2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Here is my take on the Legacy game and maybe NAC and AMC too. If the Panthers do not win this game and the other non district games by at least 4 scores. Then those Longview and Forney games will be a big question.

That is just my opinion. Our opponents have not been concerned these past few years about running up the score, and kicking the Panthers when they had the opportunity.  Lufkin's philosophy believes they are great clock managers, and to win by 2 scores is something of an accomplishment for them. It's also doing the minimum to win. This cost Lufkin last year against McKinney North, in blowing a 3 score lead. Our backup kids need a chance to have success and score just as the starters do, they should not to be used as clock fodder, and that's how it works in Lufkin. Hand off left, hand off right, clock tick tick tick. Punt and play D.  Against overmatched opponents, Longview, Forney and Lancaster keep scoring points until there is no chance to lose the game.

Hey, I'm not worried about this year's kids ability to play, there are other issues afoot that remain a track record. There's an old saying, it hard for a leopard to change its spots. To change one's innate long term nature of coaching is almost impossible. 

We are about to find out if anything is really different starting this week.

I agree Lufkin doesn't need to take it's foot off the gas until it's a 40 point game. Forney and MN can score points in bunches. I think Lufkin will send a message Friday night.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/20/2023 at 10:47 AM, LufkinPack said:

Yep. I agree. Lufkin needs to send a message and set a tone when the opportunity arises. But we won’t. I don’t know how many games I’ve seen us win 31-21 when we could’ve won it 45-7 

To be perfectly honest, this philosophy is a carry over from the Outlaw years, it was his philosophy. It worked for him because he had the ability to pull it off better, Outlaw's playoff record proves that fact.  You can bet if Longview, Forney, even Legacy had a chance to beat Lufkin 60-0, they would probably have no issue with it. Legacy did beat us 70 -32 back in 2020. Lufkin has taken several lopsided losses these last several years, that didn't happen much under Outlaw's leadership. Why dwell on a distant past none of us can do anything about, it's a different time, a different year, and a different group of kids with potential to watch play. I just get bone tired thinking about the past, here is to 2023 and the hopeful success of the next few years. May they help us forget the past.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

You can guarantee if Longview, Forney, even Legacy had a chance to beat Lufkin 60-0, they would have no issue doing so.

If there were ever a year for Longview to completely blow out Lufkin, it would've been last season.

You know that King wouldn't run the score up on Lp, anymore than he would any other opponent. That game last season could've ended 80-7 and it still wouldn't of justified how the night went.

Heck even in 2020, Longview could've won by a 50+ margin but really called off the dogs in the second half.

21 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

If there were ever a year for Longview to completely blow out Lufkin, it would've been last season.

You know that King wouldn't run the score up on Lp, anymore than he would any other opponent. That game last season could've ended 80-7 and it still wouldn't of justified how the night went.

Heck even in 2020, Longview could've won by a 50+ margin but really called off the dogs in the second half.

Well, from a Lufkin perspective losing 56-7 and 41-5 in our last two meetings seem quite lopsided to us, and I agree it probably could have been worse.  Still, the Lobos scored 14 points in the 4th quarter after leading 42-7 after the 3rd.  The last score with 1:42 left on the clock. So it's a matter of perception and which side of the fence your standing on.

Then again, most of our other losses or wins with the Lobos in the previous years coached by Quick have been much better competition.  All that matters now is what happens in 2023, and I'm looking forward to it.

20 hours ago, timeout! said:

Longview vs Tx High scrimmage. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbbPI1FlQs

Thanks, I watched this one too.  There is much said about Longview, there is something to be said also about Texas High here.  You can't be psyched out about a team based on their reputation or ranked predictions alone. I'm thinking some folks have a couple chinks in their armor to work out to be as good as the rankings say.

The Longview GameDay bunch do a good technical job of their broadcast.

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Thanks, I watched this one too.  We have already said this a few times. The Longview GameDay bunch do a ready good technical job of their broadcast.

True. But we got a prince tribute band for back to school for $50K and a big nice purple throne 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

True. But we got a prince tribute band for back to school for $50K and a big nice purple throne 🤣🤣🤣

Well, with the administrative leave officially accepted by the board, the evaluation is on, and there's the possibility of other silver spoons dropping before the Summer of 2024. I believe this current board has every intentions to have the districts budget balanced next year.

That guy made a few thousand, wasn’t anywhere near 50k.  School definitely has a budget problem but it’s going to be hard to balance unless the state comes through with big $s.  Lufkin has lost big numbers of students and losing those $s cannot be replaced.  It would be interesting to know how many uncertified teachers are in the classroom this year, the number is high. Hopefully the board brings someone from the outside to straighten this mess out.  

18 hours ago, mr. b said:

That guy made a few thousand, wasn’t anywhere near 50k.  School definitely has a budget problem but it’s going to be hard to balance unless the state comes through with big $s.  Lufkin has lost big numbers of students and losing those $s cannot be replaced.  It would be interesting to know how many uncertified teachers are in the classroom this year, the number is high. Hopefully the board brings someone from the outside to straighten this mess out.  

