2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

4 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure that 73-0 happened after he graduated. lol

Lufkin did not blow out Nacogdoches after 1986 until 1993 winning 51-0, then 42-2 in 2001, 56-0 in 2002, 54-12 in 2003 and 55-7 in 2004, 43-0 in 2006,  29-0 in 2007, 33-0 in 2009, 72-20 in 2010,  69-14 in 2011, 45-7 in 2012, 38-0 in 2015, 45-7 in 2018,  44-0 in 2019 and 37-0 in 2022.   

You need to go all the way to 2009 to get even close to the 73-0 he mentioned happen when he was in school in 1986-87.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin did not blow out Nacogdoches after 1986 until 1993 winning 51-0, then 42-2 in 2001, 56-0 in 2002, 54-12 in 2003 and 55-7 in 2004, 43-0 in 2006,  29-0 in 2007, 33-0 in 2009, 72-20 in 2010,  69-14 in 2011, 45-7 in 2012, 38-0 in 2015, 45-7 in 2018,  44-0 in 2019 and 37-0 in 2022.   

You need to go all the way to 2009 to get even close to the 73-0 he mentioned happen when he was in school in 1986-87.

So does he get in trouble for embellishing the truth? lol

Seem like a good guy. Just got his facts mixed all the way up. Although, I think I would remember if my team beat  someone 73-0..lol. 

There's a lot to be excited for this season. Prob much healthier to think about all the great stuff that could happen. We will cross the disappointment bridge when or if that time comes. 

It's gonna be an interesting year from start to finish. Everything is now set for this team, which we have been waiting to see for the last couple of years. We would prob be a lock for a second or first place finish. If we were in our previous district with the Magnolia schools. But this district is a totally different beast.

Talent and speed come a dime a dozen in 7-5A. Several teams have multiple players with D1 offers. I see the McFalls kid from Tyler high committed to UCLA. Their fans are excited about the new staff and say the kids are buying in. So that could be one more team in the mix for one of the four playoff spots.  

The next 3 weeks are crucial for Lufkin. Any kinks or changes that need to be addressed, have to be taken care of by the start of district. We don't get the luxury of starting off with a couple of cupcake games. We have to walk out those first 2 games with at least 1 win. An 0-2 start wouldn't be the end of the season. But it's hole I'd rather us not have to try and climb out of. Good thing is we won't have to wait long to see how we stack up. 

55 minutes ago, timeout! said:

So does he get in trouble for embellishing the truth? lol

Seem like a good guy. Just got his facts mixed all the way up. Although, I think I would remember if my team beat  someone 73-0..lol. 

LOL. I think embellishing happens the further away some folks get from their actual experiences. The tales get broader and taller. Sometimes true facts are not always as interesting they say. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

LOL. I think embellishing happens the further away some folks get from their actual experiences. The tales get broader and taller. Sometimes true facts are not always as interesting they say. 

I couldn’t stand to listen to them lol had to mute it. My video didn’t match their commentary anyways. All I know is Huntsville will have the most bestest baseball field in the entire state. Don’t believe me, just ask’em 😏

55 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I couldn’t stand to listen to them lol had to mute it. My video didn’t match their commentary anyways. All I know is Huntsville will have the most bestest baseball field in the entire state. Don’t believe me, just ask’em 😏

I sat next to 4 of them last night, could hardly watch the game for all the talk about their new digs. It is a long time coming because they have not had a home football stadium to call their own in over 40 years to my knowledge. Their baseball and softball complex looks awesome, they did  not cut back on certain things the way Lufkin did with their complex. Still, Lufkin's venue is a great place to watch games. The deal with me is always do it top notch the first time, because it will cost you triple down the road when a school comes back to make it the way it should have been the first go around. The new turf practice footbal field was a hit last night too.

27 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Legacy going to find points hard to come by. Lufkin should win big Friday. 

Haven't heard much about how things are going at Legacy. I usually visit Smoaky to get the scoop on the other ETX teams. But their fans are not too active, so guess we'll see Friday.

I won't predict score. Just hope everyone comes out healthy and Lufkin improves from it. This shouldn't be a 25+ carry game for Young. Not a good sign if he getting that many carries during non-district. Need to save those legs for district. Gavin should help with that. 

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I sat next to 4 of them last night, could hardly watch the game for all the talk about their new digs. It is a long time coming because they have not had a home football stadium to call their own in over 40 years to my knowledge. Their baseball and softball complex looks awesome, they did  not cut back on certain things the way Lufkin did with their complex. Still, Lufkin's venue is a great place to watch games. The deal with me is always do it top notch the first time, because it will cost you triple down the road when a school comes back to make it the way it should have been the first go around. The new turf practice footbal field was a hit last night too.

They did go on about it for a while. I also eventually muted the video, sound was bad and off. Plus they didn't even use the names on the roster for Lufkin, even though they claimed to have it. SMH..

