2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

11 minutes ago, pack98 said:

record sells tend to disagree he sucked. Lol! But you are entitled to your horrible opinion. 😉

Prince sold over 150 million records worldwide,[425][426][427] ranking him among the best-selling music artists of all time.[428] He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2006, and the Rhythm and Blues Music Hall of Fame in 2016.[429][260] In 2016, he was posthumously honored with a Doctor of Humane Letters by the University of Minnesota.[430] He was inducted into the Black Music & Entertainment Walk of Fame in 2022.[431]

He has won seven Grammy Awards, seven Brit Awards, six American Music Awards, four MTV Video Music Awards, an Academy Award (for Best Original Song Score for the film Purple Rain), and a Golden Globe Award.[432] Two of his albums, Purple Rain (1984) and Sign o' the Times(1987), received the Grammy Award for Album of the Year nominations. 1999 (1982), Purple Rainand Sign o' the Times have all been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.[433] At the 28th Grammy Awards, Prince was awarded the President's Merit Award.[433] Prince was also honored with the American Music Award for Achievement and American Music Award of Meritat the American Music Awards of 1990 and American Music Awards of 1995 respectively. At the 2013 Billboard Music Awards, he was honored with the Billboard Icon Award.[434][435][436] In 2019, the 1984 film Purple Rain was added by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[437]

Man I know what the records say lol… Just my opinion. I don’t like his music. I think Elvis is horrible as well as that sicko Michael jackson lol. Each their own. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF YOU NEED SEASON TICKETS FOR Lufkin Panther Sports COME TOMORROW 8/11 FROM 8AM-4PM!!!!  There are lots of tickets available, more than 1000 available.

YOU CAN ALSO PURCHASE ONLINE 👇
https://lufkinisd.hometownticketing.com/embed/event/370/seating?es=222dqs81c83et7fofgrb80l3ug&single=0

FB_IMG_1691707751741.jpg

There are over 1000 season tickets available, a few hundred did not renew this year. Not winning,  not making the playoffs two years in a row, poor playoff record all add up to decline in season ticket sales. I guess the administration didn't realize what happens when your biggest money making sport on campus stops making or getting playoff wins. This has been slowly happening the past 3 -4 years. Now, unless this group starts winning big, the stadium home games stands will be half full.

Football fans support spend their money on a winner, not the Mama's and Daddy's and grandparents that show up to watch their kid play, or march in the band, or high kick in the drill team. Those are the people buying season tickets, not so much the real football fans.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

There are over 1000 season tickets available, a few hundred did not renew this year. Not winning,  not making the playoffs two years in a row, poor playoff record all add up to decline in season ticket sales. I guess the administration didn't realize what happens when your biggest money making sport on campus stops making or getting playoff wins. This has been slowly happening the past 3 -4 years. Now, unless this group starts winning big, the stadium home games stands will be half full.

Football fans support spend their money on a winner, not the Mama's and Daddy's and grandparents that show up to watch their kid play, or march in the band, or high kick in the drill team. Those are the people buying season tickets, not so much the real football fans.

Just a sign of the times. Expectation have fallen so far for this program. Coaching staff went from talking about making runs at a state title, to winning a district championship, and now just trying to make the playoffs. This during an era of 4 teams getting in. 

49 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Just a sign of the times. Expectation have fallen so far for this program. Coaching staff went from talking about making runs at a state title, to winning a district championship, and now just trying to make the playoffs. This during an era of 4 teams getting in. 

I remember John Outlae telling us back in 2006 or so that Lufkin Footbal made over $200K - $250K in playoff revenue with those 2001, 2004 and 2005 teams in the playoffs. Can you imagine what it would be for 5A or 6A teams today  making those same runs.

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Yep. I’m glad they can’t sell them. It’s the least that the school district deserves for the mess that has come of our football program. Hate it for the kids but what did you expect. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Yep. I’m glad they can’t sell them. It’s the least that the school district deserves for the mess that has come of our football program. Hate it for the kids but what did you expect. 