Guess we'll never know what was paid to Prince entertainer. At this point it's water under the bridge, other more important things are in motion now. We need to be better when we come out the other side of things next year. I'm only concerned right now about going out there and winning some football games.

These Panthers know two things about their plans for 2023.

1. They're ready for the playoff drought to end.

2. It won't be easy.

Coach Quick said " That's been the mindset of this team since January 1st". " This group has been working at a high level in the offseason".  He said he liked the hard work the young kids have put in and the seniors have put in the hard work to lead the team. "It won't be easy!".  The 7-5A DI district is really good, probably better than it was last year. This district has 5 of the best RB in the State of Texas, and fortunately one of them is playing for Lufkin, Kedren Young.  It's going to be a fight every night in this 2023 district.

Quick said " If your looking at the district from the outside, Longview is probably considered the best team, but there are athletes all over this district. It's not going to be easy.  "Kedren Young is our go-to guy". "We are going to try and make teams try to stop our run game". "We'll go with a two-back and even three-back formations.  "We are going to use RB Bacquari Murphy and also Gavin Phillips as an H-Back or TE Hybrid, he can also play QB. .He can be a weapon wherever we put him".

The Panthers will have two QB threats this year. T J Hammond will start the year, he was a full time starter in 2022 throwing for 1464 yards. Quick said, "he threw the ball really well in 7 on 7 this Summer". "He is our pocket passer and they are expecting big things from him".  A new threat at QB will be Javion Johnson, who is expected to make an early impact. Quick said, "he is a tall lean kid who is a good runner". "He can be a passing threat as well, but he is a real threat in the zone read".  Quick said, "we are planning on having a two QB system". "We are excited about it because we can have two totally different things when T J is back there or when Johnson is in the game".

Both QB will have excellent targets at WR with KeVondrick Taylor, Krisean Preston, Keandre Hooper and Brayden Murphy.

An improved OL will be a big key to the success of the Panther offense with Jordan Nichols, Gio Villegas and Daniel Torres returning with significant playing time last year. Quick said, "We had the biggest improvement from those guys in the offseason than any other group on the team". "We are expecting those guys to be the backbone of our offense". 

The Lufkin defense gave up 44 average points per game in 4 district games last year. In 2023 Junior Zion Williams returns as one of the most recruited in the Nation. He will be at NT, and there is depth at that position with Elijah Alexander and Brenden Baker.  Jordan McClendon, Cooper Conrad and Maurice Curl will start and anchor the DE positions. Quick stated, "We've got good depth on the defensive line". "We've got some guys that can play on the inside and the outside, so we will have an excellent rotation there. We won't get worn down as games progress this year. Isaiah Menefee at 6-3, 190 has been moved from safety to OLB, while WR Amarion Campbell 6-1, 185 has been moved to safety. Lufkin is expecting big things from Menefee this season.  Mike Mosley Jr is in the mix in the secondary, with a ton of speed. Lufkin will start Kenneth Timmons and Evan Young at CB. "They both had really good Spring workouts and an excellent track season".  "They have no issues playing on an island with anyone". 

Lufkin has good depth at LB and have a variety of options at that position. Keithan Davis is an OLB who can play as an extra safety. Jacoriane White was a DB last season and moves to OLB this year.  Kaden Hooper will hold down the middle of the LB group. Quick said, "He is a very physical kid who will make the calls defensively," " He will be in charge of the huddle".  Juan Lara and Ross Byrd, Jordan Booker and Elijah Menefee will be in the LB rotation. Lots of depth here.

"The key to our defense is getting the right 11 in the right spots", said Quick. "We have guys we know can play. Playing together as an 11 - man unit will be the big thing".

Noland Hansard is returning as kicker and punter this season. Kaden Hooper and Damian Diaz will be the kickoff and punt returners.  

Quick said," The offseason has been good". "We've had 125 guys in here working hard all Summer. They want to be back in the playoffs and hard work is what it's going to take".

The journey begins this Friday night, we have been waiting two years to see this come together.  I for one am feeling a sense of excitement in this group.  You could see it in the scrimmage.  I have hope in them too. Go Pack!

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

These Panthers know two things about their plans for 2023.

1. They're ready for the playoff drought to end.

2. It won't be easy.

Coach Quick said " That's been the mindset of this team since January 1st". " This group has been working at a high level in the offseason".  He said he like the hard work the young kids have put it and the seniors to put in the work to lead the team. "It won't be easy!".  The 7-5A DI district is really good, probably better than it was last year. This district has 5 of the best RB in the State of Texas, and fortunately one of them is playing for Lufkin, Kedren Young.  It's going to be a fight every night in this 2023 district.

Quick said " If your looking at the district from the outside, Longview is probably considered the best team, but there are athletes all over this district. It's not going to be easy.  "Kedren Young is our go-to guy". "We are going to try and make teams try to stop our run game". "We'll go with a two-back and even three-back formations.  "We are going to use RB Bacquari Murphy and also Gavin Phillips as an H-Back or TE Hybrid, he can also play QB. .He can be a weapon wherever we put him".

