2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Just now, LufkinPack said:

Defensively: 

2004 allowed 13.6 ppg during regular season. Allowed 20.6 ppg during the playoff run. 

2005 allowed 10 ppg during regular season. Allowed 27 ppg during the playoff run. 

2006 allowed 11 ppg during regular season. Allowed 31 ppg during the two playoffs games

Thanks, you beat me to it.   Very comparable numbers so far this year.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Thanks, you beat me to it.   Very comparable numbers so far this year.

Defense is everything PN said it would be. I had my doubts, he knows what he’s talking about. I just would like the offense to be a little better at finishing drives off and I’d be a lot more confident. Those college station schools as early as the 2nd round scare me. 

Speaking of PN, is his son ok? I was in and out last night, so didn’t notice if he ever came back into the game or not. 

5 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Defense is everything PN said it would be. I had my doubts, he knows what he’s talking about. I just would like the offense to be a little better at finishing drives off and I’d be a lot more confident. Those college station schools as early as the 2nd round scare me. 

Speaking of PN, is his son ok? I was in and out last night, so didn’t notice if he ever came back into the game or not. 

Booker had is pads off the second half, he walked around a bit on the sidelines and sat on the bench too.  Think PN said he twisted his back, it would be better for him to fill us in on his status.

You know Preston returning at some point will again make this offense multifaceted again. It helps Coutee tremendously, and that is not taking away anything from Hooper or Taylor who are extremely talent. it also makes it better for them too.   Nichols had a catch last week, they targeted him once last night but wasn't on the same page with Coutee and it almost cost us an INT. He became just a decoy and blocker after that.  He is a tall kid, but anyway that's just the way it goes, if you can produce when you get your chances, then you get the ball more, if you don't then no.

Preston adds that tall dimension to the WR corps, and difficultly with opposing defenses matching up to all three.

I also am misunderstanding the PAM hype. They narrowly beat Dekaney to start the year. Bad team. (Gave up 17 the most Dekaney has scored other than one game against an atrocious Aldine team) Then barely beat legacy school of sports, which has lost to some small schools or barely beaten other small schools. So imo, nothing to brag over. (Gave up 36 in doing so). Then another close game that they lost against Hightower. Now you can argue that was a good game but again, gave up 40 points in a loss. (Hightower has played a very weak schedule so they don’t impress me. Only decent teams on it, they barely snuck out a win.) Then PAM blows out cleburne, which is a horrendous team. Then they beat United handily even though they struggled for a half with them. I mean, what have they done that concerns anybody? They always have athletes and speed. That’s nothing new. I understand they have the ability to do some damage but IMO they haven’t been all that impressive thus far. Obviously matchups are a thing, but you mean to tell me just about everybody has matched up well with them? Lol.. Other than two horrible football teams? Idk man. Ball looks more concerning to me. At least they beat the brakes off of everybody lol PAM literally had a chance last night to put some doubts to rest, but got beat again. Badly. 

To answer that question frankly,  PAM has the dominate athletes, they had a ton return on the D side of the ball.  There is something there, maybe it's discipline, D coaching or how they react when challenged and play from behind. Don't think they are built for that. They have not played up to their ranked potential to this point, that was glaring last night. Then again if you do not do something to match that 5* stud Ball has on that team. The Williams guy is returning kicks for TDs, INT for TDs and catching TDs as WR and headed to play at UT.  Yes PAM lost a close game at 6A Hightower, they soundly beat the other bad teams, they haven't beat anyone good?,  Dekaney is 1-4, United and Cleburne are a combined 2-9. School of Minds is 3-3 playing private church/ home schooled teams. 

The PAM QB was suspect coming into season, I think he is injured right now. PAM was having trouble passing the ball when he was healthy.

PAM plays BH in a couple weeks, we will see if they show up then. IMO Galveston Ball is legit and it's hard to beat them at their place. Soderquist will need to figure out something when we play them to attempt to slow down Williams. I wouldn't kick to him at all, double cover him and don't throw his way. We have the kids on offense, defense and kicker to counter him.