True, however I hate for people not to buy tickets because I believe this team and next year too, are going to be fun to watch and are going to win some big games. If I'm wrong, then I'll admit it here.  The lack of success won't be for the lack of talent.  People won't be able to lean on that wagon wheel for at least the next 2 or 3 years. Fans can probably pick up some prime season seats right now.

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

True, however I hate for people not to buy tickets because I believe this team and next year too, are going to be fun to watch and are going to win some big games. If I'm wrong, then I'll admit it here.  The lack of success won't be for the lack of talent.  People won't be able to lean on that wagon wheel for at least the next 2 or 3 years. Fans can probably pick up some prime season seats right now.

The season tickets I have were given to me by a guy that’s had them for many many years. I won’t use them. I think I may have found someone that will use them though. I’ll be streaming the games on the outdoor kitchen/patio area this year like I done last year. I’ve come to find that much more enjoyable lol 

We are a week away from the 2023 season scrimmage with Huntsville at ABE. Doesn't look like the weather is going to cool off anytime before Labor Day. Next Friday is predicted to be 104 degrees, it was still 101 on my back porch last night at 8 PM. I haven't made a habit of going outside and just sitting in this heat for 2 or 3 hours. I work in it, sweat in it, wear artic gear to stay cooler. To play football in it is something entirely different, I do remember those days but never played it on hot artificial grass. 

Here's to cooler weather for the sake of everyone,it's going to be an uncomfortable start to a football season. At least weather-wise.

The kids all look really good without the pads on, of course you can't tell much, however there is some really good skilled talent on this team.  Keep your eye on that defense, there are many kids that can get after it ,and there's depth on that side of the ball. 

Have a couple of pretty good kickers too.

QBs are connecting well with the WRs, as I said without pads.  The line play will be better evaluated next week or in the scrimmage.  The D line or front 7 in general are going to be solid, there is reserved optimism for the OL.  Hopefully some others who have observed can chime in on their thought. PurplrNation started this two years ago, he has been spot on so far, and I believe he is right on target again this year. This is going to be a fun and talented group of Lufkin kids to watch play. 

I won’t be able to make it out till the scrimmage. Heard numbers were good for the most part this summer. I guess pads go on today so we will start to learn who looks like a football player and who is a football player. The interview the other day Young looked skinny to me but I know he isn’t. Amazing how someone can carry weight like that. TJ seemed ready to go. Looking forward to seeing this receivers group. 

6 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I won’t be able to make it out till the scrimmage. Heard numbers were good for the most part this summer. I guess pads go on today so we will start to learn who looks like a football player and who is a football player. The interview the other day Young looked skinny to me but I know he isn’t. Amazing how someone can carry weight like that. TJ seemed ready to go. Looking forward to seeing this receivers group. 

Young is going to have a big season. Gavin is going to be a problem too. Only a matter of time before he starts picking up P5 offers.

Oh trust me. I know Young is a problem. Haha. Spotted it his sophomore year he would be special. I don’t think many people on this planet are like him. I can’t wait to watch Gavin play the H back. Give a change of pace to Young. I really hope they use those two wisely. Would be a nasty run game. If Gavin stays in the pass protect it might give Young a chance to play a bigger role in the pass game and that will be exciting. 

9 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Young is going to have a big season. Gavin is going to be a problem too. Only a matter of time before he starts picking up P5 offers.

You know all the focus is on Taylor Tatum in Longview, and deserving so, he has the numbers and scouting credentials. Young IMO is every bit as good as Tatum. The difference has been line play and how they have been used in the respective system they play. Tatum has been promoted and on the radar screen a little longer than Young. People took notice of Kedren last year, Notre Dame took notice too. Both of these young men will be successful moving forward in their college careers. 

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

You know all the focus is on Taylor Tatum in Longview, and deserving so, he has the numbers and scouting credentials. Young IMO is every bit as good as Tatum. The difference has been line play and how they have been used in the respective system they play. Tatum has been promoted and on the radar screen a little longer than Young. People took notice of Kedren last year, Notre Dame took notice too. Both of these young men will be successful moving forward in their college careers. 

