2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

The only comparison I can see with this common opponent matchup, is we beat Barbers Hill 32-14 at Abe when they had #2 Morton, and the Panthers did not have WR Preston, LB Hooper and QB Johnson was injured again. WR Coutee had to play QB again.

PAM beats BH 20-17 at PAM. BH did not have #2 Morton and two other starters. Matchups are everything.

Had I known Morton was out I would have definitely favored PAM. BH goes as Morton goes and even though Ball won. That has to be somewhat of a red flag. BU is god awful. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Had I known Morton was out I would have definitely favored PAM. BH goes as Morton goes and even though Ball won. That has to be somewhat of a red flag. BU is good awful. 

BH has been like us this year, they have not played with their full complement of starters this year. The #13 that played last night for BH wasn't even on the roster, brought up from JV. He caught the TD at beginning of 2nd half. 

Lufkin has had the means and depth to overcome some player losses. Lets hope that continues.

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

BH has been like us this year, they have not played with their full complement of starters this year. The #13 that played last night for BH wasn't even on the roster, brought up from JV. He caught the TD at beginning of 2nd half. 

Lufkin has had the means and depth to overcome some player losses. Lets hope that continues.

I agree Lufkin is fortunate enough to have guys step in and play well. I'm more convinced then ever we're gonna beat Ball by several scores. 

I watch a little of the game while watching BH-PAM, of course it's hard to tell much.  Ball doesn't play as well on the road, BU really played them even early on into the 2nd quarter.   United gave Ball a short field on two fumbles on the BU 30 and 25, Ball also had another INT in the 1st half and  fumble recovery to end the half.   BU had 4 TO in the 1st half.  BU did INT Ball twice in the game.  Three BU TOs led to 21 points.  The 2nd half was pretty much a stalemate.  BU lost their QB and top two RBs to ankle injuries. Some Ball tackles are like they are wrestling a steer.  Not a legal tackle anymore.

PN you mention that BH goes as #2 Morton?, well BALL goes as #0 William's goes. He plays both sides, you take him out of the mix then Ball is just another football team IMO. He ran for a TD, Caught a TD and had an INT.  He returns kicks too. 

https://www.12newsnow.com/video/sports/high-school/hs-football/galveston-ball-high-school-beats-beaumont-united-28-7/502-1a262616-fbd0-46ad-8edc-28b4e34f0919

Question: what percentage would you guys give your squad as far as running the ball on West Brook?

47 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Question: what percentage would you guys give your squad as far as running the ball on West Brook?

Percentage?? Lufkin ran well against BWB over 200 + yards. BWB has some young talent on O that look like they can run the ball too. You better tackle well, they don't go down easy. Their D will get after you, they don't quit.

Our O is about 60/40 run /pass any opponent we play.

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Percentage?? Lufkin ran well against BWB over 200 + yards. BWB has some young talent on O that look like they can run the ball too. You better tackle well, they don't go down easy. Their D will get after you, they don't quit.

Our O is about 60/40 run /pass any opponent we play.

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, timeout! said:

Heres a link for anyone wanting to watch the Lufkin vs BWB game from last week. 

Didn't realize just how empty our side was. I knew it wasn't much, but seeing it on camera now is an eye opener.

Thank you. 

Just now, timeout! said:

No problem. Looking forward to the drive down to PAT in a couple of weeks. Does the stadium still charge to park? I remember paying $5 to park last time we played down there. 

Free parking been going on for years here. 

4 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Thanks. This was around 2006 I believe. Unless me and my friends got hustled. 😂

Oh that was 05. Think we stopped that after one of the hurricane years, I forget which one. 

Just now, timeout! said:

It was Dez Bryant junior or senior year. Is the stadium in the same location?

Yep same location. 

35 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Aledo is the only team that concerns me on this list. Not saying those other teams can't beat us. Just really confident in our guys. 

Same. I’d love to see how Lufkin would match up with them though. The college station schools concern me just off of how well coached they usually are. I guess we would technically see one of them in round 2 right? 

42 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Aledo is the only team that concerns me on this list. Not saying those other teams can't beat us. Just really confident in our guys. 

I always look at the percentage of teams we won't see until State or team's who could knock each other off before seeing them in later rounds. The district that pops out is getting by 12-5A DI. That 2nd round game is most important.

I want to talk a little bit about Coutee at QB. We are so fortunate to have him, the Panthers would not be where they are at 5-1 this point of the season without him.  With Johnson not able to shake the injury bug, Coutee has done a yeoman's job stepping into a tough roll.

Let's not forget, he is a WR playing QB, everything has been managed very well for him to be as successful to this point, even more so with Preston out. With some very tough and important games ahead, it's important to realize that the Lufkin defensive play, the potent running game and really good special teams play has helped the game be less complicated for Coutee.  He is not a typical QB, he has managed, and coaches have managed things well up to this point of the season. The off week should allow him to get even more comfortable in the QB  roll, because now, we know this is his place the rest of the way.  For him it is more important than ever that the WRs run their routes correctly, then there should be less issues for him. There have been a couple times that has not happened that have resulted in a couple INTs.  As long as the three components above (defense, running game, special teams) keep operating at a high level, Coutee will not need to carry the Pack offense with the passing game.  Preston's return will help him a lot, and having two other dynamic WRs in Taylor and Hooper, really make it less complicated for him, he just needs to get the ball in their hands and let them go.  Coutee has not been forced to pass much, not sure how that would look if we had to do more of that in our offense. Do you feel there are limitations if that has to happen??  I guess we will find out and cross that bridge when they get there, if it happens at all.

Do not know the extensiveness of Johnson's surgery, it would be good if he could can return by the Ball game and possible be there in a back up roll.