feet set on the move to throw accurately. It's not his fault, he is doing the best he can, he is just not a RPO spread offensive QB. it's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  He is more likely to be successful running the Power I and being the Tom Brady type pocket passer, of course we have him running the spread with no real option for him to run. You see that is on the OC for not changing and adapting the offense to the talent he has any given season. I really don't like talking about it, that guys been a frustration for myself and many others to watch for too many years now. 

I been saying this for a while. Plug him at Longview and he would be fine. That scheme would make his life a lot easier. 

I'm going to try not to think to much about it. This season is almost over and the probability of us making the post season is ventilator status. The oldest kid got me a couple of Texas vs Houston tickets today and he's not playing today so I can cheer for Texas and not feel guilty. I'm still going to wear my cougar shirt because it would probably be frowned apon picking up a players ticket in a Texas shirt lol

8 minutes ago, timeout! said:

The whole program needs a make over. We knew Lufkin would have to step it up when we saw who would be in our district. Lufkin always had a speed and athleticism advantage vs most of the teams in our old Houston districts. Doesn't matter what district we are in next year. If we continue doing the same stuff.

So let's say we are placed in a weak district. What's the reward for making the playoffs? Most likely facing a team from a much more competitive district. Which gets us back to being one and done. Get your program fixed and you don't have to worry about such things. Longview doesn't worry about stuff like that. They actually want good teams in their district. It's a chance for them to prove how good they are. There was a time Lufkin was the same. 

I agree at the end of the day we should be good enough to compete in this district.

22 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I’m just impressed you waste two running backs of that talent in the spread offense. 

Carl Kiel is on a tear again, good for him. I do want to make a point to him though, the The Lufkin Sideliners do not exist right now, whatever attempts to bring them back has not materialized from the athletic department side of things, and that might be all well and good at this point. Would be much to talk about anyway. The Lufkin Sideliners did not support losing when they were an active organization., there was no blind eye from us then, at least not for myself. 

https://www.facebook.com/lufkinpanthersports

School Name *W-L *Pct. *PF *PA W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
Longview 5-0 1.000 206 55 7-1 0.875 303 92 7 W
Forney 4-1 0.800 192 67 7-1 0.875 371 77 2 W
McKinney North 4-1 0.800 179 141 6-2 0.750 308 181 1 L
Tyler 3-2 0.600 142 105 6-2 0.750 235 167 2 W
Lancaster 2-3 0.400 165 128 3-5 0.375 234 212 1 W
Lufkin 1-4 0.200 105 160 4-4 0.500 207 212 2 L
West Mesquite 1-4 0.200 60 246 3-5 0.375 129 295 3 L
North Mesquite 0-5 0.000 42 189 1-7 0.125 93 277 7 L

Got called out a little bit by a HS girl last night for getting upset with Green. She didn't understand why so many folks in the stand were hollering at him. She said she liked him and didn't understand why losing was a big deal, "they're doing the best they can" she said, and that's the problem right there. It's totally a generational thing, losing matters more to me, evidently not so much to others.

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Got called out a little bit by a HS girl last night for getting upset with Green. She didn't understand why so many folks in the stand were hollering at him. She said she liked him and didn't understand why losing was a big deal, "they're doing the best they can" she said, and that's the problem right there. It's totally a generational thing, losing matters more to me, evidently not so much to others.

And she just a young HS girl. She has no understanding of what has happened to this program, or the dynamics at play that continue to hinder it. She simply wants to cheer them on. They played hard, as Quick would say, and thats all that matters to her. Plus these kids weren't around during the glory years. They only know Lufkin as being an average to below average team. The highlight of the  year for them is beating Nacogdoches. They don't see the faded image of an apex Lion that was once our program like we do. Losing big games and no playoff success is the norm for them. They don't know anything different.