Won't fault them too much on being excited for their new complex. 50 years is a long time not have your own stadium. So I can understand the excitement around it. 

Curios to know, what did look cut back on for ours? Been to several games at the basketball arena and it's top notch. Still haven't made it to the ball park yet. But have heard nothing but good things about it.

15 minutes ago, timeout! said:

They did go on about it for a while. I also eventually muted the video, sound was bad and off. Plus they didn't even use the names on the roster for Lufkin, even though they claimed to have it. SMH..

Won't fault them too much on being excited for their new complex. 50 years is a long time not have your own stadium. So I can understand the excitement around it. 

Curios to know, what did look cut back on for ours? Been to several games at the basketball arena and it's top notch. Still haven't made it to the ball park yet. But have heard nothing but good things about it.

The school eliminated or combined some things from the original proposed build of the baseball/softball complex. Downsized some areas different than on original plans to save money or fall within budget. For example the Lufkin Baseball Boosters had to pay for expanded parking area that the school had proposed to downsizing.  As far as the PAC building, the school actually ended up spending more money than was proposed for that facility, about $1.4M more.  I guess you can moved and adjust where Bond money is used for different projects. This is normal and is done all the time.

https://pbksports.com/project/huntsville-isd-baseball-and-softball/

35 minutes ago, timeout! said:

That's a nice looking complex. Did they get a new basketball gym too? 

Melissa is opening up this $35m stadium. 

Abe really looks dated when compared to other stadiums. Especially when you see that tuna can of a press box sitting atop of it. 

The Original 1973 "Tuna Can". LOL

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

Haven't heard much about how things are going at Legacy. I usually visit Smoaky to get the scoop on the other ETX teams. But their fans are not too active, so guess we'll see Friday.

I won't predict score. Just hope everyone comes out healthy and Lufkin improves from it. This shouldn't be a 25+ carry game for Young. Not a good sign if he getting that many carries during non-district. Need to save those legs for district. Gavin should help with that. 

I watched their scrimmage vs Marshall and I don't think they will be able to stop the run or run the ball themselves.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I watched their scrimmage vs Marshall and I don't think they will be able to stop the run or run the ball themselves.

If they can’t stop the run this one will be over fast. They had a difficult time with Young last year. Having two back over 220 will make for a long night. Cant wait. 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Who is trying to make this “rivalry” into something we all know it ain’t? Lol.. 

On 8/20/2023 at 9:08 AM, PurpleNation said:

I think they're going to get overmatched pretty quickly Friday. 

Here is my take on the Legacy game and maybe NAC and AMC too. If the Panthers do not win this game and the other non district games by at least 4 scores. Then those Longview and Forney games will be a big question.

That is just my opinion. Our opponents have not been concerned these past few years about running up the score, and kicking the Panthers when they had the opportunity.  Lufkin's philosophy believes they are great clock managers, and to win by 2 scores is something of an accomplishment for them. I don't know. This cost Lufkin last year against McKinney North, also turning the ball over, helping to blow a 3 score lead. Our backup kids need a chance to have success and score just as the starters do, they should not to be used as clock fodder. Hand off left, hand off right, clock tick tick tick. Punt and play D.  Against overmatched opponents, Longview, Forney and Lancaster keep scoring points until there is no chance to lose the game.

Hey, I'm not worried about this year's kids ability to play, there are other issues afoot that remain a track record. There's an old saying, it hard for a leopard to change its spots. To change one's innate long term nature of coaching is almost impossible. 

We are about to find out if anything is really different starting this week, I got the feeling in the scrimmage that things are different..

On 8/20/2023 at 9:50 AM, PackAttack said:

Here is my take on the Legacy game and maybe NAC and AMC too. If the Panthers do not win this game and the other non district games by at least 4 scores. Then those Longview and Forney games will be a big question.

That is just my opinion. Our opponents have not been concerned these past few years about running up the score, and kicking the Panthers when they had the opportunity.  Lufkin's philosophy believes they are great clock managers, and to win by 2 scores is something of an accomplishment for them. I don't know. This cost Lufkin last year against McKinney North, also turning the ball over, helping to blow a 3 score lead. Our backup kids need a chance to have success and score just as the starters do, they should not to be used as clock fodder. Hand off left, hand off right, clock tick tick tick. Punt and play D.  Against overmatched opponents, Longview, Forney and Lancaster keep scoring points until there is no chance to lose the game.

Hey, I'm not worried about this year's kids ability to play, there are other issues afoot that remain a track record. There's an old saying, it hard for a leopard to change its spots. To change one's innate long term nature of coaching is almost impossible. 

We are about to find out if anything is really different starting this week, I got the feeling in the scrimmage that things are different..

Yep. I agree. Lufkin needs to send a message and set a tone when the opportunity arises. But we won’t. I don’t know how many games I’ve seen us win 31-21 when we could’ve won it 45-7