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

To answer that question frankly, is PAM has the dominate athletes, they had a ton return on the D side of the ball.  There is something there, maybe it's discipline, D coaching or how they react when challenged and play from behind. Don't think they are built for that. They have not played up to their ranked potential to this point, that was glaring last night. Then again if you do not do something to match that 5* stud Ball has on that team. The Williams guy is returning kicks for TDs, INT for TDs and catching TDs as WR and headed to play at UT.  Yes PAM lost a close game at 6A Hightower, they soundly beat the other bad teams, they haven't beat anyone good?,  Dekaney is 1-4, United and Cleburne are a combined 2-9. School of Minds is 3-3 playing private church/ home schooled teams. 

The PAM QB was suspect coming into season, I think he is injured right now. PAM was having trouble passing the ball when he was healthy.

PAM plays BH in a couple weeks, we will see if they show up then.

Just not sold. We’ll see how the BH game goes. 

FYI -  In 2023 Jonah Williams was the 5A District 9 Defensive MVP after recording 58 tackles (four for loss), four picks and four special teams touchdowns.

He also caught for 474 yards and eight touchdowns, scored two rushing touchdowns on two carries and averaged more than 100 all-purpose yards per game.

So far in 2024 through 6 games, he has 4 rushing TD,  2 INT, caused 1 fumble, 5 TD receptions and returned two KO for TD. He leads the team in TD with 11.  

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Defensively: 

2004 allowed 13.6 ppg during regular season. Allowed 20.6 ppg during the playoff run. 

2005 allowed 10 ppg during regular season. Allowed 27 ppg during the playoff run. 

2006 allowed 11 ppg during regular season. Allowed 31 ppg during the two playoffs games. 

It's been a while. Statistically they're among some of the best we've had and in a era where it's more offensive friendly. 

Did a Lufkin players get sick and leave by ambulance last night?  Someone posted on LPS Facebook and someone else ask after they read the statement.  I did not see anyone from Lufkin leave in an ambulance last night, so might need some clarification.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Booker had is pads off the second half, he walked around a bit on the sidelines and sat on the bench too.  Think PN said he twisted his back, it would be better for him to fill us in on his status.

He's gonna be ok and won't miss any time. He just took a hard shot from an offensive lineman last night at the same time his teammate hit him in the back trying to make the tackle. So he basically got crunched between the two. I knew he was gonna be down when it happened Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

3 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I have a lot of respect for A&M Consolidated. But I'm not too concerned about them. If we get to the point down the line. We seem to match up well with them whenever we play. This goes back to that crazy game that went into several overtimes at their place. Not sure what College Station has this year. 

I just want to see us continue to improve each week. Keep adding a few wrinkles to the offense and mainly stay healthy over the next several weeks. I cringed a bit when I saw Coutee running designed Qb keeper on one play or it may have been busted. But hit took some big hits late in the game on some RPO plays. I hate seeing our starting Qb taking unnecessary hits late in a game that's already decided. We need him healthy for the remainder of the season. 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

To answer that question frankly,  PAM has the dominate athletes, they had a ton return on the D side of the ball.  There is something there, maybe it's discipline, D coaching or how they react when challenged and play from behind. Don't think they are built for that. They have not played up to their ranked potential to this point, that was glaring last night. Then again if you do not do something to match that 5* stud Ball has on that team. The Williams guy is returning kicks for TDs, INT for TDs and catching TDs as WR and headed to play at UT.  Yes PAM lost a close game at 6A Hightower, they soundly beat the other bad teams, they haven't beat anyone good?,  Dekaney is 1-4, United and Cleburne are a combined 2-9. School of Minds is 3-3 playing private church/ home schooled teams. 

PAM plays BH in a couple weeks, we will see if they show up then. IMO Galveston Ball is legit and it's hard to beat them at their place. Soderquist will need to figure out something when we play them to attempt to slow down Williams. I wouldn't kick to him at all, double cover him and don't throw his way. We have the kids on offense, defense and kicker to counter him.

