2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

From Lufkin Daily News:

On paper, tonight’s 9-5A DI opener for Lufkin and Barbers Hill looks to be an up-tempo, high scoring-game.

Barbers Hill is the district leader in yards and points per game through non-district play and Lufkin has averaged 51 points per game on its three-game winning streak.

Both teams have plenty of weapons with a pair of sophomores leading Barbers Hill, along with senior QB Zeke Cantu.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/pack-geared-up-for-high-flying-eagles/article_9029b2f2-175e-57c0-8bcb-acdac3d75ae0.html

Receiver Kaegan Morton leads the team with 17 catches and seven scores and RB Gabe Howard has 299 yards rushing and three scores. Cantu has 12 touchdowns and more than 600 yards passing through four games.

The Eagles are averaging 411 yards per game, with 997 yards rushing and 647 through the air. The Eagles have scored 172 points, an average of 43 per game.

Lufkin has running back Kenneth Waters, who leads the district with 409 yards on the ground, and WR/RB Ke’Vondrick Taylor, who has six TDs on the season.

The Panthers will also play both Quincy Coutee and Javion Johnson at quarterback and Coutee will see time at receiver.

“We’re going to play both this week and both can do some things really well,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Panthers continued to force turnovers with Kenneth Timmons getting his second interception of the year and Keshawn Waters getting a fumble recovery.

Senior defensive tackle Zion Williams had his best game of the seven with seven tackles, two for losses, and two quarterback pressures.

“Even when he wasn’t making plays last week he was getting doubled at the line, and they’ll have to do the same thing this week,” Quick said. “They’re really good on the offensive line so those guys really have to keep people on them.

“On the combo block the defensive linemen, they can’t come off and block a linebacker. We have to make them stay two on us and let our linebackers run. Once they do come off we have to make plays.”

The Panthers also had a pair of safeties last week with Ross Byrd getting to Tyler QB Caden Granberry in the end zone late in the game and Keandre Hooper blocking a punt out of the end zone for a safety in the first quarter.

“Good teams find a way to get the ball and be around the ball,” Quick said. “Good things happen and we talked about Eli (defensive tackle Alexander) and he’s got a lot of fumbles this year. Well there’s a reason, because the ball is usually close to the person fumbling it and he’s always around the ball.”

The Panthers lead the district in fewest points allowed with 46 and have the most takeaways with 12.

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Hey PN, where did the hair thing come up with Barbers Hill?  Not very familiar with Barbers Hill ISD news.

They kid is currently trying to get back in Barbers Hill. It was actually in my news feed yesterday. Apparently you can have dreads but only a certain length. It's a silly rule. If they were a private school it be different. I guess he thought I never heard of BH until this year and I simply let him know. I know exactly what and who your school is. 

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I brought up how Barbers Hill doesn't let kids where dreads to school and the one BH fan did not like that. Called me a race baiter lol even though I'm multi racial myself. That school district is just a little different. Our players have been told by a coach they will probably here some derogatory comments made by the BH players tonight outside of earshot from the refs. Can't say that I'm surprised. That school and fanbase just gives off that vibe. I'll ask my son after the game if he heard anything crazy. If not I will comeback and apologize to the BH fan base. They also think the JV score will mean something tonight. I have a feeling we're gonna drill these guys tonight.

Yea, that’s why i don’t visit and post on that site as much now. I stick to here, 6A forum and the craziness that is smoaky lol. 

Just now, Pack007 said:

Yea, that’s why i don’t visit and post on that site as much now. I stick to here, 6A forum and the craziness that is smoaky lol. 

I probably shouldn't have brought it up lol. It's football season and I don't like to mix politics with sports. Although how a kid wears his hair shouldn't be political but unfortunately that's not the world we live in. 

10 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, they just said the kid left the district because of it. Horrible stuff 

Just saying my hair in HS covered my ears down to my shirt collar and past eyebrows if you didn't keep combed.  Add in my mutton chop sideburns down to my chin line, I couldn't attend Barbers Hill today. Don't have any of that problem today. LOL

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just saying my hair in HS covered my ears down to my shirt collar and past eyebrows if you didn't keep combed.  Add in my mutton chop sideburns down to my chin line, I couldn't attend Barbers Hill today. Don't have any of that problem today. LOL

Ahh you ain’t that old PA. You gotta be about 59 and holding 😃

FYI - Barbers Hill leads the district in both yards and points per game, while Lufkin boasts an impressive average of 51 points over a three-game winning streak. The Eagles, spearheaded by senior QB Zeke Cantu, have a balanced offensive attack featuring top receivers and rushing attacks, while Lufkin counters with strong performers like Kenneth Waters and versatile athletes in Coutee and Johnson  at quarterback. Defensively, Lufkin has excelled in forcing 12 turnovers, leading the district in takeaways and points allowed 46.

By the Numbers

• Barbers Hill averages 43 points per game with 172 points scored this season.
  • Lufkin has allowed just 46 points total, leading the district in fewest points allowed while scoring 155.
  • Barbers Hill has gained 997 rushing yards and 647 passing yards for an average of 411 yards per game.
  • Kenneth Waters leads the district with 409 rushing yards for Lufkin.

Yes, But

Despite the offensive firepower, both teams have shown the ability to capitalize on defensive opportunities, indicating that turnovers could be decisive in the game's outcome. Lufkin’s defensive stats suggest they could pose challenges to Barbers Hill’s offense, as they lead in takeaways.

State of Play

• Lufkin enters the game with a strong defensive showing, forcing 12 turnovers this season.
  • Barbers Hill's offense is performing at an elite level, showcasing a balanced field game with both strong rushing and passing stats.

What's Next

The outcome of this game could have significant implications for district standings and playoff positioning, setting the tone for the remainder of the season for both teams.

Bottom Line

As both teams prepare for what promises to be a thrilling contest, the blend of offensive prowess and defensive strategy could very well determine the victor, making this matchup a critical early-season clash.

3 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Ahh you ain’t that old PA. You gotta be about 59 and holding 😃

.LOL ...been holding on to that for awhile now. :)   Headed out now to mow a couple acres before the game tonight.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I probably shouldn't have brought it up lol. It's football season and I don't like to mix politics with sports. Although how a kid wears his hair shouldn't be political but unfortunately that's not the world we live in. 

Think that kid was a very good student also.