The Panthers will have two QB threats this year. T J Hammond will start the year, he was a full time starter in 2022 throwing for 1464 yards. Quick said, "he threw the ball really well in 7 on 7 this Summer". "He is our pocket passer and they are expecting big things from him".  A new threat at QB will be Javion Johnson, who is expected to make an early impact. Quick said, "he is a tall lean kid who is a good runner". "He can be a passing threat as well, but he is a real threat in the zone read".  Quick said, "we are planning on having a two QB system". "We are excited about it because we can have two totally different things when T J is back there or when Johnson is in the game".

Both QB will have excellent targets at WR with KeVondrick Taylor, Krisean Preston, Keandre Hooper and Brayden Murphy.

An improved OL will be a big key to the success of the Panther offense with Jordan Nichols, Gio Villegas and Daniel Torres returning with significant playing time last year. Quick said, "We had the biggest improvement from those guys in the offseason than any other group on the team". "We are expecting those guys to be the backbone of our offense". 

The Lufkin defense gave up 44 average points per game in 4 district games last year. In 2023 Junior Zion Williams returns as one of the most recruited in the Nation. He will be at NT, and there is depth at that position with Elijah Alexander and Brenden Baker.  Jordan McClendon, Cooper Conrad and Maurice Curl will start and anchor the DE positions. Quick stated, "We've got good depth on the defensive line". "We've got some guys that can play on the inside and the outside, so we will have an excellent rotation there. We won't get worn down as games progress this year. Isaiah Menefee at 6-3, 190 has been moved from safety to OLB, while WR Amarion Campbell 6-1, 185 has been moved to safety. Lufkin is expecting big things from Menefee this season.  Mike Mosley Jr is in the mix in the secondary, with a ton of speed. Lufkin will start Kenneth Timmons and Evan Young at CB. "They both had really good Spring workouts and an excellent track season".  "They have no issues playing on an island with anyone". 

Lufkin has good depth at LB and have a variety of options at that position. Keithan Davis si an OLB who can play as an extra safety. Jacoriane White was a DB last season and moves to OLB this year.  Kaden Hooper will hold down the middle of the LB group. Quick said, "He is a very physical kid who will make the calls defensively," " He will be in charge of the huddle".  Juan Lara and Ross Byrd, Jordan Booker and Elijah Menefee will be in the LB rotation. Lots of depth here.

"The key to our defense is getting the right 11 in the right spots", said Quick. "We have guys we know can play. Playing together as an 11 - man unit will be the big thing".

Noland Hansard is returning as kicker and punter this season. Kaden Hooper and Damian Diaz will be the kickoff and punt returners.  

Quick said," The offseason has been good". "We've had 125 guys in here working hard all Summer. They want to be back in the playoffs and hard work is what it's going to take".

The journey begins this Friday night, we have been waiting two years to see this come together.  I for one am feeling a sense of excitement in this group.  You could see it in the scrimmage.  I have hope in them too. Go Pack!

I was wondering would both QB get to play 

5 hours ago, Pack05 said:

I was wondering would both QB get to play 

Hammond is the clear cut #1 guy. He played well in the scrimmage. If he manages games like that during the season we're going to have a really good year. Johnson is really still a year away but they can definitely deploy him in certain packages. I would use him inside the 5. He has a really good zone read fake.

Kaden Hooper has a chance to be one of the best LBs to come through Lufkin. He has that kind of ability. This defense is going to be tough this year. Next season they're going to be unbelievable. I told you guys the tide is turning the next 2-3 years. But like someone said are we just a really good team or can we be a contender. I guess we will find out here in the next month. 

18 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Kaden Hooper has a chance to be one of the best LBs to come through Lufkin. He has that kind of ability. This defense is going to be tough this year. Next season they're going to be unbelievable. I told you guys the tide is turning the next 2-3 years. But like someone said are we just a really good team or can we be a contender. I guess we will find out here in the next month. 

He has played that position since the boys and girls club  super bowl champs and little Panthers aau travel team runner up in a game against the little league national champions. And your right on point...

59 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

That’s saying a lot . We’ve had some talented LBs here. Have not seen much film on him at this point.

I remember our LBs from 2001 and the State Championship team, they were the backbone of that defense.

We had Girverius Shelley (125 tackles), Ataymian Skinner (121 tackles) and Drefus Thompson (85 tackles) that year. 

There was also Mandela Roberts (6-0, 220) with 128 tackles in 2006.

3 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I remember our LBs from 2001 and the State Championship team, they were the backbone of that defense.

We had Girverius Shelley (125 tackles), Ataymian Skinner (121 tackles) and Drefus Thompson (85 tackles) that year. 

Yea so to put Hooper in that company is a lot .

8 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

Yea so to put Hooper in that company is a lot .

Kaden Hooper had 49 tackles - 4 TFL- 1 Sack - 1 FR in 2022 as a sophomore. Hooper is a junior, so he has two more years to make his mark for the Lufkin Panther defense.