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see them both taking handoffs next fall and one day in the NFL. I think it’s really exciting to have two players of that level at the same position in the same district. 

The Lufkin Panthers will spend the season trying to beat the competition in hopes of returning to the postseason.

One of the focuses for the first week of the season was primarily on beating the East Texas heat. With temperatures in the triple digits and reaching as high as 105 degrees, Lufkin was taking all precautions in keeping an eye on the student-athletes preparing for the season opener.

Lufkin head coach Todd Quick wouldn’t say it was the hottest he can remember but it was something that had to be recognized.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-battling-heat-in-workouts/article_ca4ce9ab-20bc-51ea-92a6-958b60388a83.html

“It’s hard to remember the heat,” Quick said. “It’s hot every year so you have to be ready for it.”

Several safety features were being emphasized in the August workouts with both staff and trainers on hand.

Hydration was among the first points of emphasis.

“We’ve got about 18 student-trainers that are out there,” Quick said. “At any point and any time, a kid can get a drink of water. We’ve got student-trainers with every position group. We try to educate the kids on what they have to do outside of practice. If you’re just drinking water at practice, then you’re in trouble. You have to do it all day long.”

In addition to those efforts, he said the practice schedule had to be done with the safety of the players in mind.

“You’ve got to be really conscious about it,” Quick said. “You’ve got to follow up a high-intensity drill with a low-intensity one. You can’t just go a straight hour going high intensity.”

Another key aspect was the voluntary summer workouts that have players better prepared for the final workouts of the season.

“Having them here in the summer is good because we’re working out for an hour and a half to two hours four days a week,” Quick said. “That only works for the kids who are showing up. Fortunately we had a good percentage of guys that were here. You can see the difference between the guys that did that and are flying around as opposed to the low percentage who weren’t here in the summer.”

Quick said there was an emphasis on getting better as a team while working out in the heat that affects every team in the state.

“You don’t want to just get through it,” Quick said. “You want to get something out of it.”

The Panthers have another week of practice before scrimmaging Huntsville Aug. 18. The season opener is set for Aug. 25 when the Panthers host Tyler Legacy.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Here are ALL the Season tickets left this morning. Anything you want on the Home side in Sections A and B. More available a little higher up in Sections C and D .  Scroll on the Abe Martin seating chart.

https://lufkinisd.hometownticketing.com/embed/event/370/seating?es=222dqs81c83et7fofgrb80l3ug&single=0

Tried to watch a bit today. Too hot to sit there and burn up compressor on truck in this heat to watch long. Just say, there is a lot of positives to see. The majority of those kids are in great shape.  It's just such a talented district this year. We've been talking about Longview, Lancaster and Forney, Tyler High and North Mesquite are there too.  NM, Lancaster, Forney and Longview all have 6A numbers now, based on last 2022 realignment numbers. Depends on how much the ceiling increases.  Lufkin has great talent this year, real tough non district and district ahead. Survival of the fittest.

7 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Are there any former or current HS, college or pro players he reminds you of on the offensive side of the ball? I been trying to picture how he can be utilized in is new position. 

39 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Tried to watch a bit today. Too hot to sit there and burn up compressor on truck in this heat to watch long. Just say, there is a lot of positives to see. The majority of those kids are in great shape.  It's just such a talented district this year. We've been talking about Longview, Lancaster and Forney, Tyler High and North Mesquite are there too.  NM, Lancaster, Forney and Longview all have 6A numbers now, based on last 2022 realignment numbers. Depends on how much the ceiling increases.  Lufkin has great talent this year, real tough non district and district ahead. Survival of the fittest.

I think thats just the reality we are in now. It was like that in our old district. Lufkin will always be behind when it comes to numbers vs those schools in DWF and GHA.Not Those places are growing and nothing much here going on. We just have to buckle up and go knock the snot out of somebody. I think the current group should be fine for a few years talent wise. Will be interesting where go during realignment next year. I'm not gonna even try to guess. Never thought I would see the day we would be in a Dallas district.