Why are alot of ppl saying our QB1 hurt/injured? He's not. He had trouble passing in a couple games cause he sails passes, last night Ball High was just that good. We play BH next week, not a couple weeks. Not our fault the teams we've previously beaten can't win afterwards. Some info you probably came about the QB probably came from a certain website from a certain poster lol. Don't read into it, his cousin is the backup QB if things go bad, that's why IMO.  Discipline talk I take to be as in our secondary not using fundamentals last night?? If it is I totally agree. 

We'll see how it goes versus BH down here in PA next week. 

I think you're on SETX Sports, I put the same things I post on all the sites I'm on just to be transparent, might switch up words here and there depends on how strict the site is. It's all good. Good win versus WB last night, I hope we dogwalk them after we play BH. 

7 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Why are alot of ppl saying our QB1 hurt? He's not. He had trouble passing in a couple games cause he sails passes, last night Ball High was just that good. We play BH next week, not a couple weeks. Not our fault the teams we've previously beaten can't win afterwards. Some info you probably came about the QB probably came from a certain website from a certain poster lol. Don't read into it, his cousin is the backup QB if things go bad, that's why IMO.  Discipline talk I take to be as in our secondary not using fundamentals last night?? If it is I totally agree. 

I think you're on SETX Sports, I put the same things I post on all the sites I'm on just to be transparent, might switch up words here and there depends on how strict the site is. It's all good. Good win versus WB last night, I hope we dogwalk them after we play BH. 

Im not counting you guys out. The PAM defense is still a concern for me when we go down there. If you noticed in a previous post a few days ago I mentioned if they're locked in. It's about being consistent for them on that side. They have all the pieces you need. But also they need the offense to help them out by sustaining drives and shortening the game. The talent is there.

Just now, PurpleNation said:

Im not counting you guys out. The PAM defense is still a concern for me when we go down there. If you noticed in a previous post a few days ago I mentioned if they're locked in. It's about being consistent for them on that side. They have all the pieces you need. But also they need the offense to help them out by sustaining drives and shortening the game. The talent is there.

I agree. 100% 

I think 1-seed is out of Ball High and Lufkin now. 

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Why are alot of ppl saying our QB1 hurt/injured? He's not. He had trouble passing in a couple games cause he sails passes, last night Ball High was just that good. We play BH next week, not a couple weeks. Not our fault the teams we've previously beaten can't win afterwards. Some info you probably came about the QB probably came from a certain website from a certain poster lol. Don't read into it, his cousin is the backup QB if things go bad, that's why IMO.  Discipline talk I take to be as in our secondary not using fundamentals last night?? If it is I totally agree. 

Someone on the SETX site mention he was hurt. No one ever confirmed it or said diffent so I thought maybe you guys had trouble last night because you had a backup QB.  Sorry about that. Really did not expect that type game last night. I just knew PAM was going to handle that game going in. 

25 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Someone on the SETX site mention he was hurt. No one ever confirmed it or said diffent so I thought maybe you guys had trouble last night because you had a backup QB.  Sorry about that. Really did not expect that type game last night. I just knew PAM was going to handle that game going in. 

Nah he's fine. We just don't respond to that certain poster normally. Ball High is legit. It was just a good old-fashioned mule kicking, nothing more nothing less. 🤷🏾‍♂️

PAM D gave up 41 points and 488 yards of offense to Galveston Ball.   Ball could be one of teams that make one of those unexpected playoff runs.  Memorial is a very good team, in fact the best team Ball has played on their schedule, so far.

People think Barbers Hill will test them, I'm not sure they are any more capable than PAM after watching them against Lufkin.   Everyone gets their open weeks out of the way after this week.    Lufkin, PAM and Ball still have two huge games ahead of them.  Barbers Hill at PAM will be big because a pre season contender will come out of that game with 2 losses in district.  Things are just starting to get really good.  Still think Beaumont United and Baytown Sterling are not going to contend.  Only West Brook has a slim chance of being a spoiler.  The important game of playoff positioning these next 4 games.