2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Really hard to believe it's been 8 weeks since our scrimmage with Huntsville, I think seasons go by for me quicker than ever now.  it's a little scary in some respects how time flies by us. 

Just a little comparison to last year.  Lufkin is averaging 36 ppg currently, last year the Panthers averaged 27.5 ppg.  Lufkin D is giving up 10.5 ppg through 6 games, last year the Panther D allowed 25.8 ppg.  What a difference a year makes, outscoring opponents by 1.7 pts and going 5-5 in 2023, and currently outscoring folks 26 ppg and standing at 5-1 in 2024.

The Panthers are more than making up the difference in rushing numbers by Kedren Young who at this point of the 2023 season had 727 yards, in 2024 Waters has 629 yards. A big difference is Coutee has 176 yards rushing, while Hammond had -1 yards at this point of the season.    Phillips has added 229 yards rushing and valuable blocking.

Lufkin is averaging 217 ypg rushing this year while the Pack D is only giving up 133 ypg.   The Panthers are avg 148 ypg passing and the D is allowing 124 per game, with 7 interceptions.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Really hard to believe it's been 8 weeks since our scrimmage with Huntsville, I think seasons go by for me quicker than ever now.  it's a little scary in some respects how time flies by us. 

Just a little comparison to last year.  Lufkin is averaging 36 ppg currently, last year the Panthers averaged 27.5 ppg.  Lufkin D is giving up 10.5 ppg through 6 games, last year the Panther D allowed 25.8 ppg.  What a difference a year makes, outscoring opponents by 1,7 pts and going 5-5 in 2023, and currently outscoring folks 26 ppg and standing at 5-1 in 2024.

The Panthers are more than making up the difference in rushing numbers by Kedren Young who at this point of the 2023 season had 727 yards, in 2024 Waters has 629 yards. A big difference is Coutee has 176 yards rushing, while Hammond had -1 yards at this point of the season.    Phillips has added 229 yards rushing and valuable blocking.

Lufkin is averaging 217 ypg rushing this year while the Pack D is only giving up 133 ypg.   The Panthers are avg 148 ypg passing and the D is allowing 124 per game, with 7 interceptions.

Waters, Phillips and Coutee have filled in nicely. The biggest of those may be Philips blocking to aid the O-line. Who have also been solid this year. I would like to see them throw a few more bones Chin way. I think he is a decent RB and can contribute other than just mostly blocking when he goes in. It would also help with the wear and tear on Waters and Phillips. 

Lots of mid season highlights, Elijah Alexander has been on of them. He is the third leading tackler on the team through 6 games with 31, 7 for losses, a sack and 3 fumble recoveries..

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/23624391/67081bd7e12fe9e3a6fd5658

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Just a little comparison to last year.  Lufkin is averaging 36 ppg currently, last year the Panthers averaged 27.5 ppg.  Lufkin D is giving up 10.5 ppg through 6 games, last year the Panther D allowed 25.8 ppg.  What a difference a year makes, outscoring opponents by 1,7 pts and going 5-5 in 2023, and currently outscoring folks 26 ppg and standing at 5-1 in 2024.

You can never replace a Kedren Young but I was trying to tell everyone that ultimately it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Lufkin would be more than capable with RB by committee. The fact that you can't key on one player within the offense is what makes this offense dangerous.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I think Coutee may have been credited with 1 of Kevo's interceptions during the Longview game Kevo threw that last INT.

Thanks. Will correct it. I have another stat source that helps correct some of the little things. 

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Link to watch PAM and BH on Texan Live:

https://www.texanlive.com/video/66fd5ca54e9532000165f436

3-1 goes to 4-1 tonight. Go Titans. 

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

What happened to him? That sucks. I’d like to see how PAM handles him 

Have no idea what happen, missing their other #1 WR too. Too bad we can't see them at their best on O.

4-1. We have questions but it aint about BH per the usual. 

And Memorial had kids out too. L was handed regardless. On to Weak Brooke. My bad, WB. 

Beaumont West Brook  26  Baytown Sterling  9

PAM 20  Barbers Hill  17

Galveston Ball 28  Beaumont United 7

The announcer for the BH-PAM game kept saying that game was for sole possession of third place and the loser would be in 4th.  That was not accurate.  West Brook is now 1-1 in district and Barbers Hill is 1-2 which technically puts BWB in 4th place for now.

Other scores: 

Huntsville  33  Montgomery  18

Longview  41  Forney  14

Hallsville  42   Nacogdoches  14

Tyler  45  Cleburne  22  

10 hours ago, timeout! said:

Horrible way to lost that game. BH will be ok when they get some of their guys back.

Longview running all over Forney tonight. Starting running back has 275 rushing yards with 9minutes left. 

Tough place to be when your out of time outs and your QB loses his helmet with 9 seconds left.  Poor backup QBs head was spinning. That was a tough loss when BH had out played PAM most of the 2nd half.

Knew Longview would torch Forney, they and Lancaster are not the teams they had been these two previous years.  Longview will win that district and go two or three rounds with no problem at all.   They are built that way and have coaching to get them in the right places to make it 2 or 3 round or more every year. If Quick is still the coach next year, the Lobos will probably rip us a new one when we play in Longview.  Fun Fun Fun till Daddy took the T Bird Away!

The only comparison I can see with this common opponent matchup, is we beat Barbers Hill 32-14 at Abe when they had #2 Morton, and the Panthers did not have WR Preston, LB Hooper and QB Johnson was injured again. WR Coutee had to play QB again.

PAM beats BH 20-17 at PAM. BH did not have #2 Morton and two other starters. Matchups are everything.